|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Printed Matter Books, Magazines, and Newpapers. What you read and why you read it. Favorite authors, magazines you read, recommendations for future reading, unusual books and where to purchase them, and sources of strange mail. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2006-03-18, 02:50
|
|
|
Why do people like these books?
I'm referring to 'classics' like the Oddesey, Beowulf, and the Bible. Oh yeah, and Canterbury Tales also. Personally, I had to read them for english classes, and all I got out of them was that people back then were seriously messed up. And also didn't know how to write non-stupid books.
Nevertheless, people still say they're great, but I've never heard any reasons for that. Any of those people here? Give me some reasons then.
|
|
#2
 2006-03-18, 02:52
|
The_Rare_Gh0st 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Why do people like these books?
I've never really read those books and don't plan to. I suggest that you read the Rogue Warrior series by Richard Marcinko - The Shark Man Of The Delta -
|
|
#3
 2006-03-18, 16:27
|
BindTortureKill 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Why do people like these books?
Beowulf was a really good book.
|
|
#4
 2006-03-18, 18:01
|
|
|
Re: Why do people like these books?
quote: Originally posted by ChickenOfDoom: . . . all I got out of them was that people back then were seriously messed up. And also didn't know how to write non-stupid books. . . .
Before I waste my time, could you go into more detail on your issues with these styles of writing?
|
|
#5
 2006-03-18, 21:05
|
|
|
Re: Why do people like these books?
^^Ok. I'll explain what I thought of all those books.
The Bible: In the first half, god bosses everyone around and they do what he says. And he's a big jerk about it. That's pretty much all there is to it. In the second half, it seems like some guy on halucinogens was given a pen and some paper.
The Oddesey: Some guy goes and fights a war, and then the gods mess with him until he gets home to his wife, who he keeps cheating on while he's trying to get back to her. He also kills some stuff, including the people who wanted to marry his wife, which didn't make sense since he had been gone for all that time.
Beowulf: Some other guy goes to kill a monster to prove how great he is. Then everyone likes him, he boasts a lot, and then gets killed by a dragon later in life because he didn't let people help him with it.
Canterbury Tales: A bunch of people criticise themselves and basically admit fault for the corrupt nature of medieval society.
Here's my problem with all these: None of them really have a point. They all seem like a bunch of stuff written down for no reason, with people acting in bizzare and stupid ways. It's not entertaining, it's not informational unless you're a historian looking for primary source documents, and all the characters are completely idiotic and one dimensional.
[This message has been edited by ChickenOfDoom (edited 03-19-2006).]
|
|
#6
 2006-03-19, 04:37
|
Tommy Lund 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Why do people like these books?
quote: Originally posted by BindTortureKill: Beowulf was a really good book.
Yea. And you dislike them because you are forced. If you picked them up when you were mature enouh you would have loved them
|
|
#7
 2006-03-19, 04:59
|
Sol463 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Why do people like these books?
quote: Originally posted by ChickenOfDoom: idiodic
Yeah....
|
|
#8
 2006-03-19, 08:17
|
ShqipTAR 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Why do people like these books?
All those books own, and have hu fucking mongus points to them, you just aren't yet at a point where you can recognize the points.
|
|
#9
 2006-03-19, 12:21
|
napoleon_complex 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Why do people like these books?
I think the Canterbury Tales(aside from a few select portions) is better suited for a histoyr class than an english class. It's importance doesn't lie in it's literary value(in my opinion), but rather the fact that it was arguably the first important "english" novel.
I liked Beowulf, and I think the bible is great for several reasons, the first of which being that it makes you think. There is also great literary value in the bible. I suggest you read the old testament sometime, because there are some great stories in it and also some beautiful poetry.
|
|
#10
 2006-03-19, 14:35
|
|
|
Re: Why do people like these books?
^^ Yeah, I did that; I had to for english class. That's the part where god beats up on everyone and bosses them around. Not that he doesn't in that other part, but more so.
I did like it when we had a class debate on whether god was justified in his actions and sides were randomly assigned, though. Some people got pretty pissed off about that.
|
|
#11
 2006-03-19, 15:24
|
|
Regular
|
|
Inland Empire, CA
|
|
Re: Why do people like these books?
God doesn't need justification. He's God.  I'm going to side with the people who think you don't like them because you were forced. Any books from school that you did like? I had the chance to go through some books that were no longer part of the curriculm and had some fun with that. It must have been a little daunting to be told to read parts of a 500+ page novel and more importantly, not allowed to read into it enough to really get interested. Some of the best books I've read were at school. Not assigned, just because they were there and I had nothing better to do. Hell, librarians are even a little friendly after awhile.
|
|
#12
 2006-03-20, 00:02
|
nightmare syndrome 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Why do people like these books?
Quit bitching.
-NS
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|