About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Mother Nature > Green Planet
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Green Planet Environmental issues. The ozone hole. Tree hugging for fun and profit. Toxins in the air, water, and soil. Biotechnological foodstuffs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2001-04-13, 08:46
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Geneticly Engineered Crops

What are your thoughts on them? I think that some are good ideas, while others are horible. Roundup ready cotton just promotes using more poisins at one end of the scale, while golden rice will prevent millions of kids from going blind.

Note: Of all the GE crops, golden rice is the only one with improved nutrition.

------------------
I would rather be a smartass than a dumbass
 #2 
Old 2001-04-14, 10:16
Templeton Templeton is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Geneticly Engineered Crops

I'm am somewhat apprehensive when it comes to genetically engineered food. Though if it helps people who are in need then all the better. I do feel that the process for genetically engineering foods should be closely monitored. The public should also be educated on what is done to biologically enhance these food sources.
 #3 
Old 2001-04-14, 13:55
Mustard Mustard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Geneticly Engineered Crops

I agree completely with Templeton

------------------
Do as I say, Not as I do.
 #4 
Old 2001-04-14, 19:33
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Geneticly Engineered Crops

Labeling laws should be enacted. GE food is fine, but I at least want to know what I'm eating. When I first heard about the Starlink corn in the taco shells I immediatly ate the ones I had. Good shit.

------------------
I would rather be a smartass than a dumbass
 #5 
Old 2001-04-16, 02:19
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: Geneticly Engineered Crops

Didn't Taco Bell have to take back a crop of their "Taco Bell at Home" taco shells from the supermarkets cause they were made from genetically engineered corn? Too bad, yet glad I didn't eat any.
 #6 
Old 2001-04-17, 01:02
you are here you are here is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Geneticly Engineered Crops

that's what i heard. i also heard that the taco bell restaurants were serving them until they recalled them.
 #7 
Old 2001-04-18, 14:09
winki winki is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Geneticly Engineered Crops

I hope this isn't glaringly ignorant i.e. the
difference between genetically altering and genetically engineering, but um.......

I totally appreciate watermelons w/o seeds!

------------------
=/\___/\=
>~@ @~<
>>(>Y< )<<




[This message has been edited by winki (edited 04-18-2001).]
 #8 
Old 2001-04-18, 16:14
The Real The Real is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Geneticly Engineered Crops

GE foods aren't necessarily designed to be more nutritious. Some are resistant to a variety or specific diseased, while some may just be resistant to frost. Round up actually ain't so bad, it decomposes after a few days into easily metabolizable components.

My biggest problem with GE crops is that the producers of the seeds and the govt that controls them, controls the food supply. Also it's better to have genetic variety in case something does happen. Resistant plants also open up the doors further for new diseases that can form very rapidly.

As far as eating the stuff, I don't see a problem.

 #9 
Old 2001-04-18, 19:33
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: Geneticly Engineered Crops

Yeah, I hate seeds, Winki I'm goin over to Whole Foods Market, want anything?
 #10 
Old 2001-06-02, 16:49
anomie anomie is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Geneticly Engineered Crops

Hi, I'm new here, and I'm glad to see intelligent conversation on this topic.

There is a huge uproar against GE foods in the leftist anarchist community. Indeed, this is one of the trendier protest topics. The main objection, that I can see, is that GE foods are not being labeled properly so that people do not know if what they are eating is 'natural', or whether it contains some gene from a whole other organism.

The anarchists, fueled largely by the organic growers association, are against any corporate research into this area. They are destroying agriculture test plots, and protesting biotech firms that do the research.

It is a crazy world, but I just can't discount some of the benefits that GE foods HAVE TO BE (I don't know for a fact) doing for the needier parts of the world. Grains with new vitamins, resistant to disease, producing better food has to be a good thing.

Peace,

------------------
 #11 
Old 2001-06-04, 09:53
White Witch White Witch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Geneticly Engineered Crops

This reminds me of one of the first posts i read on here when i first came onto totse. about how KFC GE'd their chickens. basically the chickens are altered so they grow to full size by the age of 6 weeks. and some of the chickens are have no wings or legs. just torso's. LOL thats sick man. yet their chicken is truely finger licking good. now i know why their meat is so grisly!
 #12 
Old 2001-06-24, 19:19
Corwin Corwin is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Geneticly Engineered Crops


Biodiversity is very important to provide new species that are more improved. GE plants may be better than the "natural" plants but that is very tricky. You se the chance of mutation in GE plants are very high. Nature does it all. Only slower. The Hunger? What a lie! *uck! Loose some weight burger eaters!
 #13 
Old 2001-06-28, 01:05
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default Re: Geneticly Engineered Crops

My boyfriend was in a political theatre troupe in San Francisco call the SFMime Troupe and they did a play on genetically engineered crops at Dolores Park. It was pretty funny.

Cheers,
Lost
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics