|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread. |
 |
|
#1
 2002-04-28, 19:40
|
neon 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Don't Be Late
quandry states in another thread that he had an IQ of 149. Wow that's high. Anybody else here that wood like to spell the beans and reveal what their true abilities might be, as measured by current psychometric testing procedures? And ruin it for the rest of us.
|
|
#2
 2002-04-28, 19:46
|
I Love Poop 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Don't Be Late
Know of any reputable online IQ tests that we could take and post our results?
I'd also like to see one done on STREET SMARTS as well lol.
|
|
#3
 2002-04-28, 20:07
|
emerikan 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Don't Be Late
i don't have the IQ to string a complete. i think it in the double digit. as for street smart im likewise disable. some called me once an mental emotional invalid. and im crippled too.
|
|
#4
 2002-04-28, 20:13
|
neon 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Don't Be Late
Let's start of nice and slow. Try http://www.humanforsale.com for starters.
i don't believe in IQ tests myself.
i find it hard to swallow that one can measure a mans true ability by some lousy numbers.
But i have studied the history of intelligence tests myself very tasty indeed. i have met many an person who measured astronomically high with restrictions, who was little more than emotionally crippled isnide.
|
|
#5
 2002-04-28, 20:22
|
Not Fred 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Don't Be Late
IQ testing is bogus. There is no such thing as IQ. It is an extremely limited means of measuring some aspects of mental capacity, devised by inferior minds, and anyone can be trained in a short time to increase their results on an IQ test by 30% or more.
IQ testing is for inferior people who want to feel superior. MENSA is a real joke. Anyone who admits to being in MENSA is admitting to being mentally reatarded if not brain dead
Fred.
|
|
#6
 2002-04-28, 20:25
|
quandary 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Don't Be Late
my average is 144.5 but i could go a lot higher than that, i just answer all the questions in half the time and cant be bothered to check over them
|
|
#7
 2002-04-28, 20:43
|
neon 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Don't Be Late
Well that's good. But i agree with Fred inasmuch that IQ test are bogus. Study the history of psychometric testing, you will be completely surprised at the foundations.
|
|
#8
 2002-04-28, 21:00
|
|
Regular
|
|
Downey California
|
|
Re: Don't Be Late
I.Q. tests are not fucking bogus, they just measure a certain type of intelligence. If you want to be liberal about it, just call them bias, at worst.
|
|
#9
 2002-04-28, 21:22
|
|
Regular
|
|
Behind the boat house
|
|
Re: Don't Be Late
I took a real IQ test last year at a community college and I tested at 142.
Cheers, Lost
|
|
#10
 2002-04-29, 14:54
|
|
Super Moderator
|
|
Sebastopol CA
|
|
Re: Don't Be Late
Last I tested, it was 147. That was my senior year in high school, though; many chemicals and many dead brain-cells ago  . Though, I would still consider myself reasonably intelligent.
|
|
#11
 2002-04-29, 19:46
|
neon 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Don't Be Late
i believe that is possible Meta. That seems rather high to me.
[This message has been edited by neon (edited 04-29-2002).]
|
|
#12
 2002-04-29, 21:39
|
Wintermute 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Don't Be Late
I took the standardised mensa test when I was 15 or so..
not telling the results though.. noone'd believe me.
|
|
#13
 2002-04-30, 00:14
|
neon 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Don't Be Late
D'oh!
Alright i'll bite Wintermute. And why wouldn't i believe you?
i do hope that you're not going to refer to the statistical correlation between SAT scores and productivity in the economic sector, i.e. job performance/capability and salary ranges. That is just further proof that IQ testing procedures are severely flawed.
[This message has been edited by neon (edited 04-30-2002).]
|
|
#14
 2002-04-30, 00:25
|
Wintermute 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Don't Be Late
you'd think I was exaggerating or lying.
|
|
#15
 2002-04-30, 02:59
|
|
Moderator
|
|
Facedown in the shag rug.
|
|
Re: Don't Be Late
Ummm.... I don't recall any specific numbers, but I've ranked 99th percentile on pretty much every standardized test I can recall. 'Course, that only proves I'm good at taking tests. I scored 800 on the verbal portion of the SAT 1, but only 640 on the math section. I blame this not on any innate ability, but rather on a moronic and incapable Algebra II teacher that never showed me how to apply formulas. I do think I can think more logically and abstractly than some people, and I grasp concepts quickly, but I don't see myself as a superior genius. In fact, embarassment at the praise I've recieved has probably contributed to my somewhat introverted personality. It sucks to get looked to for all the answers.
So, IQ tests are bullshit as far as real intelligence goes. Modern education emphasizes memorization, not logical thought. Tests are just recall, recognition, and educated guesses. I could probably get into Mensa, but I have a thing against snobbish yuppie scum.
(Forgive me if I'm overly cynical of society in general-- I'm halfway through my annual reading of 1984.)
|
|
#16
 2002-04-30, 03:36
|
|
|
Re: Don't Be Late
quote: you'd think I was exaggerating or lying.
neither. You�re playing poker ...
|
|
#17
 2002-04-30, 04:59
|
DoPesTeR-DaZe 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Don't Be Late
I know a 15 year old with an iq of 178 now thats high.
Neon, an IQ test doesn seek to measure a mans true ability, it measures Intelligence Quotient.
I agree with lokil they are not bogus, psychometric testing isnt completely accurate but its a far cry from bogus.
True that some of the iq tests out there are unreliable but that is no reason to pooh pooh the whole concept.
|
|
#18
 2002-04-30, 16:30
|
neon 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Don't Be Late
Let's Get The Ball Rolling
i admit to knowing nothing more than having studied the roots of intelligence testing in the middle ages. That is how one branch of mathematics was invented i do believe.
As far as actual intelligence tests, well, i know that they are unreliable. Believe it. SWIM has a sibling who measures very high. But only has a GED and of course nothihg to show for it.
Wintermute... please explain yourself. i have heard of and met people with IQ's that measure well close to 200.
i still claim that they are an indecent and trivial measure of mans intelligence capabilities.
First, let's considering how complex the human mind is (read: nobody knows) let alone how the immune system of a lowly fruit fly works except that it is several times stronger/potent than the human immune system.
i think that one can more or less just laugh at a 10, 20, 30 or even 60 minutes or longer test that would tend to create the illusion that it can rate ones mental skills. And accurately so. You cannot ignore the dynamic nature of the human mind.
The word junk science does come to mind.
edit: over : close to
[This message has been edited by neon (edited 04-30-2002).]
|
|
#19
 2002-04-30, 16:53
|
|
Super Moderator
|
|
Sebastopol CA
|
|
Re: Don't Be Late
quote: Originally posted by neon: i believe that is possible Meta. That seems rather high to me.
[This message has been edited by neon (edited 04-29-2002).]
It is rather high. The [considered] IQ for "genius" is around 143 or so [I believe]. [Trying to sound modest, but knowing it's not working] I've always been real bright. I was put into the gifted minor program as one of the first 'recruits' when it started in the district where I grew up [this was around 1969, or so]. High school was a breeze [3.833 GPA, and I made hardly an effort]. I aced through my first A.S, degree [4.0], then was accepted into UC Berkeley. I think that because I didn't need to put any effort into anything that came before Berkeley, is part of the reason I had trouble there [busted my butt to make just a 2.1]. I know that I'm above average in intelligence, but I try not to hold that over any one's head. And though it probably sounds like I'm bragging here, I'm really trying not to.
|
|
#20
 2002-04-30, 17:22
|
Wintermute 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Don't Be Late
bleh, I don't wanna say.. let's just say it's a fair bit above everyone else that posted so far and leave it at that...
|
|
#21
 2002-04-30, 18:02
|
TOWCHBob 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Don't Be Late
134
|
|
#22
 2002-04-30, 18:33
|
neon 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Don't Be Late
quote: Originally posted by neon: Let's Get The Ball Rolling Wintermute... please explain yourself. i have heard of and met people with IQ's that measure well close to 200.
Actually this statement was a bold faced lie. i originally only intended to highlight the extreme lack of seriousness that this issue gets. i have accomplished my task. i have said it before i'll say it again. i believe that for the most part psychometrics and intelligence testing procedure belong in the realm of Twilight Zone Science. Junk Science. Bunk. Hokum. Nonsense. Jive. Wintermute, methinks that you are doing little else but bluffing. So can i just throw an arbitrary number at you, say like 100 if only for the purposes of this discussion? Isn't that average. After all you have come to the table with nothing but so much deception, sleaziness and nonsensical taunting that it leads me to question your real motivations for being here. You're losing it. [This message has been edited by neon (edited 04-30-2002).]
|
|
#23
 2002-04-30, 19:16
|
Wintermute 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Don't Be Late
eh, think what you want.
|
|
#24
 2002-04-30, 19:36
|
quandary 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Don't Be Late
please tell us,
ill show you mine if you show me yours
|
|
#25
 2002-04-30, 23:32
|
neon 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Don't Be Late
i fully intend to. Ah, and i do think what i want to, no matter how much or many arbitrary, meaningless and truly suspect grade school mathematical nonsense statistics you try to throw my way. Have a good day Wintermute.
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|