About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Reinvent Yourself
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reinvent Yourself Self improvement through body modification, diet, physical and mental exercise, body-building, surgery, chemical introduction, life extension, and smart drugs. Medicine, and other body related topics also belong here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-16, 22:38
Chimera Chimera is offline
Regular
 
Default quitting smoking

im working on quitting smoking and am going to switch to lighter cigarettes. i just dont understand what the difference will b. is there less tar and nicotine, and if so, how is that so when they use the same amount of tobacco?
 #2 
Old 2002-12-16, 22:45
ebeneezer goode ebeneezer goode is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: quitting smoking

if you look on the lighter cigs jsut above the filter there is usually a tiny row of holes which let more air in with the smoke. thats why they feel weaker.
also i think the tar is a little less.
still the same old shite ending up in your lungs though, some day i'm going to do the hypnotism thing, from what ive heard, that is the best method for quitting
 #3 
Old 2002-12-17, 11:29
modega modega is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: quitting smoking

What you need to do to quit smoking is cut back little by little.

For example, instead of smoking the entire cigarette smoke 3/4 of it. Keep smoking 75% of the cigarette for the next 2 weeks or so. Then cut back to 1/2. Smoke 50% of the cigarette for about 3 weeks. Then 1/4 or 25% of the cigarette for about a month. The cut back from there.

A friend of mine is doing this technique and it works pretty well.
 #4 
Old 2002-12-17, 14:09
rockfan_24 rockfan_24 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: quitting smoking


i agree with /\
/ \
/ \
/ \
I
I
I
I
I
I
 #5 
Old 2002-12-17, 20:04
Affect Affect is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: quitting smoking

There is no less tar and/or nicotine in Light cigarettes. It's only the flavor.

They are now printing this on Light cigarettes.
 #6 
Old 2002-12-17, 21:38
frontalobe frontalobe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: quitting smoking

i've just quit smoking. What has been said so far is right, just cut down to start with but at the same time think to yourself 'why is it bad/unhealthy?' this will soon change your perceptions of smoking and you will (as i have) see it as an absolutly pointless activiy.
---------------------------------------------
No breaking of a habit was achieved without deep thought.
 #7 
Old 2002-12-18, 04:54
SKD SKD is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: quitting smoking

im on my way towards quitting smoking

for me, i cant speak for every person, the way to actually quit was just cold turkey. none of this switching to lighter cigarettes business, cos that just keeps reinforcing the psychological habit in your head

basically, there are a couple of types of addiction. chemical, which is to the nicotine, and psychological, which is the habit thing. im mainly psychological, i need something to do with my hands while i wait for hte train or something.

with lighter cigarettes, they have less nicotine and less tar. tar gives you cancer. nicotine keeps you addicted. its not good for you either, but tar is what fucks oyu over. the carbon monoxide content in a cigarette is less in a lighter cigarette. carbon monoxide makes it harder to transfer oxygen around the body. thats why you sometimes get headspins when you have your first cigarette in a couple of days. your body isnt getting enough oxygen

good luck. im on a deal with a friend. i pay him 70 bucks if i smoke again. i sure as hell aint paying 70 bucks for another cigarette
 #8 
Old 2002-12-18, 06:10
Regular
 
Antipodes
Default Re: quitting smoking

Out of curiosity, who here does smoke?
 #9 
Old 2002-12-18, 12:14
Renegade Renegade is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: quitting smoking

I smoke - this new year i am giving up full stop. Its been proven if you gradually quit and cut down it wont work you will hit a stressfull day and you will need a few more smokes. So quit full stop - and when you have quit find a new hobby and then it will be better and you will feel better.

Im picking up the guitar instead of smoking.

Peace Renegade,
 #10 
Old 2002-12-23, 21:50
ytrewq ytrewq is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: quitting smoking

I remember reading somewhere about a study done on light cigarettes. I believe they found that the effects where pretty much the same. The stronger filter made it harder to get the good stuff out of the cigarette. As a result, the people who smoked the light cigarettes sucked longer and harder until they were getting an equivalent amount of the "good stuff" as the regular brand smokers. Don't quote me on any of this though. My brain has a tendency to "remember" things that never really happened.

I, myself, smoke. I did try quitting once before and failed. I lasted 10 days quitting cold turkey. It was hell for 3 days. After that time passes, most of the physical addiction is gone. You then only have to deal with the mental stuff.

I personally believe that cutting back slowly only reinforces you perceived need for cigarettes. You're constantly extending your withdrawl period from nicotene. As any smoker knows, the longer you go without a cigarette the better that cigarette is. You're basically making the cigarettes more and more precious to you by "cutting back."

Different methods work better for different people though. Try one, and if you fail you can always try another. Cold turkey, cutting back, patches, gum, whatever. No bullshit though, it is probably the single hardest thing you will ever do in your life.
 #11 
Old 2002-12-23, 23:28
Kia Kordestani Kia Kordestani is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: quitting smoking

I quit smoking on Friday of last week. So far so good.
 #12 
Old 2002-12-26, 16:07
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: quitting smoking

Get the patch.
 #13 
Old 2002-12-26, 20:42
Alykorn Alykorn is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: quitting smoking

only quit smoking cuz YOU want to quit. I made the mistake of making a deal with my husband to quit and I stuck with it for a year and a half until he pissed me off, then i started back up again. I smoke to keep me from killing ppl, so i don't need to quit right now.
As for an easier route, smoke your last cig in your pack before you go to bed, sleep at least 10 hours and then wake and stay busy for about 3 days. after the third day the urges to smoke tapered off. Gid rid off all ash trays and lighters, out of sight out of mind.

good luck!
 #14 
Old 2002-12-27, 03:59
yoyotojo yoyotojo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: quitting smoking

I've heard keeping dum-dums or chupa-chups around helps as they take as long as a cigarette to finish, so if other people are smoking you can just have one of those and kill your time. just a tip.
 #15 
Old 2003-01-05, 23:13
Pyro Phreak Pyro Phreak is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: quitting smoking

I quit by cutting back. I usually smoked about 15 cigarettes a day.
Then I cut back to like around 10 a day for about a week then went to around 5 a day for awhile and kept cutting back until I quit. I also quit with a friend, which helped alot. And avoided places and situations where I liked to smoke.
 #16 
Old 2003-01-05, 23:39
Regular
 
Redding, CA
Default Re: quitting smoking

Just get the patch. It's the best alternative, haven't tried them though.
 #17 
Old 2003-01-06, 17:51
2likestuff 2likestuff is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: quitting smoking

I quit by cutting back, now cigarettes are disgusting to me, its really weird they actually make me feel kinda sick now.
 #18 
Old 2003-01-06, 23:16
MrEricSir MrEricSir is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: quitting smoking

quote:
Originally posted by bluntman457:
Just get the patch. It's the best alternative, haven't tried them though.

Be careful with that. There was this one teacher back when I was in high school who used the patch and the nicotine gum. She was always really wired and looked awful. The thing was though that she always smelled like smoke. It was really obvious to everyone that she was unable to quit and the patch and the gum only made her MORE addicted.
 #19 
Old 2003-01-07, 00:27
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: quitting smoking

I switched to "ultra lights", been taking shorter drags and have cut down significantly. Now all i've gotta do is quit the habbit completely. It's 9PM (EST) and i'm out of smokes, i'm dead tired and i'm not going out to get some. So if I really want one it'll have to wait until tomorrow morning.
 #20 
Old 2003-01-07, 07:00
SKD SKD is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: quitting smoking

i been clean for 4-5 weeks

the real test will be when uni starts. waiting in between classes, waiting for the train, waiting for the tram, waiting for friends, sitting on the lawn, stuff like that.

but if you put your mind to it, im sure anyone is capable of it. that is why YOU have to want to quit. dont do it for anyone else but yourself
 #21 
Old 2003-01-07, 17:45
Chunkmiester Chunkmiester is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: quitting smoking

My mum managed to quit by buying herbal cigs (ones with no nicotine in them, still bad because of smoke but they don't have the tar) and she would slowly swap out real cigs for herbal ones. I think every week she would add one more herbal cig per pack (and therefore remove one real one). After 20 or so weeks she had managed to ween herself off of real cigs and onto the less damaging herbal ones. After another couple of weeks she halved the amount of herbals that she smoked. Thats where my mum started having problems with wanting "just one" real cig, she started smoking real cigs again but she only smoked a little more that 1/4 of what she once smoked. A few months later she tried the swaping method again but with Sherbet Lemons (boiled sweets with sherbet inside) and managed to get entirely off cigerettes. It took her nearly a year to get off them but shes never smoked another one since.

edit- I think that the swapping method (doesn't matter what you swap to) would have to be the best method to stop smoking. If you go cold turkey then the "Just one" thoughts will get you started again, if you go on the patch you will end up having to get off the patch in pratically the same way that you had to get of cigs in the first place and the idea about only smoking half a cig, i don't think that would work because you'd only end up puffing the left over bit on the sly.

-Chunk

[This message has been edited by Chunkmiester (edited 01-07-2003).]
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics