About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2001-04-04, 21:48
White Witch White Witch is offline
Regular
 
Default win 9x vs 2k NT

God, I spent 3 hours reformatting 2 computers into win2k and found it didnt want to work with my Linksys router. I fucking hate this shit. I want 2k because i know its much more stable. I called Linksys and @home tech and both of them tried to pass the Buck on the other. @home suck. If you dont purchase an extra IP from them they basically tell you to fuck off for any third party products. I can respect that because im sure they dont want to be sued if they give out wrong advice. But all i asked them was how to set up the standard shit like what is my DNS numbers and Whats my gateway number and they wouldnt help me. I purchased a router so i wouldnt have to pay for a 2nd IP. it would be pointless for me to get one now. I just spent over 200 bucks for a 4 port hub/router package and all the cat5 cable. I had to call them back and tell them i unplugged my router just so they would help but they still couldnt. The fucking "Tech Support" guy also told me he didnt know anything about Win2k and told me in his opinion that Win ME is much better. What a fucking moron. I agree Windows ME 9x platform makes it really easy to network for the average person like myself. But the fucking thing crashes every fucking day. I ran 2K on one computer and noticed my download speed on my cable modem speeded up at least 50%. Anyways im embarrassed to say i spent another 3 hours setting WIN ME back up.
 #2 
Old 2001-04-05, 06:02
White Witch White Witch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: win 9x vs 2k NT

I heard Bill Gate$ (Of hell) claims he is going to copyright Binary codes (1's and 0's) and collect royalties or some gay shit like that. can i copyright air?
 #3 
Old 2001-04-05, 07:31
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: win 9x vs 2k NT

Get something like BSD, cheif.

FreeBSD comes with BO2K in the ports. I like that.
 #4 
Old 2001-04-05, 09:09
Templeton Templeton is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: win 9x vs 2k NT

You can find your DNS and gateway info from a program called Winipcfg. I'm not sure where it is exactly in 2000 so do a file search. As for Microsoft copyrighting 1s and 0s, that was a made up article by http://www.theonion.com/onion3311/microsoftpatents.html

[This message has been edited by Templeton (edited 04-05-2001).]
 #5 
Old 2001-04-05, 18:29
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: win 9x vs 2k NT

If you have the 4-port router, then I've got the same one you do. If you need to find out any information about your gateway, DNS settings on the router, etc., open your browser and go to 192.168.1.1. The default pw is admin.

If you RTFM, then you probably know that.. I have mine set up on two Win98 computers, so I can't be very specific as far as 2k help. But, you shouldn't require any gateway or DNS settings. Make sure you're set to get an IP address automatically. Other than that, you should be cool. If not, try Linksys tech support again. I've only had to call them twice, but both people were really good.. maybe you just got unlucky.
 #6 
Old 2001-04-06, 03:29
White Witch White Witch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: win 9x vs 2k NT

ijust saw the info on the admin page 192.168.1.1 its in the status LOL i never bothered looking in there. but since i posted this it turned out it was my fault after all. I forgot to install the netcard driver for the slave computer. (Doh!) thats why it wouldn't work. i had the default dialup adapter instead of the netcard adapter.

But im to lazy now to spend 4 more hours setting up 2k again.. I think i will partitian both computer hard drives and run multiple OS on them. that way if it fails i wont have to reinstall win ME again.



[This message has been edited by White Witch (edited 04-06-2001).]
 #7 
Old 2001-04-06, 08:51
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: win 9x vs 2k NT

I hear FreeBSD is pretty good.
 #8 
Old 2001-04-06, 10:25
White Witch White Witch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: win 9x vs 2k NT

What is freeBSD?

I may partition for linux as well since its free.
 #9 
Old 2001-04-07, 07:31
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: win 9x vs 2k NT

It's a form of BSD that is free.
http://www.freebsd.org/
 #10 
Old 2001-04-07, 20:13
j0662 j0662 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: win 9x vs 2k NT

c:\windows\winipcfg.exe
 #11 
Old 2001-04-07, 22:54
White Witch White Witch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: win 9x vs 2k NT

OK i now know BSD is free but what is it
is it an Operational System?
 #12 
Old 2001-04-08, 08:06
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: win 9x vs 2k NT

Oh, it's much more than operational...
 #13 
Old 2001-04-08, 20:30
White Witch White Witch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: win 9x vs 2k NT

yah, i just read up on it. It looks like it has a built in server as well. looks complicated though. I dont know how to program. I always wanted to learn basics then c++ and VB. maybe this is a good reason for me to do so now.
 #14 
Old 2001-04-09, 01:50
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: win 9x vs 2k NT

Solaris is such a bitch to install...
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics