About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > News of the Temple
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News of the Temple News about what's happening on this web site and BBS. Please keep posts on topic.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-05-03, 03:37
root root is offline
Regular
 
Default New server for totse.com

As you may or may not know, there has been a lot going on lately in my life and a lot going on behind the scenes at this web site.

My long time friend from NIRVANAnet(tm) days, Mr. Noise, is shutting down his ISP business. That ISP business hosted the totse.com web site since 1997, as well as a few other web sites I run.

This made it necessary for me to set up a new server in a new location, then move all of my web sites, e-mail lists, scripts, search engines, stats generators, mail servers, etc. to the new server.

At the same time, my wife and I just bought a new house about two miles from our old house and moved. I got everything configured (I thought) on the new server the night before the movers arrived and moved all of our stuff. The only things I didn't get running were a POP3 server (so I can get MY mail), the stats generator, and the totse.com search engine (which now dies mysteriously halfway through building its indexes).

The past week and a half we've been unpacking and setting things up in our new home. I set my computers up last night -- and realized that the fastest modem I had was from 1998 and ran at 14.4Kbps. I have a modem in my laptop I use when I travel, but aside from that I don't use modems anymore. However, since my DSL connection is not set up at the new house yet, today I went and bought an analog modem. <shudder>

Apparently the e-mail lists got screwed up in the transfer. I am not sure what happened. Mojo Mail was spewing errors that made no sense -- telling me that it could not read the configuration files because they already existed! (I have no idea how it expected to read them if they didn't exist.) All file permissions were correct, all files were identical to files on the old system, file user and group ownership matched up correctly. Still I had errors.

So... to make a long story short after several hours of debugging the problem I decided to hell with it, blew away the old config files, and started from scratch. Everything seems to be working just fine now -- except for the fact that the ONLY people on the mailing lists are those who I've added by hand. If you want to send mail to folks asking them to rejoin the NNSTUFF list, go right ahead. Subscribing is easy and painless. There's a link on the www.nirvananet.org site at http://www.nirvananet.org/majordomo.html and there's also a subscription form on every single page at totse.com, so take your pick.

The search engine on totse.com is still off-line -- I'll get to is as soon as I can.

Also, my mail is a big giant file growing and growing on the new server because I have no POP3 server set up to retrieve the mail. If you've sent me mail recently, you're going to have to wait a bit for a reply. When I checked earlier today my mail was taking up 1.4GB -- that's two weeks worth. Mostly SPAM and copies of the Nimda worm, but there's no way I'm downloading that at 56K.

Also, the front page isn't getting updated with new submissions. New submissions are being received just fine, and we're editing and approving them just fine, but they're not showing up on the front page. I'm tracking that problem down first, but until I figure it out, the main index page is going to get pretty stale.

The only good news out of all of this is that the new server is a whole lot faster than the old one, and can serve a whole lot more folks *and* I can run database applications on it, like database-driven BBS systems and games. For you UNIX / Linux geeks out there, I was averaging a load of around 1.7 before, now the load average is always less than 0.7, usually it's around 0.2. Multiple 1.8GHz CPUs and a RAID5 array helps bring down the load average considerably.

I also have more bandwidth with this new setup. totse.com was eating up a T1 line and at peak times some folks just wouldn't get the pages they wanted because the T1 was saturated. The new site has multiple (shared) OC-3 lines and should not run out of bandwidth.

So... there's a lot going on right now and some stuff is broken, but I'm fixing it as fast as I can while unpacking and working a 13-hour-a-day job at the same time.

Have patience.
 #2 
Old 2002-05-04, 04:15
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: New server for totse.com

Glad to hear you're not coming apart at the seams, unlike me.
 #3 
Old 2002-05-04, 05:12
CDG CDG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

YaY :-) new servers. I was kinda getting worried there about the front page, i thought we were dead or something. looks like we are just fine.
 #4 
Old 2002-05-04, 07:16
static_firefly static_firefly is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

what does totse mean?
 #5 
Old 2002-05-04, 09:19
quandary quandary is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

temple of the screaming electron
 #6 
Old 2002-05-04, 11:25
winki winki is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

I thought it was Trust Only Those Seeking Enlightenment/Education......not really, guess this was another false alarm about playing hdie and seek, hiding and then..nobody looks for you, whatever, I suppose paranoia is a hobby and best done in hiding, nonetheless I do so value the educated, organized and ever more so intellectually agressive than I..make-up of the nnlist community so I will re-register and keep quiet for the most part.

Best wishes on your new home! may it be filled with many, many years of time well spent and have at least one incredibly odiforous, well established plant somewhere in the yard and a few spoonfuls of ice cream in the fridge.
 #7 
Old 2002-05-05, 02:17
maddcow007 maddcow007 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

AYE!!!! That would explain the 500's i have been getting!
 #8 
Old 2002-05-05, 18:55
the creator the creator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

Just wondering but how much do you pay for your bandwidth? Wow that is a nice drop in the load average
 #9 
Old 2002-05-07, 20:58
junglist junglist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

congrats on all the good stuff, root.

but now im sad cuz i made a submission, and it was a good one and its not gonna get posted for a while

ok im over it.
 #10 
Old 2002-05-11, 16:16
-_-OsiriS-_- -_-OsiriS-_- is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

My topic finally got posted -*\In Gir Voice/*-I love you Enigma..-*\In Gir Voice/*-
 #11 
Old 2002-05-16, 21:15
AlterKation666 AlterKation666 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

Anyone know of a good server to start on site building, with not alot of pop-ups and/or banners??
 #12 
Old 2002-05-17, 23:50
jinxOSS jinxOSS is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

u should try angelfire.com its okay...
 #13 
Old 2002-05-19, 02:46
TOWCHBob TOWCHBob is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

I'm gonna sing the doom song now
 #14 
Old 2002-05-20, 18:39
MrEricSir MrEricSir is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

Hey, maybe you can upgrade to a newer version of the UBB now.
 #15 
Old 2002-06-06, 19:26
X66METALdUdE66X X66METALdUdE66X is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

[QUOTE]Originally posted by root:
[B]As you may or may not know, there has been a lot going on lately in my life and a lot going on behind the scenes at this web site.[QUOTE]

Who cares?

[QUOTE]My long time friend from NIRVANAnet(tm) days, Mr. Noise, is shutting down his ISP business. That ISP business hosted the totse.com web site since 1997, as well as a few other web sites I run.[QUOTE]

What other ''web sites'' do you run?

[QUOTE]This made it necessary for me to set up a new server in a new location, then move all of my web sites, e-mail lists, scripts, search engines, stats generators, mail servers, etc. to the new server.[QUOTE]

So this is why passwords were never mailed out to the new users?

[QUOTE]At the same time, my wife and I just bought a new house about two miles from our old house and moved. I got everything configured (I thought) on the new server the night before the movers arrived and moved all of our stuff. The only things I didn't get running were a POP3 server (so I can get MY mail), the stats generator, and the totse.com search engine (which now dies mysteriously halfway through building its indexes).[QUOTE]

Get someone who knows what they're doing??

[QUOTE]The past week and a half we've been unpacking and setting things up in our new home. I set my computers up last night -- and realized that the fastest modem I had was from 1998 and ran at 14.4Kbps. I have a modem in my laptop I use when I travel, but aside from that I don't use modems anymore. However, since my DSL connection is not set up at the new house yet, today I went and bought an analog modem. <shudder>[QUOTE]

Who really cares about this? Do you think you're ''special'' or something? And that you are need of ''special attention''??

[QUOTE]Apparently the e-mail lists got screwed up in the transfer. I am not sure what happened. Mojo Mail was spewing errors that made no sense -- telling me that it could not read the configuration files because they already existed! (I have no idea how it expected to read them if they didn't exist.) All file permissions were correct, all files were identical to files on the old system, file user and group ownership matched up correctly. Still I had errors.[QUOTE]

Hmm.. Get a brain?

[QUOTE]So... to make a long story short after several hours of debugging the problem I decided to hell with it, blew away the old config files, and started from scratch. Everything seems to be working just fine now -- except for the fact that the ONLY people on the mailing lists are those who I've added by hand. If you want to send mail to folks asking them to rejoin the NNSTUFF list, go right ahead. Subscribing is easy and painless. There's a link on the www.nirvananet.org site at http://www.nirvananet.org/majordomo.html and there's also a subscription form on every single page at totse.com, so take your pick.[QUOTE]

Make a long story short? You've been whining like a little bitch for about an hour and a half!!

[QUOTE]The search engine on totse.com is still off-line -- I'll get to is as soon as I can.[QUOTE]

Why not get it now instead of gathering sympothy from this forums 'Regulars'??

[QUOTE]Also, my mail is a big giant file growing and growing on the new server because I have no POP3 server set up to retrieve the mail. If you've sent me mail recently, you're going to have to wait a bit for a reply. When I checked earlier today my mail was taking up 1.4GB -- that's two weeks worth. Mostly SPAM and copies of the Nimda worm, but there's no way I'm downloading that at 56K.[QUOTE]

Lol!!!! I whouldn't either man, that's alot of fucking mail!

[QUOTE]Also, the front page isn't getting updated with new submissions. New submissions are being received just fine, and we're editing and approving them just fine, but they're not showing up on the front page. I'm tracking that problem down first, but until I figure it out, the main index page is going to get pretty stale.[QUOTE]

Going to? Already is!!

[QUOTE]The only good news out of all of this is that the new server is a whole lot faster than the old one, and can serve a whole lot more folks *and* I can run database applications on it, like database-driven BBS systems and games. For you UNIX / Linux geeks out there, I was averaging a load of around 1.7 before, now the load average is always less than 0.7, usually it's around 0.2. Multiple 1.8GHz CPUs and a RAID5 array helps bring down the load average considerably.[QUOTE]

Well that's always a good thing. Hey, you ever need any help, just let me know.

[QUOTE]I also have more bandwidth with this new setup. totse.com was eating up a T1 line and at peak times some folks just wouldn't get the pages they wanted because the T1 was saturated. The new site has multiple (shared) OC-3 lines and should not run out of bandwidth.[QUOTE]

Sweet!!

[QUOTE]So... there's a lot going on right now and some stuff is broken, but I'm fixing it as fast as I can while unpacking and working a 13-hour-a-day job at the same time.[QUOTE]

What ''13-hour-a-day job''are you speaking of??

 #16 
Old 2002-06-06, 20:03
quandary quandary is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

shutup newbie, who cares what you think?
 #17 
Old 2002-06-06, 20:20
-_-OsiriS-_- -_-OsiriS-_- is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

My thoughts exactly...
 #18 
Old 2002-06-06, 20:27
maddcow007 maddcow007 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

WOAH! THE WIERDEST THIGN JUST HAPPENED!!

I've been reading this topic for a good month now, and reading the same shit over and over again out of pure boredom and it appeared that, X66METALdUdE66X was Metaphysist and jinxOSS was junglist. Wtf?
 #19 
Old 2002-06-11, 16:19
The_Famicommie The_Famicommie is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

quote:
Originally posted by quandary:
shutup newbie, who cares what you think?


You can't really blame a "metaldude" for being stupid, it's the way of nature...

 #20 
Old 2002-06-17, 04:12
Dr Know Dr Know is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

hey root whats your e-mail address
 #21 
Old 2002-06-17, 18:06
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: New server for totse.com

Know what would be cool? If we could trade in this dinosaur forum for something more recent, like one that puts active topics in most recent order and then import the old TOTSE archives. Just a suggestion.
 #22 
Old 2002-06-17, 20:56
Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

Yeah, Why don't we upgrade to UBB 6.3.0? we are using 5.47! The newer version is so much better because It has instant UBB code buttons, and other cool things like Moderator pics.
 #23 
Old 2002-06-18, 00:27
maddcow007 maddcow007 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

As long as it doesn't fuck up our post counting, im for it.
 #24 
Old 2002-06-18, 14:48
The_Famicommie The_Famicommie is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

If flashy graphics are that important, why don't you go to bombshock?
 #25 
Old 2002-06-18, 18:24
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: New server for totse.com

Graphics are not the issue here, it is the ease of use. I wouldn't care if it had no graphics at all and just boxes with text in the center, as long as it would work better than the currently existing forum.

[This message has been edited by Dark_Magneto (edited 06-18-2002).]
 #26 
Old 2002-06-18, 19:49
Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

quote:
Originally posted by The_Famicommie:
If flashy graphics are that important, why don't you go to bombshock?


I am reffering to the UBB at E&W forum. Don't EVER say that sinful word in my presence.
 #27 
Old 2002-06-18, 23:18
emerikan emerikan is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Magneto:
Graphics are not the issue here, it is the ease of use. I wouldn't care if it had no graphics at all and just boxes with text in the center, as long as it would work better than the currently existing forum.



the current forum has no graphics...
the current forum is basically just boxes with text...
its as basic and easy to use as a forum gets. why don't you make some suggestions aimed at ease of use if this forum is too complicated for you.

 #28 
Old 2002-06-20, 01:45
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: New server for totse.com

quote:
Originally posted by emerikan:
the current forum has no graphics...
the current forum is basically just boxes with text...
its as basic and easy to use as a forum gets. why don't you make some suggestions aimed at ease of use if this forum is too complicated for you.



Evidently emerikan has selective vision and overlooked my suggestion of "like one that puts active topics in most recent order".

And topics should become active based on if someone posted in it, not just visited it. I go look in a topic under a forum and then check active topics and it's up there on active when it wasn't before and no new posts have been made in it, most forums I go to have topic activity indicated by when someone posted in it.

 #29 
Old 2002-06-20, 03:13
emerikan emerikan is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

well.
community, feel free to correct me...
quote:
And topics should become active based on if someone posted in it, not just visited it. I go look in a topic under a forum and then check active topics and it's up there on active when it wasn't before and no new posts have been made in it, most forums I go to have topic activity indicated by when someone posted in it.

isn't that exactly what the current bbs does?
 #30 
Old 2002-06-20, 20:50
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: New server for totse.com

Thats what I thought, but then I'll visit a topic thats not active, noone has posted in it, come back to active and its up there on the list with no new posts so I was wondering what was causing that.

 #31 
Old 2002-06-23, 08:29
danger_is_my_life danger_is_my_life is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

Is There anybody tried to make a bomb??
r they working ? me and my firneds want to make a bomb but we afraid from if the informations r wrong we can destroy our selves,
who tryied to make a bomb and did it work?
please write me cemotherside@netscape.net
 #32 
Old 2002-06-24, 00:13
maddcow007 maddcow007 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

That really isn't funny. Why would a turkishman want to know about bombs? Think about it.

Uh oh, this topic is probably going to go off on a wild tangent now...
 #33 
Old 2002-06-26, 14:56
enigma enigma is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

Actually, I've never liked UBB that much. It works and it's stable and fairly easy to set up, but it lacks some features that I think are essential to a good BBS.

For one thing, there's no "New Message Scan". I'd like to be able to see all of the new messages (not topics) in all of the forums I'm interested in reading. Check in once a day, press "New Messages", and see what's been posted in the past 24 hours.

All messages are "To" everybody. If I posted a message in a long string of messages, and someone replied to *me*, I want to know about it so I can reply to *them*. Right now, I have to scan every topic and see if there's anything new and if there's anything to me. It makes users do work that the BBS should take care of, and it takes too much time.

There are no automated admin "house keeping" tools, to automatically delete inactive users and 90+ day old messages, for instance. Everything has to be done by hand, from the UBB control panel.

Long topics are unweildy. If you get 200+ messages posted to a topic, and you want to read the latest posts, do you really WANT to know that the topic started last November and was originally about something completely different? UBB won't let you auto-delete individual messages by date, so the original messages stay at the beginning of the topic until the entire topic dies off and (eventually) gets purged.

There was a discussion here about this some time back: http://www.totse.com/bbs/Forum1/HTML/000009.html

Unfortunately, I haven't found anything I like any better, although I keep telling myself I should write something.
 #34 
Old 2002-06-27, 19:27
maddcow007 maddcow007 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: New server for totse.com

Thats great dude. I really like the "new messsage scan" idea, and the the reply thing, what a great idea.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics