About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Reinvent Yourself
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reinvent Yourself Self improvement through body modification, diet, physical and mental exercise, body-building, surgery, chemical introduction, life extension, and smart drugs. Medicine, and other body related topics also belong here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-11-03, 01:59
lokisdaki lokisdaki is offline
Regular
 
Default Painful joints from workout

I work out often, every other day, and I do mostly upper body work. Lately my elbow joints have been really bothersome and sometimes I have to stop working out because I'm afraid I'm damaging myself. I believe I workout properly but I think that my pain is caused by over-working my arms. Is there something that will aid my joints, like some chemical or a supplement?
 #2 
Old 2002-11-03, 23:02
SATURNROCKETX SATURNROCKETX is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Painful joints from workout

YES!

I have that too, especially when I do push-ups. At least I USED to. I still have it a little but what I started using is:

Glucosamine Chondroitin

Try Walmart, look for the white bottle with the picture on it of an x-ray of joints.
When I started taking this stuff it was unreal, I thought it was a psychological reaction, but it honestly works and it seems like with-in hours! When I STOP taking it, even for six hours, I'll suffer when I do push-ups and even walking is noticably problematic. Get that brand, don't go for the cheap stuff. I'm not too impressed with "Natura" type brands. The trade brand has the right ingredients in sufficient amounts, the one with the x-ray pictures on the bottle.
 #3 
Old 2002-11-03, 23:54
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Painful joints from workout

While I have no quarrel with people taking supplements to aid recovery, do you really think something which causes such problems if you stop taking it is such a good idea? It sounds more like something that takes away the pain instead of helping you heal, which would explain why you hurt so bad if you cut yourself off. That's not helpful- pain is your body's way of saying something's wrong. You're only hurting yourself if you take something which only allows you to ignore it instead of helping fix it.

As for the original post- give your joints some rest. Work out less if you have to, but it's preferable to try and find different exercises that won't strain the aching tendons and ligaments as much. If you really want to try and find something to take... no offense to the people here, who are pretty good, but go to a doctor. They're the ones that know the most about dealing with pain.
 #4 
Old 2002-11-04, 02:21
The Molecular Man The Molecular Man is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Painful joints from workout

chondroitin sulfate is a major constituent of the cartilage that cushions your joints
 #5 
Old 2002-11-05, 21:01
SATURNROCKETX SATURNROCKETX is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Painful joints from workout

Yes I have a bottle of the sulphate stuff, which I think is inferior to the brand name I mentioned above. But its hard to tell. I doubt the ingredients are pain-relievers, but its not a bad point.
 #6 
Old 2002-11-06, 20:19
nw freak nw freak is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Painful joints from workout

Spiffy's right.Taking a supplement can cover up the real problem.Your bone structure might not be right for the weight you are pulling.I used to get back pain from pulling down so much weight on the lat pull.I was pulling down a bit more than i weighed .I came to the conclusion that my frame is not meant for this type of lifting.Try a different approach.
 #7 
Old 2002-11-06, 23:49
Regular
 
Smalltown USA
Default Re: Painful joints from workout

I started taking Glucosemine for my joint pain but my doctor told me that it isn't necessary for anyone under fifty(I'm 15)so I stopped taking it. It didn't seem to make much of a difference anyway.

P.S. I have never seen any evidence that Spiffy has been wrong about ANYTHING. Lol
 #8 
Old 2002-11-07, 00:53
SATURNROCKETX SATURNROCKETX is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Painful joints from workout

Your doctor is trying to kill you.
 #9 
Old 2002-11-07, 08:19
joho joho is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Painful joints from workout

I am lucky i dont get that problem.But my mate used to untill he was told not to lock the joint out in things like bench pressing.It seemed to work for him.Try it and see.
 #10 
Old 2002-11-07, 15:43
Palo Alto Palo Alto is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Painful joints from workout

Protein and sleeping help a LOT. Those things have rid me of knee pain forever.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics