About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Mother Nature > Green Planet
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Green Planet Environmental issues. The ozone hole. Tree hugging for fun and profit. Toxins in the air, water, and soil. Biotechnological foodstuffs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-01-13, 23:24
Vindicatus Vindicatus is offline
Regular
 
Default Alternative Building Materials

I am currently planning a vacation home. I want to build my home using old tires and logs. I can not seem to find much information on these designs... Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed...
 #2 
Old 2002-01-14, 06:08
Sgt. Baker Sgt. Baker is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Alternative Building Materials

Can't help you on where to find info besides telling you to search the web.
The logs sound like a good idea but I'm not sure about using old tires. They will eventually rot, are not solid building material, and if they catch on fire you're fucked.
If you own the land you may want to look into using stone and logs found on it for the outer walls and then coat the inside with stucco or something similar. Maybe even use a grass or reed for the roofing material. It's a bitch and takes alot of time and material but it can be done.
 #3 
Old 2002-01-16, 01:19
Rustysickle Rustysickle is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Alternative Building Materials

What is wrong with using just the logs? There are many fine books on making log cabins.

If you are so intent on using the tires you can cut them up and use them as roof tiles. Just expect to retile the roof every three years or so. Or maybe tire furnishings?
 #4 
Old 2002-01-18, 01:53
man*kind man*kind is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Alternative Building Materials

No offence to anyone, but I just saw on the show "Dream Builders," a log cabin mansion that utterly turned my stomach. It was built for a senator. The only person who could afford such a monstrosity, no doubt.

When I think of the number of trees that went into building that thing it makes me genuinely angry. The log cabin ain't what it used to be. It's become a complete ostentation. Building with logs is no ways cheap. And maintenance is a constant because the logs are continually moving. It's an anachronism whose time hasn't, and likely won't, come again. Conspicuous consumption at its worst.

I like the the tire idea. I assume you are going to bury the tires, n'est ce pas? For info on same, try a search on 'Dennis Weaver'. He's the ex-actor ("Gunsmoke") turned enviro-build advocate. His house is made with tires and such.

What about straw bale? Cheap, energy efficient, good for the environment, and
DIY-able.
 #5 
Old 2002-01-31, 02:04
Vindicatus Vindicatus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Alternative Building Materials

Thanks for the advise guys...Since I have started this project so many great ideas have crossed my desk. It's my goal to live in a home that has no enviornmental impact, but one that makes no compramise on comfort. I'm currently looking into alternative energy sources. I'm planning on using both passive and battery active solar energy systems. I also want to build a "zeolite" based heating/cooling aparatus...I'm open to your suggestions.
 #6 
Old 2002-01-31, 10:17
Vindicatus Vindicatus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Alternative Building Materials

Old tires will most likely outlive humanity. Yeah they will start to rot in a few thousand years. Does anyone know the population of vehicles in the US?

P.S. Has anyone heard that tire manufactures will be moving away from rubber inflatable tires? Ive heard they will be replaced with solid poly wheels? Does anyone know what the material is exactly?
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics