About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > News of the Temple
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News of the Temple News about what's happening on this web site and BBS. Please keep posts on topic.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-08-12, 23:26
enigma enigma is offline
Regular
 
Default Forums Fixed

I used to go and periodically delete all of the message threads that hadn't gotten any traffic for more than 60 days. I hadn't done this since last December, and I was kind of interested to see just how big a forum could get before UBB starting having problems.

UBB uses flat files to store all of it's message and user data. This works fine for small sets of data, but it doesn't scale well. As more and more messages are added, performance gets worse and worse until things start randomly breaking.

As of this morning the forums had messages going back to last October. They were getting quite large -- too large for UBB to handle, in fact. I've heard some complaints over the last week about problems posting messages, problems viewing topics, etc. So I think I've found the breaking point for UBB -- about 10 months of data on this system and it starts dying. (Other UBB systems with less traffic can store messages for a lot longer because they don't have as many messages.)

So I went and trimmed forums down to a reasonable level -- any topics that have been inactive for more than 60 days have been purged off the system, message areas have all been rebuilt, and everything has been reindexed. Performance should be reasonable once more, and forums and topics should no longer lock up on you.
 #2 
Old 2002-08-13, 01:00
hp hp is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Forums Fixed

I've noticed similar phenomenons on many UBB boards actually. If the forums aren't pruned for quite a long time, random errors - most of which are avoidable and tolerable, but not fixable - begin to occur here and there.

I guess the staff on TOTSE has no choice but to periodicly delete inactive posts for this may lead to further inconvencience for the rest of the board (bored?) users.


[This message has been edited by hp (edited 08-13-2002).]
 #3 
Old 2002-08-13, 01:08
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Forums Fixed

It's nice to know not only that the problem has been fixed, but why it existed.

Thanks for the heads up.
 #4 
Old 2002-08-13, 04:45
JonnyQuest JonnyQuest is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Forums Fixed

hmmmm do you know by an estimate how much data that is like in gigs or something
 #5 
Old 2002-08-20, 22:17
josoboo3 josoboo3 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Forums Fixed

Yeah, just keep trimming them down.

Anyone know a good Forum, like EZ Board, or is there a better one?

Thanks,
 #6 
Old 2002-08-26, 05:59
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: Forums Fixed

UBB, Ikonboard, Schnitz, phpbbs, yabb... the list goes on.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics