About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Reinvent Yourself
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reinvent Yourself Self improvement through body modification, diet, physical and mental exercise, body-building, surgery, chemical introduction, life extension, and smart drugs. Medicine, and other body related topics also belong here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2006-03-19, 14:55
Regular
 
Default Lifting

I lift every other day. When I lift I take creatine and this NOS stuff before I liftand whey protein and glutamine after I lift. Should I be takeing anything on the days that I don't lift?
 #2 
Old 2006-03-19, 15:14
stim stim is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Lifting

quote:
Originally posted by LawnChairSkank:
I lift every other day. When I lift I take creatine and this NOS stuff before I liftand whey protein and glutamine after I lift. Should I be takeing anything on the days that I don't lift?


Evidently you are going through the "supplement stage", do not know what you are doing and are uneducated in this area.
 #3 
Old 2006-03-19, 17:31
Moderator
 
NJ lookin at NYC
Default Re: Lifting

Yeah, maybe true, but he is looking for help, as in learning more ... At least this thread offers a question a little different than the 25 others that ask what to take on lifting day.
In my humble opinion, you probably are oversupplementing as it is. Your urine could be refined and sold for the supplements you're pissing away. That being said, I would simply eat right and take a weak high quality multi-vitamin/mineral, which you probably don't even need, but it's cheap insurance.
 #4 
Old 2006-03-19, 23:16
Regular
 
Default Re: Lifting

What makes you think I'm oversupplementing? Anyone want to actually help me out and answere my question?
 #5 
Old 2006-03-20, 00:02
Regular
 
Washington
Default Re: Lifting

First off whats your diet like?

I would definetly disagree that youre over-supplementing if your diets in check.

If you have trouble posting a daily meal plan, you need to get your priorities straight.

To answer your question though...

You want to take half of your regular dose (ex if you take 5g when you lift, take 2.5 on an off day) of creatine. If you can afford to, you want a protein shake daily ASAP after waking daily too. With the NOS, take the normal dose regardless of whether you lift or not. Thats how most of the other NO supplements are. Experiment though. Maybe try only half a dose. Make sure any protein, food or shakes, is taken atleast 40 minutes apart from the NOS. Youll run into absorbtion issues if theyre taken together.
 #6 
Old 2006-03-20, 00:22
sr13edahlinger sr13edahlinger is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Lifting

quote:
Originally posted by Homerunbrad:
First off whats your diet like?

I would definetly disagree that youre over-supplementing if your diets in check.

If you have trouble posting a daily meal plan, you need to get your priorities straight.

To answer your question though...

You want to take half of your regular dose (ex if you take 5g when you lift, take 2.5 on an off day) of creatine. If you can afford to, you want a protein shake daily ASAP after waking daily too. With the NOS, take the normal dose regardless of whether you lift or not. Thats how most of the other NO supplements are. Experiment though. Maybe try only half a dose. Make sure [b]any
protein, food or shakes, is taken atleast 40 minutes apart from the NOS. Youll run into absorbtion issues if theyre taken together.[/B]


I've heard you talk about having a protein shake right after waking up... what's your reasoning behind this?
 #7 
Old 2006-03-20, 00:28
Regular
 
Washington
Default Re: Lifting

You should consume whey protein immediately upon waking up, because during the night your body doesn't get the calories it needs for regular functions. It resorts to its stored forms of energy, and amino acids--the building blocks of muscle fibers--are an easy target.

During sleep, your body starts to break down muscle mass to get the aminos it needs for conversion into energy. You can stop this catabolic event by supplying your body with quick-digesting amino acids. Whey protein is among the fastest. It will replace the aminos you lost during the night and turn catabolism into anabolism, so you can start growing ASAP.
 #8 
Old 2006-03-20, 01:57
Regular
 
Default Re: Lifting

Thanks for the help
 #9 
Old 2006-03-20, 05:34
sr13edahlinger sr13edahlinger is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Lifting

quote:
Originally posted by Homerunbrad:
You should consume whey protein immediately upon waking up, because during the night your body doesn't get the calories it needs for regular functions. It resorts to its stored forms of energy, and amino acids--the building blocks of muscle fibers--are an easy target.

During sleep, your body starts to break down muscle mass to get the aminos it needs for conversion into energy. You can stop this catabolic event by supplying your body with quick-digesting amino acids. Whey protein is among the fastest. It will replace the aminos you lost during the night and turn catabolism into anabolism, so you can start growing ASAP.



Except that breaking down proteins for energy is not fast at all. Wouldn't eating some simple carbs be better?

I guess I should explain some more. Proteins will not be used to build muscle if there are no carbohydrates with it. They will be used for energy through ketosis, which is bad for the liver and is a long, drawn out process. Therefore, simple carbs that can be broken down quickly would be better to end nightly catabolism.

[This message has been edited by sr13edahlinger (edited 03-20-2006).]
 #10 
Old 2006-03-20, 06:20
Regular
 
Washington
Default Re: Lifting

Your theory does make a lot of sense. In fact, before my cut, I would put 30g of dextrose in my morning shake. The whole idea behind that was to create an insulin spike, which is an extremely anabolic hormone, and like you sort of mentioned, to help protein get to your muscles.



[This message has been edited by Homerunbrad (edited 03-20-2006).]
 #11 
Old 2006-03-20, 07:34
-extremist -extremist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Lifting

You don't need fucking supplements, hard work will get you to whereever you need, if you don't seem to gain muscle and you are working hard, then just drink a shitload of milk.

Supplements are for quitters, just like 99.9% of people who try to lift weights.
 #12 
Old 2006-03-20, 14:19
sr13edahlinger sr13edahlinger is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Lifting

quote:
Originally posted by -extremist:
You don't need fucking supplements, hard work will get you to whereever you need, if you don't seem to gain muscle and you are working hard, then just drink a shitload of milk.

Supplements are for quitters, just like 99.9% of people who try to lift weights.



You're a fucking idiot.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics