|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Reinvent Yourself Self improvement through body modification, diet, physical and mental exercise, body-building, surgery, chemical introduction, life extension, and smart drugs. Medicine, and other body related topics also belong here. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2006-03-11, 16:16
|
Burn it up 
Regular
|
|
|
|
How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
Ok, I have a problem, I have no time to do exercise out of my house, all I do is every now and then some skate, and that obviously is not enough. I would like to know what exercises could I do each day at my house to mantain my physical strength and remain fit at least. I would appreciate if you told me all the details possible, like the time I need to do a determined exercise and how often. Thanks alot.
|
|
#2
 2006-03-11, 18:38
|
|
Regular
|
|
Behind you. With a lead pipe.
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
First of all read through this: http://www.totse.com/bbs/Forum32/HTML/006132.html
It will also give you a good base for general fitness. As for exercises, try out some push-ups(Press-ups), crunches, Pull-ups if you have a bar somewhere in your house, and perhaps you could purchase an exercise bike? Or a treadmill? If you're that dedicated that is.
Look into bodyweight exercises.
|
|
#3
 2006-03-11, 19:42
|
Burn it up 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
quote: Originally posted by Toothlessjoe: First of all read through this: [URL=http: //www.tots e.com/bbs/ Forum32/HT ML/006132. html]http: //www.tots e.com/bbs/ Forum32/HTML/006132.html[/URL]
It will also give you a good base for general fitness. As for exercises, try out some push-ups(Press-ups), crunches, Pull-ups if you have a bar somewhere in your house, and perhaps you could purchase an exercise bike? Or a treadmill? If you're that dedicated that is.
Look into bodyweight exercises.
� Thanks, but I was looking more to being fit.... I mean, Im absolutely thin, I dont want to loose fat, I just wanted to have healthy muscles and general fitness... [This message has been edited by Burn it up (edited 03-11-2006).]
|
|
#4
 2006-03-11, 20:57
|
|
Regular
|
|
Behind you. With a lead pipe.
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
quote: Originally posted by Burn it up: Thanks, but I was looking more to being fit.... I mean, Im absolutely thin, I dont want to loose fat, I just wanted to have healthy muscles and general fitness...
Ahh, ok. Try jogging 2 miles every other day, work up to it if you cannot manage. Try for 1 mile and work at it, until you can do two. So jog on Monday, then Wednesday etc. Look up some bodyweight exercises such as crunches, pushups, dips, pull-ups. And so forth. Maybe see someone at your local gym about the best weigh t lifting rountine to fit inbetween this, I wouldn't reccomend one at all though. Just stick with that, and a good healthy diet for now.
|
|
#5
 2006-03-11, 21:40
|
Amos 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
I would say, doing bodyweight exercises is what you have to do. As toothlessjoe already said, pushups, pullups... to start with. I would also suggest some rope-skipping, it is just very good for almost everything and you can do it at home. I wouldn't recommend buying weights and exercising with them at home (I wouldn't recommend doing any weight training in general), because you can easely damage your joints severely when doing exercises wrong.
Look at these sites for exercises and training programs. These are some sites with good exercises and training tips: http://www.dragondoor.com (my favourite) http://www.trainforstrength.com/ http://www.combatfitness.co.uk/ Also check the links sections on the above sites.
If you have more questions, post them somewhere here or mail me at amossebrechts@gmail.com
|
|
#6
 2006-03-11, 22:14
|
Burn it up 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
quote: Originally posted by Amos:
I would also suggest some rope-skipping, it is just very good for almost everything and you can do it at home.
First of all, thanks for your answers guys... I heard that rope skipping is very good in general, you gain endurance, mainly all of your muscles get to work and its like a substitute for running/swimming plus it also makes other muscles work... Am I right? Which muscles would I use more with this type exercise? Is it enough for them to be more or less strong? Do I gain general endurance from rope skipping? How much time a day would be the best if I was just doing rope skipping as an exercise?
|
|
#7
 2006-03-12, 03:10
|
niggersexual 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
Chuck Norris recommends the Total Gym.
|
|
#8
 2006-03-12, 09:20
|
-extremist 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
quote: Originally posted by niggersexual: Chuck Norris recommends the Total Gym.
Chuck Norris is PAID to recommend it. He's a fucking tosser.
|
|
#9
 2006-03-12, 16:28
|
Amos 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
quote: Originally posted by Burn it up: First of all, thanks for your answers guys... I heard that rope skipping is very good in general, you gain endurance, mainly all of your muscles get to work and its like a substitute for running/swimming plus it also makes other muscles work... Am I right? Which muscles would I use more with this type exercise? Is it enough for them to be more or less strong? Do I gain general endurance from rope skipping? How much time a day would be the best if I was just doing rope skipping as an exercise?
You will gain a LOT of general endurance with rope-skipping. It of course trains your legs very well, every single muscle in your legs is trained well by doing rope-skipping, and it is also very good for your back and stomach muscles. The strenghth of your legs will become far more than average after a few months. 20 to 30 min continuously skipping would be a nice goal for the first months, after that, increase when you feel like it. Right now I can skip 60 min continuously. You should look up some easy exercises for when skipping (for example crossing your arms, switching legs...), that makes it less boring. You can also do for example 10 pullups every time you stumble over your cord, that's even better for your endurance and you get stronger. it is VERY, no, EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to warm up trougly and stretch good before you skip for a long time, otherwise you ruin your legs. Warming up can be done by a little jogging, some burpees, some pushups, a little bit slow skipping... For stretching: make sure you stretch al the muscles in your legs very well, your arms, back and stomach also wouldn't hurt. Turning with your wrists and ankles is very importannt as you mainly swing the rope with your wrists and jump by moving your ankles. If you don't understand anything I type, don't hesitate to ask, but it's rather hard to explain it in a language whitch is not my main language.
|
|
#10
 2006-03-12, 22:22
|
Burn it up 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
quote: Originally posted by Amos: You will gain a LOT of general endurance with rope-skipping. It of course trains your legs very well, every single muscle in your legs is trained well by doing rope-skipping, and it is also very good for your back and stomach muscles. The strenghth of your legs will become far more than average after a few months. 20 to 30 min continuously skipping would be a nice goal for the first months, after that, increase when you feel like it. Right now I can skip 60 min continuously. You should look up some easy exercises for when skipping (for example crossing your arms, switching legs...), that makes it less boring. You can also do for example 10 pullups every time you stumble over your cord, that's even better for your endurance and you get stronger.
it is VERY, no, EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to warm up trougly and stretch good before you skip for a long time, otherwise you ruin your legs. Warming up can be done by a little jogging, some burpees, some pushups, a little bit slow skipping... For stretching: make sure you stretch al the muscles in your legs very well, your arms, back and stomach also wouldn't hurt. Turning with your wrists and ankles is very importannt as you mainly swing the rope with your wrists and jump by moving your ankles.
If you don't understand anything I type, don't hesitate to ask, but it's rather hard to explain it in a language whitch is not my main language.
Hey man, thank you very much, very usefull information. I understood everything you said. But one last question, should I jump with both legs at the same time or should I sort of "run" on the spot as I sort of jump the rope? (I dont know if you know what I mean) Finally, I can see that your legs will be very strong after some time because of how much you use them when rope skipping... and also the back and stomach muscles (not as much). But what about the arms, do they train a little bit? Is the work you put on your back and stomach muscles enogh to notice a change?
|
|
#11
 2006-03-13, 18:34
|
Burn it up 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
quote: Originally posted by Burn it up: Hey man, thank you very much, very usefull information. I understood everything you said. But one last question, should I jump with both legs at the same time or should I sort of "run" on the spot as I sort of jump the rope? (I dont know if you know what I mean) Finally, I can see that your legs will be very strong after some time because of how much you use them when rope skipping... and also the back and stomach muscles (not as much). But what about the arms, do they train a little bit? Is the work you put on your back and stomach muscles enogh to notice a change?
|
|
#12
 2006-03-13, 19:25
|
Amos 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
quote: Originally posted by Burn it up: But one last question, should I jump with both legs at the same time or should I sort of "run" on the spot as I sort of jump the rope? But what about the arms, do they train a little bit? Is the work you put on your back and stomach muscles enogh to notice a change?
Your legs will benefit the most if you run in your rope, but if you jump with both legs your back and stomach get trained more. So I would say, just do a bit of both, and mainly running in your rope. Your arms won't be trained much, they will get some endurance but not that much and you won't feel any difference in strength, that's why you should also do bodyweight exercises. Your back and legs won't be worked enough to show any difference, but they will become stronger. If you want your abs to show you should also do a lot of crunches. But training to show abs ain't my thing, there are some other threads in this forum in which it is explained good how to get them.
|
|
#13
 2006-03-13, 22:52
|
Burn it up 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
quote: Originally posted by Amos: Your legs will benefit the most if you run in your rope, but if you jump with both legs your back and stomach get trained more. So I would say, just do a bit of both, and mainly running in your rope.
Your arms won't be trained much, they will get some endurance but not that much and you won't feel any difference in strength, that's why you should also do bodyweight exercises.
Your back and legs won't be worked enough to show any difference, but they will become stronger. If you want your abs to show you should also do a lot of crunches. But training to show abs ain't my thing, there are some other threads in this forum in which it is explained good how to get them.
Hey, man, thaks alot, you answered every question i asked... really helpful By the way, I started today for 20 minutes, but tomorrow I'll try 30 mins...
|
|
#14
 2006-03-13, 23:46
|
TheAlmightyVineMan 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
http://tinyurl.com/qwnx7
|
|
#15
 2006-03-14, 00:44
|
Diputs 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
This is what I do:
I'm not saying its the right one and its what you should do but I'm just giving you some feedback on what you want to know.
In the morning, I wake up at 5.
M/W/F I do 5 sets of 40 in the morning. 2 sets of 80 situps 10 pullups ( I have a pull-up bar) 150 flutter kicks 500 jumping jacks
T/TH 50 pushups 50 situps 20 pullups 50 flutter kicks prisoner squats
---
I do alot more but sometimes I neglect and skip them. Since I can't run around the house running is not an option for me, but what you can do is do these exercises one after the other. No rest. No breaks. definitely no water breaks in the middle. Doing 40 pushups then 80 situps then 40 pushups then situps again will get you all pumped up and then you gotta do flutter kicks which is a bitch to your legs. Then when you are so god damned tired you can't even stand up you gotta do pull-ups oooh i love that.
You noticed I don't do much on tuesdays and thursdays, I don't do the same routine everyday and I do a lighter workout on t/th because I don't want to get jacked up or messed up or anything. Oh and I also get a chance to run outside when I'm in school, and walking from home to school also helps me exercise and all.
But if you can't get out of school just do some extreme heavy workouts but don't get ahead of yourself. If you are just starting out try to do as much pushups as you can in 30 seconds. Then go on that range and just keep doing pushups until you don't feel anything then increase the #.
For me, the jumping jacks is my only substitute for running since it gets me all tired and everything.
|
|
#16
 2006-03-14, 01:26
|
ararise 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
Again, a couple of ideas:
-Go for either a long distance run (4-5miles) or a series of medium distance sprints (400-800 metres) with 2 min breaks in between. Do this untill you feel you can no longer continue, then do it again, then go back home and do 10 squats then 10 push-ups then 10 sit-ups then repeat as many times as possible.
|
|
#17
 2006-03-14, 03:59
|
Run Screaming 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
http://tinyurl.com/lqgvq
|
|
#18
 2006-03-14, 22:45
|
Burn it up 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
I have been doing it for two days now.. And I get the immpression my calfs are the only muscles working..... could i be doing something wrong? thanks
|
|
#19
 2006-03-15, 20:22
|
Amos 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
quote: Originally posted by Burn it up: I have been doing it for two days now.. And I get the immpression my calfs are the only muscles working..... could i be doing something wrong? thanks
Nope, I also felt it first only in my calfs, but after a couple of weeks, I began to notice a big difference in my quadriceps. At first, your calfs have to work a lot to get the proper strength and balance needed to jump mainly on your ankles. These are also some exercises you can do while jumping to work the other muscles: -jump first with two feet together, than lift your left knee as high as possible as you jump, next again with two feet together, then you kick with lour left leg as far and as high out as you jump, then again with two feet and then do it with you right leg. - jump alternating your feet and very, I mean VERY fast, at least once with every foot per second. The two above exercises work you quadriceps very well. You can also look for more exercises on the internet, it's rather hard to explain them in text. also, keeping you knees bent a little bit during the whole jump works your quadriceps and those muscles on the inner thigs going to your crouch (don't know the english name) more and puts less stress on the bones of your knees.
|
|
#20
 2006-03-16, 18:15
|
Burn it up 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
quote: Originally posted by Amos: Nope, I also felt it first only in my calfs, but after a couple of weeks, I began to notice a big difference in my quadriceps. At first, your calfs have to work a lot to get the proper strength and balance needed to jump mainly on your ankles.
These are also some exercises you can do while jumping to work the other muscles: -jump first with two feet together, than lift your left knee as high as possible as you jump, next again with two feet together, then you kick with lour left leg as far and as high out as you jump, then again with two feet and then do it with you right leg. - jump alternating your feet and very, I mean VERY fast, at least once with every foot per second. The two above exercises work you quadriceps very well. You can also look for more exercises on the internet, it's rather hard to explain them in text.
also, keeping you knees bent a little bit during the whole jump works your quadriceps and those muscles on the inner thigs going to your crouch (don't know the english name) more and puts less stress on the bones of your knees.
once again, thanks 
|
|
#21
 2006-03-16, 20:03
|
maledicent 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
The guy who dishes out the bodyweight advice says he is a tall skinny teen in another thread, why take advice off him. I'm not saying muscularity is the only thing to train for, but look at people who are strong, even lightweight powerlifters, they still have thick muscles. You can't be anorexic and strong, but you can be lean and strong. I know a 140lb powerlifter, who is 5'8 tall, his muscles aren't huge, but they have some size to them and are very heavily defined, I wouldn't consider him skinny. I on the other hand outweigh the guy by 40lbs and look smaller. I also train for strength [powerlifter] but my current routine is based around losing fat.
Just train for strength and reap the benefits. Doing 30 pushups and some rope-skipping won't make you strong, big or fit. Well, skipping might.
Amos why do you think rope skipping is so efficient? Because it is not as stressful on the joints, are you fucking kidding me, it completely fucks your knee joints up. If you look at people who have lifted with correct form, and kept a healthy diet for a lifestyle, they have no joint pain and enjoy an active lifestyle even in their later years.
Go train for strength with weights, please.
|
|
#22
 2006-03-16, 20:45
|
Amos 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
quote: Originally posted by maledicent: The guy who dishes out the bodyweight advice says he is a tall skinny teen in another thread, why take advice off him. I'm not saying muscularity is the only thing to train for, but look at people who are strong, even lightweight powerlifters, they still have thick muscles. You can't be anorexic and strong, but you can be lean and strong. I know a 140lb powerlifter, who is 5'8 tall, his muscles aren't huge, but they have some size to them and are very heavily defined, I wouldn't consider him skinny. I on the other hand outweigh the guy by 40lbs and look smaller. I also train for strength [powerlifter] but my current routine is based around losing fat.
Just train for strength and reap the benefits. Doing 30 pushups and some rope-skipping won't make you strong, big or fit. Well, skipping might.
[b]Amos why do you think rope skipping is so efficient? Because it is not as stressful on the joints, are you fucking kidding me, it completely fucks your knee joints up. If you look at people who have lifted with correct form, and kept a healthy diet for a lifestyle, they have no joint pain and enjoy an active lifestyle even in their later years.
Go train for strength with weights, please.[/B]
I said I am skinny, not that I don't have any muscles. With skinny I mean having few bodyfat. And that has not much to do with my training, it is mainly my diet which causes my skinnyness. I do have muscles, not as much as a weightlifter, but they are nice to see. I am nowhere near anorexic, I weigh 79 kg an am 1m87cm tall, which means mu BMI is 22,6, which is the BMI of a perfectly healthy person. This guy asked for a way to train at home, and that's what I offer him: a cheap and effective way to train at home. You can say whatever you want, weightlifting ain't cheap and can't be done at home without investing a lot. No reasonable person doubts bodyweight exercises make you strong, most people think weightlifitng makes you stronger (which I do not disagree). I think, no, know, rope skipping is so efficient because I do it myself. Try it. Grab a rope and jump. You will be short of breath very quickly. Do it for a while and go to bed. When you get up in the morning you will feel it in your leg muscles. I believe rope-skipping is less stressfull for the joints than weightlifting, because you don't put as much weight on your joints. I also didn't said it ain't stressfull, if you don't want to stress you joints, stay in bed. There is no scientifical prove for rope-skipping to be worse for the joints than running, when executed properly (jump mainly with your ankles, keep your knees a little bent). What I suggested him to do will: 1) help him maintain his physical strenght and fitness (notice how he never asked for muscle mass) 2) make him stronger 3) give him more endurance and that all in a totally healthy, cheap way which can be done at home. If that wasn't what he wanted, then he should not do what I suggest him to do. PS: read my posts carefully, because you seem to read things which I never wrote.
|
|
#23
 2006-03-16, 21:01
|
Amos 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
ohw yeah, btw, not that it matters that much, but as you seem to consider yourself an authorety around here I couldn't resist doing it:
Profile for maledicent
Search: All posts by this registered user.
Date Registered: 03-12-2006 Total Posts: 15 Current Email: Not available. Homepage: NA Occupation: Labourer Location: U.K. Interests: ICQ Number:
[This message has been edited by Amos (edited 03-16-2006).]
|
|
#24
 2006-03-16, 21:28
|
maledicent 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
Profile posting: This place never changes.
Also, I do not doubt that bodyweight exercises can make you strong, hell I do them all the time. It's just you diss out information like a god, yet you call yourself skinny and also in another thread I am SURE you said that bodyweight exercises were better for strength than weights. This is why I question you, howevere with the info you've provided it has cleared a lot of that shit up. Thanks, now fuck off you silly cunt.
|
|
#25
 2006-03-17, 19:56
|
Amos 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
quote: Originally posted by maledicent: Profile posting: This place never changes.
Also, I do not doubt that bodyweight exercises can make you strong, hell I do them all the time. It's just you diss out information like a god, yet you call yourself skinny and also in another thread I am SURE you said that bodyweight exercises were better for strength than weights. This is why I question you, howevere with the info you've provided it has cleared a lot of that shit up. Thanks, now fuck off you silly cunt.
If you don't like this place, get out of it. So I am dissing out information like a god? Your meaning of a god is something very strange, my friend. I do give information in which I confide it is right, if I am wrong, give me reasonable arguments, I am willing to listen to them and react on them. I call myself skinny because I am skinny in the meaning of having a low bodyfat. You know my BMI, I amn't unhealthy or anorexic, I am just skinny. I have said in another thread that bodyweight exercises are beter to get functional strength, as I already staded, read everything I post. So you question me because I give information in an enthousiast manner and call myself skinny? And you call me a silly cunt because...?
|
|
#26
 2006-03-17, 23:19
|
Burn it up 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
quote: Originally posted by Amos: 1) help him maintain his physical strenght and fitness (notice how he never asked for muscle mass) 2) make him stronger 3) give him more endurance and that all in a totally healthy, cheap way which can be done at home.
If that wasn't what he wanted, then he should not do what I suggest him to do.
Man, you told me exactly what I wanted and I understood you perfectly all the time.
|
|
#27
 2006-03-18, 00:37
|
|
Moderator
|
|
NJ lookin at NYC
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
IRTTTTEAIPTAME I read this thread to the end and I'm posting to acknowledge my effort.
|
|
#28
 2006-03-18, 00:46
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
The main thing is, Hung LIke Christ read this entire thread.
Everyone, give him a cheer.
|
|
#29
 2006-03-18, 01:13
|
|
Moderator
|
|
NJ lookin at NYC
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
it was an effort ... especially not to rip into the multitude of bad advice, but I managed. thank you for acknowledging my effort.
|
|
#30
 2006-03-18, 01:39
|
ckg21 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
Why is everyone advising him to do just bodyweight exercises? Could you perhaps get your hands on some free weights? They can also be done quite easily in your house.
"I wouldn't recommend buying weights and exercising with them at home (I wouldn't recommend doing any weight training in general), because you can easely damage your joints severely when doing exercises wrong."
That is offensively moronic.
You don't recommend free weights because he could injure yourself doing them incorrectly?
OK, then *I* won't recommend that he drives a car ever, because he can crash and injure himself if he does it INCORRECTLY.
Don't walk either, you could trip and hurt yourself if you do it INCORRECTLY.
Now that I think about it, don't even eat. You could choke yourself if you do it INCORRECTLY.
My advice to the OP would be to use free weights, but to do so CORRECTLY.
Performed correctly, weight training strengthens not only your muscles, but also your joints, connective tissues, and increases bone density.
"which means mu BMI is 22,6, which is the BMI of a perfectly healthy person."
The BMI is garbage for an athlete because it fails to take into account body composition.
"1) help him maintain his physical strenght and fitness (notice how he never asked for muscle mass) 2) make him stronger"
Irrespective of the fact that #2 makes #1 somewhat redundant, free weights won't necessarily add muscle mass.
"I have said in another thread that bodyweight exercises are beter to get functional strength, "
Why? What bodyweight exercise can't you mimic, or properly substitute, with free weight exercises? With free weights, however, you get to increase the resistance, which you can't do with bodyweight exercises. Increasing resistance is the key to continued strength gains...
[This message has been edited by ckg21 (edited 03-18-2006).]
|
|
#31
 2006-03-18, 02:48
|
ShqipTAR 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
Thats where you're wrong ck. Theres lots of things you can do to increase resistance in bodyweight exercises, if youre smart you can get the exact same gains with just your bodyweight that you could with freeweights.
|
|
#32
 2006-03-18, 03:04
|
|
Moderator
|
|
NJ lookin at NYC
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
sort of ... until you can bench 200 and you only weigh 170
|
|
#33
 2006-03-18, 03:05
|
ShqipTAR 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
quote: Originally posted by Hung Like Christ: sort of ... until you can bench 200 and you only weigh 170
You can do the same shit with just your bodyweight dude.
|
|
#34
 2006-03-18, 14:13
|
|
Moderator
|
|
NJ lookin at NYC
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
ok, I'll bite. tell me how to get 200 pounds of resistance out of your 170 pound body.
|
|
#35
 2006-03-18, 14:18
|
ckg21 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
"Thats where you're wrong ck. Theres lots of things you can do to increase resistance in bodyweight exercises, if youre smart you can get the exact same gains with just your bodyweight that you could with freeweights"
How?
|
|
#36
 2006-03-18, 14:25
|
-extremist 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
Is this forum full of morons?
There is some absolute horseshit in this thread.
|
|
#37
 2006-03-18, 22:51
|
ShqipTAR 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
Do a pushup.
Do a pushup with your feet on a chair.
Do a pushup with one leg in the air.
Do a pushup where only one of your nipples touch the ground, now do it with your feet on a chair, or in the air, or both.
Do the same above with only one hand.
I'm willing to bet that the above is just as hard, if not harder, then benching 200 lbs. And we haven't even gotten into shit like handstand pushups, frog pushups, and all that weird gymnastics shit.
[This message has been edited by ShqipTAR (edited 03-18-2006).]
|
|
#38
 2006-03-18, 23:30
|
|
Moderator
|
|
NJ lookin at NYC
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
quote: Originally posted by ShqipTAR: Do a pushup.
Do a pushup with your feet on a chair.
Do a pushup with one leg in the air.
Do a pushup where only one of your nipples touch the ground, now do it with your feet on a chair, or in the air, or both.
Do the same above with only one hand.
I'm willing to bet that the above is just as hard, if not harder, then benching 200 lbs. And we haven't even gotten into shit like handstand pushups, frog pushups, and all that weird gymnastics shit.
thank you , for your follow up post .... There may be some follow up issues, like how a pushup with one leg in the air makes for an effort greater than one's bodyweight... Do the same above with only one hand.... damn... didn't see that one coming ... but yes , you are correct on that one. k- then looking forward to future posts HLC
|
|
#39
 2006-03-19, 00:02
|
ShqipTAR 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
quote: Originally posted by Hung Like Christ: thank you , for your follow up post .... There may be some follow up issues, like how a pushup with one leg in the air makes for an effort greater than one's bodyweight...
Do the same above with only one hand....
damn... didn't see that one coming ... but yes , you are correct on that one.
k- then looking forward to future posts HLC
Lol try it dude, it works. I've been meaning to make an all inclusive 'how to make a home gym with little to no money' thread for a while but I'm a little bit lazy.
|
|
#40
 2006-03-19, 00:32
|
-extremist 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
Bodyweight exercises can be tough, there is always a few that no matter how much weight you can lift, you can't do it.
That is what makes them so great.
It's a shame most people think it's just pushups and crunches. There is so much more.
I'd look forward to your proposed thread.
|
|
#41
 2006-03-19, 15:05
|
ckg21 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
Now what would one do for other muscle groups?
|
|
#42
 2006-03-19, 18:21
|
|
Moderator
|
|
NJ lookin at NYC
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
following up on the one limb effort ... one leg squats. I know I can't do one in the positive direction, but I can do them negatively. Eventually will get it positive. Same with one armed pullups. Can't do it postitive, but can do eccentrics (negative). I didn't want to defeat my own argument earlier, but now that I'm on the bandwagon ... I'll pull out the old argument that Isometric exercises can do wonders for nearly all muscle groups. It's one of the few ways you can exercise your hamstrings without equipment. (that is leg vs. leg with maximal effort for 6-10 seconds, employing varied angles).
With a chain firmly anchored somewhere, you can do a lot with a half hour of isometrics. It helps to know anatomy to understand what muscles you're trying to stress. These, by the way, are the basis for Charles Atlas's dynamic tension ... which really do work, but only for the mentally tough who can truly push themselves, limb against limb.
|
|
#43
 2006-03-19, 18:32
|
imarugbyball 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: How to keep fit and on a good physical condition without leaving home
quote: Originally posted by TheAlmightyVineMan: http://tinyurl.com/qwnx7
Too true, weights are the only real way to get results, althought they do shit all for general fitness, skipping rocks thought i only use it as a warm-up.
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|