|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread. |
 |
|
#1
 2001-03-28, 10:38
|
chevy502 
Regular
|
|
|
|
DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
I am Replying to the previous article sent in on this subject and I think I have a more realistic view on the subject as I am an American that has lived in England for the past 25 years! well my angle on the above is somewhat different I do agree with the comment made about the 'Over Paid, Over Sexed and OVER HERE'!
and also that the english are a funny lot!! (You can say that again!) well when I came over here all their favorite TV Programs were from the USA and a lot of it still is "so much for 4 channels is better than 24" they just have less channels to choose from.
anyway I came over here in 1976 and Saturday "night fever" was the biggest thing to hit the movies ever! loads of english trying to act and look American I thought they liked Americans and when I started school 90% of the girls at the school made passes at me and asked me to speak in American! (whatever that is) (in other words they loved the accent) to start with I loved this but soon came to realize that they were more interested in my "image" than me (being a teenager I still took advantage of this though!) but all the guys at the school would find any reason to fight with me here are some of their favorite ways to start a fight they would say things like 1)you were 2 years to late for the second world war 2 (I was born in 1964!) 2)think your big you yanks 3)big mouth yanky 4)yanky wanky (wanky meaning jerk-off) but after years of wondering why the hell all the girls loved me all the guys wanted to fight me I came to the conclusion that jealousy was the reason not just jealousy of the girls liking me but a jealousy of Americans in general because a lot of them perceived us as loud-mouth rich-kids,and that we all have exiting life's just like on the TV programs they were watching starsky & hutch kojak and so on also a lot of them had been told by their parents that us "the cowardly yanks dint turn up until 2 years to late in the second world war.
by the way I would like to reply to the part mentioned about
RACISM here, it has never got to the stage where grown men dress up in pointy hats and bed linen, and then proceed to burn wooden crosses.
while this is true they do however dress up in "harrington jackets & doc martin boots" see the British equivalent of the kkk is "skinhead football hooligans that are usually members of "the British movement or the national front"
you see the school I went to was full of them and I had fights from the first to the last day I went to that school, and yes nigel I was a bit louder or less reserved than the average english man who often seem to confuse kindness with being big mouthed
England from my experience is more racist than most of the USA with the exception of the deep south it is even more racist towards Americans than anybody else maybe it does not help that the majority of Americans that they see are old people from Florida in checkered pants(trousers)or (Sad Sack)G.I.'s from the local bases
don't worry Nigel there will be no death threats or abuse from me I'm to tired from all the fighting anyway
you seem like a nice enough guy
BYE 4 Now
Rob
|
|
#2
 2001-03-28, 13:49
|
Rob 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
Of course the English are racist. We hate the world, because we know we are right, so the rest of you MUST be wrong. Personally, I'm all for tolerance, peace and love, but wtf!
------------------ The Rev Spooner says I am a Shining Wit
|
|
#3
 2001-03-28, 17:11
|
j0662 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
Do the English (and by that i hope u mean british) like americans....
well, apart from the fact that they were stupid enough to vote in bush, and are generaly crap at all worldwide sports and generaly bug me,
wait most of you lot are American arn't you...
oops
Anyway at least call the British British and not English.
|
|
#4
 2001-03-28, 17:19
|
Ancisace 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
Why? who cares what those scottish and welsh people think 
|
|
#5
 2001-03-28, 17:39
|
Suziegirl 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
What a totally stupid conversation..
What americans hate about the british, and what the british hate about the americans are just the images each have of the other. Neither of which are true. As a brit who's been living in america for 2 years now, I think I'm amply qualified to say, yet again, that sweeping generalisations are stupid, retarded, and the sign of a small intellect. I don't hate all americans or love all brits, or vice versa. Depends on the person.
|
|
#6
 2001-03-28, 18:07
|
raverz_choice 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
I know suzy totally understood and finished the topic but I just felt like adding my piece.
I have a few american friends. And I have cousins in britain.
my second cousin just married a man in the britain army.
I have family in germany, russia, poland, austria, the chec rebublic and can't forget britain and america.
So i couldn't possibly hate a whole nation, empire, or civilization.
and like suzie said It depends on the people.
------------------ Cogito, ergo sum
|
|
#7
 2001-03-29, 00:29
|
BiggCatt 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
Did you see, "The Patriot"? How could we not hate the "British"????  ------------------ All rights reserved, all wrongs revenged...
|
|
#8
 2001-03-29, 04:12
|
Z3m 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
Not true Suzie! I personally made a British woman hate me when I exclaimed "WHAT?" when I didn't hear what she said on a loud aerospace plane.
I think these newfangled "jet" engines might stick around for a while.
|
|
#9
 2001-03-29, 05:26
|
Jadedfool 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
nah, its a fad.
|
|
#10
 2001-03-29, 07:15
|
White Witch 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
Umm.. jo662. Americans took the most Gold Medals at the last Olypics. And what do you mean we suck at world sports? like what. Hockey? I recall us beating the russians some 20 years ago. I laugh at the brits when they say Americans play a pussy form of football with helmets and pads. But then again i have seen british rugby players. Most of them arnt 6'8 350 pounds.
I'm not brit bashing. But i sometimes go on Yahoo.com chat. The brits and Americans always argue. I think its all funny myself. since we are the closest allies (Next to Canada). But as an american im not responsible for what other Americans do. And its not like England is such a great place to live. The food is terrible (Blan Blan Blan), The weather is mostly dank and there is a much higher drug use per capita.
The Average American lives a much higher standard of living. Gas is much cheaper, Utilities are much cheaper (Even though its all going up) and we dont just eat Cheese Burgers, pizza and hotdogs here. This is the melting pot. You can find any style of food you want. you name it and America has it.
|
|
#11
 2001-03-29, 08:52
|
|
Moderator
|
|
The fine line between genius and madness
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
Hell yeah. That applies to the good and the bad though.
By world sports I think he ment the ever popular soccer aka football in Europe. Actualy I think that that is the only European sport. And we do suck at it. Because we don't care much for soccer. But we don't have soccer riots do we? Our only sport related riots involve football, basketball, hockey, and sometimes baseball.
------------------ Remember the golden rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
|
|
#12
 2001-03-29, 11:53
|
Plato 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
Of course the English hate Americans! But we're the most arrogant nation on the planet who still see ourselves as one of the worlds super-powers, so as a result we hate everyone-its nought personal.
|
|
#13
 2001-03-29, 12:09
|
lostmind 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
british aren't racist.
they're honest.
they just don't cover it up behind a word that puts a label on you and a preconcieved personality;
like we politically correct americans
they don't have hate crimes;
they just didn't like you; nothing racist towards the species just the individual.
wasn't politically correctness supposed to eliminat the labeling of individuals; when in reality we now have more labels than ever.
but i would love to get together with a british chick; love those accents sound so sexy.
no web replies please by any lonely skags who can't hook up in their home country that they have to prey on the anticipated loneliness who's only knowledge of them is through a personality portrayed on the web.
i'll meet you the old fashioned way;
we'll bump into each other; and i'll convince you that fate must have been involved to bring your two worlds together from across vast distances;
then when she falls for the oprah bit; i'll fuck her kick her out and yell;
"yeah i'll call you 10-10-220 right?"
i'm not a pig i just play one on the web;
and i stayed at a holiday inn express last night;
with a british chick!
|
|
#14
 2001-03-29, 12:51
|
Plato 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
Youve obviously never met a scouse burd!
|
|
#15
 2001-03-29, 23:42
|
slpwlkr333 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
the majority of english hate americans
the english are raised to specifically express their emotions but americans smile way too much. the english commonly refer to americans as smiling idiots, or something of that sort, because they smile if they are nervous, happy, sad and trying not to show it, scared, etc....
this is all hear-say i picked up in lectures in the US and im american so maybe im wrong but i believe it
|
|
#16
 2001-03-31, 06:53
|
White Witch 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
we have a right to be scared. the rest of the world is out to get us. 
|
|
#17
 2001-03-31, 10:43
|
Z3m 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
I scour all the time. People don't like me.
That's why I'm posting on a Friday night.
|
|
#18
 2001-03-31, 10:45
|
Z3m 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
Lour that is. I scour only so often.
|
|
#19
 2001-03-31, 13:37
|
auralvisage 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
It almost always seems to boil down to , every group has some degree of intolerance for difference . Our similarities in the usa are all washed together by those that are removed , but we are as diverse as it gets . Every western country has generational gaps and the young Brits are a diffeent lot than the WWII Brits ...as the generation (whatever) is different from the pre world war II group , Vietnam group , 60's etc. I for one apppreciate the differnces, slow turns in our evolution, It doesn't take a moraly superior being to be put off by certain generational attributes. Whats up with this generation that has kids shooting each other in schools? Look at the differnces of what the generations had for entertainment....I had Superman and Leave it to Beaver , they have these ghastly graphic shooting bloody video games ..Duh.Toothpaste is very difficult to get back into the tube....
|
|
#20
 2001-03-31, 16:22
|
Suziegirl 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
GODDAMMIT this conversation makes me angry.
White witch, have you ever EVER actually been to england? Contrary to popular opinion, it doesn't rain all the time there, and the weather is a damn sight nicer and milder than it is here in michigan.
The food is bad? Umm, yeah.. right.. Of course brits eat only hotdogs and cheeseburgers... ????? British cooking is great, and moreso, Britain has a far more melded culture than America.. People there are less racist, this is without a doubt, I've seen far more racism here in america than I ever did my entire life in England. I've been here two years and I've yet to find a decent fucking curry. England also has large numbers of various European cuisines, actual, real cuisines, instead of fake americanised crap. You've obviously NEVER been to england. Who here HAS?. Any of you?. Until you have, SHUT THE FUCK UP.
The majority of English don't hate americans. The majority of the English actually just couldn't give a fuck about the egocentric americans. This country isn't so great, it's hampered by ridiculous laws, and large numbers of violent, angry, ignorant people, who spout off stupid generalisations like this topic, and really, if you were a brit, and you just read this thread, you'd have every right to hate americans.
|
|
#21
 2001-04-01, 09:37
|
Z3m 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
You'd don't hate me though... Right, Suzie?
|
|
#22
 2001-04-01, 11:46
|
PcThUg2ooo 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
Die America DIE!
The Entertainment- good The People- not too bad The Government- FUCKED
I hate the american government with all my heart. Thanx to your stupid wars on drugs and prohabition youve stuffed up the rest of the world for thinking for themselves. "america is doing it so it must be right" just take a look at the government and youll see there is ALOT wrong with their system. A fight on drugs that doesnt work, subliminal messages on TV to the public, and the president being publicly humiliated and thrown out of office.
ill just say this one last time.
I hate you america..
PcThUg..
|
|
#23
 2001-04-01, 22:16
|
White Witch 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
Yes Suzie you are right. I have never been to england. Its always word of mouth. And yes I Know there is far more recism in this country then anywhere else on the planet (Except maybe Russia).
I live in California. I never been to Mich. I have an aunt that lives there and she is a religious fanatic and never wants to come to California. she thinks everyone out here is crazy or Gay. but thats her lost. We happen to have a lot of Authentic Indian, Mexican, Italian and other ethnic resteraunts in this area that are not Americanized. But i just get sick and tired of brits talking shit about americans. they always find the most negative stereotype things to say to us. Like we all eat Hamburgers and Hotdogs all day long. Maybe in Michigan they do. but out in california i think people are a little more health conscience. But then again the younger generation is a bit fatter today. For every stereotype there is an element of truth. And i was comparing California weather to england not Michigans. I never been to Michigan so i wouldnt know. Im guessing your winters suck and so comparing it to england you must think england is a much more tempered climate then that of michigan. and i have family in england. I am always welcome to visit there. But when my family members come from the UK to visit us they say the weather here in california is much nicer. but they have also commented on all of the fast food joints that stay open 24/7.
|
|
#24
 2001-04-02, 00:33
|
Suziegirl 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
Oh shut the fuck up White Witch.. I mean seriously, you're like freaking out about the weather.. California has nicer weather than probably 90% of the planet. And that shows your superiority how?? "Hey dude, my latitude is like, SOOOO superior to yours"..
Get real..
And all I said was I haven't found a decent curry here yet. I didn't say all americans eat were just hamburgers and hotdogs, and frankly, any person that can make that kind of SWEEPING FUCKING GENERALISATION is an idiot.
Z, I only hate you because you never EMAIL ME BITCH..
|
|
#25
 2001-04-02, 16:33
|
sckbch 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
Ha!! You've never been to Russia, so I don't see where your credibility on the subject of racism in Russia stems from.
|
|
#26
 2001-04-02, 22:09
|
Suziegirl 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
You're assuming he has credibility on any subject?....
|
|
#27
 2001-04-03, 06:57
|
person101 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: DO THE ENGLISH LIKE THE AMERICANS?
Um Suziegirl, I am sorry to say that you are a prejudiced hypocrite, and you can't argue worth crap. Well, onwards to using your own words against you....
"I think I'm amply qualified to say, yet again, that sweeping generalisations are stupid, retarded, and the sign of a small intellect."
Little do you know, with this statement you condemn yourself to be stupid, retarded, and to have small intellect.
"People there are less racist, this is without a doubt, I've seen far more racism here in america than I ever did my entire life in England"
So you are *generalizing* that more people in America are racist just because you have seen more racism in America? I thought you judged by the individual...? If you really did judge by the individual then you wouldn't ever be able to say anything w/ regard to the entire population of either country.
"The majority of English don't hate americans. The majority of the English actually just couldn't give a fuck about the egocentric americans. This country isn't so great, it's hampered by ridiculous laws, and large numbers of violent, angry, ignorant people, who spout off stupid generalisations like this topic, and really, if you were a brit, and you just read this thread, you'd have every right to hate americans."
Okay so now you are talking about the *majority* of the English population? I'm then going to have to assume that either, 1) You individually knew each person who is a part of that majority, or 2) you just called yourself stupid and retarded and said that you have small intellect. Not only that, but you also *generalize* that Americans are egocentric and that there are large numbers of ignorant and angry Americans. You have lived in America for two years, so I'm glad to know that you have met large numbers of individual Americans (of course, percentage-wise, the number of people that you have met is probably very very slim)--yes a *large number* of them who are angry and/or ignorant. What exactly is your definition of a "large number?"
"I didn't say all americans eat were just hamburgers and hotdogs, and frankly, any person that can make that kind of SWEEPING FUCKING GENERALISATION is an idiot."
Get ready.... Yes, that's right, you just called yourself and IDIOT!!!
"England also has large numbers of various European cuisines, actual, real cuisines, instead of fake americanised crap."
That statement is obviously implying that the cuisine in America is "fake" and "americanised." I want to see how you try and prove that this is *not* a generalization.
And thus, concludes my post of why Suziegirl is a stupid, retarded idiot with small intellect. Just please, don't listen to her; at least all Americans aren't HYPOCRITES like all the British are. ;^)
PS: I am not calling you an idiot Suziegirl; you called yourself that. I am merely agreeing with you.
[This message has been edited by person101 (edited 04-03-2001).]
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|