About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Reinvent Yourself
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reinvent Yourself Self improvement through body modification, diet, physical and mental exercise, body-building, surgery, chemical introduction, life extension, and smart drugs. Medicine, and other body related topics also belong here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-25, 18:16
Moderator
 
toronto
Default Working out while sick?

I've heard mixed reviews. I've heard of the "neck test" that implies that if its just a head cold then your ok, as in you wont complicate any respiratory problems. But I want to know if weight training will significanty hinder recovery from a cold. Any thoughts or anecdotes?
 #2 
Old 2002-10-25, 20:07
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Working out while sick?

A friend of mine came out and played football with us despite a 102-degree fever. By the end of the game, he felt much better, since he sweated out the illness.

I doubt you'll cause yourself undue harm working out with a cold, as long as you pay attention to what you're doing and don't injure yourself because your brain's foggy from being sick.
 #3 
Old 2002-10-25, 22:45
Moderator
 
toronto
Default Re: Working out while sick?

Do you think it would delay recovery from the cold though?
 #4 
Old 2002-10-25, 22:53
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Working out while sick?

No. If you work up a good sweat, you might even get better quicker.
 #5 
Old 2002-10-26, 19:50
Moderator
 
toronto
Default Re: Working out while sick?

thanks
 #6 
Old 2002-10-28, 03:53
Mr.Fubar Mr.Fubar is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Working out while sick?

Should be allright if you stay warm and drink lotsa fluids. I gotta chest cold now and I'm still goin to the gym. I kinda felt better after. Maybe gettin your blood flowing helps your immune system work?
 #7 
Old 2002-10-28, 04:08
lokisdaki lokisdaki is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Working out while sick?

My doctor told me that after working out your immune system is weaker for a few hours, but overall working out strengthens your immune system. So I would think that working out would make you more sick; which I think is true since I've noticed when I'm sick and have run that I feel much worse afterward and get more sick. But I don't know about just lifting.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics