About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2001-05-03, 22:39
person101 person101 is offline
Regular
 
Default Philosophy

If a tree falls in the middle of a forest, and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?
 #2 
Old 2001-05-03, 22:50
othium othium is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Philosophy

that ones old but still, how the fuck should I know?

------------------
cogito, ergo sum
 #3 
Old 2001-05-03, 23:22
Redrover Redrover is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Philosophy

Yes, because the impact of the tree with the earth will vreate shockwaves in the air know as sound. But then is sound the interception of these shockwaves by a human being or the shockwaves themselves?
 #4 
Old 2001-05-04, 02:56
nihilistic nihilistic is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Philosophy

see philos is just use'full sarcasims

--------------------
in the jungle the mighty jungle the..
 #5 
Old 2001-05-04, 05:43
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Philosophy

I always wondered what wanker had enough free time on his hand to worry about trees falling...
 #6 
Old 2001-05-04, 08:55
White Witch White Witch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Philosophy

Well. if an eardrum is an instrument just like a microphone then i would have to say no the tree itself is not producing sound but just sound waves that have to be picked up by an instrument such as an eardrum or mic to sort of translate the wave patterns into sound. but what is sound. is sound something the brain then has to translate into another language that converts over to thought or perception.

hey im sorry. I never finish college. Im just trying to sound smart.

If a deaf kid was in the fucking woods fucking his sign language teacher we know she would hear it but in a way so would he because even though he is deaf he would feel the waves and that would somehow translate into his brain a form of sound. a sound we cant understand but well. everyone is right. everyone gets an A.. we are all one.. hooray hooray!

 #7 
Old 2001-05-04, 10:18
Templeton Templeton is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Philosophy

*runs over White Witch with a herd of elephants*
 #8 
Old 2001-05-04, 18:07
othium othium is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Philosophy

"NOT MY ARMY OF ELEPHANTS!!!!!"

"templton, I needed those to attack islam tonight. now they ran of over the hills back to africa, bastard!"

------------------
cogito, ergo sum
 #9 
Old 2001-05-04, 18:34
nightwulf nightwulf is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Philosophy

Philosophy is becoming ever more interesting to me.
Nihilism, Hedonism and so on...
Where can I learn about them and any other
beliefs that exist?

Just curiousity:
What about the elitist army of destruction
and all those islam attack plans?
Mind if I join? I don't care about the islam,
I'm just a little bored...


 #10 
Old 2001-05-04, 18:36
White Witch White Witch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Philosophy

::giggles like a little japanese school girl::

 #11 
Old 2001-05-04, 22:55
Regular
 
Default Re: Philosophy

There are two definitions of "sound"

one refers to physical disturbance of molecules

the other refers to sensation


the former: Sound is defined as an organised movement of molecules caused by a vibrating body in some medium (i.e. water, rock, air).


the latter: Sound is the auditory sensation produced through the ear by the alteration in pressure, particle displacement, or particle velocity which is propagated in an elastic medium (gas has elastic collisions as defined in Kinetic Molecular Thoery [KMT])
 #12 
Old 2001-05-04, 23:03
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: Philosophy

Get in chat, Bar Room Hero
 #13 
Old 2001-05-04, 23:33
Redrover Redrover is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Philosophy

So therefore, Bar Room Hero, the statement saying that a tree falling in a forest with nobody there to hear it does produce sound is only half-true.
 #14 
Old 2001-05-05, 00:06
nightwulf nightwulf is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Philosophy

The word 'sound' has two different meanings,
yes, but either one is called sound, get it?

 #15 
Old 2001-05-05, 06:16
person101 person101 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Philosophy

There is actually meaning beyond literal translation.
 #16 
Old 2001-05-05, 07:33
White Witch White Witch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Philosophy

quote:
Originally posted by Redrover:
So therefore, Bar Room Hero, the statement saying that a tree falling in a forest with nobody there to hear it does produce sound is only half-true.


only if it falls into a stream of water. :P

 #17 
Old 2001-05-05, 08:37
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Philosophy

once again, who the hell cares?
 #18 
Old 2001-05-05, 17:01
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Philosophy

The squirrel it falls on.
 #19 
Old 2001-05-05, 20:33
Regular
 
Default Re: Philosophy

lol!
 #20 
Old 2001-05-07, 10:35
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Philosophy

If the squiril it lands on makes a sound, does that count?

------------------
I would rather be a smartass than a dumbass
 #21 
Old 2001-05-07, 18:40
winki winki is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Philosophy

Once I had a boyfriend who swore up and down that he wasn't in love with this girl he was so obviously in love with, it didn't have anything to do with me and as he'd never had the nerve to tell her how he felt, well he hadn't. So she announces that she's moving out of state, hasta lavista(spl?) and he's just so beside himself inside himself I couldn't stand it, I told him as far as I was concerned he'd been a real puss in the matter and I told him that if he didn't tell her how he felt I didn't want anything to do with him anymore. I lent him my car and made him call her and announce he was coming by cause he had something to say.
Anyhow he went and when he came back I said "So?" and he tells me that he picked her up and they drove up hgwy9 (which is a mtn. rd heavily forrested) he said we got up there and it was all quiet and we were just sitting there and all of a sudden a huge redwood tree fell!
I'm all and so "Did you guys hearit?" he's all like w wh what? what do you mean? did we hear it? Of course we heard it, we felt it! fuck! (he was still amazed, kinda spacey)
So I said and did you tell her? he goes "Tell her what?"

If a man says something aloud in a forrest and there is no woman there to hear him,
Is he still wrong?

Hey where's my squirrel?
 #22 
Old 2001-05-08, 00:01
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default Re: Philosophy

I agree with Redrover. But, I kind of figure that sound is sound whether we hear it or not because, okay, the tree hits the ground and sends energy waves through the air. The energy waves are sound waves whether any person hears them or not.

Cheers,
Lost
 #23 
Old 2001-05-08, 00:48
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Philosophy

of course the squirrel doesn't hear it, its dead...
 #24 
Old 2001-05-08, 01:14
Diluted Diluted is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Philosophy

Philosophers are people who just plan their words.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics