About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-01-24, 20:10
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Deadalas Maneuver

I henceforth deem the following actions on this board be known as the Deadalas maneuver:
-Creating a second username to somehow boost the prestige of your other one.
-Using a second username to appear to be a H@X0R and bring down your old one, in an effort to gain prestige and respect.
-Otherwise using the anonymity of the internet to be kewl!!!

So anyone second the motion?

BTW what is 1337 as in "I'm a 1337 H4X0R"
 #2 
Old 2002-01-24, 20:17
The_Famicommie The_Famicommie is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Deadalas Maneuver

Elite.
 #3 
Old 2002-01-24, 20:20
Infestation Infestation is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Deadalas Maneuver

elite adj.

Clueful. Plugged-in. One of the cognoscenti. Also used as a general positive adjective. This term is not actually native hacker slang; it is used primarily by crackers and warez d00dz, for which reason hackers use it only with heavy irony. The term used to refer to the folks allowed in to the "hidden" or "privileged" sections of BBSes in the early 1980s (which, typically, contained pirated software). Frequently, early boards would only let you post, or even see, a certain subset of the sections (or `boards') on a BBS. Those who got to the frequently legendary `triple super secret' boards were elite. Misspellings of this term in warez d00dz style abound; the forms `l337' `eleet', and `31337' (among others) have been sighted.
http://www.tuxedo.org/%7eesr/jargon/
 #4 
Old 2002-01-24, 21:32
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: Deadalas Maneuver

You know me: I don't like to be picky [and if you believe that...], but don't you mean Daedalus ?
 #5 
Old 2002-01-24, 22:24
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Deadalas Maneuver

Well Meta, that's bein' picky, actually his name is Daedalas it is misspelled but I got the ae mixed up. Go check this boob out in the Bad Ideas Forum, Hiroshima/Daedalas whatever, it's funny shit.

Thx guys for the 411 on the 1337.

 #6 
Old 2002-01-25, 00:54
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: Deadalas Maneuver

You're right. I didn't even check. I transpose letters all the time. Sorry, my bad.

And, yeah, I just got back from Bad Ideas. And I did take notice of him. Seems like there's also a couple of other real sh*ts [Brent comes to mind but I don't want to mention any names ].


Actually I think that Mr. B was in Bitch & Moan - Don't want anyone getting picky with me, now.

[This message has been edited by Metaphysicist (edited 01-25-2002).]
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics