About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2001-05-21, 08:49
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

So there's this #totse chan on slashnet.org, right?

Enigma registered it, right?

Jadedfool was running it, right?

Now it's been taken over by Slashnet/Pigdog/Department of Justice agents of the Dark Lord.

Jadedfool took over #totse? Stealing it, in effect?

Enigma, could you explain this? JC? Jaded? Emad? Anyone from the DOJ or CIA or FBI or NSA or EPA or FAA? Someone?

And Templeton thinks that the DOJ is involved in this. I dunno. I think he's on meth or something. Paranoid and all. Naked Lunch almost.

I could do without drama. A logical explaination would be keen.
 #2 
Old 2001-05-21, 09:17
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

All I have to say is that #totse has lost it's sovereignty. The room is filled with snoops, irc administrators, and people with government connections that do nothing to preserve the community that the ops worked hard to create. Imagine..."emad" a henchmen from the Dept. of Justice, holding the room hostage...

Re-instate ops! For the good of the channel!

[This message has been edited by Lokil (edited 05-21-2001).]
 #3 
Old 2001-05-21, 09:20
White Witch White Witch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

OP me

ok just take it back. no, create your own irc network. irc.totse.com
 #4 
Old 2001-05-21, 14:37
Dewtard Dewtard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

Well, we were trying not to mention any of this in the channel or board, and just wait and see what happens. But now that its already out...
"And Templeton thinks that the DOJ is involved in this. I dunno. I think he's on meth or something."

Z3m, if you look at emads IP, its from DOJ.gov (department of justice). So yes, this does have a lot to do with them.

Enigma was the first to register the channel, but being as enigmatic as he is, he didn't show up often enough and the system forgot, so they were no longer under his name. Now to keep anyone else from stealing these, Jadedfool registered them and were running them ever since. And I have to say he was doing a good job, too.

Now enigma has friends in #tron, the people that did beta testing for his site. Tron heard about some of the things that were happening in #totse and the word got to enigma. Enigma then decided he wanted the channels back and didn't want to distribute ops anymore.

This is a quote from enigma in channel #tron that I don't think I was supposed to see.

"Just for the record I will no longer be giving out ops"

I may have some of the wording wrong cause it was a few days ago, but that's exactly what he meant. Normally they would kick one of us out, but I was running from a jirc applet I put on my site and altered it to connect to it. So they couldn't do a version check on me. (When they did find out who I was they kicked me out and then put up a ban, banning all jirc users.)

So now... #totse has no ops, and theres usually 3 sys ops in there (CrackMonkey, emad, and Gullie). The channel is constantly being logged, so we have to be carefull what we say in there.
 #5 
Old 2001-05-21, 15:16
krazd krazd is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

hhmmmmm, I told The real about this guy who blew up his leg with a htmd cratormaker and he posted the link and all info in bad ideas or BB, anyway do you think that this guy telling the cops about totse is the reason for all this shit?
 #6 
Old 2001-05-21, 15:55
The Real The Real is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

That really pisses me off, to the point I'm pondering leaving totse. WTF!

 #7 
Old 2001-05-21, 17:50
Templeton Templeton is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

It was just speculation on my part, and for the most part it was my fault that this happened. That does not give anyone the right to harass and intimidate the members of Totse though. I think it's great that these people know what they know, knowledge is power. Although using said knowledge to lord over others just sucks. Yeah maybe everyone didn't get along in #Totse all the time, but we were still a community. And for the most part we kept to ourselves.

I thought this place was about freedom, freedom of speech for free thinkers??
 #8 
Old 2001-05-21, 18:07
othium othium is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

I was starting to wonder why I could not enter #tron.

------------------
cogito, ergo sum
 #9 
Old 2001-05-21, 18:20
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

Enigma registered #Totse, then let it lapse. I re-registered as a stopgap to prevent someone else who had no problem abusing the register ability to do so. I followed the nearly nonexistent framework of rules enigma had set out, and I sent him notification of what I had done along with the channel passwords. With no reply. Go figure.

Then I hear that I stole the channel, with no notification from him whatsoever, third string. I sent him mail asking for the lowdown, I continue to get ignored. It's basically a crock, any respect I had for him is on the way out...
 #10 
Old 2001-05-21, 18:20
Templeton Templeton is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

They wont let you in #Tron if you use windows. Simple as that.
 #11 
Old 2001-05-21, 20:48
cntrdcton0fate cntrdcton0fate is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns


Enigma's deliberate absence from seemingly any activity to do with &Totse is frankly sort of scary. #Totse, if you don't mind my words, can be replaced.. I'm mean we can all just agree on somewhere else to get together in the name of this site. So losing it seems like an expense... though I wouldn't ignore the work Jaded seems to have done, I had no idea you had used your own time so that we may talk here... thanks. Still, anyway... is it me or do these events, like what Dewtart reported, point to the chance that Enigma seems to be bored of running &Totse, which I suppose is only a hobby of his, 'cause I half doubt he makes money off it,... All of which is of course his business... but if this is true could we be looking at a situation where he just gives up on this place. It may be a hobby for him... but it's a lot more to some people here.... maybe I'm looking at the situation as more dire than it is... but I was wondering what other people thought Enigmas future action are gonna be. I'd ask him... but you know...
 #12 
Old 2001-05-21, 20:58
Diluted Diluted is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

the story has been said.
Umm.. it sucks man. Bitching wont solve anything, someone needs to take charge..
*feels courage*...*never mind, X that*

I think the quickest way to anarchy is for the people to be upset with the leader.. no?
 #13 
Old 2001-05-21, 21:18
White Witch White Witch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

I want to see an article on this guy who blew his legs off. What city did it happen. there has to be something on the internet about it. can someone find out please. Why the fuck should we be blamed. Im often telling some of the people not to make bombs. its one thing to learn about shit its another to go out and do it.
 #14 
Old 2001-05-21, 21:25
Dewtard Dewtard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

It seems to me as if enigma just gave totse to the government as a tool for them to use to analize illegal happenings. They just use us to see what people know and all the things were capable of thinking of, then stop it before it can happen.

The entire time I was in #Tron, enigma didn't even agknowledge my existence. I would be like "hey enigma" and he wouldn't say a word until one of the sys ops said something to him directly, asking him about how his site was going or something. Then he would respond to that in a matter of seconds. I gave it a few tries until finally they kicked me out.

Enigma isn't anything I thought he was. He doesn't care about his users at all. To him, were just pawns making his community a bigger and more popular place. I don't even really care anymore, although I don't think I would just leave totse. The only way I would leave Totse is if one of us started a new BBS, and most of the people from here went there instead. Ain has one, although his isn't focused on anything in particular but more of various subjects. It's a great place but it would be best to have a site run be the users. No big administrator like enigma who won't even talk to us.

So overall, I think &totse died. All we need to do is start over. Anyone else have any ideas, or think this is a good one?
 #15 
Old 2001-05-21, 21:44
Dewtard Dewtard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

Oh, and one more thing. If we were to start a new place up and got a new channel, lets not use slashnet. Just to keep us farther away from totse and all the sys ops there. We need to start off fresh.
 #16 
Old 2001-05-21, 21:52
Diluted Diluted is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

I personaly think we should name our generation, throw in the towel...
(just about a year here now)
and let the youngins start fresh.

I guess I'll follow the Ain Board/IRC path.

*blank look*
 #17 
Old 2001-05-21, 22:29
Cokeboy Cokeboy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

I'm new, and had no idea that all this wierd stuff was going on, and frankly I'm still confused. Could someone explain to me whats going on in words of one syllable or less?
While I'm at it I can hardly ever get into the #Totse channel in chat, it comes up with "you cannot enter this channel (+b)", or some similar shit, and after reading this I had a look at #Tron, only to get kicked off within 10seconds of gettin in there! Neo-Nazi fuckhead bastards! *sigh*
Did some muppet really blow his legs off? Poor bloke and all, but really if you play with fire your gonna get burnt.
 #18 
Old 2001-05-21, 23:20
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

theres an auto-ban on all aol ip's.
 #19 
Old 2001-05-21, 23:26
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

So the doj basically owns the site? The FBI has already tried to shut down the site (according to an early morning conversation with Winston Smith)

So maybe a deal? You let us know everything and you can keep up yer hobby.
 #20 
Old 2001-05-22, 00:02
Ain Ain is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

I know how you all feel. I was in #totse when all of this went down. And it was really fucked up. Who is to blame? Not Templeton He was looking out for the Chan and trying to stop the sys ops from taking it over. Not Jadedfool I was there when he registered the Chan after Enigma lost it. And at the time it had to be done. There were too many people talking about registering it.

We are the totse community. And everyone of us have been very loyal to this site. Coming here every day reading and posting exchanging thoughts and Idea's. Telling our friends and people we meet on the net about it. I've seen this board grow from 2000 members in Dec. to over 13,000 to date. And if it was not for our loyalty and devotion to this site it would not have happened. However it seems Enigma's loyalty is to his drinking buddy's. Who would rather see #totse ran into the ground. Where have these buddy's been? I have never seen a post by emad, crackmonkey, or gullie. They are not a part of this community. They have not done jack shit to contribute to the growth of this site. However Enigma has seen fit to give them control.

Enigma wants suggestions from us on how to better his site. Wants us to make banners and submit them. Wants us to contribute to the files on totse. Wants the Mods to do all the shit work. And we don't even get a fucking T-shirt. No thanks. No show of appreciation for all the time and effort the members of totse put into the site. However what we do get from him is shafted. Hard and with out a kiss. I feel as used as all the rest of you. But after thinking about it. My Loyalty has never been to Enigma. He has hardly been here. My loyalty is to you the community. The people I interact with on a daily basis. That is where the relationships have formed. And Friends have been made. And there is nothing emad, crackmonkey, gullie, or Enigma can do to take that. However hard they may try.



------------------

Ain
 #21 
Old 2001-05-22, 00:57
Dewtard Dewtard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

damn... that was a classic.


I LOVE YOU AIN!
 #22 
Old 2001-05-22, 01:23
Ancisace Ancisace is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

Agreed.
Ain truly is an expert in the craft of mid-length posts that inform/clarify
 #23 
Old 2001-05-22, 01:24
Redrover Redrover is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

You know what, I think were having a theological crise de conscience. We have a all powerfull being that suddenly is no longer here for us and we feel vulnerable and abandoned.

Maybe it's like a test, kind o like the book of Job. Maybe Enigma told himself that he has worked his ass off trying to make this site work for little or no satisfaction. Maybe he said to himself that it's not worth it anymore and has quit.

Ain has brought up the fact that he has been loyal and worked hard for this site. But has he really worked that hard? Is it him who has to pay for the UBBpost, that has to find advertisers to keep out of the red and has to deal with the day to day problems of running a site with 13,000 users?
 #24 
Old 2001-05-22, 01:54
Dewtard Dewtard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

I think we all agree on one think rover, you need to be kicked in the nuts.
 #25 
Old 2001-05-22, 05:20
dankgirl420 dankgirl420 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

I'm with Dewtard.
 #26 
Old 2001-05-22, 07:08
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

I don't think these people act like DOJ officials. They seem like midclass geeks with too much time on their hands. So much time that they run an IRC server.

I feel the same as Ain and Jaded. I'm sick of enigma being a dick.

Finally, Redrover, I don't know about other people, but I've offered enigma help on the site in ways I felt I could well. I guess he didn't want any help from me. *shrug*

Watch him not respond about the happenings at #totse.

I don't really much care. It'll just motivate me to work on my server plans where to operator won't be a total dick. I mean, I am a dick, let's face it. Just a minor dick.
 #27 
Old 2001-05-22, 07:46
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

so your admitting that you have a minor dick then....
 #28 
Old 2001-05-22, 09:05
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

I vil admit nosing!
 #29 
Old 2001-05-22, 12:12
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

how do you breath if you use your nose????
 #30 
Old 2001-05-22, 19:01
White Witch White Witch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

Just goes to show that the US Government is deciding it will control all the users on the Internet. As an american its not very shocking to me. But if i lived in south africa or australia or china then I feel i would be pretty violated. Even though TOTSE is ran out of northern california USA i dont think the US Government has the right to come onto an internet site since its a global community and not an American one. If i ran totse and say a boy in france blew his leg off and then the french authority decided to take over a net channel (irc.slashnet.com #totse) i would be pretty fucking pissed and feel very violated. does anyone see where im coming from>?
 #31 
Old 2001-05-22, 22:27
dankgirl420 dankgirl420 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

Fuck CrackMonkey and the monkey he rode in on! I hope he gets tired of his stupid game soon. BTW...I miss talkin wit you guyz in chat.

**tears up**
 #32 
Old 2001-05-22, 23:33
Dewtard Dewtard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

We refuse to go into the chat. If you want to talk to us we go to a different channel, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to say the name of it, I think he wants to keep it low profile.
 #33 
Old 2001-05-22, 23:46
Cokeboy Cokeboy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

Don't mean to sound, well, sarcastic or anything, but if you don't tell anyone where you is going for chat, no-one will be able to find you...
I can't see! Argh! It's gone dark!!!!!
(seems like a blinding flash of the obvious!)
 #34 
Old 2001-05-23, 00:15
dankgirl420 dankgirl420 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

Fine Dewtard, then I'm callin you.
 #35 
Old 2001-05-23, 00:20
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

i personally think that the new chat should be kept completely secret. scince it is private information, when someone posts it, it should be replaced with X's right?
 #36 
Old 2001-05-23, 00:22
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

but the dept of justice crap is complete BS.

i talked to gullie and he told me that administrators can have multiple 'masks' or something like that....

it means nothing.
 #37 
Old 2001-05-23, 00:32
and_totse and_totse is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

dewtard and bar room hero need to be killed
 #38 
Old 2001-05-23, 01:03
Diluted Diluted is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

Your in the army now.
Your in the army now.
You sunuva bitch you'll never be rich.
Your in the army now.
 #39 
Old 2001-05-23, 03:09
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

umm. why may i ask?
 #40 
Old 2001-05-23, 03:57
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

I'm leaning towards just turning it into invite only, that way only people who get in are people we want in...

I'm gonna do that right now actually, I'll hang in #Totse too so if anyone wants in they can just ask. Plus we have enough ops to maintain that list fairly well...
 #41 
Old 2001-05-23, 06:21
slpwlkr333 slpwlkr333 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

the thing about #tron users not being able to have windows- i've been in there for about 1/2 hour, by just changing my screen name. just to see what they were up to.

um, i was just wondering what J.C. Stantons relasionship was to enigma since he also is another mod in news of the temp forum but has seemed to be non-existant.

it suprises me how much enigma ran this chat and board to shit in 2 weeks, since i know at least the BLTC forum was overflowing with posts on a daily basis until last weekend when this whole shitbomb went off and then now, nothing happens at all there. It's rather boring; my outside life is starting to bore me because i have nowhere to go back to and share it with.
 #42 
Old 2001-05-23, 14:21
Kameron Kameron is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

That seems to rap it up.
Up Sticks and move out.
WHERE IS a BBS we can have.
I don't care if it unused or has got nice people on it already but a fresh start on a friendly board with a stong ant-censorship policy is what I'm looking for cause this looks like its going down the tubes.

QUESTION: In #totse can't we just slide side ways and register #totse on undernet or one of the others?

------------------
~Kameron
Carpe Aptenodytes! (Seize the Penguins!)
 #43 
Old 2001-05-23, 21:40
Diluted Diluted is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

nonsense that's logic.
 #44 
Old 2001-05-24, 00:00
slpwlkr333 slpwlkr333 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

that would work EXCEPT the java applet on this site is SLASHNET- paradise.totse.nu
 #45 
Old 2001-05-24, 00:26
Dewtard Dewtard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

I would still like to know why me and barroom should die...
 #46 
Old 2001-05-24, 00:28
Dewtard Dewtard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

Z3m, tell me when your server plans are complete and you get it running, I would like to go there. I'm just about done with this place.
 #47 
Old 2001-05-24, 08:19
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

I didn't mean an IRC server! Bleh.

I know of some web boards. One with such a strong anti-censorship policy that I got kicked off my modship for editing posts...

*shrug*

I have been working! Real sorta work too.

Er.
 #48 
Old 2001-05-25, 02:15
PcThUg2ooo PcThUg2ooo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

I occasionaly chat at totse..
I think it was a good idea retracting all the ops rom users because they were being abused. (not by all)
anyways..
Enigma can really do what he wants to you all, its sort of our own fault that are in a fucked state of affiars.

There has certainly been a decline in the quality of totse since i joined. And its sad.. really sad..

*sniff sniff*
 #49 
Old 2001-05-30, 09:13
Ain Ain is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Hostile Slashnet Takeovers and Why Some People Don't Own Guns

.

------------------

Ain
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics