|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread. |
 |
|
#1
 2001-04-29, 21:41
|
The Real 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Snakes!
I don't really remember the first time I saw a snake. But I've been long respectfully fascinated with them. In my opinion they are the most evolved, efficient land predators that exist today. I however haven't always been so kind to them, but I always did respect them for what they are. Having been bitten several times by both poisonous and nonpoisonous species, I think most people would just leave them alone.
Well I did something that may have been so smart, but I am happy. Most snakes I have found in the wild I have killed and yes stretched their skins. Most of them have been Southern Copperheads and a few timber rattlers. Why I sought them out was for the fascination of just seeing them, the people I was with made some money off them, and I really didn't see anything wrong with it, so of course I helped.
I saw a show on tv not to long ago about a rattle snake round up. During this event thousands upon thousands of snakes were captured and killed. I was saddened almost why people would kill so many and some died in not so humane ways. But it brought my fascination with the creature back, like it was in the days of my childhood.
So off to pet stores I went today. Many of them had big advertisements for reptiles, yet their displays only consisted of a few sickly gecko's. No one was really helpful and I was rude with a rep at about the 5th store I went to. On the way back, disgruntled, I saw a pet store I that wasn't even in the phone book. I stopped and met a very helpful sales person, and they had snakes! So he set me up with a starter kit, a few books (free of charge), 2 mice again free, some scenery at half price, and the coolest ball python they had.
I got home with my prized pet, a snake that I could handle, one I could see behave (though not natural), one that would not bite me, and one that I would never kill for any reason at all.
I handled him for a bout 20min then placed him the cage with an awaiting meal. I knew it wouldn't eat right away, but I wanted to be sure that it had something. It's been 2hrs now, and it's just laying there, like a snake does, and I'm happy to watch it.
I know this hasn't gotten anywhere and there really is not major point. But it's been a neat day. I have always been fascinated with them and now there is one living with me, so I'm pretty excited about it. It also cost me damn near $200 so it better freakin kill something ;^)
|
|
#2
 2001-04-29, 23:40
|
|
Regular
|
|
Behind the boat house
|
|
Re: Snakes!
That's really cool. I've always been facinated with snakes. My father is a snake handler. I mean, he used to be back in the 60's and I love to watch them dance.
They really are the most efficient land preditors and they don't only live on land. There are snakes that live in water and in tree and everything.
I'd like to have one of my own. I would really like a Constrictor of some sort, but I don't have nearly enough room for one. Just a dream.
Cheers, Lost
|
|
#3
 2001-04-30, 00:29
|
The Real 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Snakes!
This is really neat, the day I bring it home it's starts to shed. So I went out and got some rocks rougher than the heat rock I got with the tank. They are washed and in place, maybe by morning I'll have a snake skin rubber.
I figure with the stress of moving and being ready to shed it won't eat for a day or too. But I've heard that the first thing a snake does after shedding, is to hunt.
It's only about a foot long right now anyone know how fast these grow and the frequency in which they shed?
|
|
#4
 2001-04-30, 02:56
|
|
Regular
|
|
Behind the boat house
|
|
Re: Snakes!
I'm not sure, but a lot of snakes only shed once a year. That's really neat. It'll give you, sort of a keepsake of the first day you brought it home. Hehehe.
I'm jealous.
Cheers, Lost
|
|
#5
 2001-04-30, 09:30
|
White Witch 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Snakes!
I've come across rattle snakes in the bay area a few times. they really are timid creatures. except when you try and pull a mouse out of their mouths. they dont like that.
|
|
#6
 2001-04-30, 11:57
|
Diluted 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Snakes!
The real's snake is 18" long.
|
|
#7
 2001-04-30, 15:11
|
The Real 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Snakes!
this book I have says pythons shed regurlarly, and often when still young. They also shed 3x during breeding season. Not all of it's skin is loosened yet.
|
|
#8
 2001-04-30, 20:58
|
Kameron 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Snakes!
quote: Originally posted by The Real: In my opinion they are the most evolved,
[snip all the good points and only leave the bits thats wrong - sorry for that]
This is incorrect, they are highly underevolved. They have not changed their genetic make up for millions of years. They come just after the crocodiles. UP the legless lizards ------------------ ~Kameron Carpe Aptenodytes! (Seize the Penguins!)
|
|
#9
 2001-04-30, 21:42
|
lostmind 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Snakes!
i won't get started on evolution again.
but how come evolution never progressed in snakes,
how come the more advanced a species the younger it is,
the more primitive the older it is,
why did some evolve others didn't.
anyways, i am terrified of snakes.
my only true fear,
deathly terrified.
anything that can jump and not have legs is not normal.
ever see a worm jump?
didn't think so.
|
|
#10
 2001-04-30, 23:50
|
Redrover 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Snakes!
But then Kameron, put an alligator in a box with a so called "less underdevelloped" speicies like, say, a yorkshire terrier, and then see who wins the evolution race.
|
|
#11
 2001-05-01, 00:57
|
Kameron 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Snakes!
Good point the snake is good at what it does but that doesn't make it highly evolved just well adapted to what it does. Which is what I think the Real meant all along.
I was just saying the snake it an old species. OK?
~Kameron yip yip yap yip yap yap, BANG - No Terrier
|
|
#12
 2001-05-01, 02:00
|
BiggCatt 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Snakes!
My brother also has a python...He likes to let it sleep next to him at night, it just lays there and absorbs his body heat...and by the way, his doesn`t eat for two or three weeks after it sheds..the vet told him the loss of appetite is not a common occurence after shedding, but it does happen...so don`t freak if he don`t chow down right away....Happy Hunting......
|
|
#13
 2001-05-01, 05:13
|
The Real 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Snakes!
Being more or less evolved is relative. They are very evolved, being reptiles they are come from one of the oldest forms of life.
Furthermore when evolution slows nearly to a halt, that means for what that species does, it's nearly perfected. Therefore advanced. Until again it's environment changes.
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|