|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Green Planet Environmental issues. The ozone hole. Tree hugging for fun and profit. Toxins in the air, water, and soil. Biotechnological foodstuffs. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2002-03-31, 18:08
|
Empireblues 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Why Vegetarian? Why Not?
Hi, I'm a vegetarian because I believe we take our meat supply for granted - breeding animals to kill them is not natural. Besides this, the method by which the majority of our meat supply is obtained is also seriously inhumane -mainly due to the quantities of animals which must be "processed" in order to meet consumer demand.
I was wondering what other reasons any veggies have for being veggie, or any arguments against vegetarianism people might have?
Thanks.
|
|
#2
 2002-04-01, 03:18
|
segue 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Why Vegetarian? Why Not?
i went vegetarian because of health reasons. I had to do a research project for my medical ethics class and did a bunch of medical research on diets. I already explaind what i had found in another poast, and now i cant find my damn paper! Basicly the practice of eating meat is destryong the planet and humans very very quickly. It harms our health and the health of the ecosystem, and is NOT natural, now hunting down food on a world where there is no other choice is natural. But we have much better alternatives that could save humans and the planet
|
|
#3
 2002-04-01, 19:25
|
White Rabbit 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Why Vegetarian? Why Not?
I became a vegetarian because I love animals and knew killing them was wrong. But also the WAY the animals are killed is so inhumane. These animals are tortured every minute of their lives just to save money and it's horrible and unecessary.
Also, even though we are omnivores, we can live a healthy (if not MORE healthy) lifestyle without meat. The fact that we slaughter millions of animals a year for our pretty consumption is a waste of lives, especially if there is a better and more humane way to live.
I want to be a vegan because animals are still tortured in dairy processing plants but I find it harder to become a vegan since I don't live near any health food stores that sell vegan products.
|
|
#4
 2002-04-02, 06:52
|
Jackol 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Why Vegetarian? Why Not?
You get certain vitamins, minerals and proteins in meats that you cant really get with a strictly vegan diet. That in a nutshell is malnutrition. Oh and vegan food tastes like shit anyways. Stop being such a hippie and get on a real diet. I love animals too, but damn chicken sure is tasty. What are you gonna stop eating ice cream now too cause they torture the poor cows? Awww. Cmon now.
Get some charcoal and lighter fluid. Fire up that grill!
|
|
#5
 2002-04-02, 08:34
|
segue 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Why Vegetarian? Why Not?
Jackol, are you ignorant, i suggest you do some research before scream "Damn hippies" at every vegan you meet. I get more minerals and vitamens from not eating meat than most meat eaters i know, its called a balenced diet, and i dont eat any of that tofu crap or fake meat, i suggest you think before opening your mouth next time.
|
|
#6
 2002-04-03, 10:08
|
VatoDave 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Why Vegetarian? Why Not?
A vegiterian diet drives me nuts. I tried it one time purely because i eat to much meat, bread and potatoes. and it didn't work out. I personaly can't get full off of just vegetarian food i mean after eating shit loads of it my stomach is full but i still crave meat and i also feel ill and low if i do not eat any meat.
|
|
#7
 2002-04-04, 10:46
|
segue 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Why Vegetarian? Why Not?
then you were not on a balanced diet, what did you eat, did you get enough protien, the keyword here is balanced...
|
|
#8
 2002-04-17, 00:29
|
Irish 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Why Vegetarian? Why Not?
Let's get to the bottom line of this topic if you like to eat all vegatables do it! But if it's all a health issue and you really would love a big fat jucy steak, EAT IT! Life is to short to spend what small ammount of time we have here wanting what we can't have. Don't we get enough of that without creating it ourselves? As far as it being a health issue, it's not.You can be healthy with either diet if you do it right! As for me I think I'll have a big fat jucy steak before I go to the bar and get drunk! What can I say I'm an Irish Catholic girl I plan to live it and love it!!!
|
|
#9
 2002-04-17, 07:29
|
|
Regular
|
|
Behind the boat house
|
|
Re: Why Vegetarian? Why Not?
Personally, I believe we're at the top of the food chain so we can eat and wear whatever we feel like. I'm not really interested in wearing a dead animal, but what about survival of the fittest? It's not our fault we're slightly higher on the evolutionary scale? And eventually, we'll deplete the Earth so bad it will kill us off, replenish itself, and a new breed of hairless monkeys will begin to cultivate it.
Cheers, Lost
|
|
#10
 2002-04-20, 13:07
|
segue 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Why Vegetarian? Why Not?
true lost we live in a society where we can eat what we choose, i'm just glad i have the choice to be vegetarian and dont have to hunt down animals by hand to live
|
|
#11
 2002-05-02, 19:41
|
d0m 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Why Vegetarian? Why Not?
im a veg because im against animal cruelty and i find it just plain disguting.
|
|
#12
 2002-05-14, 11:17
|
fakir 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Why Vegetarian? Why Not?
I'm a veggie too. It's been almost six years now that I've realised what torture these poor animals undergo just because our greedy, selfish super egos want to kill to survive! Don't get me wrong I love meat but all of a sudden it struck me - NO MORE. But there are individuals who can't turn veggie; it's their nature; they couldn't help it. There are others who can choose, have the will and determination to carry on like me. There is more than enough cruelty, fear and misery I don't want to add my own.
|
|
#13
 2002-05-14, 21:53
|
|
|
Re: Why Vegetarian? Why Not?
Well if you are a veg head then you better eat sufficient amounts of flax seed regularly because they contain an Omega 3 based fatty acid which plays an important role in diet and can only be found in flax seed and fish.
I wouldn't quit eating meat strictly because the way the animals are treated because your actions are just depriving you of what you want and the animals will still recieve the same treatment.
It's the same with diamonds, many people won't have diamonds even though they like them because people are getting killed over them and mines are taken by force.
They are the only ones missing out though because the demand for meat/diaminds will always be so high that the people will continue to use their methods in order to get it. If your going to do it for health reasons then that is good too, but you can still eat meat and be as healthy as you'll ever be provided that it is the right kind of meat and prepared correctly.
I like fish and fish is a very healthy meat, chicken is a good meat too provided it is consumed in proper quantities, and not out of the deep fryer. I eat beef on occasion and it is a pretty greasy meat so I get it super lean and drain most the fat out of it when it is cooked. Pork is the most unhealthy meat you can eat though, so I rarely if ever eat pork and if I do it is in small portions.
|
|
#14
 2002-05-20, 02:43
|
ScorchedWeasel 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Why Vegetarian? Why Not?
I for one am not vegitarian nor do i ever plan to become. However I am appauled by the cruelty they endure (it's acceptable for something like %5 of cows to be skinned alive ~that's fucked) if there was a company that sold cruelty free ie. free range, properly fed, and killed in a more humane, way i would gladly pay the extra money for it.
|
|
#15
 2002-06-02, 16:11
|
Brent 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Why Vegetarian? Why Not?
quote: Originally posted by Empireblues: Hi, I'm a vegetarian because I believe we take our meat supply for granted - breeding animals to kill them is not natural. Besides this, the method by which the majority of our meat supply is obtained is also seriously inhumane -mainly due to the quantities of animals which must be "processed" in order to meet consumer demand.
I was wondering what other reasons any veggies have for being veggie, or any arguments against vegetarianism people might have?
Thanks.
Please fix up those grammatical errors. Thank you.
|
|
#16
 2002-06-02, 20:15
|
segue 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Why Vegetarian? Why Not?
dark dont you realize that those fish you think are so healthy are the most contaminated meat on the planet, its true go look it up, and chickens are full of chemicals too, thats just ONE reason not to eat them
|
|
#17
 2002-06-02, 22:02
|
Joe Boo 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Why Vegetarian? Why Not?
Like lostcause said why not eat meat? I hate it here in Hawaii where they have lots of fish but i don't trust them even though Hawaii generally doesn't dump waste into the ocean. (that's what they say) They have cattle ranches on the big Island but I worked in a slaughter house but I quit because it was fucking gross. Back home we generally hunt our own food and not only that, hunting also keeps the deer population down because they eat from our garden and cause life-threatning car accidents, knock over garbage cans and destroy property. We were meant to be omnivores but hey what you want to do is want you want to do. I don't want to eat flax seed, I grow my own veggies because I don't want to eat the pesticides they spray on them and I eat a balanced diet since I'm too active to skimp on protein
|
|
#18
 2002-06-03, 02:07
|
segue 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Why Vegetarian? Why Not?
well there you go, sounds like you have a good system, healther than fast food all the time, but not as healthy as vegetarian
|
|
#19
 2002-06-03, 04:02
|
|
|
Re: Why Vegetarian? Why Not?
quote: Originally posted by segue: dark dont you realize that those fish you think are so healthy are the most contaminated meat on the planet, its true go look it up, and chickens are full of chemicals too, thats just ONE reason not to eat them
You mean to tell me a hand raised cornfed chicken or a fish that I just pulled out of crystal clear water has chemicals in it? If you buy it commercially then you get meat that had the animals injected with hormones. Go buy some frest fish off of the coast that was just netted, good stuff. I also doubt that all the pesticides that get sprayed on the plants are good for you either, you can wash most of it off but that shit can get down in the root too and be absorbed by the plant. I had my own garden for awhile many years back and my vegetables were way better than what came out of the stores. Organic fruits and vegetables are what you want to look for when you buy them since most people can't grow enough vegetables year round to constantly keep themselves in supply. Ever wonder why people seem to be getting bigger? Not just getting fat, but I mean overall larger in structure. I have a theory that it may have something to do with growth hormones getting in the meat of commercialized beef. America does consume a hell of alot of beef after all.
|
|
#20
 2002-06-03, 04:06
|
Joe Boo 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Why Vegetarian? Why Not?
How is being a vegitarian any healthier then a balanced diet though Segue? I basically think it's the same whether you balance your diet. but I don't want to eat stuff like flax seed or drink protein shakes or pills for vitamins and minerals
|
|
#21
 2002-06-05, 00:26
|
segue 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Why Vegetarian? Why Not?
its true dark, if you raise your own meat, you can be sure you dont put any chemicals in it, but the air is contaminated, the ground the plants the animals eat is contaminated, the plants are contamanited, ect... so there is still crap in the meat, but less than if you go to a store. about the fish unless your pulling it out of tested water that is not connected to the ocean or any lakes, like a fishhouse, then you could be sure its clean, but even crystal clear water has toxins in it, check out those links i posted in the other topic, i think one of them has to do with fish
|
|
#22
 2002-06-05, 01:36
|
|
|
Re: Why Vegetarian? Why Not?
It's getting to the point where you can't eat anyting without it having something in it to fuck you up.
|
|
#23
 2002-06-05, 19:31
|
biot 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Why Vegetarian? Why Not?
if you don't eat any meat you better take some vitamins because plants don't make B12 and other shit like that. For the most part people do eat too much meat but you need some to have an entirely healthy diet. Our teeth are ment to be able to eat plants and meat, humans are intended to run on both food sources that's the way we evoled you can't agure with that.
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|