|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Reinvent Yourself Self improvement through body modification, diet, physical and mental exercise, body-building, surgery, chemical introduction, life extension, and smart drugs. Medicine, and other body related topics also belong here. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2002-10-13, 20:28
|
|
|
Skinny and fat at the same time?
Hey everyone. I've been lurking around here for a while and finally decided to join after weighing the moron/intellectual ratio (it was a close one). This forum has some certified bright people though it seems, so I hope I can reap some of y'alls knowings.
My question is: I am a skinny 27 year old that has recently started weight training. I have no fat anywhere on my body EXCEPT for my gut. Its not huge, but its a handfull I'd like to get rid of. How do I lose weight around my mid section and gain weight everywhere else?
Also is it good to take creatine and whey protein at the same time (ie before a work out), or should they be taken separately?
|
|
#2
 2002-10-13, 23:32
|
Spiffy McBang 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
Cardio cardio cardio cardio cardio. Combined with enough situps, you should be able to get your belly the way you want it. (If you've always been skinny, your diet probably won't matter as much as it would for some people, but pay some attention to what you're consuming- beer, for instance, is a BAD thing.)
For gaining size, check this thread: http://www.totse.com/bbs/Forum32/HTML/000082.html You still have to eat more, or try the high-calorie shakes.. I don't know anything about those, though, or supplements, so hopefully someone else can bring the knowledge. Try some Yahoo searches on creatine and whey protein, too, see what it turns up.
|
|
#3
 2002-10-14, 00:37
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
So suppose I start eating tons fo calories. As long as I keep lifting I shouldn't worry about gaining weight in the wrong places?
The beer I think is the culprit all right. That will be the hardest to give up (thank god for whisky).
Do you have any tips for doing a proper ab work out (proper crunch technique) I've never had much luck with situps, and always end up feeling it in my back more. I think it has something to do with my general lankyness. Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks loads for the info. Cheers.
|
|
#4
 2002-10-14, 01:07
|
Palo Alto 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
A few things:
There is no such thing as spot reduction. To lose weight somewhere, you will have to lose weight everywhere. This means diet and cardio.
creatine and whey are fine together.
for visible abs, diet and cardio are the keys, with ab work in third. A common misconception is that you get abs by doing lots of situps. Lots of situps will simply be overtraining. Go with a couple of sets, with a moderate amount of reps (6-12, whatever you feel comfortable with) 2-3 times a week.
also, make sure that the extra calories you take in are CLEAN. low sugar, low saturated fat. regular fat is not as bad as everyone has been told.
last, whiskey has calories. Quite a few, i believe. It's no better than beer. drop it.
|
|
#5
 2002-10-14, 01:59
|
Z3m 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
You know, all of this information can obtained on the web, for free, if you do a search.
This post is obviously on the stupid end of the bell curve...
|
|
#6
 2002-10-14, 02:03
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
Thanks for the input. I understand that there is no spot losing of weight. But my gaining up until now has been solely in one spot. This just has me cautious before I begin loading on the calories to try to gain weight in other places. Thats interesting about situps though, I did think you had to do alot of them. I didnt know I could treat them like any other reps. Thanks again.
Also, what sort of booze can I drink guilt free (relatively). Its a crutch I'm not prepared walk without. Cheers.
|
|
#7
 2002-10-14, 02:10
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
Z3m, I'm aware of how to use a search engine. But the amount of info you get is typically huge,often contradicting, and usually in the marketing interests of companies. I only need basic information. Relative to the specific problems I want to ask. I chose this particular forum because I liked the style of some of the people I saw responding to other questions. I'm a total newbie when it comes to fitness. If this is not the time or place please let me know.
[This message has been edited by dagnabitt (edited 10-14-2002).]
|
|
#8
 2002-10-14, 04:08
|
Spiffy McBang 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
I like twisting situps, but if you're having back problems, you might want to have a doctor check you out and suggest what you might be able to safely handle, depending on how bad they are. Give it a shot, though.. I started a push-up/sit-up regimen, and my lower back pain has steadily decreased to nothing.
For alcohol, I would assume pretty much anything besides beer would work fine.. try something, if it seems to fuck you up, go to something else.
|
|
#9
 2002-10-14, 05:10
|
Z3m 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
Do whatever you want. I can berate you for it.
|
|
#10
 2002-10-14, 14:59
|
Who's Your Daddy? 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
dagnabitt, get the book Body For Life. It's a great book that will give you a solid foundation.
It's premise is that real change starts with the mind, not the body. Though it covers exercise routines and diet.
"Also, what sort of booze can I drink guilt free (relatively)."
Lisa: There's a secret staircase behind in the alcohol-free beer case?
Apu: Yes.
Lisa: What happens if someone wants the alcohol-free beer.
Apu: Y'know, it's never come up...
[This message has been edited by Who's Your Daddy? (edited 10-14-2002).]
|
|
#11
 2002-10-14, 16:16
|
TribalMunkey 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
quote: Originally posted by dagnabitt: Thanks for the input. I understand that there is no spot losing of weight. But my gaining up until now has been solely in one spot. This just has me cautious before I begin loading on the calories to try to gain weight in other places. Thats interesting about situps though, I did think you had to do alot of them. I didnt know I could treat them like any other reps. Thanks again.
Also, what sort of booze can I drink guilt free (relatively). Its a crutch I'm not prepared walk without. Cheers.
|
|
#12
 2002-10-15, 03:02
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
Hey thanks for all the responses, except I guess for Z3m who apperars to be some sort of dick  Everyone else thanks for the help. Cheers.
|
|
#13
 2002-10-15, 05:08
|
Z3m 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
I'm an "asshole" who gives goot advice.
My day is not spent on the computer. I can't research for you... It's just stupid to expect others to provide what you need.
The Law is Will
|
|
#14
 2002-10-15, 11:08
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
I did'nt call you an asshole, I called you a dick. And only because you have a chip on your shoulders. 2)Also Im willing to bet you spend more time on the intenet than me. If your time is so valuable why do you hang around SELF HELP forums where people are going to ask SELF HELP questions, even if they are of a lower standard than you would like (just link me somewhere else).
Why dont you read a little more Nietszche (or some at all) (referring to your sig) before going on flames for no good reason. Simply having a will-to-jerk makes you not a noble master.
[This message has been edited by dagnabitt (edited 10-15-2002).]
|
|
#15
 2002-10-15, 16:03
|
SSSSTAMP 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
Z3m's day isn't spent at a computer, but manages 4248 postings? And was given Moderator status? Dagnabbit, post your questions--if someone doesn't want to reply, they don't have to.
|
|
#16
 2002-10-15, 17:07
|
Spiffy McBang 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
You have NO IDEA how long Z3m has been around. Shit, I've been posting here for probably two years, and he was one of the well-known old-timers when I got here. It's not that hard to make a lot of posts checking the board once every few days if you put several of them up when you do.
|
|
#17
 2002-10-15, 20:16
|
SSSSTAMP 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
Oh, for the LOVE OF GOD!! YES, I DO HAVE AN IDEA how long Z3m has been around, and it's about 6 months longer than you. Hmmmm, that averages over FIVE postings PER DAY! That's NOT checking the board once every few days and putting up several posts when you do.
(NOW YOU'VE GOT ME USING UPPERCASE!) Why can't YOU people, that's YOU Spiffy McBang, actually read a posting before you reply to it, especially with statements like "It's not that hard to make a lot of posts checking the board once every few days if you put several of them up when you do." Childhood math will show you where you have gone wrong--BTW, that is criticism, in an angry manner, actually "berating"! The fvcking point being that Z3m is a Moderator and shouldn't be berating anyone--actually was just using the wrong word, he was just being a dick as Dagnabitt eloquently put it! Did you have a point by the way?
My point was and is, that as a moderator, Z3m can either ask Dagnabitt not to ask that type of question, as it does not belong in this type of forum--Dagnabitt did say that he was new to the whole deal--or he can piss off. There were people that were more than happy to help.
I think I'll open my front door and take that fvcking bat out of your hand. It doesn't make you tough! Use that quarter to call someone who gives a shit!
Dagnabitt--stop eating so much cheese!!!
|
|
#18
 2002-10-15, 21:48
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
whoa, pretty fiesty around these parts. Thanks for all the good advice, and er...support 
|
|
#19
 2002-10-15, 23:54
|
Spiffy McBang 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
I was debating whether or not to respond, because Z hardly needs me to defend him, so I won't- but there are a couple of facts you need to have straight.
Five posts a day? Okay, checking on average once every three days, that's fifteen posts each time around. Most of his posts are one or two lines. Even on dial-up, that can be done in a half-hour. Add reading time, and you've got maybe an hour or two needed to do all that, depending on how many threads he checks. If two hours in three days is considered spending all your time on the computer, I envy the active life you must lead.
Being a moderator- this is, by and large, a thankless job. The compliments we might receive are generally due to what we post, which is the same whether we're mods or not. 99% of the comments we might get about the mod-type things we do are negative ("why'd you close my thread motherfucker!!").
Most importantly, we're all volunteers. We help out because we like the site and we want to, and enigma trusts us to not abuse our power. At no point did we agree to certain standard of behavior; he gave us the positions knowing how we are, because we have knowledge about the topics of the forums we mod, and without asking anyone to change.
If someone is an unhelpful asshole in their own forum(s), fine. Bitch about them there. Outside of our forums, we're no higher on the totem pole than anyone else who posts here. You're more than welcome to tell anyone what you think of their attitude, but don't bother throwing the fact they're a mod at them. It doesn't make a lick of difference.
|
|
#20
 2002-10-16, 01:06
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
Thanks for being a mod spiffy. This thread really wasnt supposed to be about this.
|
|
#21
 2002-10-16, 02:03
|
Spiffy McBang 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
I know this wasn't the point of the thread, and I understand why you would've been annoyed with Z. I just figured, with the misconceptions El Stampo was reeling off, it was as good a time as any to drop the truth on everyone who feels the same way he does. A lot of people seem to think this is some sort of job for us, with all the inherent responsibilities of being courteous and shit that goes with real-life work, and that just isn't the case.
|
|
#22
 2002-10-16, 13:21
|
SSSSTAMP 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
Hmmmmm, yeah.... my bad! "This post is obviously on the stupid end of the bell curve..." "Do whatever you want. I can berate you for it." "I'm an "asshole" who gives goot advice. My day is not spent on the computer. I can't research for you... It's just stupid to expect others to provide what you need." The above is not how a moderator should speak!!! You can have the last word on that one if you want Spliffy  I'm done with it! Your taking the time to respond concisely is appreciated however. All, just think twice before you fire-off what you think is a "funny" (to yourself) one-liner.
|
|
#23
 2002-10-23, 04:12
|
Mr.Fubar 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
I took creatine an whey powder at the same time for 3 months. No problem. I recommend the liquid creatine. You only take it before you work out, not all the time. No mixing those yucky powder drinks. Good Luck.
|
|
#24
 2002-10-24, 03:05
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
I actually read recently that creatine should be taken in the absence of any protein, or citrus, and with carbs instead. The site recommended taking it on an empty stomach with a spoonfull or so of fruitose.
|
|
#25
 2002-10-24, 03:35
|
Z3m 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
Ok. I'm too drunk to actually give anyone a real reply, but I will say that I've been "made" moderator for no reason. I was a mod and asked to be de-moded. Now I'm a mod again... New management, I guess.
What kind of little person gets upset about someone over the internet, anyway?
|
|
#26
 2002-10-24, 03:40
|
Z3m 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
Oh and, yeah. I am rather manic about &TOTSE.
I've been around since the DIALUP DAYS, pussies. I know there were 7-10 nodes. I played Lunatix... I was there. I post several times when I visit.
Nice to have to have time to fuck with you idiots, though. Once we meet face to face, I won't comment on your personal appearance.
|
|
#27
 2002-10-24, 03:40
|
Z3m 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
"A small hole"
That one I never got...
|
|
#28
 2002-10-24, 15:24
|
|
|
Re: Skinny and fat at the same time?
quote: Originally posted by Z3m: What kind of little person gets upset about someone over the internet, anyway?
Er, apology accepted. 
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|