About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2001-02-11, 22:44
greenspam greenspam is offline
Regular
 
Default NAPSTER DIES FEB 12

Starting ripping from Napster now. Because tomorrow Feb 12th Napster will either be shut down for good or it will start charging for access. Get your free music NOW!!!

greenspam starts singing (To the tune of the Buggles "Video Killed the radio star) Mettalica killed the Napster site.. The Metalica killed the Napster Site.. Fuck their drummer and their band.. they suck and sold out. They even cut their dirty long hair.
 #2 
Old 2001-02-12, 00:29
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: NAPSTER DIES FEB 12

I heard it was early June?

------------------
You're in a laundry room, You're in a laundry room, the clue just came to you?, oh.
 #3 
Old 2001-02-12, 05:24
greenspam greenspam is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: NAPSTER DIES FEB 12

the 9th circuit court here in rainy San Francisco shall make a dicision on Feb 12th. so maybe tomorrow wont be the final day since most courts usually give some time. but within a week or so Im sure it will be. Unless the Court sides with them but then napster already has said it would start charging.. so Napster becomes another mp3.com Fuck that. I heard one of the other large MP3 server programs already stopped serving. cant remember the name of it. Its the 2nd largest server though. I hated that program anyways, Even though they allowed you to share movies it only allowed 2 files maximum at a time. im not being greedy.. but time is money.
 #4 
Old 2001-02-12, 21:59
greenspam greenspam is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: NAPSTER DIES FEB 12

The 9th circuit court rulled against Napster.. but its still up for the time being. I understand napster wants to take it to the Federal Supremem Court now.
 #5 
Old 2001-02-15, 13:49
Nicky_Little Nicky_Little is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: NAPSTER DIES FEB 12

It's not as good (yet?) but you can always use Napigator http://www.napigator.com/ to make Napster sign onto a server other than an offical Napster server. As long as what you want is somewhat populaur you should still be able to find it.


[This message has been edited by Nicky_Little (edited 02-15-2001).]
 #6 
Old 2001-02-15, 22:15
PureEvil PureEvil is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: NAPSTER DIES FEB 12

First off watch your fuckin mouth. Don't be dissing metallica. I know they've sold out but they are still one of the best bands ever. Your just pissed off because you can't get free music. You'd want the money too if you wrote it. And metallica isn't the only band who was pissed off at napster. Napster was a good thing. But the problem was that people took advantage of it. These cheap, dickless waste of sperm people with Cable, DSL, Etc. Modems were downloading entire albums in minutes. If everyone could do that the economy would be killed. They aren't shutting napster down yet. I know alot of you just used napster to get a few songs that you liked. And the artists didn't mind that. You just have to look at the big picture of things. And just one last thing. I still listen to my old metallica albums all the time. And what they've done now can't make that music suck. Peace out
 #7 
Old 2001-02-15, 22:37
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: NAPSTER DIES FEB 12

Here's how I see it. The media companies are cutting their own throughts. Within weeks of when Napster is shut down there will be literaly dozens of similar programs out. And they won't just be for music. They will be for images, software, and video for those with enough bandwidth. Right now Napster is the only thing keeping this at bay, because it is what the people want right now. At least I have the satisfaction of knowing that when Napster is shut down the guys doing it are going to suffer for it.
 #8 
Old 2001-03-25, 15:27
Dark_Destiny Dark_Destiny is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: NAPSTER DIES FEB 12

Oh proud Napster, you will live in the halls of the internet forever. Your generous deeds shall never be forgotten by all of us who refuse to pay for things we can get for free made possible by you and many others like you. God bless Napster!
 #9 
Old 2001-03-25, 19:25
VREK VREK is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: NAPSTER DIES FEB 12

Napster isnt dead yet but it will soon be. After that i reccomend: I-mesh or Audiogalexy. Audiogalexy for music I-Mesh for everything else. As for open source go for BearShare!
 #10 
Old 2001-03-27, 10:36
auralvisage auralvisage is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: NAPSTER DIES FEB 12

....oh short sighted ones......the logical extension of continued free intellectual effort is ..millions of front porch bands ...none of which are any good...the system is a behemoth ..but ..it is the way and incentive for the best ...what fuck head musician is going to be produced and paid for free? surely I thought the noble intellects of the totse alumni would recognize the loss of incentive ..would you also want medical treatment free? Free ....the only thing that should be free is thought and opinions... alas they are ...and see the result ..the overall masses of poor quality? Grow up !!!

------------------
...great minds think alot...not always alike..
 #11 
Old 2001-03-28, 16:15
cntrdcton0fate cntrdcton0fate is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: NAPSTER DIES FEB 12

auralvisage...
It just so happens that health care is free where I come from and it works out really good for everyone.
By the sound of it if anyone needs to grow up here it's you.......
....
 #12 
Old 2001-03-28, 17:51
auralvisage auralvisage is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: NAPSTER DIES FEB 12

Medical treatment is free...outstanding!! I suppose someone pays for it though or do the physicians and health care professionals go to school free? That is outstanding too . where you come from does anybody have to pay for anything ? or is this some hidden "utopia"
I hardly consider taxation "free" and thank god we are not being taxed to pay for state sponsored music ...with the personal preferences of everyone being so different...Perhaps I need to grow up especially if I have missed out on a world where anything is free? As hard as I have tried , I can't find anything "free" except opinons (like yours) and thought ..and that does not include the right to express it.I like the fact that your thinking though, If you don;t mind me asking Contradiction, where do you come from? I am personally sick of working and would like to explore other alternatives such as wonderous things being "free"....and this is all the effort your pedantic rationale will get from me... this is such an old saw....
 #13 
Old 2001-03-28, 18:01
cntrdcton0fate cntrdcton0fate is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: NAPSTER DIES FEB 12

... smart. Everything does have trade-offs. In a sense health care is free here, along with a lot of things... I come from a small country with a strong social system, are taxes are higher than most other countries (the source of funding for our social system). We get a lot of help from the government, and it's basically impossible to be homeless. Some people abuse the system, most are good natured about it, so it all works out. Basically it's the closest a country can get to real communism,... and still call themselves a democracy. Not so bad. I just have a hard time justifying things I do against the country.... oh, and can you guess where I'm from. .....
 #14 
Old 2001-03-28, 21:10
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: NAPSTER DIES FEB 12

Canada? But you said a small country so I'm confused.

------------------
Remember the golden rule:
Those with the gold make the rules.
 #15 
Old 2001-03-28, 21:17
lostmind lostmind is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: NAPSTER DIES FEB 12

if you're a band like metallica; the backstreet boys; britney spears; and such i can see where napster would hurt.

because these people write singles instead of good overall albums(metallica used to).

bands that support napster like u2; radiohead; and the offspring to name a few rely on napster to get their music out to people who might not normally hear it;

and these bands write well written albums from start to finish.

if you rely on singles napster will kill you;

if you develop albums napster will propel you.

the greatful dead used to encourage people to record their shows and video tape them; to get their music out to more people.

who hasn't heard of the greatful dead?

if these record companies would employ artists with talent instead of people that appeal to the 14-18 age group;

napster wouldn't be a problem.
 #16 
Old 2001-03-29, 04:09
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: NAPSTER DIES FEB 12

Piracy belongs underground.

"Artists" *cough,cough,splurt* are free to put mp3s up for free if they wish.
 #17 
Old 2001-03-29, 08:40
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: NAPSTER DIES FEB 12

And we are free to put them up if they don't wish.

------------------
Remember the golden rule:
Those with the gold make the rules.
 #18 
Old 2001-03-30, 00:15
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: NAPSTER DIES FEB 12

And they're free to sue you if you don't wish.
 #19 
Old 2001-03-30, 01:04
Redrover Redrover is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: NAPSTER DIES FEB 12

I've tried different services as replacements for napster and these are the ones I tried in order of preference.

1) Napster
2) Audiogalaxy
3) Audiognome
4) Gnutella with Bearshare
5) Aimster
 #20 
Old 2001-03-30, 01:05
Redrover Redrover is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: NAPSTER DIES FEB 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover
I've tried different services as replacements for napster and these are the ones I tried in order of preference.

1) Napster
2) Audiogalaxy
3) Audiognome
4) Gnutella with Bearshare
5) Aimster
 #21 
Old 2001-03-30, 19:42
auralvisage auralvisage is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: NAPSTER DIES FEB 12

Since the album "Frampton comes alive" The music industry has been seriously marginalizing the recording biz.
It is all about sales for even the most talented "artist" Projections based on your core following or selling potential is the advance that labels front the artist for albums or singles.There is no doubt that napster is a form of advertising, but it also is a mighty powerful force that will herald a significant change in the distribution of music on a mass level whether it's Napster or not.Entire album content is available on any of the Napster clones and it will also effect the sales of albums ...unless of course one is so personality driven they just have to have the photos and liner notes....My only concern is the natural progression of this dynamic as it relates to the free market attributes of intellectual property......truly a unique issue only possible in this era of enabling technological advances. I suppose over the years it's easy to be a little cynical as you realize that nothing is really free and someone somewhere is paying ..somehow...
 #22 
Old 2001-03-30, 21:41
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: NAPSTER DIES FEB 12

It would appear that the populus has found a way around the napster filters. Every file I have downloaded in the last several days has had misspeling errors. Well, I doubt that they are errors. It seems that the filters only recognize the proper spelling of both the song title and the artist, so if either one has one small error...

------------------
Remember the golden rule:
Those with the gold make the rules.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics