About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-07-19, 09:42
Dr Know Dr Know is offline
Regular
 
Default Science section

Who thinks that this bbs should have a science section devoted to sciences such as Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Earth science etc?

All in favour say yes please!

And those against say no way!

Those of you who aren�t shore say why you can�t make up your mind

Dr~know



 #2 
Old 2002-07-19, 12:10
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Science section

Here's thought:

If this is indeed a forum you want, the best way to get it (the forum) is to contact the owner of the Totse Board. Yes, this topic may give an idea as to how many folks are interested, but will probably do little more than that in terms of getting the forum started.

I happen to agree with your idea. The former UserX (Man something now) once called Science of the Damned forum a "voodoo" science forum and wanted a forum of a more sophisticated variety. I agreed then as well.

Sorry I went beyond your simple answer.

Nox
 #3 
Old 2002-07-19, 13:01
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: Science section

I think a more sophisticated science board would be a great idea. And Nox is right. You should email JC Stanton about this. In your email you could direct him to this post showing that people would like such a board.
 #4 
Old 2002-07-19, 14:59
Chunkmiester Chunkmiester is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Science section

You have got my total support Dr Know, my science field is mainly physics and i have no where to talk about it, i sometimes need to ask questions about thermodynamics or electromagneticdynamics or even something simple like energy transfer. But if you email JC Stanton i am sure he will look into it, i think his address is something like "jcstanton at totse dot com" (thats for "no spam" reasons)

Chunkmiester
 #5 
Old 2002-07-19, 15:50
tHeRoBoT49 tHeRoBoT49 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Science section

I totally agree with you, Doc. We should have a forum dedicated to real science, not just aliens, ghosts, dreams, etc. The only questions in Science of the Damned that would probably belong in your suggested forum are the ones about modern physics (time travel, relativity, multiple dimensions).
 #6 
Old 2002-07-19, 21:41
MR.SMITH MR.SMITH is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Science section

yes please!
 #7 
Old 2002-07-22, 13:08
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Science section

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese lets have a science forum
 #8 
Old 2002-07-22, 13:49
Viper2002 Viper2002 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Science section

I emailed JC a few weeks or so back to see if he had considered a programming or web development forum, he did not reply so I don�t know he might be thinking about it. I think any forum that has relative potential here will become a reality in time; it just takes enough support and time for the busy people who run this site to get around to doing it.

I also agree a science forum would be fitting, I think the more specific each forum becomes the higher the quality of the content will be, after all adding more forums will just mean more users come to Totse. If more forums are added it will allow users to correctly place their posts and give the mod�s somewhere to move topics that would seem more fitting else were without dumping them in spurious or Bitch. The benefits in my eyes of further developing the Totse BBS are unlimited, for both the users/admins and the site owners.

VIPER
 #9 
Old 2002-07-22, 15:07
Global Dominator Global Dominator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Science section

Most definately a science section like you propose. I am a little weak in physics, higher level chemistry, and a couple of other things and I have many questions.
 #10 
Old 2002-07-22, 15:42
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Science section

Global, you realy live in MI? We should get together some time and blow something up.
 #11 
Old 2002-07-22, 17:49
bunghole bunghole is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Science section

yes please!
 #12 
Old 2002-07-22, 20:50
Global Dominator Global Dominator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Science section

quote:
Originally posted by Prometheus:
Global, you realy live in MI? We should get together some time and blow something up.


I am most definately in Michigan, the only state fit to live in. We have it all, mountains, desert, a piece of 4 of the 5 Great Lakes, ready access to Canada when you need to make a getaway, etc., etc., etc. Come to think of it, I haven't blown up anything in at least two weeks, too busy with the penetration tests on various types of metal with different ammunition. Who would have thought a .22 Hornet could cut through 8 inches of pine and still make a hole in 12 gauge sheet steel? What are you working on?
 #13 
Old 2002-07-22, 20:54
Wintermute Wintermute is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Science section

wtf, michigan is the most boring place on earth that I've had the misfortune to end up in!.

yeah, the lakes are ok, but geezus, there's not a decent city in the whole goddamn state.
 #14 
Old 2002-07-22, 21:47
Bongman Bongman is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Science section

I think Science of the Damned can cover the formentioned topics.
 #15 
Old 2002-07-23, 00:33
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: Science section

quote:
Originally posted by Bongman:
I think Science of the Damned can cover the formentioned topics.


No, it cannot.

Read the description of that forum: "UFO's, cattle mutilations, ghosts, and all that puesdo-science stuff."

Clearly it is not meant for "real" science.

I would like to see one, though, as I too am into science [I was a physics major while I was going to UC Berkeley.
 #16 
Old 2002-07-23, 02:25
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Science section

I'd like to see a forum like that. Probably one of the reasons against it though is the high likelyhood of it becoming about drugs,explosives, and shit like that. Even though there are already forums for that stuff it would still end up in the science one.
 #17 
Old 2002-07-23, 12:31
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: Science section

Even if that were true, the mods of the forum would move them,eh?

[This message has been edited by Metaphysicist (edited 07-23-2002).]
 #18 
Old 2002-07-23, 17:10
Global Dominator Global Dominator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Science section

Wintermute, you must have spent too much time in Benton Harbor, Detroit, Pontiac, or God forbid, Flint (where the weak are killed and eaten).
 #19 
Old 2002-07-23, 18:26
preying mantis preying mantis is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Science section

Heres my name on the list
 #20 
Old 2002-07-23, 21:23
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Science section

not working on anything except reaction formulas right now. always designing something bigger and better. I'm thinking of blowing out the supports in some of the abandoned houses in detroit that need to be taken down anyway.

Anyone who says MI is boring has never dodged bullets in one of our illusterious trailer parks, shot deer in our froests, or visited spectacular downtown Royal Oak where you can't take two steps without bumping into someone with green hair done up in spikes.
 #21 
Old 2002-07-23, 22:26
tr0g tr0g is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Science section

science of the dammed?
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics