About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Travellers Travails
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Travellers Travails Travel tips, places to go, things to do.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2006-03-03, 04:23
MomentaryLapseOfReason MomentaryLapseOfReason is offline
Regular
 
Default Anybody familiar with downtown Chicago?

Okay, I'm taking the Blue Line from O'Hare to Jackson St., and I need to find the best way to get to the Van Buren St. Metra station from there. I'm trying to figure out these damn CTA maps, but they're pissing me off.
 #2 
Old 2006-03-06, 10:00
cosmo cosmo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Anybody familiar with downtown Chicago?

I would tell you but for all I know you're going to an Aryan Brotherhood convention or something.
 #3 
Old 2006-03-09, 20:58
Charno Charno is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Anybody familiar with downtown Chicago?

quote:
Originally posted by MomentaryLapseOfReason:
Okay, I'm taking the Blue Line from O'Hare to Jackson St., and I need to find the best way to get to the Van Buren St. Metra station from there. I'm trying to figure out these damn CTA maps, but they're pissing me off.


Hey, I live in the Loop. All the streets are nicely numbered and in a neat grid (with every street going due East / West or North / South). As long as you get your cardinal directions right, you're in excellent shape.

Get off at Jackson then walk straight East on Jackson to Michigan Ave (its not far, only 4 blocks or something like that). When you reach Michigan, look to your right (South) and you'll see it. The station is below street level, there's an entrance down in to the tunnel on Michigan Avenue. Can't miss it. Hope you enjoy the city.

[This message has been edited by Charno (edited 03-09-2006).]
 #4 
Old 2006-03-10, 07:02
Regular
 
Default Re: Anybody familiar with downtown Chicago?

I live in Chicago too...it's the easiest city I know of as far as navigation. It's on a grid, just know the cross-streets and you pretty much will just have to go in straight lines.

Van Buren...I believe that's 400 S (double check that). If so, just get off at Jackson, walk over to Van Buren, and take a bus till you get to your east-west destination.
 #5 
Old 2006-03-10, 15:36
Dre Crabbe Dre Crabbe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Anybody familiar with downtown Chicago?

The main things I remember of Chicago are:

1. The street numbering, it's different then the numbering in Europe. I kept taking wrong turns.

2. Gino's pizza place. Everyone in Indiana kept telling me that I should go and eat there, it was supposed to be the "best pizza in the world." What a load of crap. You have to wait an hour in a line to sit in a dirty chair with writings all over it and wait for a "deep dish" pizza, which is way too fat, gives you diarrhea and it's so huge you can't possibly finish it on your own.

You didn't ask for this, but meh, it popped into my head.
 #6 
Old 2006-03-16, 06:38
Regular
 
Default Re: Anybody familiar with downtown Chicago?

quote:
Originally posted by Dre Crabbe:
The main things I remember of Chicago are:

1. The street numbering, it's different then the numbering in Europe. I kept taking wrong turns.

2. Gino's pizza place. Everyone in Indiana kept telling me that I should go and eat there, it was supposed to be the "best pizza in the world." What a load of crap. You have to wait an hour in a line to sit in a dirty chair with writings all over it and wait for a "deep dish" pizza, which is way too fat, gives you diarrhea and it's so huge you can't possibly finish it on your own.

You didn't ask for this, but meh, it popped into my head.



Street numbering is awesome until you get on the North side. On the south side you have numbered streets going north and south, and you have named streets going east and west. All streets technically have numbers of course, but...ie. 3500S=35th street. On the north side they all have names, so you have to just learn how far north/south, east/west the streets are.

And, I only recall the streets of Paris in Europe, and dear Jesus...so fucking hard to navigate. It's a pretty compact city, so it's easy to orient yourself, but fidning specific streets away from the popular monument areas is a pain in the ass.
 #7 
Old 2006-03-18, 20:16
MomentaryLapseOfReason MomentaryLapseOfReason is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Anybody familiar with downtown Chicago?

You guys are awesome. Thanks!
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics