About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-08-07, 07:39
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Brent

passed the turing test?
 #2 
Old 2002-08-07, 13:15
Wintermute Wintermute is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Brent

I think he failed..
 #3 
Old 2002-08-07, 18:20
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Brent

dunno, convinced most folks he was human...
 #4 
Old 2002-08-07, 20:16
confuzious confuzious is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Brent

Brent is his own species... Retardicus Idioticus.

He must have failed.
 #5 
Old 2002-08-07, 23:09
Joe Boo Joe Boo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Brent

quote:
Originally posted by confuzious:
Brent is his own species... Retardicus Idioticus.

He must have failed.



Homodumassian
 #6 
Old 2002-08-08, 01:16
Brent Brent is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Brent

I never took the Turing test, obviously. But I past several IQ tests, scoring from 166 to 185.
 #7 
Old 2002-08-08, 02:11
unstable247 unstable247 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Brent

lol, "past". how high was that score?
 #8 
Old 2002-08-08, 15:09
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Brent

notice how he never directly denies that he's conversational AI. rather he obfuscates and throws in a spelling error to remind us he's human.

[This message has been edited by Jadedfool (edited 08-08-2002).]
 #9 
Old 2002-08-08, 15:39
Brent Brent is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Brent

quote:
:
lol, "past". how high was that score?



Let us just say that I am not quite as linguistically inclined as I once was, owing to a particular... thing... that I shan't mention. Or perhaps 'twas a mere rushing error.

Either way, it is impossible to infer one's general intelligence from such trivial mistakes, even when considering that intelligence transcends the English language; for even if verbal intelligence were the one of my fancy, even the greatest literary giants have been known to make such errors. The editor is employed to correct the common mistakes of the writer, whether his own abilities in writing are worthy of recognition is irrelevant. The spelling and grammatical errors even in the brilliant plays of Shakespeare, in the original drafts, are most immense; and perhaps you, in your ignorance, would doubt his undoubtable genius on account of that.

[This message has been edited by Brent (edited 08-08-2002).]
 #10 
Old 2002-08-08, 17:24
Wintermute Wintermute is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Brent

Your point is invalid.

Shakespeare lived from 1564-1616

Samuel Johnson (the first lexicographer) lived from 1709-1784

Prior to Johnson's dictionary, it was perfectly acceptable to write english however you chose, provided it could be understood. There were no such things as "incorrect" spellings.

But of course, we're the ignorant ones..
 #11 
Old 2002-08-08, 17:31
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Brent

yes, but you're a computer, so you don't count...
 #12 
Old 2002-08-08, 18:03
Brent Brent is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Brent

Originally posted by Wintermute:
Your point is invalid.

Shakespeare lived from 1564-1616

Samuel Johnson (the first lexicographer) lived from 1709-1784

Prior to Johnson's dictionary, it was perfectly acceptable to write english however you chose, provided it could be understood. There were no such things as "incorrect" spellings.


There were undoubtedly no absolute spellings during the Elizabethan era, correct, but there were certain spellings very much prefered, and others frowned upon by the linguistics of the time. Grammatical errors, however, were definately noticed. And Shakespeare was quite apt to those errors; this is a point made by many of Shakespeare's biographers; moreover, I could have mentioned Lord Byron, the third greatest English poet, who, in letters, for example, often spelt "Keats" (another great English poet), "Keet".

My point is still valid. An invalid, or in this case, slightly invalid, example is not necessarily a self-refutation.
 #13 
Old 2002-08-08, 19:12
Regular
 
The land of milk and honey
Default Re: Brent

"Either way, it is impossible to infer one's general intelligence from such trivial mistakes, even when considering that intelligence transcends the English language; for even if verbal intelligence were the one of my fancy, even the greatest literary giants have been known to make such errors. The editor is employed to correct the common mistakes of the writer, whether his own abilities in writing are worthy of recognition is irrelevant. The spelling and grammatical errors even in the brilliant plays of Shakespeare, in the original drafts, are most immense; and perhaps you, in your ignorance, would doubt his undoubtable genius on account of that."

I got a couple of questions for you Brent.
1) Are you a middle age nerd? (or let me guess, a youthful prodigy, rriigghht).
2) Did you ever get picked on?
3) Do you have something up your ass?
4) Have you ever had sex?... Succesfuly?

 #14 
Old 2002-08-08, 19:16
MagKnightX MagKnightX is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Brent

Alright, I agree that Brent can be, and usually is a dumb shit. However, it's not polite to point it out. It is polite to laugh behind his back, however.
 #15 
Old 2002-08-08, 19:18
Regular
 
The land of milk and honey
Default Re: Brent

Wait, I have two more.
1) Do you and your friends have really boring get togethers withought girls, where you sit around and talk as pretentiously as you sound in your posts?
2) "The spelling and grammatical errors even in the brilliant plays of Shakespeare, in the original drafts, are most immense; and perhaps you, in your ignorance, would doubt his undoubtable genius on account of that."
Is it just me, or were you just comparing yourself to Shakespeare? Are we doubting your "undoubtable genius on account" of your spelling error?
 #16 
Old 2002-08-08, 22:09
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Brent

*sighs as the point is lost*
 #17 
Old 2002-08-08, 22:39
ChibiMiko ChibiMiko is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Brent

hehehe I love not being the person being flamed ...

-Chibi

-errr, the turning test?
 #18 
Old 2002-08-08, 22:44
tr0g tr0g is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Brent

quote:
Originally posted by Brent:
I never took the Turing test, obviously. But I past several IQ tests, scoring from 166 to 185.


But not in the spelling section i take it. Thats ok, My spelling sucks too!
 #19 
Old 2002-08-09, 02:36
Brent Brent is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Brent

"1) Are you a middle age nerd? (or let me guess, a youthful prodigy, rriigghht)"

I am 14.

"2) Did you ever get picked on?"

Yes


"3) Do you have something up your ass?"

No.

"4) Have you ever had sex?... Succesfuly?"

Of course not. I am only 14.
 #20 
Old 2002-08-09, 03:04
confuzious confuzious is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Brent

I know MANY people that have had sex at 13 or 14. If you answer "of course not" you obviously have some problems there.
 #21 
Old 2002-08-09, 21:16
Ain Ain is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Brent

quote:
Originally posted by Jadedfool:
*sighs as the point is lost*


I lost it.
But hey lets test him!

Brent
Q:Boxers or briefs?
Q:What word rhymes with Orange?
Q:Paper or plastic?"
Q:When you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Q:If tin whistles are made of tin, what do you make fog horns out of?
Q o robots/androids dream of electronic sheep?
Q:Why isn't phonetic spelled the way it sounds?
Q:What makes Teflon stick to the pan?
Q:If 7-11s are open 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, why do the doors have locks?
 #22 
Old 2002-08-09, 22:04
Bogey Man Bogey Man is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Brent

I don't like Brent, for the most part, but your arguments against him are stupid.

and Confuzious, your 13 or 14 year old friends are trash.
 #23 
Old 2002-08-10, 01:18
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Brent

Cork it bogey. I know a few people too. At least they claimed to. I was so jealous. It was another 5 years before I got the nookie.
 #24 
Old 2002-08-10, 01:34
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Brent

I could sell you an electrified electricity machine if I tried hard enough.
 #25 
Old 2002-08-11, 10:36
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Brent

But I've been dead so long that God forgot about me.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics