|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Reinvent Yourself Self improvement through body modification, diet, physical and mental exercise, body-building, surgery, chemical introduction, life extension, and smart drugs. Medicine, and other body related topics also belong here. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2002-12-13, 13:08
|
sph3ric pyramid 
Regular
|
|
|
|
exactly where the hell should I look?
I have this problem. I'll be walking down a hall at school, and I don't know where to look. My eyes flinch away from people, for some reason.
So I feel uncomfortable when I end up staring at someone in front of me. It's very strange. People look at me funny when I glance at them, and then quickly look away, after I identify who they are.
Where the hell should I be looking when I walk? Forward, of course, but it just seems strange to me to be looking at some person who's walking down the hall towards me.
I don't know. It might be a result of my highly antisocial tendencies resulting from a move to a new school. Or it might just be my paranoia. In any case, I feel highly uncomfortable about it.
Another thing is, when I talk to someone, I look them in the eyes. Some people seem to be uncomfortable with this. Where the hell should I be looking, then?
In addition to this, when I look at someone of the opposite gender, I don't know, *how* to look at them. I can talk, etc. just fine, but, it's just this.
And consequently, I'm always paranoid about how people will read my eye movement, especially since I'm in Japan, where people seem to try to read into things too much.
There was this bird.
peace out. sph3ric pyramid.
|
|
#2
 2002-12-13, 13:52
|
|
Moderator
|
|
The fine line between genius and madness
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
I got through high school by counting tiles in the hall.
|
|
#3
 2002-12-13, 14:21
|
sph3ric pyramid 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
How many tiles were there?
|
|
#4
 2002-12-13, 20:20
|
|
Moderator
|
|
The fine line between genius and madness
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
I forget, in the last year they remodled and put in a different size. I do remember that down the long hallway it was 637 paces.
|
|
#5
 2002-12-13, 21:04
|
LordJugz 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
It's kinda anoying isnt it? I have the same problem, I just look at the ground.
|
|
#6
 2002-12-13, 22:08
|
lokisdaki 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
Just look forward and glance around and the crowd around you. Thats what I've always done. You'll probably pass by a few friends walking around your school, you don't want to be staring at the ground when they pass you by. Plus, it is intertesting to look at people when they're walking by, every single person will look at you and if you keep looking they will look away. It has worked with every person I've ever looked at. Also, when you walk by girls just stare straight forward as they will, when they pass you I've noticed that they will glance at you at the very last moment before passing you. Girls are really good at checking out guys, its hard to catch them.
|
|
#7
 2002-12-13, 22:25
|
SATURNROCKETX 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
I would fit in, in Japan! Hey, everybody here should get a pistol and practice with it once a week at a range.
|
|
#8
 2002-12-14, 10:26
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
i got same problem, i just smile and keep looking at different places preferablly where there is no or less people. i goto an australia high school and well we dont have schoool buildings like america. its like many different buildings so we're in the open most of the time
|
|
#9
 2002-12-14, 17:30
|
Wintermute 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
Don't concentrate on where you're looking, concentrate on how you walk..
That's honestly what I do.. before I walk into any place where there are a lot of people, especially if you feel kind of uncomfortable about it, take a 10 second break to throw your shoulders back, lift your chin, and think to yourself "I own this hallway/room"
You'll hopefully find that your eyes will find their own natural space. If you DO make eye contact with someone, you have two choices.. instead of looking away, which will make you look shifty/nervous, either flash them a quick smile, or give them an attitude look similar to "I wouldn't wipe shit off my boots with you".. all depends on who it is you see, and what impression you want to give..
People react to how you appear to them.. if you look nervous, they automatically rank you in the social scale below themselves.. if you give them a confident reaction, believe me, most people will rank you above themselves.. Makes life easier if you can master those things..
|
|
#10
 2002-12-14, 17:43
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
(Walking behind Wintermute for the nice view)
|
|
#11
 2002-12-14, 18:53
|
eXtacy 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
try walking down the hall with a friend, that way you can talk to him/her and it doesnt matter where you look no one really notices it cus you are with a friend, you will have trouble staring at someone while talking to another
|
|
#12
 2002-12-14, 23:30
|
Evolved 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
I had a similar problem when I used to travel on the train to Melbourne (2 hour trip). Sitting facing other people (when you haven't got a window seat) can be a problem.
Solution: Wear sunglasses. You can stare at who or what you want and you won't feel uncomfortable because they won't be able to tell who/where you are looking.
|
|
#13
 2002-12-15, 21:53
|
The Eternal Andy 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
Sunglasses indoors looks a bit weird though.
Sometimes when I'm walking and listening to music I "switch off"- I'm still seeing, just not paying attention to it. That could work.
|
|
#14
 2002-12-16, 03:47
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
I don't focus ahead of me. If I do meet glances with a girl I smile slightly. If its a guy, I lift my head a little and say hey. If I don't know them, they assume im not looking at them and I look at someone else.
|
|
#15
 2002-12-16, 05:25
|
Doofnoil 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
kick your feet forward when you walk, it'll straighten you out and lean you back some. everyone else is thinking about something else, what makes you so damned special that they would stop what they're thinking to have a thought about how somebodies eye met there's for a split second in the hall, unless it a girl, in which case if she looks through you forget about it, if she quickly looks away bump into her and get her name possibly number. if it's a guy who cares, he's not thinking anything except why is this guy looking at me or WHY THE FUCK IS THIS PRICK STARING ME DOWN if he's a cockstrong mutha fucka looking for lunch. but seriously man, who gives a fuck, look at what you want, when i was in highschool and not stoned out of my mind i would skan about waist high until i found a botty in tight jeans going the same way as me nad just cruise to my class being hypnotized by sweet female smell and wobbling hips.
|
|
#16
 2002-12-16, 23:40
|
SATURNROCKETX 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
Hey! Try wearing sunglasses with a TRENCHCOAT. That will get people to FLEE in fear, especially in a school. You will have the whole school to yourself!
|
|
#17
 2002-12-18, 23:18
|
CallMeBob 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
im with doofnoil
|
|
#18
 2002-12-19, 08:26
|
Spiffy McBang 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
Wearing sunglasses indoors may look weird, but it also flips people the fuck out. I find it to be an advantage to needing glasses- I have prescription sunglasses, so if people question me about it, thinking I'm just trying to look cool or something, I can tell them I need them to see.
|
|
#19
 2002-12-19, 19:39
|
Obelisk1125 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
Don't wear sunglasses inside. I just look ahead and my eyes just wander on their own. If you have to, I guess you could look at the back of the person's head in front of you. Then you won't have to look them in the eyes.
|
|
#20
 2002-12-20, 16:44
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
quote: Originally posted by SATURNROCKETX: Hey! Try wearing sunglasses with a TRENCHCOAT. That will get people to FLEE in fear, especially in a school. You will have the whole school to yourself!
No saturn, you forgot you need to be carrying a large gun, or have many pistols and uzis concealed under your coat! then when everyone gets freaked you can run up walls in slow-mo 
|
|
#21
 2002-12-20, 17:05
|
Ignotum Per Igotius 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
I actually do what I did in football playing linebacker . Keep your head on a swivel . looking around in each direction every so often .
|
|
#22
 2002-12-23, 05:44
|
Broken Pizza 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
Yup i dont know where to have my eyes go when im talking to people either. I dont want to just stare them in the eye. And i dont want to stare at the ground the whole damn time. What i do is look the person in the face for a few seconds (oh say 3-5) and then look a Little to the side for a bit longer. Then back at them. its really natural looking, and makes it look like your listening. I do this pretty much on instinct, it makes the most sense for me.
|
|
#23
 2002-12-23, 05:52
|
NGNeer 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
I don't know what to tell you. My eyes generally trace themselves around the hall. If they meet somebody, I keep going unless they seem to be trying to catch my eye.
This is why a freind of mine in Philosophy class asked me if I was feeling okay: To other people in the hallway, I look like a dead man come back to life. My eyes don't make any specific discernments to the people. Neither submissive nor aggressive. It makes people think I'm ill or something.
|
|
#24
 2002-12-23, 21:24
|
Certijal 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
Sunglasses are the best thing to do.
If you are insane, try this: Walk backwards most of the time. After a while (and many bumps), people recognize you and move away. Yes, its strange, but who wants to be normal.
PS: Not a good idea if your small.
|
|
#25
 2002-12-23, 23:42
|
Kia Kordestani 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
Wear sunglasses then star blatantly into the womens breastesses. See if they notice.
|
|
#26
 2002-12-24, 00:16
|
Spiffy McBang 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
quote: Originally posted by Kia Kordestani: Wear sunglasses then star blatantly into the womens breastesses. See if they notice.
Unless you turn your head in that direction, they don't, save the few that have a sixth sense about when their breasts are being ogled. The flip-side is that if you do this a lot, you may start to do it when you're not wearing sunglasses.
|
|
#27
 2002-12-24, 12:16
|
Wintermute 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
http://www.disenchanted.com/dis/humor/hallway.html
|
|
#28
 2003-01-11, 05:35
|
FatDaddy 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
quote: Originally posted by ComradeAsh: No saturn, you forgot you need to be carrying a large gun, or have many pistols and uzis concealed under your coat! then when everyone gets freaked you can run up walls in slow-mo 
Hey, you stole that from The Matrix! I'm so smart....
|
|
#29
 2003-01-11, 08:21
|
C101C 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
Whats wrong with walking around wearing a trenchcoat & sun glasses?
- Drax
|
|
#30
 2003-01-14, 19:46
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
Better yet, wear a trench coat and walk with your hand slightly in one of the middle pockets in the front.
|
|
#31
 2003-01-14, 19:51
|
jackallen 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
i walked through high school in one of two ways - either with my head down, or looking around suspiciously (sp?) like I was some sort of secret agent and I was onto their evil scheme... i still do this wherever I go, and people are begining to fear me...  either that, or they think im insane... 
|
|
#32
 2003-01-14, 20:55
|
bsquared 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
Just don't think about it otherwise you look and act insecure. Just imagine it like this... its hard to act natural if you try to act natural
|
|
#33
 2003-01-14, 21:40
|
canoscan 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
quote: Originally posted by JamesTheGod: Better yet, wear a trench coat and walk with your hand slightly in one of the middle pockets in the front.
ive done that at school. Noone really cares.
|
|
#34
 2003-01-14, 22:09
|
Concealed Carrier 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
If you do wear dark sunglasses make sure you carry a folding white cane to go with them.
You'll find people will try really hard get out of your way too.
BTW, I also find this effective when parking in handicapped spots.
cc
|
|
#35
 2003-01-14, 22:50
|
jackallen 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
quote: Originally posted by Concealed Carrier: If you do wear [b]dark sunglasses make sure you carry a folding white cane to go with them.
You'll find people will try really hard get out of your way too.
BTW, I also find this effective when parking in handicapped spots.
cc[/B]
why (or how) would a blind person be parking a car? 
|
|
#36
 2003-01-15, 00:51
|
Bogey Man 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
They came out with these sunglasses that hook to a blind person's brain and send them flashes of light that allow them to see the outlines of objects.
I walk down the hallway and smile at everyone I don't know, but I'm usually smiling anyways (I can't help but find everyone funny, which isn't always a nice thing).
|
|
#37
 2003-01-15, 01:33
|
ronin_sof 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
I always look right at people when I walked past them. I figure; let them think what they want, that's where my eyes naturally go.
although sunglasses work too. I did that during high school. People may give you a bit of a rough time for a week or two, but after that, they get used to it, and don't realy care.
|
|
#38
 2003-01-15, 22:40
|
Syntex 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
Stare at the back of the person's head that is infront of you, ands when you cross paths with someone you know, say hey and look at them.
As for me, I do that. Except when I'm going by some girl, i just stare and smile and sometimes wink to make them laugh. It's fun. If I like the girl enough, then I'll swign around in a U-torn to catch up with her, or I jus sidestep in her way and walk with her.
In which case, I get some poon for the night or weekend. lol.
734 tiles in my school that I counted from side to side...
SYNTEX
|
|
#39
 2003-01-16, 23:34
|
Visionary 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: exactly where the hell should I look?
I find that if i have a place to go besides class i really don't care where my eyes go. So stop by the candy machine and grab a bag of m&m's then goto class..that way when your goin to class you can be concentratin on eatin your m&m's and if anyone gives a rats ass about you walking down the hall after the bell's rung..they'll think your cool because you have m&m's
P.S.:this technique can be accented by grabbing a sprite(cuz everyone knows sprites are popular)too
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|