About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Art > Printed Matter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Printed Matter Books, Magazines, and Newpapers. What you read and why you read it. Favorite authors, magazines you read, recommendations for future reading, unusual books and where to purchase them, and sources of strange mail.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2005-07-20, 01:54
Eudaemonistic_SOB Eudaemonistic_SOB is offline
Regular
 
Default Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Of course I forgot to give credit to deptstoremook for the first edition, which happened to be superior to this thread in that it included why the book was listed as required reading.

Well, you get the idea. The original thread contained many great books to provide totseans with reading suggestions.

The longer your list, although quality over quantity is always better, the more helpful and interesting this thread will be to everyone.

Wow, there are already well over two hundred books on the list.

I'm disappointed that the original was deleted without any notice for bumping.

For those of you that don't realize it, there is no order to this list.

The Illiad
The Odyssey
Ulysses (Anything by Joyce)
The Count of Monte Cristo
The Complete Works of Shakespeare
The Grapes of Wrath
The Great Gatsby
Animal Farm
1984
Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas
Brave New World
Angela's Ashes
The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy, and Mathematics
The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz
The Deptford Trilogy
The Bible
Frankenstein
Catch 22
Catcher in the Rye
Two Solitudes
Paradise Lost
The Death of Ivan Illytch.
Dracula
LOTR (Anything by Tolkien)
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy (Anything by Douglas Adams)
The Republic
The Allegory of the Cave
Jane Eyre
The Things They Carried
Beloved
Crime and Punishment
For Whom the Bell Tolls
The Sun Also Rises
Fahrenheit 451
Fight Club
Gods Debris
Tao of Jeet Kune Do
H4rrY p0tt3R!!! OMG!! l0lz0rz!11!
Heart of Darkness
The Poisonwood Bible
All Quiet on the Western Front
Anything by Burgess (A Clockwork Orange)
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Flowers for Algernon
The Color Purple
Qu'ran
Torah
Anything by William Faulkner
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Leaves of Grass
Anything by Robert Frost
Anything by Emily Dickinson
Things Fall Apart
On the Road
Slaughterhouse-Five
Anything by Nietzsche
Go Tell it on the Mountain
Point Counterpoint
Jennifer Government
Of Human Bondage
The Moral Animal
Non-Zero: The Sum of Human Logic
The Disposessed
The Razor's Edge
Temporary Autonomous Zone
Power of One
A Christmas Carol
Anything by Einstein
The Chronicles of Narnia
Noteable Historical Trials (Vol. 1-4)
No Man is an Island: A Selection of Prose of John Donne
The New York Public Library Science Desk Reference
Culloden
Glencoe
Aeneid
Moby Dick
Anything by Will Ferguson (If you're Canadian)
Business Communication: Process & Product
Neuromancer
Anything by Poe
The Egyptian
Anything by Orwell
The Farseer Saga (Anything by Robin Hobb AKA Megan Lindholm)
The Wheel of Time
Anything by T.H. White
A Song of Fire and Ice
The Sword of Truth
Anything by Tad Williams
Anything by David Eddings
Anything by Frank Herbert (Dune Series in Particular)
Anything by Raymond Feist (Riftwar Saga)
The Darksword Trilogy
The Death Gate Cycle
Sword of Shannara
Rose of the Prophet
Anything by Michael Moorcock
Incarnations of Immortality Series
Anything by Steven Brust
Tales from the Earthsea
Tales of the Otori
The Glass Bead Game
The Prince
The Art of War
Anything by Jung
Anything by Marx
Metamorphosis
Gulliver's Travels
The Island of Doctor Moreau
Oedipus Trilogy (Sophocles)
Gulliver's Travels
Dante's The Divine Comedy (especially Inferno)
Origin of Species
Anything by Dickens
Anything by Jules Verne
Don Quixote
This Side of Paradise
The Wealth of Nations
The Time Machine
The Three Musketeers
Faust
The Dumas Club
Long Walk to Freedom
Anything by Hunter S. Thompson
In the Skin of a Lion
Coming up for Air
The Motorcycle Diaries
The Histories (Herodutus)
Song of Solomon
Shibumi
Breakfast of Champions
Despair (Nabokov)
Something Happened
Ivanhoe
Redwall
The Dharma Bums
The Divine Comedy
Selected Works of King
Anything by Kerouac
The Autobiography of Malcolm X
The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
Anything about science, history, or religion by Asimov
On War
Schindler's List
Grimm's Fairy Tales
Hans Andersen's Fairy Tales
The Arabian Nights
The Oxford Companion to English Literature
On the Good Life
Meditations
Democracy in America
History of Western Philosophy
The Wit of Oscar Wilde
A History of the English-speaking Peoples
Anything by Hawking
Silent Spring
Island
Ishmael
A Brief History of Everything
Ishmael: An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit
Thus Spoke Zarathustra
The Millionaire Machine
Common Sense Economics
Goals! by Brain Tracy
Man's Search For Meaning
Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates
The Clan of the Cave Bear
Anna Karenina
Bhagavad Gita
Sophocles
Siddharta
Dhalgren
Something Happened
God Knows
Endgame (Script)
Voss
A Short History Of Nearly Everything
Out of Darkness
The War Diaries of Weary Dunlop
Papillon
The Stars My Destination
Zop Wallop
Common Sense, the Rights of Man, and Other Essential Writings by Thomas Paine
The Red and the Black
Anything by Balzac (Lost Illusions)
Anything by Lovecraft
Njal's Saga
Anything by Schopenhauer
Anything by Rousseau
Leviathan
From Here to Eternity
The Thin Red Line
Anything by Brian Greene
Anything by Hesse
Waiting for Godot: A Tragicomedy in Two Acts
The Martian Chronicles
Reflections on the Revolution in France
Story of Philosophy by Durant
The Picture of Dorian Gray
One Hundred Years of Solitude
Ficciones
One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
Anything by Terry Pratchett
The Godfather
Rosemary's Baby
Anything by Philip K. Dick
Songs of Innocence and Experience by William Blake
L'Etranger by Albert Camus

Many more to come when I have a moment to think about it.

I'm going to update my list up front for incase/when this thread gets large to make it usable without taking the time to go through pages of posts.

[This message has been edited by Eudaemonistic_SOB (edited 03-08-2006).]
 #2 
Old 2005-07-20, 02:03
Valmont Valmont is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

I must say:

The Great Gatsby.
1984.
Brave New World.
The Death of Ivan Illytch.
Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas.

-Val
 #3 
Old 2005-07-20, 15:45
Regular
 
Worcester England.
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Anything written by Tolkien can't lose
Dracula - This book does start off rather tediously, but once you get into it, it becomes an absolutely fantastic read.

If someone doesn't mention 'Hitchikers guide to the galaxy' or any of the other books in that 'series' - i shall commit virtual suicide on behalf of Douglas Adams.

Yikes, also - The Republic and The allegory of the cave. Can't hurt to have some philosophical input.
arx_



[This message has been edited by arx (edited 07-20-2005).]
 #4 
Old 2005-07-20, 18:16
napoleon_complex napoleon_complex is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Angela's Ashes
Jane Eyre
Julius Caesar
 #5 
Old 2005-07-20, 19:39
mattbowilly mattbowilly is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

let try (((if possible))) to get down to a 15 or 20 book list that we can (or most of us) can agree on.

To start out everyone post their ideas, then later we'll start making cuts.
 #6 
Old 2005-07-20, 19:41
devil's haircut devil's haircut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by arx:
Dracula - This book does start off rather tediously, but once you get into it, it becomes an absolutely fantastic read.


I disagree, I thought the book was terrible and the ending was a tremendous cop-out. I think a different author could have made it a much better story. It was incredibly dull and boring.

I'm also going to disagree with "The Complete Works of Shakespeare" simply because I'm not a fan of Shakespeare. I think everyone should read at least one of his works, though.

Definitely 1984 and Catch 22, also Tolkein's books.

Hmmm...

The Things They Carried (Tim O'Brien, I think)
Beloved (Toni Morrison)
Crime and Punishment (Dostoevsky)
For Whom the Bell Tolls (at least one Hemingway should be included in here)

That's all for now. I'll post more later.

[This message has been edited by devil's haircut (edited 07-20-2005).]
 #7 
Old 2005-07-20, 19:50
Eudaemonistic_SOB Eudaemonistic_SOB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by mattbowilly:
let try (((if possible))) to get down to a 15 or 20 book list that we can (or most of us) can agree on.

To start out everyone post their ideas, then later we'll start making cuts.



No. This thread isn't a place to agree or find Printed Matter's favorite books.

This thread should include as many books that are worth reading as you can think of in order to give people ideas for what they might want to read.

[This message has been edited by Eudaemonistic_SOB (edited 07-20-2005).]
 #8 
Old 2005-07-20, 20:19
Regular
 
Worcester England.
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by devil's haircut:
I disagree, I thought the book was terrible and the ending was a tremendous cop-out. I think a different author could have made it a much better story. It was incredibly dull and boring.



True the ending lacked any melodrama which was a typical theme running throughout the book. However, on a second read of the ending - it all becomes much clearer and the finer points shine out and make you appreciate it all the more.
Calling a book boring is a pointless exercise - that's just your opinion.
True another author may have been able to improve upon the work, but it was to Bram Stoker that this idea occurred, not to 'another author'.

arx_

 #9 
Old 2005-07-20, 23:10
Vflo Vflo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Fahrenheit 451
Fight Club
Survivor
Choke
Gods debris
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Brave New World
Tao of Jeet Kune Do
 #10 
Old 2005-07-20, 23:33
better than you better than you is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

H4rrY p0tt3R!!! OMG!! l0lz0rz!11!


JK is teh s00 much b3tt3r than teh sux0r Hemmingway!1@
 #11 
Old 2005-07-21, 02:48
devil's haircut devil's haircut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by arx:
Calling a book boring is a pointless exercise - that's just your opinion.


Exactly, it's my opinion, which I stated. There's nothing pointless about stating one's opinion. If people didn't state opinions, this website wouldn't be here.
 #12 
Old 2005-07-21, 04:25
Keriba Keriba is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Here's my list (I know some of these have already been said, but eh):

�Lord of the Flies- William Golding
�Heart of Darkness- Joseph Conrad
�The Grapes of Wrath- John Steinbeck
�1984- George Orwell
�Animal Farm- George Orwell
�The Poisonwood Bible- Barbara Kingsolver
�All Quiet on the Western Front- Erich Maria Remarque
�The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn- Mark Twain
�Flowers for Algernon- Daniel Keyes
�The Color Purple- Alice Walker
�The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (and the Hobbit!)- J.R.R. Tolkien
�The Bible and perhaps the Qu'ran and/or Torah

Also, perhaps something by:

�Toni Morrison
�Edith Wharton
�William Faulkner
�Ernest Hemingway
�Edgar Allan Poe

I just haven't really read much by them yet.
 #13 
Old 2005-07-21, 05:34
napoleon_complex napoleon_complex is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

I'm going to add "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou, "Leaves of Grass" by Walt Whitman, and anything by Robert Frost or Emily Dickinson.
 #14 
Old 2005-07-21, 06:43
mattbowilly mattbowilly is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Only a partial list, also I left out anything that had already been said..

� Things Fall Apart Achebe
� On the Road Kerouac
� Slaughterhouse-five Vonnegut
� Go Tell it on the Mountain Baldwin
� Of Human Bondage Maughanm
� The Living Reed Buck
� The Good Earth Buck
� The Townsman Buck
� Song of Solomon Morrison
� Point Counterpoint Huxley
� Jacob�s Hands Huxley
� Jennifer Government Barry
� The Jungle Sinclair
� Death of a Salesman Miller

Especially Of Human Bondage...
 #15 
Old 2005-07-21, 07:39
jaronkenney jaronkenney is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

I'll give TWO good tokens to whoever finds links me to the first set of books.
 #16 
Old 2005-07-22, 05:54
pyromattiac pyromattiac is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

With Fire and Sword by Henryk Sienkiweiz (sp?) is an amazing read despite being over 1,000 pages.
 #17 
Old 2005-07-22, 11:30
Moderator
 
Deep South
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by mattbowilly:
� Jennifer Government Barry


Great book! Love the game it inspired online:
http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Have to add:

The Moral Animal and Non-Zero: The Sum of Human Logic by Robert Wright.

and about 10 others, but it's 5:32 a.m. and I have to get ready for work.


 #18 
Old 2005-07-22, 11:41
Wintermute Wintermute is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

The Disposessed, by ursual k leguin (must read for any wannabe anarchists)

The Razor's Edge, by W. Somerset Maugham..

Hm, I include many of the books others have posted, so I won't repeat..

Oh, Temporary Autonomous Zone by Hakim Bey

If it wasn't almost 7 am, I could think of more.. I'll come back to this later.
 #19 
Old 2005-07-22, 13:29
Moderator
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by napoleon_complex:
Angela's Ashes
Jane Eyre



Oh I love those two!

I have to say the Harry Potter books is a great way to get children/young adults reading.
I really disliked The Great Gatsby unlike a few of you it seems..

Lord of the Flies - great book was one of my favorite that I studied at school.

Power of one - Bryce Courtenay


[This message has been edited by kAtE- (edited 07-22-2005).]
 #20 
Old 2005-07-22, 15:29
skza skza is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

The giver, to add to the list.
 #21 
Old 2005-07-22, 16:20
mattbowilly mattbowilly is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by AngryFemme:
Great book! Love the game it inspired online:
[URL=http: //www.nati onstates.n et/cgi-bin /index.cgi ]http://ww w.nationst ates.net/c gi-bin/index.cgi[/URL]




I play nation states... or at least i uset to. it got old sorta fast.
 #22 
Old 2005-07-22, 17:08
Ecephalothorax Ecephalothorax is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

A Christmas Carol.
Lord of the Flies.
Fahrenheit 451. Yes, definately.

About Time or some other book about relativity. Since Einstein and his theory are so famous and yet few know what it explains something so unexpected yet true.



[This message has been edited by Ecephalothorax (edited 07-22-2005).]
 #23 
Old 2005-07-22, 17:59
Keriba Keriba is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by kAtE-:
Oh I love those two!

I have to say the Harry Potter books is a great way to get children/young adults reading.
I really disliked The Great Gatsby unlike a few of you it seems..

Lord of the Flies - great book was one of my favorite that I studied at school.

Power of one - Bryce Courtenay



I agree with everything you just said. Especially the Great Gatsby bit. I hated that book.
 #24 
Old 2005-07-22, 19:04
Eudaemonistic_SOB Eudaemonistic_SOB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by Keriba:
I hated that book.


Can you explain, intelligently, why in another thread?
 #25 
Old 2005-07-23, 00:03
LockeTM LockeTM is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

hmm... my list seems distinctively different of the most... I think I blame that to getting not so many translated books here, and not just crappy taste :P

Tales from the Earthsea - Ursula le Guin
Tales of the Otori - Lian Hearn
About anything from Edgar Allan Poe
Crime and Punishment (or some other old russian piece of litterature)
Farseer saga - Robin Hobb, simply because the language is beautiful
Neuromancer and/or Mona Lisa overdrive - William Gibson
Midsummernights dream and the Tempest - Shakespeare (as if someone didnt know the writer)
The Egyptian (Sinuhe)- Mika Waltari
The Glass Bead Game - Hermann Hesse
And if comic books are counted, Sandman series from Neil Gaiman

And, of course, most things from George Orwell, and everything from Tolkien
 #26 
Old 2005-07-23, 04:19
Keriba Keriba is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by Eudaemonistic_SOB:
Can you explain, intelligently, why in another thread?


Well... I�m ashamed to say that I probably can't explain all that intelligently why I don�t like it. I actually didn�t even finish the book. (It�s the only school book that I haven�t, actually.) I stopped a few chapters from the end, a bit after the chick got run over by Gatsby.

And you know, maybe it wasn�t even the book itself that I disliked. Maybe I was just uncomfortable with the time period it depicted and how unhappy everyone was. The 20�s really was a shitty decade.

Or maybe it was something about the style.

As I said, I can't really explain intelligently. Just, something about that book kind of threw me off. I hated slogging through it.

Dr. T. J. Eckleburg was a nice touch though.

I think I�ll reread (and finish!) it sometime so I can better explain.

(Oh, and I didn�t think this post deserved a completely new thread, so I posted it here, but if you want, I can start a Great Gatsby thread.)
 #27 
Old 2005-07-23, 07:16
CarbonB CarbonB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

You don't like The Great Gatsby? That is one of the few books I liked from school.

Also, for some reason after doing a report on Robert Frost...I was really turned off by him.

I usually don't like Dickens, and I would suggest Ursela Le Guin, I mean I am reading her EarthSea series, which I read as a kid and I love them a lot.

Although the language isn't mistifying I still like it.
 #28 
Old 2005-07-23, 07:30
Regular
 
Land of the Ires.
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Well the thing that impresses me with your list is it's great variety. For instance putting Verne and Steinbeck, the Republic and the Koran together. All those books will appeal to different people at different times in their lives. For instance, I read everything I could get by Verne when I was little, much to the disdain of adults who thought I was faking. And I read The Grapes of Wrath when I was oh 16 or 17, and never got it. All it is a seething jew gloating over the collapse of gentile society. And the Republic is a mosterpiece, while the Quo'ran (sounds klingon) pretty much depends on a belief that the angel Gabriel came and dictated it to some lice encrusted raghead. And what is the 3Muskateers doing there? Besides being a cracking good read, I don't see why its "required". In fact I havent read half of those books, and most likely never will. Is it supposed to be campleat? What criteria did you use for drawing it up?
 #29 
Old 2005-07-23, 08:59
Garfunkel Garfunkel is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

The Dumas Club - Arturo Perez Reverte, and yes, that is Dumas as in Alexandre.

Long Walk to Freedom - Nelson Mandella.

The Rum Diary - Hunter S. Thompson

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson

In the Skin of a Lion - Michael Ondaatje

1984, Animal Farm and Coming up for Air - All by Orwell, and I cant believe how few people have read Coming up for Air, one of his greatest.

The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas

The Motorcycle Diaries - Ernesto 'Che' Guevara.

Travelling with Che Guevara: The Making of a Revolutionary - Alberto Granado.

The Iliad and the Oddysey - Homer.

The Histories - Herodutus

I dont like saying this is "required reading" as I dont think anyone should be required to do something they dont want to do, but I think everyone can learn a lot from those books.
 #30 
Old 2005-07-23, 22:02
cheapandugly cheapandugly is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

as i lay dying (faulkner)
song of solomon (morrison)
invisible monsters (palahniuk)
shibumi (trevanian)
the loo sanction (trevanian)
breakfast of champions (vonnegut)
the clan of the cave bear (auel)
fahrenheit 451 (bradbury)
despair (nabokov)
catch 22 (heller)
something happened (heller)
finnegan's wake (joyce)
a portrait of the artist as a young man (joyce)
ivanhoe (scott)
redwall (jacques)
mossflower (jacques)
a wrinkle in time [and the rest of that series](l'engle)
bless me ultima (anaya)
edit:
the dharma bums (kerouac)
slaughterhouse five (vonnegut)
1984 (orwell)
any other vonnegut stuff
any other palahniuk stuff
the divine comedy (alighieri)
pet sematary (king)
the shining (king)



[This message has been edited by cheapandugly (edited 07-23-2005).]
 #31 
Old 2005-07-25, 02:59
Eudaemonistic_SOB Eudaemonistic_SOB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Anybody have some non-fiction to offer up?
 #32 
Old 2005-07-25, 08:51
cheapandugly cheapandugly is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by Eudaemonistic_SOB:
Anybody have some non-fiction to offer up?


the autobiography of malcolm x (haley)

that's the only completely interesting non-fiction i've tackled in quite a while

but how bout historical fiction...
trinity, and mila 18 (uris)
 #33 
Old 2005-07-25, 15:24
napoleon_complex napoleon_complex is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by Eudaemonistic_SOB:
Anybody have some non-fiction to offer up?


The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Anything about science, history, or religion by Asimov. The art of war by Sun-tze. On War by Clausewitz. The Republic by Plato.
 #34 
Old 2005-07-25, 22:27
LockeTM LockeTM is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by Eudaemonistic_SOB:
Anybody have some non-fiction to offer up?



The Webster ? Nah, seriously, Schindler's list, by Thomas Keneally (?), and Five Rings.

Btw, would anyone here know who wrote the latter one? Or is it only known as 'that asian dude'?

[This message has been edited by LockeTM (edited 07-25-2005).]
 #35 
Old 2005-07-26, 01:02
Ecephalothorax Ecephalothorax is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Musashi?

The Universe in a Nutshell, Stephen Hawking.
Chicken Soup series, various.
Silent Spring, Rachel Carson.
Any Old Iron, Anthony Burgess.
 #36 
Old 2005-07-27, 00:03
liam liam is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

I would recommened Island by Aldous Huxley. I enjoyed it alot more than Brave New World to be honest. I'll also recommend A Brief History of Everything by Ken Wilbur, and Ishmael by Daniel Quinn.
 #37 
Old 2005-07-27, 03:46
Garfunkel Garfunkel is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

A few on my list were non-fiction, The Histories, for example, is the primary source of information when looking at the ancient Spartan and Persian empires. Long Walk to Freedom is DEFINATELY non-fiction. It is required reading on any level, as his plight is one of the most important for the African people.

Also The Motorcycle Diaries and Travelling with Che Guevara are non fiction as well, and well worth a read for anyone who actually wants to understand the nature of Che.
 #38 
Old 2005-08-01, 00:47
Apathetic Apathetic is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by skza:
The giver, to add to the list.



If you mean The Giver by Lois Lowry, then I have to disagree. I loved this book when I was 11 but it by no means a signifigant or even particularily good book. Although it is simple and short, it is a good read for younger people, younger being between the ages of 10-14.
 #39 
Old 2005-08-02, 00:47
Eudaemonistic_SOB Eudaemonistic_SOB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by Apathetic:

If you mean The Giver by Lois Lowry, then I have to disagree. I loved this book when I was 11 but it by no means a signifigant or even particularily good book. Although it is simple and short, it is a good read for younger people, younger being between the ages of 10-12.



I couldn't have put it better myself.
 #40 
Old 2005-08-03, 06:27
Moderator
 
Fairfax, Virginia, America
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

I am shocked and appalled that Thus Spoke Zarathustra is not on there. The pinnacle of Western philosophy, unrepresented? Blasphemy!
 #41 
Old 2005-08-06, 21:49
wa739 wa739 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

The Millionaire Machine should definitely be required reading for everyone, because it explains the importance of compound interest and how anyone with a job can become wealthy. Common Sense Economics is also a very good read, because it will give you a better understanding of how the world works. Goals! by Brain Tracy should seriously be read by everyone, because it explains how to accomplish nearly any goal imaginable.
 #42 
Old 2005-08-07, 00:34
Paigey Paigey is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Thanks for posting this thread. I was looking for the old one this morning and almost started a new one, but since I don't post here that often, I didn't want to incur flames for posting the thread when I thought it could possibly be archived somewhere that I didn't know about.

 #43 
Old 2005-08-07, 02:00
mattbowilly mattbowilly is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by Gorloche:
I am shocked and appalled that Thus Spoke Zarathustra is not on there. The pinnacle of Western philosophy, unrepresented? Blasphemy!


"shocked" "appalled" "blasphemy" ... yikes!! calm down!

 #44 
Old 2005-08-07, 04:47
Eudaemonistic_SOB Eudaemonistic_SOB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by mattbowilly:
"shocked" "appalled" "blasphemy" ... yikes!!


No, those sum it up quite nicely.

Paigey: I was bumping the previous thread, but I let it lapse for a few days and it got deleted along with a few other choice threads. Printed Matter just didn't get a mod in time to save them.

[This message has been edited by Eudaemonistic_SOB (edited 08-07-2005).]
 #45 
Old 2005-08-07, 08:23
Paigey Paigey is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

What sucks even more is the fact that I was compiling a new list today on notepad and my computer crashed and I lost at least 60 that I'd recalled.
 #46 
Old 2005-08-08, 07:32
spaawn7 spaawn7 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

I'll leave ou the obvious ones, these are just books I like:

The Giver
Clan of the Cave Bear
And a variety of poetry. Take your pick.
 #47 
Old 2005-08-08, 07:50
PaRaSHooT PaRaSHooT is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Fierce invalids home from hot climates - Tom Robbins. great literary style and gets really deep if you take the book for more than face value.

Man's search for meaning - Viktor E Frankl. how he and many others survived the holocaust mentally. great psychology read.
 #48 
Old 2005-08-09, 08:32
SurahAhriman SurahAhriman is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by LockeTM:

The Webster ? Nah, seriously, Schindler's list, by Thomas Keneally (?), and Five Rings.

Btw, would anyone here know who wrote the latter one? Or is it only known as 'that asian dude'?




Miyamoto Musashi, and I believe the proper name is The Book of Five Spheres.

Anna Karenina - Tolstoy
 #49 
Old 2005-08-10, 00:07
nagger420 nagger420 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

I see people saying that The Bible/Qu'ran/Torah is good. But I am going to say the Bhagavad Gita As It Is. It is originally like Hindu or something but the guy comments after every passage and uses references to all religions. It fits my philosophy better than the others.
 #50 
Old 2005-08-15, 01:30
Sentinel owl Sentinel owl is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Add the Dhammapada and take out the torah, as it is part of the bible. Also, specify the CATHOLIC bible, as it has seven more books. Book of mormon might be useful too. In addition, Old Man and the Sea. Classic, short, and beautiful.
 #51 
Old 2005-08-15, 01:37
RikkuSebraz RikkuSebraz is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

War and Peace? Hello? By that one guy I can't spell his name? Great book.
 #52 
Old 2005-08-15, 07:14
cheapandugly cheapandugly is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

tolstoy

edit:
war and peace isn't worth the time anyway

[This message has been edited by cheapandugly (edited 08-15-2005).]
 #53 
Old 2005-08-15, 09:48
AnaRCHY420 AnaRCHY420 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

A clockwork Orange
 #54 
Old 2005-08-15, 19:55
Eudaemonistic_SOB Eudaemonistic_SOB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by cheapandugly:
tolstoy...war and peace isn't worth the time anyway.


That's why it's not on the list.
 #55 
Old 2005-08-16, 03:57
stick person stick person is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

why read Flower's For Algernon? i've read that and got nothing out of it. what did u guys get out of it?

and siddartha? worst book ever.. no action
 #56 
Old 2005-08-16, 04:01
Moderator
 
Canada
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by stick person:
why read Flowers For Algernon? i've read that and got nothing out of it. what did u guys get out of it?

and siddartha? worst book ever.. no action



Read them again. Maybe you'll get something the second time around.

Edit: Flowers For Algernon has always struck me as a commentary on how troubling self-awareness can become.

Siddartha has many interesting themes, but you have to be interested, or have a basic understanding, of buddhism or hinduism.

[This message has been edited by Euda (edited 08-16-2005).]
 #57 
Old 2005-08-16, 06:02
stick person stick person is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

yea i got the same thing out of Flowers For Algernon but that's it, just that. like he sees how other people see him and feels like an ass, big deal. is it just sayin like be careful what u wish for too?
 #58 
Old 2005-08-16, 14:23
Moderator
 
Canada
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

I've always taken Flowers for Algernon as a warning to be aware of your environment; it seems to be a warning of walking through life unawares.

Many people aren't self-aware and this book has a tendency to make people re-examine their environment and relationships.

[This message has been edited by Euda (edited 08-16-2005).]
 #59 
Old 2005-08-17, 01:32
5150 5150 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

War and Peace, not worth the time, that is the most idiotic statement i,ve ever heard, i guess i shouldnt be surprised coming from a person who has to edit their replys the majority of time
 #60 
Old 2005-08-17, 04:05
cptn_spoon cptn_spoon is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

I'll include the ones I haven't seen listed so far. Your initial list seems pretty complete though Eudaemonistic.

Fiction:
Something Happened - Joseph Heller
God Knows - Joseph Heller
Endgame - Samuel Beckett script
Voss - Patrick White

Non-fiction:
A Short History Of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
Out of Darkness - Zoltan Torey
The War Diaries of Weary Dunlop - EE Dunlop
Papillon - Henri Charriere (not sure whether to classify this as fiction or not)
 #61 
Old 2005-08-17, 05:39
Regular
 
Canada
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Holy crap! That is one intimidating list right there. I've read a few on there but not much. I have no clue where to start.
 #62 
Old 2005-08-17, 17:41
legalaid legalaid is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Goners ru12, That made me appriciate good books.
 #63 
Old 2005-08-18, 04:35
crazygoatemonky crazygoatemonky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

two obscure ones, but my favorite books of all time: zod wallop by william browning spencer and the stars my destination by alfred bester
 #64 
Old 2005-08-20, 05:09
oops_i_od'd oops_i_od'd is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)



Thomas Paine's Common Sense and Rights of Man.
 #65 
Old 2005-08-20, 05:46
Count Kraigula Count Kraigula is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Some of my favorites:
Discworld series.
Paul Kidd. I've only read three of his books, the Greyhawk ones. Whisper of Wings, which I haven't read, had great reviews.
The Thran by J Robert King
The Fall of Reach and Firststrike by Eric Nylund
The Silmarillion
My favorite series from years ago, Animorphs, written by K A Applegate.
The Black Science by Dr Haha Lung and Christopher B Prowant
Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
 #66 
Old 2005-08-20, 20:12
Zombie Killer Zombie Killer is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

No one has posted Dante's The Divine Comedy and I most definatly recommend The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, even though im still working on the trillogy (even though there are 4 books).
 #67 
Old 2005-08-21, 03:30
Regular
 
Land of the Ires.
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by 5150:
War and Peace, not worth the time, that is the most idiotic statement i,ve ever heard, i guess i shouldnt be surprised coming from a person who has to edit their replys the majority of time


Depends on how much your time is worth.
And Euda takes time out to edit his replies, something you (others, including I) could learn from. Echewing capitalisation was doubtless daring and innovative 100 years ago, now it just looks sloppy.
One last question. Did you read W+P or are you just mouthing off?

And to Zombie Killer, which translation of Dante do you mean? Even in the original, I understand that due to it's age it's somewhat archaic. And it relies heavily upon medieval myth and ideas(for instance dante stumbles upon the actual entrance to hell, and hell is a very literal place filled with unchaste girls and atheists. Not what I want kids reading.
 #68 
Old 2005-08-21, 04:31
AirshipCaptain AirshipCaptain is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by Apathetic:

If you mean The Giver by Lois Lowry, then I have to disagree. I loved this book when I was 11 but it by no means a signifigant or even particularily good book. Although it is simple and short, it is a good read for younger people, younger being between the ages of 10-14.



yeah the giver blows if you're above about age 13.

I reccomend Flatland by Edwin A. Abbot, The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli, and Neuromancer (really anything) by William Gibson.

btw The Allegory of the Cave is all part and parcel of the republic (it's an allegory socrates uses in discussing virtue and philosophy) so you can remove it from the list.
 #69 
Old 2005-08-21, 05:43
Limecat Limecat is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

I havn't scrolled through all of the replies and I don't remember everything Euda posted, so I'll make a short list of my own.

The Autobiography of Malcolm X-
The Count of Monte Cristo - Dumas
Dune -Herbert
Kite Runner - Hosseini
The Grapes of Wrath - Stienbeck
The Red and The Black - Stendahl
A Tale of Two Cities - Dickens
For Whom the Bell Tolls - Hemingway
Lord of The Flies - Golding
Lord of The Rings - Tolkien
Harry Potter - Rowlings
Moby Dick
Beloved - Morrison
The Jungle- Sinclair
The Three Musketeers - Dumas
Great Expections- Dickens
 #70 
Old 2005-08-22, 04:18
Choscura Choscura is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

"nights master" and "faces under water" by tanith lee.

these are in an odd way what I would call 'midevil techno-thrillers'. if any of you were fans of thief series of games, all of lee's books have that same type of feel, especially the more recent ones- like faces under water.

they're unfortunately out of print, however.

next on the list are "von bek" and "hawkmoon", by michael moorcock. these are classic germanic high fantasy books- von bek in particular is very compelling with its portrayal of the devil and his followers.

anything by HP Lovecraft (how could you bastards not mention him?). I don't mention him out of merritt for the scariness of his stories: I mention him because his writing style is obviously that of someone who loves to write, and seeing as I value quality as I value very little else- these books are a must-read.
 #71 
Old 2005-08-22, 04:53
oops_i_od'd oops_i_od'd is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)


Dictionary!
 #72 
Old 2005-08-22, 17:50
Regular
 
Selden, NY
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Siddhartha
A Clockwork Orange
 #73 
Old 2005-08-24, 01:29
5150 5150 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Issue313

is an hour a day too much time for someone to read a book of such intellectual depth?
as long as my thoughts are conveyed lucidly i am indifferent to syntax and other conformities of the written word
yes i,ve read "war and peace" along with thousands of other books
and i don,t see why people would bother editing their replies on the net, it is not a dissertation or precedential case law
 #74 
Old 2005-08-24, 14:49
Cruzader Cruzader is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

The most conducive books to humanity are the great philosophical works � Plato, Nietzsche, Schopenhauer & Rousseau write in brilliant prose too and can be considered great works of literature in their own right.
 #75 
Old 2005-08-25, 05:08
GordonFreemen GordonFreemen is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

anything by Garcia Marquez (Rabassa and Grossman both do/did great translations)
 #76 
Old 2005-08-25, 08:25
Regular
 
the Vinland
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)


  • Chronicles of Narnia
  • Lord of the Rings trilogy
  • Hobbit
  • Siddhartha
  • Saga of the Volsungs
  • Beowulf
  • Iliad
  • Odyssey
  • The Once and Future King
  • Tao te Ching
  • Thus Spake Zarathustra
  • The Art of War
  • Book of Five Rings
  • Revolt Against The Modern World
  • Ride The Tiger
 #77 
Old 2005-08-25, 11:36
Paradise Lost Paradise Lost is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Here comes my list -

The Illiad
The Odyssey
Animal Farm
The Great Gatsby
The Catcher In The Rye
1984
Brave New World
Lord Of The Rings (trilogy)
The Hobbit
The Republic
The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy, and Mathematics
Paradise Lost ( )
A Tale Of Two Cities
Pride and Prejudice
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
The Allegory of the Cave
The Complete Works of Shakespear
The Call of Cthulhu
Fight Club
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Twilight of The Idols (anything by Nietzsche)
*all of Dickinson*
*all of Poe*
*all of Tennyson*
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Moby Dick
The Art of War
Communist Manifesto
Gulliver's Travels
The Time Machine
Aesop's Fables
The Redwall Saga
*anything by Issac Asimov*
*anything by Hawking*
*anything by H.P. Lovecraft*
On Liberty
The Wit of Oscar Wilde
Dante's Inferno
The Grapes of Wrath
Lord of The Flies
The Moral Animal
The Giver
Great Expectations

[This message has been edited by Paradise Lost (edited 08-25-2005).]
 #78 
Old 2005-08-28, 00:57
Regular
 
Land of the Ires.
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by 5150:
Issue313

[B][QUOTE]
is an hour a day too much time for someone to read a book of such intellectual depth?



Well that's a thread alll in itself.

quote:
as long as my thoughts are conveyed lucidly i am indifferent to syntax and other conformities of the written word.



Well naturally. I never edit replies for spelling.
quote:
yes i,ve read "war and peace" along with thousands of other books


[/b]
Thousands??? Amazing if true.

quote:
and i don,t see why people would bother editing their replies on the net, it is not a dissertation or precedential case law



To make an additional point or clarify an old one, occasionally to answer a question and advoid making a new post.


EDIT: Why isn't Njal's Saga required reading??
Okay Ill add it.
1. Njals Saga.

[This message has been edited by Issue313 (edited 08-28-2005).]
 #79 
Old 2005-08-30, 05:47
oops_i_od'd oops_i_od'd is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)


BUSTED: Stone Cowboys, Narco-Lords & Washington's War on Drugs
Edited By Mike Gray, Writers: Oliver Stone, Charles Bowden, Rowena Young, Maurice Frank, Keith Stroup, Alexandra Eyle, Maia Szalavitz, Adam Smith, Mathew Brzezinski, Jack Hitt, Phillippe Bourgois, Dave Kopel, Graham Boyd, Kurt Schmoke, Craig Reinarman, Russ Baker, Christopher Hitchens, Milton Friedman, Ethan Nadelmann, William F. Buckley Jr., P.J. O'Rourke, Joe McNamara, A.M. Rosenthal, Barry McCaffrey...(and more)

The book is collection of writings from a shitload of people -just look at the list- who in their own detailed way critique the war on drugs. Considered by some to be the Anti-prohibitionist's bible, if you will.

If you're pro-drug war after reading this book you're a retard.
 #80 
Old 2005-09-03, 21:44
Moderator
 
My mind.
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Atlas Shrugged
East of Eden
Grapes of Wrath
1984
Brave New World
Count of Monte Cristo
The Fountainhead
As I Lay Dying
A Separate Peace (I hated it, but it still has a good message)
Walden
Naked Lunch
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Alicia: My Story
Last of the Mohicans
To Kill a Mockingbird
Animal Farm

The Bible

I'm by no means Christian, or religious in any way, for that matter, but the Bible has some sweet messages, not to mention badass stories. You don't have to believe it, but if you take it as a work of fiction, its an awesome book.
 #81 
Old 2005-09-04, 19:00
Dedraic Dedraic is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

I find it disappointing that James Jones' "From Here to Eternity" has not been mentioned. I read the book my sophmore year, and still some of the messages from it astound me and I still have an almost unhealthy fixation with re-reading the pieces of the book containing Jack Malloy.
 #82 
Old 2005-09-06, 19:06
The_Real_Slacker The_Real_Slacker is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Although not a book, I would recommend Titus Andronicus, a play by the big Willie Shakespeare. I don't know why I'm drawn to this play, but it is certainly not short on action. With all the revenge and plotting done by the characters, it shows awesome character development. Certainly not for the faint of heart though.
 #83 
Old 2005-09-07, 05:09
HP_OfficeJet HP_OfficeJet is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman
Thought it was a great book, but starting to wonder if perhaps "Neil Gaiman" is a bad word on this board. I never see anything on his books. I like American Gods and especially Good Omens too.

The Elegant Universe /
The Fabric of the Cosmos - Brian Greene
I found these to be great book on modern physics. He does a really great job of putting everything in layman terms. If you like these or are interested in other books then stephen hawking has some great stuff out too.

The Exorcist - William Peter Blatty
Not my favorite because of prose or story or anything like that, but because it really helped me understand just how difficult it is to determine and define an "exorcism" in this day and age. Even in the book it's not clear if it is a for real exorcism up to the end.
 #84 
Old 2005-09-07, 12:40
Tarnak Tarnak is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

The criteria for books to be on the list should not be "what's a good read" but "what could really make you look at the world differently."

I don't think Tolkien, Redwall, most of Shakespeare, and a few others should be on there.
 #85 
Old 2005-09-07, 18:43
Moderator
 
Canada
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by Tarnak:
The criteria for books to be on the list should not be "what's a good read" but "what could really make you look at the world differently."


Books are only books when you boil it all down. Books don't change people, people change themselves.

What may seem like life altering concepts to one person may seem like common sense, or even completely ludicrous, to another.

Edit: Oh, and there is no definitive set of criteria.

[This message has been edited by Euda (edited 09-07-2005).]
 #86 
Old 2005-09-07, 19:11
NinjaStile NinjaStile is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

mein kampf by my old pal adolf
 #87 
Old 2005-09-08, 13:03
DorianHawkmoon DorianHawkmoon is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

First off, i agree that calling dracula a boring book is a waste of time, that's just opinion.Say you found it boring.

Btw, if any of these have been mentioned take that as a vote for this book in some form of ultimate list.

-Demian (herman hesse)
-fear and loathing in las vegas (thompson)
-1984
-Edgar Allan poe, either poetry or stories, preferably both.
-The ORIGINAL dune series (Frank Herbert)
-thus spake zarathustra (friedrich nietszche)
-H.P. Lovecraft
-At least some shakespeare
-Waiting for godot (Beckett)
-LOTR (tolkien)
-Steppenwolf (herman hesse)
-Alice's Adventures in wonderland/through the looking glass (carroll)
-Frankenstein (shelley)
-American psycho (easton ellis)...

that last one's optional for those who can stomach it.
 #88 
Old 2005-09-14, 02:21
Therin_the_Hand Therin_the_Hand is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by Count Kraigula:
The Fall of Reach and Firststrike by Eric Nylund



for being based off of halo, those were suprisingly good
 #89 
Old 2005-09-19, 01:27
Doobie Ex Doobie Ex is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

The Tao of Pooh
The Te of Piglet

;-p Also

The Story of Philosophy
 #90 
Old 2005-09-27, 19:47
Moderator
 
Canada
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

"I hate vulgar realism in literature. The man who could call a spade a spade should be compelled to use one. It is the only thing he is fit for."
-Wilde

Or bump, if you prefer.
 #91 
Old 2005-09-28, 01:13
deptstoremook deptstoremook is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Mook's List (prepare to be shocked and awed):


  1. Ulysses by James Joyce
    Probably everybody on this forum has heard one of my rants on how amazing and profound this book is--it's easily my favorite of all time, and this is mostly due to the fact that it's probably the most complex book ever written. I am a reader who likes being challenged by the books that he reads, and Ulysses is, to me, the ultimate literary challenge--I know it is a real possibility that I may never fully understand it, and that is why I like it so much.
  2. The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
    A lot of people view this as a "required HS reading" book and dismiss it at that. I cannot protest against this view more vehemently; Holden Caulfield is one of the most identifiable characters, and probably one of the greatest modern heroes, in literature. Catcher in the Rye is one of the few books that has brought me to tears, though as of my 2nd reading I still can't pinpoint exactly why. Third is the charm, as they say.
  3. As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
    Faulkner has a way of making the characters' situations at the end of the story so FUBAR you're left with your mouth gaping. This is no exception. As I Lay Dying is probably the most emotionally developed novel I have ever read--this is made even more impressive by its length; for instance, the character Jewel only has one passage, but it is instantly clear in 3 pages exactly what his emotions are on the plot, no questions asked.
  4. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
    I am a teacher's aide for our school's AP Literature teacher; this year she told me her class wouldn't be reading Heart of Darkness because too many kids complained that it was "too long." This just goes to show high school kids are morons. In the first place, Conrad has the most beautiful prose of almost any author, in my opinion. Second, this is one of the most nuanced and abstract novels that I have ever read--like I said above, I love challenge, and Conrad packing a highly developed theme into some 90 pages, almost completely through descriptive narrative, is a challenge.
  5. ...


More later.


quote:
Originally posted by Tarnak:
I don't think Tolkien, Redwall, most of Shakespeare, and a few others should be on there.



If you don't feel Shakespeare belongs on this list, you obviously have never read Hamlet.
 #92 
Old 2005-09-29, 15:11
Doobie Ex Doobie Ex is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Reflection on The Revolution in France - Edmund Burke
 #93 
Old 2005-09-29, 19:56
Moderator
 
Canada
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

The books on Taoism sound interesting Doobie Ex. The use of classic characters to explain complex concepts is interesting.
 #94 
Old 2005-10-01, 23:30
Faithless Faithless is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

If you're a Westerner:

The Bible.

The collected works of William Shakespeare.

The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire - Gibbon.

The Illiad and Odyssey.

The rest I feel is optional according to preferences. For example while 1984 contains powerful ideas nearly a third of it is a monologue on Ing Soc.
 #95 
Old 2005-10-03, 02:14
Regular
 
Omaha NE USA
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

i think this should be added:
The Picture Of Dorian Grey

as i recall it was a great book.
 #96 
Old 2005-10-09, 18:18
gipowmiakia gipowmiakia is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Adding to the list:

One Hundred Years of Solitude--Garcia Marquez
Fictions--J.L Borges
 #97 
Old 2005-10-10, 02:14
Smokeyb Smokeyb is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

i was wondering... where would a place be to get the book 1984 on cassete i am going on a road trip come christmas and i wanted to listen to it
 #98 
Old 2005-10-10, 17:05
activepsycho activepsycho is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Machiavelli's The Prince.-as it happens, I myself have not yet read this, but I've read bits and I will read it in it's entirety before I lay me down in permanence.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey, absolutely wonderful book. Very good example of the kind of psychological abuse that can be found in psych wards.

Politics by Plato. Most of the ancient Greco-roman literature should be required reading for any Westerner.

Basically, all of the major religious texts of the world. It's foolish to put all of one's faith in one idea, when one is wholly ignorant of the possibilities.
 #99 
Old 2005-10-10, 17:54
Moderator
 
Canada
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by Smokeyb:
i was wondering... where would a place be to get the book 1984 on cassete i am going on a road trip come christmas and i wanted to listen to it


Here's a link to an audiobook cassette of Nineteen Eighty-Four: http://doiop.com/rg9jb8
 #100 
Old 2005-10-11, 12:38
Smokeyb Smokeyb is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

thanks
 #101 
Old 2005-10-14, 15:34
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

The fucking magician series by Raymond E Feist! The most entertaining and oft-read series of books in my (if i do say so myself) rather impressive library.

Edit: Woot page 3!



[This message has been edited by Garrett (edited 10-14-2005).]
 #102 
Old 2005-10-18, 02:16
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

I'm gonna write these down before I forget them, and then read the rest of the posts...

Anything by heinlen, especially starship tropers
Everything by Steven Brust, especially agyar
Gods Debris, by the same guy who did the dilbert cartoons.

By the way, I have heard of "steal this book", but never read it. can somone tell me what it is before I liberate a copy?
 #103 
Old 2005-10-18, 02:30
Moderator
 
Canada
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by Duck:
By the way, I have heard of "steal this book", but never read it. can somone tell me what it is before I liberate a copy?

http://www.eriswerks.org/steal.html
 #104 
Old 2005-10-18, 02:40
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Thank you.

Also, I don't think I've seen edgar allen poe on the list. he struck me as the preincarnation of Hunter S. Thompson.
 #105 
Old 2005-10-18, 02:43
Paradise Lost Paradise Lost is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by Duck:
Also, I don't think I've seen edgar allen poe on the list. he struck me as the preincarnation of Hunter S. Thompson.


I don't see that at all, explain?

Oh and I did include him.

[This message has been edited by Paradise Lost (edited 10-18-2005).]
 #106 
Old 2005-10-18, 03:43
Moderator
 
Canada
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by Paradise Lost:
I don't see that at all, explain?


I don't see the connection either.

And of course Poe is on the list, you should look more carefully.
 #107 
Old 2005-10-18, 04:14
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

I probabily need to read more of both of their stuff. I got a clear message that addiction ruins your life from both of them, From Thompson's fear and loathing in las vegas, and Poe's drunkin lifestyle and depressed poetry. Their styles were completely different though.

I'll try again tomorrow, been far to long sense I've read either of their stuff.
 #108 
Old 2005-10-21, 21:23
Moderator
 
Fairfax, Virginia, America
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Anything by Terry Pratchett.

Intellectually-based abstract comedy with several complex social themes.
 #109 
Old 2005-10-22, 05:53
TJTay89 TJTay89 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Anyone that liked the original Star Wars trilogy, should read The Han Solo Trilogy by A.C. Crispin.

"Braindroppins", "Napalm & Silly Putty", and "When Will Jesus Bring the Porkchops?" by George Carlin I think also deserves a read through.

[This message has been edited by TJTay89 (edited 10-22-2005).]
 #110 
Old 2005-11-20, 06:04
Moderator
 
Canada
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

The eternal silence of these infinite spaces fills me with dread. - Blaise Pascal
 #111 
Old 2005-11-28, 01:49
seekr seekr is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Anything by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
 #112 
Old 2005-12-06, 16:02
Spungo Spungo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

The Declaration of Independence and Other Great Documents of American History: 1775-1865 - Edited by John Grafton
On Liberty - John Stuart Mill
The Communist Manifesto - Karl Marx
Socialism: An Economic and Sociological Analysis - Ludwig Von Mises
A History of Western Philosophy - Bertrand Russell
Last and First Men, The Star Maker - Olaf Stapledon
A Short History of the World - J.M. Roberts
Meditations - Marcus Aurelius
Ethics - Aristotle
The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
 #113 
Old 2005-12-07, 22:32
crazed_hamster crazed_hamster is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

The Life of Dorian Gray.

I enjoyed it muchly.
 #114 
Old 2005-12-08, 00:21
Moderator
 
My mind.
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance-Robert M. Pirsig

This book kicks ass.
 #115 
Old 2005-12-09, 04:01
Smokeyb Smokeyb is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

the band "caroline's spine"'s lyrics book
 #116 
Old 2006-01-20, 03:55
Moderator
 
Canada
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

I'm glad this wasn't lost.
 #117 
Old 2006-01-27, 22:23
jimbob11 jimbob11 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

If you like A Song of Ice and Fire, you'll most likely enjoy Malazan Book of the Fallen - my favourite series.
 #118 
Old 2006-02-03, 18:48
kenton kenton is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

The Giver is a cheap version of 1984. It also has a bad ending.
 #119 
Old 2006-02-03, 19:22
Garfunkel Garfunkel is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by crazed_hamster:
The Life of Dorian Gray.

I enjoyed it muchly.



do you mean the Picture of Dorian Grey, or is this another, unrelated book?

I'm not srue if its been mentioned yet, but I just finished reading it and I'd have to say Shantaram, by Gregory David Roberts. It is by and far one of the best books I've ever read, and it's a true story. I loved it so much. The man's a fucking genius with words.

Yah, so, read it. It really is that good.
 #120 
Old 2006-02-12, 11:01
Vampire_Hunter Vampire_Hunter is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

My list:
I am Legend by Richard Matheson
Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin
The Time Machine by H.G. Wells
The Andromeda Strain by Michael Chichton
(infact most books by Michton should be up there, but not all)
 #121 
Old 2006-02-12, 12:23
Fai1safe Fai1safe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Anything by David Gemmell.
Anything by Raymond E. Fiest.
Farseer Saga by Robin Hobb. (she was good untill she started using magic and dragons.)
Mossflower Series by Brian Jaques.
Warrior by Donald E. Mcqinn.
Anvil of the Stars by Greg Bear. (i think)
Split Infinity by Piers Anthony.
Emprise Series by Michael P. Kube.
Foundation Series by Issac Asimov.
Enders Games by Orson Scott Card.

[This message has been edited by Fai1safe (edited 03-07-2006).]
 #122 
Old 2006-03-02, 06:13
Regular
 
Canada
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
 #123 
Old 2006-03-06, 23:29
Patrick Bateman Patrick Bateman is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

Fai1safe, Ender's Game was by Orson Scott Card, and yes, it does belong on the list. As well as A Breif History of Time, by Stephen Hawking. The Godfather, Mario Puzo (not sure if this one has been posted), and I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell, by Tucker Max.

[This message has been edited by Patrick Bateman (edited 03-07-2006).]
 #124 
Old 2006-03-06, 23:51
Moderator
 
Canada
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by Garfunkel:
I'm not srue if its been mentioned yet, but I just finished reading it and I'd have to say Shantaram, by Gregory David Roberts.


It sounds interesting, I'm going to check it out.
 #125 
Old 2006-03-07, 00:47
Jackel003 Jackel003 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

The Man In The High Castle - Philip K. Dick

"1962 alternate history novel by science fiction writer Philip K. Dick. The novel is set in the United States, 15 years after the Axis Powers defeated the Allies in World War II and the U.S. submitted to German and Japanese military occupation."
 #126 
Old 2006-03-07, 01:30
Regular
 
Land of the Ires.
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

I'm a little scared to see all the stuff that's now "required reading".

I guess I'll have to stop being a human now, huh?
 #127 
Old 2006-03-07, 07:18
Fai1safe Fai1safe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Bateman:
Fai1safe, Ender's Game was by Orson Scott Card, and yes, it does belong on the list. As well as A Breif History of Time, by Stephen Hawking. The Godfather, Mario Puzo (not sure if this one has been posted), and I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell, by Tucker Max.




Thats it thanks. I read it about 2 years ago and couldnt remember.
 #128 
Old 2006-03-07, 19:43
floyd the barber floyd the barber is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

William Blake- Songs of Innocence and Experience

Oh, and Albert Camus' L'Etranger- I can't believe that isn't on the list yet! Unless it is, in which case I apologise

Another edit- too many great books! Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf.

[This message has been edited by floyd the barber (edited 03-07-2006).]
 #129 
Old 2006-03-19, 19:32
Moderator
 
Canada
Default Re: Required Reading for Humans (Second Edition)

To find the universal elements enough; to find the air and the water exhilarating; to be refreshed by a morning walk or an evening saunter... to be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in spring - these are some of the rewards of the simple life.
- John Burroughs

Or Bump if you prefer.

[This message has been edited by Euda (edited 03-19-2006).]
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics