|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Green Planet Environmental issues. The ozone hole. Tree hugging for fun and profit. Toxins in the air, water, and soil. Biotechnological foodstuffs. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2002-12-11, 18:45
|
Agent Boris_KGB 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Ozone Thing.
I know there is a thread a couple down from this that involves a synthetic ozone...Well That has been proven to be a very costly thing....Near impossible because of the expenses....What I was thinking something that stops that Cl(Chlorine) in the the CFCs.I thought about this....and I mean ozone produces itself naturally from photons from the UV radiation....
But it cant beat how fast the CFCs are destroying it. Now yes just about everyone has agreed to stop producing CFCs and start producing the more safer HFCs.But the thing is that CFCs are still up there when that CFC gets up to the stratoshpere it then gets hit with that UV radiation and starts to break down. And eventually the Cl atom breaks away from the compound and then goes on to attach itself to a O3(ozone) atom and then after a short time it destroys that O3 making it O2.But then that same Cl atom goes on to do this to another O3 atom and it keeps doing this on and on...
So what I am saying is that even though we have stoped producing CFCs it is still getting worse.Thats why we need to get that chlorine shit out or bonded to something to stop its effects on O3.I was trying to think of something that could bond with cl and not break free.And then it hit me....Na(Sodium)...The bond between Cl and Na is a very strong one....Thus the salt we have today...But my problem is that I know sodium can be changed into a gas...But everyone knows that pure sodium is explosive when mixed with water...Thus it would explode in the atmos[here when droped from a plane(in powder form) or just released into the air from the ground.So what is something that will bond with sodium but when the sodium gets to the Cl it goes to the Cl and bonds? Thats all that I need to really know...Like its like that little 5th grade experiment where you pour baking soda in the water and you can clean metals with it because the oxides bond with the sodium bicarbonate....
|
|
#2
 2002-12-11, 22:47
|
Agent Boris_KGB 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Ozone Thing.
And still no one cares enough to post...
|
|
#3
 2002-12-11, 22:58
|
stormybaka 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Ozone Thing.
Well it's a good post and I am not that cluey on a few things you just posted. But an interesting read though.
|
|
#4
 2002-12-12, 21:09
|
bribble13 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Ozone Thing.
it's just that no one wants to argue with you, because you're on to something. but no one seems to know the answer :S.
|
|
#5
 2002-12-12, 23:01
|
Agent Boris_KGB 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Ozone Thing.
I would like to hear templation's opinion on the subject....
|
|
#6
 2002-12-15, 00:45
|
Templeton 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Ozone Thing.
The best and easiest way to repair the ozone layer is by letting it repair itself. The less Chlorofluorocarbons released into the the atmosphere, the quicker the results. As far as artificially producing ozone, you would need to release it above the Troposhere and into the Stratosphere. Ozone that is released into the Troposhere is essentially smog.
|
|
#7
 2002-12-15, 01:09
|
Agent Boris_KGB 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Ozone Thing.
quote: Originally posted by Templeton: The best and easiest way to repair the ozone layer is by letting it repair itself. The less Chlorofluorocarbons released into the the atmosphere, the quicker the results. As far as artificially producing ozone, you would need to release it above the Troposhere and into the Stratosphere. Ozone that is released into the Troposhere is essentially smog.
Thats my point exactly.I addressed before that ozone is harmful to living things here in the troposhpere...And I also know that the ozone is repairing itself...But I am say that there is still Chlorine atoms up there destroying the O3....I was merly suggesting that we stop that Chlorine from destroying any more O3....
|
|
#8
 2002-12-15, 01:40
|
Templeton 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Ozone Thing.
quote: Originally posted by Agent Boris_KGB: But I am say that there is still Chlorine atoms up there destroying the O3....I was merly suggesting that we stop that Chlorine from destroying any more O3....
I agree with you, unfortunately there is no feasible way to accomplish that on a scale large enough to effect the stratospheric ozone. While I do believe your idea is sound it is not a economically viable solution. If it was I believe we would be trying to implement it. Besides, like you said the ozone layer will repair itself as long as we control our use of harmful chemicals and pollutants. [This message has been edited by Templeton (edited 12-15-2002).]
|
|
#9
 2002-12-17, 16:56
|
J.C. Stanton 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Ozone Thing.
Well, you are right in that it might not be economically viable right now.
But if global warming is going to make the kind of changes in the Earth's environment that we think, raising ocean levels, wiping out cities, destroying crops, etc., wouldn't it be economically smart to do it no matter what it costs?
J.C. Stanton
|
|
#10
 2002-12-17, 17:35
|
Templeton 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Ozone Thing.
Who is going to flip the bill though? The problem with environmental issues such as ozone depletion is the fact that people can't see it with their own eyes. Unless the problem upsets people or is an inconvience, such as a strip mine or dead fish floating in a local lake, most people will not care. No one can see the ozone hole, plus it is at the pole, not above Topeka, Kansas. If the hole was above a populated area, you'd see lawsuits before anything.
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|