About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-08-11, 01:45
Galvaplex Galvaplex is offline
Regular
 
Default Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

I was looking at Textfiles.com when I ran across a large archive of old bbs systems. I think I remember reading that TOTSE started as one of these BBS's.

Here's the stupid question. Are any of these old BBS's from the 80's and 90's still active (or at least accissible?)
 #2 
Old 2002-08-11, 01:50
? ? is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

question 2: Are the online and TOLL FREE possibly???
 #3 
Old 2002-08-11, 02:34
tr0g tr0g is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

quote:
Originally posted by Galvaplex:
I was looking at Textfiles.com when I ran across a large archive of old bbs systems. I think I remember reading that TOTSE started as one of these BBS's.

Here's the stupid question. Are any of these old BBS's from the 80's and 90's still active (or at least accissible?)



Yes totse used to be a Dialup. And yes there are many 1980-90s Dialup BBS still available. If you have any windows Platforms such as win95,98,NT,ME,XP you can access these sites through a program called Telnet.exe or something telnet.

telnet uses the internet to connect to these old dialups. Lets you connect to them without physically dialing into them.

or you can just use your 56k modem and find the number and dial in. Warning, it takes a long time to connect. and its pretty annoying. you also have to know how to use the Menu Keys. each BBS software uses different keys.

 #4 
Old 2002-08-11, 02:35
Simonh Simonh is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

Only one way to find out...there's still plenty of bbs's to telnet to if dial up don't work. If your worried about cost, well, thats what the old beige box is for.
 #5 
Old 2002-08-11, 10:50
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

Well, if you missed the boat the first time around, there's really no point in trying to catch up.

The BBS's of old were cool at the time. Now they're slow and annoying. Even a well designed Remote Access system will make me want to kill someone.

Just let it go man. Just let it go.
 #6 
Old 2002-08-11, 14:29
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

I'm so sad I always wanted to visit a dialup.
 #7 
Old 2002-08-11, 14:49
tr0g tr0g is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

its like going to see a doctor and asking him to put leeches on your infectous wound.
 #8 
Old 2002-08-11, 15:03
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

I dunno. Lunatix was fun.
 #9 
Old 2002-08-11, 15:16
Renegade Renegade is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

My brother was a fan of the BB'S i think he was a regular on a hacking one or something like that round at his friends place. He had alot of fun doing that he was saying "i used to be on a BB'S and get stoned" Ah the days of when it was cool to havea ripped demin jacket and the snes was the best thing since the megadrive.

Peace Renegade,
 #10 
Old 2002-08-11, 19:30
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

I wish I still had my demin jean jacket.
 #11 
Old 2002-08-12, 10:17
Renegade Renegade is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

And a bully in a film had a feather in his ear and wore shades with a golf glove.

*Tears begin to role down my cheek*

No not really my substitue to those days are my 80's movies collection.

Peace Renegade,

Sincerley Yours "The Breakfast Club"
 #12 
Old 2002-08-12, 12:17
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

I'm just sorry I missed out on the experence.
 #13 
Old 2002-08-12, 16:39
Agent Boris_KGB Agent Boris_KGB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

Hey any one know the area code and city that totse used?I belive the state was california.
 #14 
Old 2002-08-12, 16:44
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

Can someone tell me why we aren't living in the 80's? That time seems so much cooler.
 #15 
Old 2002-08-12, 18:02
eth0 eth0 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

From what i have seen, people tend to want to relive the time period when they were growing up. For me, i liked the early nineties. I loved the SNES and Genesis. The gameboy was awesome, i loved the neon colored clothes(a florida thing...) and AOL was awesome back then.
 #16 
Old 2002-08-12, 19:04
Agent Boris_KGB Agent Boris_KGB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

snes...no no no...SES! Yes I still have that somewhere along with my bro's atari...
 #17 
Old 2002-08-12, 21:15
Galvaplex Galvaplex is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

I should have been alive in the 80's. All sorts of cool shit happened then. Textfiles, BBS's, Transformers...who could forget the Transformers? More than meets the eye...

err, sorry. Got off track. *cough*
 #18 
Old 2002-08-12, 22:02
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

Forget the sega genises, I still have my sega master system.

And my ninja turtles.
 #19 
Old 2002-08-12, 22:30
Agent Boris_KGB Agent Boris_KGB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

Oh yes...Ninja turtles ,Ghostbusters,and Batman comics.....
 #20 
Old 2002-08-13, 02:25
Galvaplex Galvaplex is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

^And Optimus Prime could step on all of them in an instant.
 #21 
Old 2002-08-13, 02:34
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

Size isn't everything.
You ever see how much shit the ghostbusters could get into their containment unit.
The turtles would climb all over it and tear out the wiring.
And of course Batman could have done the simple but effective ElectroMagnetic Pulse.

I swear I'm not a child.
 #22 
Old 2002-08-13, 03:43
Galvaplex Galvaplex is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

Even still, there are a helluva lot more Autobots where that came from.

I loved the TMNTs and Ghostbusters too, BTW.
 #23 
Old 2002-08-13, 04:53
JonnyQuest JonnyQuest is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

hmmm 80's to young thank fucking god i agree with eth0 early 90s dont forget grunge music
 #24 
Old 2002-08-13, 05:13
Trippy_McGee Trippy_McGee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

quote:
Originally posted by tr0g:
its like going to see a doctor and asking him to put leeches on your infectous wound.


I take back everything bad I've said about tr0g, EVER.

Or did somebody smart and funny steal his password and start posting as him?

 #25 
Old 2002-08-13, 16:30
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

There is still a vital place for leeches in modern medicine. They are used to drain blood from areas while normal blood vessels are healing. They also produce half a dozen anti-coagulants used in medicine.

And like leeches, bullitan boards still have their place. I know gateway runs a bullitan board so that people with modems but no internet can get software updates.
 #26 
Old 2002-08-13, 17:55
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Stupid Question About Old BBS's...

TSi was still running a telnet version last I heard... But Thrash is a flaky bastard so maybe not.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics