About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-03-02, 19:57
-=-goatboy-=- -=-goatboy-=- is offline
Regular
 
Default subculture

I've been thinking recently about subculture. Not too hard of course, but at least for five minutes.
I want to start up a subculture of my own, or else find one that is similar so that I can take the forefront.

Help me out here; I thought about my optimum subculture, and it turned out like this. Does this sound cool to anyone else, or does something like this already exist? (Not only on a personal level, but as a complete subculture)

MINDSET
-=-Promotes intelligence/creativity/free thought
-=-Puts emphasis on not only doing things, but doing things better.
-=-Promotes a sort of qualitative je'i'toh* respect expectation. (He who deserves respect is given it, he who does not, is not.)

CLOTHING/STYLE "Style is [still] everything"
-=-Relaxed clothing
-=-Relaxed lifestyle
-=-Strong emphasis on symbolism
-=-Anything beyond normal clothing should be symbolic
-=-When you aren't relaxing, live on the edge
 #2 
Old 2002-03-02, 20:03
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: subculture

You need a band.
 #3 
Old 2002-03-03, 00:01
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: subculture

That describes my thought processes to a tee. I've never considered it as a subculture, just a way of being a little different.

~Zero the Inestimable
 #4 
Old 2002-03-03, 03:27
Trippy_McGee Trippy_McGee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: subculture

Subcultures only work out if they're incredibly pretentious. Assuming you could even establish a culture like you described, it would have no silly bastard like you in the forefront.
 #5 
Old 2002-03-03, 03:29
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: subculture

yes its called the *nix comunity.

its also called the "fuck it" method. any real skater will pratice the "fuck it" method (emphasis o real and not some poser crap).
 #6 
Old 2002-03-03, 09:27
-=-goatboy-=- -=-goatboy-=- is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: subculture

Shit.
I guess I have to think more narrowly. Regardless,... there is no regardless.

Well, then I'll lean more towards making my subculture mainstream. I'll just need to be on mtv.

I'm not so sure *nixers 'live on the edge'. But I could be wrong.
Hrmm, maybe I should add certain hobbies/attire to the list of style/clothing...without being anal retentive.

NOTE: I drank waaaay too much coffee today. And that's no easy task.
 #7 
Old 2002-03-03, 12:10
Thought Intron Thought Intron is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: subculture

drinking way too much coffee is easy if sleeping is a secondary concern. hey, if you take a subculture mainstream doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a subculture?
mtv makes it into popular culture doesn't it?
ahh forget it what do i know. what's up g'?
 #8 
Old 2002-03-03, 12:57
neverright neverright is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: subculture

What is the purpose of having a sub-culture?
How do you have a sub-culture?

I know I'm stupid.
Humor me please.
 #9 
Old 2002-03-03, 15:18
ACER ACER is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: subculture

Hey goatboy your about three decades too late they were called hippy's...
 #10 
Old 2002-03-04, 03:45
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: subculture

The last Goth club in Orange County closed last Saturday.
 #11 
Old 2002-03-04, 05:00
-=-goatboy-=- -=-goatboy-=- is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: subculture

The way I knew I drank too much coffee:
I am not kept awake by caffiene (ADD). I drank a whole pot yesterday before I went to work (Starbucks). No big deal, I was still tired that evening (although I couldn't always correctly turn left since it suppressed my appetite and I was dizzy). Then I went to Tom Jones' and drank a few cups there. That stuff is stiff. I didn't even want to go to sleep. I played Pinball.

Hippies were dirty. Hippies did not promote intelligence, nor did they promote doing things 'better'. Respect was worthless to hippies.
Relaxed does not mean dirty.
This also has a broader symbolic scope.

ech, hippies.
 #12 
Old 2002-03-04, 15:03
Regular
 
-
Default Re: subculture

beatnicks, beatnicks stemmed from the art collages and jazz holes. all they did was think. they also heavilly promoted and image. and how more sybolic can u get to non conformatism (sp?) than finger clicking instead of clapping, what a statement...well not really. but they were as far as i know the first real breakers of the mould into the whole weird dress scence thing and trying to get a new way of thinking (i'm sure their are some classical exceptions) and that was in the 40's and 50's when any change was destined to be stagnent and slow.

sorry i'm still a bit drunk from last night.
 #13 
Old 2002-03-04, 20:02
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: subculture

AAAAH dub!! you got me!!! I was one post too late. Yes this subculture you want to restart is called the beat culture. There really is nothing like it nowadays, some small pockets exist here and there, but generally intellectual, culturally involved, adventurous yet laidback individuals are few and far between.

As far as everyone else said, no hippies do not fit this description, nor do goths, or skaters, or anyone.
 #14 
Old 2002-03-04, 21:29
jack's missing mind jack's missing mind is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: subculture

There's still a few of the beat's living in New York. I saw a couple playing guitar not too long ago in a cafe at like 1 in the morning. Interesting experience.
 #15 
Old 2002-03-04, 21:47
g0Anis g0Anis is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: subculture

subculture is noculture.


*I have subculture in my pants*
 #16 
Old 2002-03-05, 01:16
sinetific sinetific is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: subculture

http://www.subculture.com
 #17 
Old 2002-03-05, 04:45
-=-goatboy-=- -=-goatboy-=- is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: subculture

Ah beatniks. That would be cool to recreate, only without the crappy title.
oh, and without the stupid snapping.

Perhaps with a little more drive, but not so much that you lose the relaxivity.

I'm a waiter. I went into work today and I made $2. Hourly that comes out to like $3 an hour (with wages).
I'm pissed.

Very very disillusioned with the world.
very.
blow up!
 #18 
Old 2002-03-05, 06:52
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: subculture

Oh the original beats had alot of drive, mainly when it came to having fun.

What kinda shitty job is that? Aren't there any labor laws where you live? I don't get off my ass for anything less than 150 a day 200 if I'm running my saw.
 #19 
Old 2002-03-05, 15:34
-=-goatboy-=- -=-goatboy-=- is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: subculture

Normally, I make $70-odd for 5 hours.

But I'm bitter now, and have been for some time. Not to mention, my job goes against everything I stand for.
 #20 
Old 2002-03-05, 23:41
sawmangler sawmangler is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: subculture

will your subculture be wearing any hats?
i'm not much into hats but, if you'll make the old "pork-pie" hats a part of the dress code, i'll join. (at least long enough to get a hat... really hard to find nowadays.)
i agree the snapping thing was a bit much, but i like/d the name "beatniks" so many ways it can be interpreted - dig it, hep-cat?

beat-mangler
or
sawmangler-nik
 #21 
Old 2002-03-06, 03:40
-=-goatboy-=- -=-goatboy-=- is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: subculture

hepkats!
 #22 
Old 2002-03-06, 08:02
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: subculture

beat mangler!! I like that! sounds like a good dj name.
 #23 
Old 2002-03-06, 08:12
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: subculture

ummm, hate to burst your bubble, but the hippies were direct descendants of the beatnicks. Can't remember who exactly, but one of the higher ups actually got on stage, proclaimed the death of the beatnick and the birth of the hippy.

*evil grin*
 #24 
Old 2002-03-07, 04:07
jack's missing mind jack's missing mind is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: subculture

So? Punks and cyberpunks were direct descendents of hippies. Punks are often aggresive and claim to be fiercely independent, as well as distrusting of intellectuals. Cyberpunks are technology addicts. Hippies were neither.
 #25 
Old 2002-03-07, 05:01
Chimera Chimera is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: subculture

are beatnicks the people in coffee shops playing songs with odd lyrics and poetry? not odd like bad, but more like to a different beat that nowadays, just tryin to make sure.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics