About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Travellers Travails
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Travellers Travails Travel tips, places to go, things to do.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2006-03-15, 06:44
Junyi Junyi is offline
Regular
 
Default Backpacking around the world

Well, me and 2 friends of mine are planing on backpacking around Europe, Australia, New Zealand and most of Asia (maybe the Americas 2), starting at Portugal or England, at March of the next year. So, like, even if you guys say it's crazy, we are still going to do it, it's ours dream, and I just wanted to ask for some advice, on how to prepare for it, what to look out on each country, etc. We will have almost an year, so anything you guys can help with (even a house to stay =P) I'll be very thankful.
 #2 
Old 2006-03-15, 08:01
xiggi xiggi is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Backpacking around the world

virtualtourist.com has a lot of info, but im guessing you've heard of it.

 #3 
Old 2006-03-15, 08:13
Junyi Junyi is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Backpacking around the world

Thanks xiggi, I had not heard of that one before, so I'll look at it carefuly, there are good informations about the countries. Now I'd like more help on the backpacking area itself. With a short one I have no problems, but a long one, I don't know how to prepare. Anyone that already did backpacking can give me tips?
 #4 
Old 2006-03-15, 09:04
Fat Penis Fat Penis is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Backpacking around the world

buy travelers checks.
 #5 
Old 2006-03-15, 12:09
Moderator
 
Belgium
Default Re: Backpacking around the world

How are you planning to fund this? I imagine it must cost a pretty dime...?
 #6 
Old 2006-03-15, 17:49
Faithless Faithless is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Backpacking around the world

Have a plan.

What do you want to see?
What do you want to do?
What's your budget?

Etc.
 #7 
Old 2006-03-15, 19:58
Junyi Junyi is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Backpacking around the world

I have been saving money for some time now, which lives me alone with only 2000 dollars =/

Mine other 2 friends have more money than me, though I don't know how much, and I'll be working for a year come still to raise more funds. The money is to be used only there, equipment I already have.

Even if it end up not being exactly enough, we will go anyway, as far as we can.

I want to know what every country has to offer, as in visual sites, culture, music, and also do some skiing, hiicking, and other sports. I don't mind checking restaurants or hotels, I'll try to make this as possible to a survival thing as I can, and I expect to use the money only when I REALLY need.

You guys thing it is too much crazy?
 #8 
Old 2006-03-15, 21:38
Moderator
 
Belgium
Default Re: Backpacking around the world

If you plan on doing all that stuff and staying away for a year. You're at least gonna need 15000 dollars :s. And I hate do disappoint you, but it's close to impossible to save that kinda money in a year. Well at least in Belgium it is.
 #9 
Old 2006-03-16, 03:15
Junyi Junyi is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Backpacking around the world

lol, read my first post, right. "even if you think this is crazy, we are still going to do it". I'm stuborn, you see, but do not have experience, so I wanted advice. Back to question, anyone that have ever done backpacking here can give me some tips?
 #10 
Old 2006-03-16, 08:13
Moderator
 
Belgium
Default Re: Backpacking around the world

One golden pointer. Pack as light as you can!
 #11 
Old 2006-03-16, 09:06
Junyi Junyi is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Backpacking around the world

lol, I'll keep that in mind =P
 #12 
Old 2006-03-16, 14:47
Faithless Faithless is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Backpacking around the world

Travel light but still carry plenty of socks, t-shirts and underwear.

Everything else you can buy when needed.
 #13 
Old 2006-03-16, 16:59
Moderator
 
Belgium
Default Re: Backpacking around the world

Ooh, yeah, socks...Dry Socks will probably be your most prized posesion. And good shoes
 #14 
Old 2006-03-16, 18:06
constant_surveillance constant_surveillance is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Backpacking around the world

one fuckin word.

machete.

 #15 
Old 2006-03-16, 18:15
Moderator
 
Belgium
Default Re: Backpacking around the world

quote:
Originally posted by constant_surveillance:
one fuckin word.

machete.




riiiight. I'd like to see him getting on an airplane with that.
 #16 
Old 2006-03-16, 23:01
Junyi Junyi is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Backpacking around the world

hmm... dunno, but always though that if we leave weapons and such in the bag (not the one that stays with us), they let us in. One time I bought this native american spear style, and my father though they would not let us in, but they did, because it was in the bags area in the airplane.

And the shoes are a reeeeal must. Houses for a one night stay would be nice 2 =D.

Ok, so, I'm planing on make a journal during the travel, and post somewhere (maybe here in totse) every time I'm leaving a country. So, I'll only do this if there are enough people interested, of course. What you guys think?
 #17 
Old 2006-03-17, 01:31
SomethingSimple SomethingSimple is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Backpacking around the world

If nothing is happening with me, I am up for it.
 #18 
Old 2006-03-17, 01:34
SomethingSimple SomethingSimple is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Backpacking around the world

Oh, another idea.

Get a Merchant Marnier's Card from your country.
Might help with the travel.
 #19 
Old 2006-03-17, 02:34
Junyi Junyi is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Backpacking around the world

excuse me but, what is a marnier? Or you mean, mariner? I'm confused =/
 #20 
Old 2006-03-17, 05:38
Moderator
 
Belgium
Default Re: Backpacking around the world

quote:
Originally posted by Junyi:


Ok, so, I'm planing on make a journal during the travel, and post somewhere (maybe here in totse) every time I'm leaving a country. So, I'll only do this if there are enough people interested, of course. What you guys think?



Ooh, yeah, that would be nice. Make sure though that you do it in this forum, where it gets the credit that it earns.
 #21 
Old 2006-03-17, 23:14
Cyberwaste Cyberwaste is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Backpacking around the world

I got two words for you my friend: American Express

Live like a king for the first two months

[This message has been edited by Cyberwaste (edited 03-17-2006).]
 #22 
Old 2006-03-17, 23:29
Junyi Junyi is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Backpacking around the world

How the american express work? I don't know if I can get it here in Brazil. And ok I'll post a journey here, every time I'm about to go from one country to another, I'll post like "Byelarus-Russia" in the thread title, post pics and write interesting parts of my journal, and say which will be the country after the one I'm going now. But there is still one year until the travel, so, let's wait
 #23 
Old 2006-03-18, 00:47
Cyberwaste Cyberwaste is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Backpacking around the world

quote:
Originally posted by Junyi:
How the american express work? I don't know if I can get it here in Brazil.


Walk up to a AE counter and fill out a form ( in airport or somewhere)
In that form you lie about your income and your status (for example income 10000-20000$ a month and write that you�re a CEO of some smaller company)
then choose the credit limit to something like 20000 a month
The thing is that they only check that the company is real and that your name and adress matches.
Then just wait for your application to be verified and you�ll get the card.


It will work. This guy i know just did this a year ago and spent the money on jewellery, electronics and such.
Ofcourse, if you don�t want to get in troubles you shouldn�t do it.



[This message has been edited by Cyberwaste (edited 03-18-2006).]
 #24 
Old 2006-03-18, 08:03
Moderator
 
Belgium
Default Re: Backpacking around the world

quote:
Originally posted by Cyberwaste:

Ofcourse, if you don�t want to get in troubles you shouldn�t do it.



So, don't do it, it won't get you in a bit of trouble. It'll get you into alot of trouble!
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics