|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Reinvent Yourself Self improvement through body modification, diet, physical and mental exercise, body-building, surgery, chemical introduction, life extension, and smart drugs. Medicine, and other body related topics also belong here. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2002-10-21, 21:39
|
Nohman 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Maxing Out
I'm 138 lbs, and maxed out 200 a while back. (Is that good? Im 15...) I'm now reppin 150, 8-12 reps(3 sets or more) on a cybex chest press machine. How much should I be doing on a normal bench press, to know if I'm ready to max 225? Also, whats the easiest way to train abs (I dont have weights, or mats, etc.) at home? I'd prefer to gain mass and tone at the same time... Thanks.
[This message has been edited by Nohman (edited 10-21-2002).]
|
|
#2
 2002-10-21, 22:36
|
Spiffy McBang 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Maxing Out
Why are you so concerned about your max? Other than bragging rights, it doesn't matter for the vast majority of people, so unless you have a good reason for wanting your max bench to increase, I'd really suggest not worrying about it. It'll go up.
Don't worry about weights or any of that shit for abs. Find a relatively soft floor if you don't have a mat, then do whatever kinds of ab exercises you prefer (you can find a shitload with a Yahoo search). My personal favorite is twisting situps, but everyone's different.
Stick to 10-12 rep sets and make sure you're active (be it with dedicated cardio or just running around doing stuff), and you should find yourself increasing mass and tone adequately.
|
|
#3
 2002-10-21, 22:41
|
Nohman 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Maxing Out
I know the max is just a demonstration for current strenght...but thats exactly what I want to find out my current strenghth. Plus, it also serves as a goal, you try to reach a point where you can max a certain weigth. That said, thanks for the other stuff. But i'd still like to know how much I should be reppin' for my max.
|
|
#4
 2002-10-21, 22:56
|
Spiffy McBang 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Maxing Out
Mmm.. but what's wrong with setting a goal of being able to rep a certain amount ten times? It's also a measure of strength, albeit a slightly different kind of strength, it will go up at a rate approximately proportional to your one-rep max, and- most importantly- it actually relates to your workout. It may seem unimportant, but I know a few people- including a gym teacher who worked out since the time he was a teenager- who have gotten hurt pretty badly trying to test their max for no reason other than to see what they could do.
|
|
#5
 2002-10-22, 06:40
|
sph3ric pyramid 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Maxing Out
If you've been working out on a machine, then try benchpressing with a bar. There's a huge difference. The machine helps you concentrate on the pecs, but it doesn't help you tone all of the major (upperbody) muscle groups like freeweights do.
If you've been working out exclusively with the machine, you'll be in for quite a shock.
Edited to add- For toning abs and core muscles: Put your feet up on a something that'll be higher than the rest of your body in push-up position. Place a weight plate (or some other kind of weight; plates would be best) wrapped in a towel on your back. Do some push-ups.
peace out. sph3ric pyramid.
[This message has been edited by sph3ric pyramid (edited 10-22-2002).]
|
|
#6
 2002-10-22, 22:24
|
Palo Alto 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Maxing Out
maxing is overrated. I wouldn't even bother. Ever.
|
|
#7
 2002-10-23, 00:09
|
Nohman 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Maxing Out
I don't work solely with the machine, I make sure to work out with freeweighs too. I used the machines way back when I was getting my balance up, but I mostly use freeweights. As for the maxing out, there's a reason we have spots. And it's good to know where I'm at. Thanks for the info on the abs though, I hardly get to work those out at the gym, so know I can finally get those up to date with the rest of my body. Thanks again for that.
[This message has been edited by Nohman (edited 10-23-2002).]
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|