About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2000-01-10, 14:23
Hells_wrath Hells_wrath is offline
Regular
 
Default I've always wanted to know.....

Question....

As you drive your car the engine heats up, but it can't get too hot. So what cools the engine? The radiator. But the radiator gets hot as well, so there is a radiator fan to keep that cool. There is a motor inside the radiator fan. What keeps that motor cool? Is there an even smaller radiator and radiator fan for the motor inside the radiator fan?
And if not, then that means the motor in the radiator fan is efficient at keeping cool - if this is the case then why not just make a larger version of that motor to use in cars, leaving no need for a radiator and fan in the first place?

I've always wanted to know the answer to that....
 #2 
Old 2000-01-10, 14:27
Evil_Mastermind Evil_Mastermind is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've always wanted to know.....

engine coolant
 #3 
Old 2000-01-10, 14:31
Hells_wrath Hells_wrath is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've always wanted to know.....

The motor in the radiator fan...what keeps it cool...that's what I need to figure out..
 #4 
Old 2000-01-10, 19:42
Trippy_McGee Trippy_McGee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've always wanted to know.....

engine coolant
 #5 
Old 2000-01-10, 23:05
enigma enigma is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've always wanted to know.....

Air cools the electric fan.

Your car engine works by burning gasoline, which produces a lot of heat, which is why it needs the extra cooling system. The heat couldn't radiate fast enough without the extra cooling system and parts of your engine would melt.

The fan runs on an electric motor, and electric motors don't generate as much heat as gasoline ones. Air running across the surface of the motor transfers enough heat from the motor to the surrounding environment to keep the motor at a stable operating temperature.

Also, the fan doesn't cool the radiator by itself, as you drive air flows in through the grill over the radiator. The fan is there to push extra air through the radiator when you're idling or if you're in stop-and-go traffic. If your car is moving, there's enough airflow to cool the radiator.
 #6 
Old 2000-01-10, 23:34
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've always wanted to know.....

quote:
why not just make a larger version of that motor


Electric cars.
 #7 
Old 2000-02-10, 01:52
enigma enigma is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've always wanted to know.....

I forgot to ask, why do you assume that a motor that is "efficient at keeping cool" has the capability to "efficiently turn energy into movement"?

Spinning a fan requires one set of characteristics, moving a car requires another.

Anyhow, the biggest problem facing electric cars isn't their motors, it's their batteries.
 #8 
Old 2000-02-10, 06:48
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I've always wanted to know.....

Hydrogen fuel cells are the most promising solution to that problem.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics