|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Reinvent Yourself Self improvement through body modification, diet, physical and mental exercise, body-building, surgery, chemical introduction, life extension, and smart drugs. Medicine, and other body related topics also belong here. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2002-10-14, 22:39
|
|
Regular
|
|
Behind the boat house
|
|
It's Not Me That's Crazy... It's Everyone Else
It seems like everyone has some kind of mental disorder now. I'm sure people have always had mental disorders, they just were never diagnosed, but it seems like, in the last twenty years it's become more socially acceptable to wig out. All sorts of medications and everyone is manic depressive, everyone is bi-polar.
And, really, may be it's just where I live, or where I go, or who I meet but it seems like the majority have mental problems of some sort or another. So, if the majority has mental problems, doesn't that technically mean that it's the people who don't have mental problems who are the odd ones? Doesn't it sort of lead you to believe that the "normal" people are hiding something? Because how can the "norm" be a smaller percentage?
And I'm getting really tired of people calling me crazy. I'm some skitzo... I was diagnosed so long ago I don't even remember the actual name of it, manic depressive, and some kind of anxiety disorder PTSD something or other. And I don't take medication for it and I keep it under control.
I hold up just fine in job, school, and social settings. Sometimes I feel like I'm the most grounded person around because I have absolutely no room for added drama in my life. Things are turbulent and with whatever I have it makes it hard to deal. But, I do and I do it without medication and I want to continue living without medication for as long as I can. Screw the fucking doctors. They don't know what they're talking about.
How can they? How can anyone know unless they have what you have? And how come I'm the "crazy" one? I'm holding it together just fine.
Cheers, Lost
|
|
#2
 2002-10-14, 22:55
|
Spiffy McBang 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: It's Not Me That's Crazy... It's Everyone Else
quote: Originally posted by LostCause: And how come I'm the "crazy" one?
Best I can tell, the "crazy" ones are the people who, either by voluntary testing or running afoul of the law (or their parents) and being forced to undergo examination, are discovered to be suffering ("suffering") from Disorder X, Y, and/or Z. The rest of us just haven't done anything to draw attention to ourselves.
|
|
#3
 2002-10-15, 05:01
|
Z3m 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: It's Not Me That's Crazy... It's Everyone Else
Lost, I know you need something to calm you down...
Anyway, the crazies are the creative. Read into Crowley if you must. He was totally insane, but people seemed to like him.. Well, They commited suicide and such after meeting him...
Fuck, I'm a drug addict. I don't know. Leave me alone.
|
|
#4
 2002-10-15, 05:33
|
govinda 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: It's Not Me That's Crazy... It's Everyone Else
I agree with Spiffy
we will probably find out later they are just labeling different personality traits from boredom or whatever. i've seen really crazy people - people who can't actually control their minds whatsoever and there is a big difference between them and your ordinary skitzo.
|
|
#5
 2002-10-20, 15:34
|
stormybaka 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: It's Not Me That's Crazy... It's Everyone Else
I will answer this with my quote. This is the quote I came up for the banner on my website.
Crazy is Creativity and Common is Cliche -stormybaka-
So called mental illness is hard to work out if you look into the days of my great grandparents whom all lived most of there lives in Mental Hospitals. But not for the reasons you'd think. ie. what they were like then, would be considered normal now. one had epilespy the other was just a normal guy who kept clean and organised I mean locking someone away for those reason is stupid, the way I see it for all that people know the crazy people could have been the ones making the diagnoses and judgements. But back then alot of people were thrown into mental hospitals just for being different to the so called normal; whatever that is...
|
|
#6
 2002-10-20, 23:31
|
deptstoremook 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: It's Not Me That's Crazy... It's Everyone Else
It would make more sense if people -didn't- have these disorders all along, and they're being grossly overdiagnosed now. Think about it: Why would some 30% of people grow up with a mental disorder? Either be it depresssion, bi-polar disorder or schizophrenia, it doesn't make sense for such a large portion of people to have this kind of disorder.
It's the same with braces. Why would 70% (at least that's what it is in my neck of the woods) of kids -need- (as the orthodontist always puts it) braces to re-align their teeth? It's just snake oil, I say.
|
|
#7
 2002-10-21, 22:59
|
NGNeer 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: It's Not Me That's Crazy... It's Everyone Else
On this subject, I can offer a little insight.
I have a few "problems" with my head, but nothing that would cause much trouble. Like Lost Cause, I keep it under control. I beleive that this may in fact be an engineered part of society, to traumatize children (or convince adults they were traumatized as children; the results will be the same) and then establish an economic "tap" to drain cash from those who see therapists and take medications. People pay hundreds to thousands of dollars an hour to talk about their problems to someone who sees them as a source of income or a broken machine that needs fixing, if even that, when all they really need to do is to find a job where things are not as pressured, or bitch and moan on a forum like this one in a cathartic experience. But if the problems were simple to solve, there would be no need for shrinks... hence, shrinks mask the problems with complex sounding terms.
Or perhaps I'm just being paranoid.
/me shrugs
|
|
#8
 2002-10-26, 22:23
|
KarlMaloneSay 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: It's Not Me That's Crazy... It's Everyone Else
well, all i know is that i am bi-polar ive got diasassocative personalities disoorder, and i got ADHD and that the most prominent one would be bi-polar...and i wouldnt know if my father hadnt sent me to numerous psychologists every year from the time i was 5 and he saw me not playing with other kids and then they told me i had nothing till i was 14 and diagnosed with ADHD and then at 15 bi-polar and just this year i got diagnosed with disassociative personalities disorder after i had been making up several charecters since i was young- but now when i should have "outgrown" this...they get all worried...im only being treated for bi-polar and ADHD with Trileptal and Adderall and they help...if any body is truly "crazy" it probably isnt me, at least im not a shizzophrenic- but without the medications id do horribly crazy things, once when i was 14 and had bi-polar then just not diagnosed,i took anti freeze and dishwashing fluid to school and poured it all over the floor...and some kid slipped and i started pointing and laughing at him and that was my first manic episode...thats when i was investigated...and after i was diagnosed i stopped taking my medication and became all crazy and shit again...i stole my mothers credit card and bought tons of things with it...crazy shit too-asprin, boots, tire irons, other things found at k-mart...i guess it seems like there are alot of people with problems these days and there are...but i wouldnt doubt that many are either faked or mis-diagnosed...
|
|
#9
 2002-10-27, 16:35
|
|
Moderator
|
|
The fine line between genius and madness
|
|
Re: It's Not Me That's Crazy... It's Everyone Else
I have ADHD, obsessive compulsive disorder, and I think I may be just a little bipolar.
No biggie. My parents had me on medication for about 10 years. I stopped taking it last year on my own personal theory that it wasn't helping, and damned if I wasn't right. I am the same as I was when I was taking it. By my estimation the pharmacutical company got a good 4 grand off of my family before I figured this out.
What people realy need is to learn how to direct their "disorders" towards some project where it won't interfere with the rest of their lives. For example, my Obsessive Compulsive is directed to counting peas from a can as I eat them. (by the way, the average can contains 732 peas)
But seriously, the average person could function just fine without medication or shrinks, though a sympethetic ear is always handy.
|
|
#10
 2002-10-28, 05:12
|
Mr.Fubar 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: It's Not Me That's Crazy... It's Everyone Else
Well Lostcause, I don't know about it being more socially acceptable now, but at least now if you act wierd they don't call you a witch and burn you at the stake like they did a few hundred years ago. I do agree that there are a lot of people with small dissorders like ADD, and bi-polar. Its like 20 years ago hardly anybody knew what those were, now its like really common. Maybe cause now you go to the doctor and say"I hate myself!", snd then he diagnoses you as a manic depressent and gives you drugs. I knew that there was somethin wierd about me when I was young. I'm pretty sure I have ADD(or ADHD) but now that I'm older I can control the way I act better. One day a friend(who has add) gives me a couple retelin when I was in tech school, I took one before a test and was like"WOW!" I'm ussually the last one done and have trouble concentrating but then I was the first one done and I aced it. I'm not sure if I should get diagnosed or how I would? Maybe its better not to take that stuff?
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|