About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Reinvent Yourself
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reinvent Yourself Self improvement through body modification, diet, physical and mental exercise, body-building, surgery, chemical introduction, life extension, and smart drugs. Medicine, and other body related topics also belong here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2006-03-18, 17:08
Regular
 
Behind you. With a lead pipe.
Default A simple and effective approach to Acne.

Here we go again then guys, I always see lots of threads here asking how to cope with Acne. And more often then not, bad advice is given and/or the same good or bad advice is repeated. So, in light of this and as long as the current mod doesn't mind (arx), I'll be bumping this for everyone to keep it at the top. Just try to post something similar, rather then dispute it and confuse the people who need help. Keep it informative, not arguementitive.


Acne. Pimples. Spots. Zits. Lodgers.

Whatever you want to call them, they're annoying. And we would all rather be rid of them. But how? What do you do when you have a few spots or Acne? Most people will tell you to do this, or put this on it. Or to pop it etc. It seems nobody is ever really sure.

I had Acne when I was younger, and it was so bad I needed 2 courses or Accutane/roacctutane. A nasty drug that's for sure, you can always look it up on Wikipedia. I had it bad for 3 years before getting help, and I tried everything. Now I'm clear and wise to the most effective methods. Here's some simple advice for those of you suffering from this social life kiler.

The first thing that you need to know is that you can have bad skin, and no acne. And that you can have good skin and acne. And vice versa. So here are two approaches, one for good skin, and one for acne.


Good Skin.

To get healthy, glowing skin isn't hard. But it does take a little bit of discipline. Firstly get a good facial scrub. Those kinds with bursting beads and pods that rub and remove the dead skin from your face. Use that in the mornings and whenever you wash your face - instead of using soap. After this you'll want to use a moisturiser on your face, each and everytime. Baby soft and dashingly smooth and clean. Perfect, simple treatment for good skin.

Getting more Zinc into your diet is also good for your complexion and your skin. So try incorporating that too.


Getting rid of that damn Acne.

This is the depressing part. Acne, and in many of your cases is going to be a direct resuly of hormones. You're getting one of the many joys of growing up. Delightful huh? The best advice really is to not pick at them, as this could, and does, lead to scaring in some cases. Moisturising will help those, but won't flatten them away. Diet plays a very small, next to no part in the severity of your Acne, so don't buy into it.

If you are worried or they are getting you down, go and see your Doctor. There are no magic tonics or cures. Those are all old wives tales . Go to your Doctor and/or see your Dermatologist.

That's about it really guys. Do post your experiences with Acne for the others worrying about it, it can be a very horrific situation for some. Support is always a good thing .

-Toothlessjoe



[This message has been edited by Toothlessjoe (edited 03-18-2006).]
 #2 
Old 2006-03-18, 17:29
Stan Stan is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: A simple and effective approach to Acne.

Weren't you leaving?
 #3 
Old 2006-03-18, 18:00
Regular
 
Behind you. With a lead pipe.
Default Re: A simple and effective approach to Acne.

quote:
Originally posted by Stan:
Weren't you leaving?


What has that got to do with Acne? And i was, but decided people could do with the help.
 #4 
Old 2006-03-18, 18:09
-extremist -extremist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: A simple and effective approach to Acne.

quote:
Originally posted by Toothlessjoe:
What has that got to do with Acne? And i was, but decided people could do with the help.


There is better help than your shit advice, write some more articles you whiney little bitch.
 #5 
Old 2006-03-18, 18:17
Regular
 
Behind you. With a lead pipe.
Default Re: A simple and effective approach to Acne.

quote:
Originally posted by -extremist:
There is better help than your shit advice, write some more articles...


Ok, now I'm confused.
 #6 
Old 2006-03-18, 18:38
-extremist -extremist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: A simple and effective approach to Acne.

quote:
Originally posted by Toothlessjoe:
Ok, now I'm confused.


I wasn't being serious, but write some more articles anyway, keep em coming.
 #7 
Old 2006-03-18, 21:29
-extremist -extremist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: A simple and effective approach to Acne.

Oh and for the acne thing, rub vinegar into your face, and also use it after washing your hair, it gets rid of the sebum.

Vinegar for the win.
 #8 
Old 2006-03-18, 23:23
AngrySquirrel AngrySquirrel is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: A simple and effective approach to Acne.

quote:
Originally posted by -extremist:
Oh and for the acne thing, rub vinegar into your face, and also use it after washing your hair, it gets rid of the sebum.

Vinegar for the win.



Lemon juice does the same thing as well. And don't forget that both lemon juice and vinegar help fade the scars too.
 #9 
Old 2006-03-18, 23:41
Karik Karik is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: A simple and effective approach to Acne.

You can by acne treatment creams at near any store that have benzoyl peroxide in them. I may not be sure of the exact chemistry of it, but I know that I went from Acne to perfectly clear skin as a direct result of the application of Benzoyl Peroxide daily.

Oh, and stay clean. Oil and dirt is what CAUSES pimples, if you're covered in the stuff...no surprise, right?
 #10 
Old 2006-03-19, 13:11
Regular
 
Behind you. With a lead pipe.
Default Re: A simple and effective approach to Acne.

Bump.
 #11 
Old 2006-03-19, 13:35
quandary quandary is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: A simple and effective approach to Acne.

quote:
Originally posted by Karik:
You can by acne treatment creams at near any store that have benzoyl peroxide in them. I may not be sure of the exact chemistry of it, but I know that I went from Acne to perfectly clear skin as a direct result of the application of Benzoyl Peroxide daily.

Oh, and stay clean. Oil and dirt is what CAUSES pimples, if you're covered in the stuff...no surprise, right?



good advice sir. I'm following the bp treatment on acne.org and I've cleared up a lot in the 3 weeks or so I've been on it.
 #12 
Old 2006-03-19, 14:34
Amos Amos is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: A simple and effective approach to Acne.

I have made my acne dissappear completely by not eating anything which has sugar added. So I do eat MUCH fruits etc, but nothing with any form of sugar added. But that won't work for most people, it seems I have some kind of allergic to sugar. My brother has it also.
 #13 
Old 2006-03-19, 14:36
Regular
 
Default Re: A simple and effective approach to Acne.

Hot water, as hot as you can bare, does wonders for clearing up acne.
 #14 
Old 2006-03-19, 18:17
Stan Stan is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: A simple and effective approach to Acne.

Where did that thread go that said you were leaving? Did you request it get deleted?
 #15 
Old 2006-03-19, 18:46
bludstaindhands bludstaindhands is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: A simple and effective approach to Acne.

does the hot water thing really work i am using benzoyl peroxide right now i cleared up some what but still have stuff their
 #16 
Old 2006-03-19, 18:49
beergoggles beergoggles is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: A simple and effective approach to Acne.

I'm curious about accutane. I've been on about every medication for acne and the only option left is accutane. The thing is they won't prescribe it to me the doctor said because of liabilities and such. What is so dangerous about it that they wouldn't give it to a teenager?
 #17 
Old 2006-03-19, 19:20
Amos Amos is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: A simple and effective approach to Acne.

quote:
Originally posted by beergoggles:
I'm curious about accutane. I've been on about every medication for acne and the only option left is accutane. The thing is they won't prescribe it to me the doctor said because of liabilities and such. What is so dangerous about it that they wouldn't give it to a teenager?


IT fucks up your mind, you get very easely depressed when takin roaccutane. As teenagers are emotionally less stable, roaccutane won't be prescribed to a teenager by a cdoctor who still has some of his morals. My brother took it a few years back and he got really fucking depressed, even tried to commit suicide.

It also is very unhealthy, it mainly gives you an overdose of vitamin A (I think) and they have to check you blood every few months to see if it is still safe for you to take it.
 #18 
Old 2006-03-19, 19:21
Regular
 
Behind you. With a lead pipe.
Default Re: A simple and effective approach to Acne.

quote:
Originally posted by beergoggles:
I'm curious about accutane. I've been on about every medication for acne and the only option left is accutane. The thing is they won't prescribe it to me the doctor said because of liabilities and such. What is so dangerous about it that they wouldn't give it to a teenager?


I can answer this , seeing how I have been on it in my teens.

It has a large number of sideeffects that can happen, ranging from hairloss or growth, headaches, mood swings, depression, you get very dry skin, and your lips get so dry the can swell and crack/bleed. You can a number of liver infections - hence the monthly bloodtests.

There are also a few afflictions that haven't been proven, but are linked with it's use, such as lack of concentration and a change in your metabolism. Most people I know just eat like horses and put on no weight. Me included. They're always hungry.

I'm not sure which ones are long term or short term, but thoser are just a very small list of things it can cause. It is a miracle drug when it comes to clearing Acne though.

Personally, unless your acne is causing you serious problems, I would avoid that stuff. It's your life though.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics