|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread. |
 |
|
#1
 2002-06-05, 03:14
|
person101 
Regular
|
|
|
|
destiny
i think destiny exists and that possibly one day a computer fast enough and programmed correctly could compute every humans every action and predict the rest of the world..
yalls thoughts?
|
|
#2
 2002-06-05, 04:07
|
MR.SMITH 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: destiny
Woah you went from common place theroy to off the wall science fiction. I don't know if destiny is true, because i am not sure if there is a divine spirit(god) or not. If god does not exist then i suppose life may just be a big equation, and things are planned to happen. But if it(god) did exist, destiny would be shot to hell because everyone would have a soul, and control thier own destiny.
|
|
#3
 2002-06-05, 04:26
|
Syntex 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: destiny
Um, I don't believe in "destiny" mainly because I am agnostic.
Besides, we are nothing but bacteria all joined togethere. So what would us bacteria need destiny for?
|
|
#4
 2002-06-05, 05:22
|
|
|
Re: destiny
Destiny is bullshit. Were all of Andrea Yates children "destined" to die from their psychotic Mom? Were babies that died from S.I.D.S. "destined" to die that way? If I decide to go out and get a gun and shoot a bunch of people for no particular reason, was it predetermined?
Destiny is complete bullshit, it's something someone invented to try to imply that something is pulling the strings and making shit happen. If destiny exists then everything is predetermined, "destined", whatever you want to call it and all we are doing is acting it out like a movie.
|
|
#5
 2002-06-05, 05:22
|
|
Moderator
|
|
Facedown in the shag rug.
|
|
Re: destiny
If you're speaking of destiny as a path determined by a higher power, then no. I don't think a computer can simulate God.
If destiny is just a calculated response to certain stimuli (people are robots who don't really control their actions), then I think it would be possible to predict events via some computer algorithm.
Either way, I don't really see it happening anytime soon. Even if it's made into a Tom Cruise movie.
|
|
#6
 2002-06-05, 06:02
|
qbob666 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: destiny
if that ever happened what would be the point of living? i think it would suck to always know what is going to happen although it would be good to have something like that for shit like 9-11 cuz im tired of all the security and crap, you almost cant even shoplift anymore
|
|
#7
 2002-06-05, 08:55
|
R0NiN 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: destiny
I believe that we each create our own destiny, for example you choose to die on the battle field as a hero. I have chosen my path, but I can change it just like any of you could. I don�t believe in a higher power choosing it for me.
|
|
#8
 2002-06-05, 13:46
|
confuzious 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: destiny
I think you could compute he future, but you would have to know everything about every little atom as it is now, so it's actually impossible, because of the uncertainty principle.
By the way, has anyone read the foundation series by asimov?
|
|
#9
 2002-06-06, 04:05
|
person101 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: destiny
quote: Originally posted by ThetaReactor:
If destiny is just a calculated response to certain stimuli (people are robots who don't really control their actions), then I think it would be possible to predict events via some computer algorithm.
yes thats exactly what i meant... not destiny as in a higher power controlling people, but destiny as in certain impulses are sent over the brain as a result of certain stimuli therefore human reactions are only an animal like, predictable response to their environments; just much more complex quote: Either way, I don't really see it happening anytime soon. Even if it's made into a Tom Cruise movie
Lol i wasn't even thinking of that thoe... maybe it was subliminal 
|
|
#10
 2002-06-06, 09:28
|
cntrdcton0fate 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: destiny
"All time is all time. It does not change. It does not lend itself to warnings or explanations. It simply is. Take it moment by moment, and you will find that we are all, as I've said before, bugs in amber."
|
|
#11
 2002-06-06, 09:35
|
|
Regular
|
|
the happy land of australia
|
|
Re: destiny
heres a thought i had, not really related to this, but anyway.
people define reality as what they can see and stuff. but lets say you can look at the world not through your brain, but through something else, like a window or something. all you would see is matter moving around with no purpose or control (hey, it does fit in, who would have guessed) or meaning. there would be no sound, no smells, all they would be is moveing particles. what we see our world as does not mean that is what it is like.
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|