About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Art > Printed Matter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Printed Matter Books, Magazines, and Newpapers. What you read and why you read it. Favorite authors, magazines you read, recommendations for future reading, unusual books and where to purchase them, and sources of strange mail.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2006-02-27, 20:55
VolatileShiftInPersona VolatileShiftInPersona is offline
Regular
 
Default The Lord of the Flies

I just finished reading this book, (Yes, I know I'm very very late) and I think it kicks ass. I love how there was some politics mixed in, near the end Jack was running something like a dictatorship and Ralph had some democracy mixed in with his semi-dictatorship.

I liked Simon the best. He was the person who tried to keep the group together. Simon always seemed to think about the greater good of others and not himself. (Like how he gave the piece of meat to Piggy when it was apparent that Jack wasn't going to give Piggy any meat).

I didn't like Ralph very much. He was able to lose his train of thought while he was talking. How the hell you can do that, is still a matter I can not figure out.

I liked and disliked Piggy at the same time. The paradox of Piggy is that he couldn't keep his mouth shut to save his life, but if others listened to him, they're lives could have been saved. (Like how nobody listened to him when he tried to take names and keep track of how many people there were on the island. The end result was that the boy with the birthmark on his face is presumed dead.) Another sad thing about Piggy is how he is smart, but his ideas are not valued just because he is fat, wears glasses and has asthma. In short, his ideas are not valued because he looks differently from others.

I disliked Jack. All he ever cared about was hunting, and I compared that to the fact that how the littluns on the island were always playing; Jack was always hunting. Jack was also too egotistical. (Ever wonder why most dictators have such big egos and ambitions? Jack had that in him.)

Roger was a bitch. That's all there is to it. He seemed to be a quiet kind of guy who always ends up doing something you don't expect. Kind of like...a wallpaper kid. A kid that blends into the backround and doesn't talk to anyone and one day when you piss him off he punches you right in the face.

One thing I didn't understand is how they could "accidentally" kill Simon. Didn't they notice that that was him?
 #2 
Old 2006-02-27, 23:26
NavySEAL NavySEAL is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Lord of the Flies

It was because they were so caught up in their hunting game. Haven't you ever done something stupid/weird because you were so involved in something else? That was the impression I got, anyway.

I don't think you were supposed to like Jack.

About Piggy, he was completely devoid of social skills (he was the geek who stands in the back of the room being a smart ass whenever anyone talks to him), but I really liked him and felt horrible when he lost his glasses. When he died, too, but the thought of not being able to see stranded on an island really frightens me.

Simon was my favorite, also. Have you seen the movie? They're very...liberal in adapting the book, but I liked it on its own. Anyway, Simon has this pet lizard and one of the boy stabs it for hunting practice. The look on his face says everything about him, I think.

The only time I really, really liked Ralph was when he started crying on the beach at the end.

A lot of people object to the fact that it portrays all these "cute, innocent little kids killing eachother," but I don't think kids are necessarily all that innocent. I know this seven-year-old who derives great pleasure from poking me with a stick. he laughs, and pokes me more. My point is, kids can be absolutely vicious. I'm not sure if it's society, or basic nature like the book was (I think) saying, but they can be.
 #3 
Old 2006-02-28, 01:11
Moderator
 
Canada
Default Re: The Lord of the Flies

This is quite a remarkable book that everyone should read at least once.

Simon is an amazing character. He particularly stands out with me because I've seen his part focused on in adaptive plays several times.
 #4 
Old 2006-02-28, 02:08
Jasper Jones Jasper Jones is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Lord of the Flies

quote:
Originally posted by Euda:
This is quite a remarkable book that everyone should read at least once.

Simon is an amazing character. He particularly stands out with me because I've seen his part focused on in adaptive plays several times.



I found that Simon was a symbolic representation of a Christ-figure.
 #5 
Old 2006-02-28, 02:46
napoleon_complex napoleon_complex is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Lord of the Flies

The essay I wrote for this book sophomore year was about Christ and devil allusions in the book.

I didn't really like this book(especially since the other two books I had to read for summer reading were Jane Eyre and 1984, and I LOVED both those books). I did remember thinking the ending was a bit anti-climatic(which I still think it is).

I did remember becoming depressed when Piggy was killed, because he was far and away my favorite character.
 #6 
Old 2006-02-28, 19:32
Misquoted Misquoted is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Lord of the Flies

It's been a while since I read this book, but I remember some symbolic significance between the smashing of the conch and the death of Piggy - kinda marking the end of any sense and order and the descent into chaos. Always thought that was very cleverly done.
 #7 
Old 2006-03-03, 16:32
Regular
 
CT NB
Default Re: The Lord of the Flies

Im on the last chapter of this book. so far its kickass!
 #8 
Old 2006-03-03, 17:26
z3r0 c001 z3r0 c001 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Lord of the Flies

They killed him because they were so crazy that they had problems with recongnizing the rules of society and grasping realization. They thought that Simon was the beast.
 #9 
Old 2006-03-06, 18:54
Mellow_Fellow Mellow_Fellow is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Lord of the Flies

Indeed, far from being an abstract look at "children" the book allows a huge insight into the workings of basic society and where it leads to...

great book, full of ideas, read it.
 #10 
Old 2006-03-19, 04:40
Regular
 
Vermont
Default Re: The Lord of the Flies

I always disliked the idea of it, because I felt it was implying that children are incapable of taking care of themselves, and I found that offensive. But I think that's probably because I was the type that would have gotten killed if I was in the book.

Anyways, I didn't read it, but I liked the Simpsons version. "And then they were rescued by... oh, let's say Moe."
 #11 
Old 2006-03-19, 08:18
ShqipTAR ShqipTAR is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Lord of the Flies

quote:
Originally posted by ChickenOfDoom:
I always disliked the idea of it, because I felt it was implying that children are incapable of taking care of themselves, and I found that offensive. But I think that's probably because I was the type that would have gotten killed if I was in the book.

Anyways, I didn't read it, but I liked the Simpsons version. "And then they were rescued by... oh, let's say Moe."



What the fuck? Stfu unless you actually read it. Rofl at basing your opinions off the Simpsons version.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics