About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > News of the World
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News of the World Current events discussion and links to stuff that's happening right now. Who needs CNN when you have totse?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-16, 18:43
MaijinKai MaijinKai is offline
Regular
 
Default Fighting for "your" country

im just wondering why people (if you do that is) think they should fight and give their lives for "their country" i believe in defending innocent people but why would you feel so patriotic about somewhere they didnt choose to born in, you dont choose ur country of birth so why feel that it is worth your life? im not saying your wrong id just like a few opinions
 #2 
Old 2002-10-16, 18:54
TheMouse TheMouse is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fighting for "your" country

People have to protect themselves from invasions. In that sense, they're fighting for their country. Unless, of course, you don't mind China storming into your country, taking all your resources, and putting your family into labor camps?

As to "fighting for your country" while invading another country... that's most often a propaganda fallacy. In those cases, you're fighting for some political and businessman schemes. That's quite different than fighting for your country in self-defense.
 #3 
Old 2002-10-16, 19:43
4ot 4ot is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fighting for "your" country

maybe cause its where all my friends and family live. its natural instinct to defend your home, even if the idea of what you home is is expanded to cover a whole country.
 #4 
Old 2002-10-17, 05:39
Joe Boo Joe Boo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fighting for "your" country

It's also a basic instinct to be a wolf and not a sheep.
 #5 
Old 2002-10-17, 19:29
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fighting for "your" country

In your topic Real Terrorists, I mentioned capitalization. This time I'll talk about the apostrophe. Using apostrophe's is good.

Nox
 #6 
Old 2002-10-18, 01:19
Zheka Zheka is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fighting for "your" country

Maybe because you feel pride in the country your fathers and grandfathers died to protect. Is there know pride in England?
 #7 
Old 2002-10-18, 13:07
Regular
 
Default Re: Fighting for "your" country

quote:
Using apostrophe's is good.

Intentional mistake?
 #8 
Old 2002-10-18, 18:12
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fighting for "your" country

When diagraming the sentence, the subject: using, verb: is. Mistake: if so, totally unintentional.

Nox
 #9 
Old 2002-10-20, 21:44
RejectJC RejectJC is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fighting for "your" country

I dont mind if you fight for your country if thats what you want to do. It just pisses me off when they draft you and you have to fight because of luck of a draw. I disagree with drafting and i feel its pathetic and useless. I feel the goverment has no right to force people to go out and die when they are not willing to. If USA is all about freedom they wouldnt allow that to happen thats just one thing out of many that i disagree with. I dont mind if you fight for your country, its just like if someone came up and was going to burn your home down your gonna fight for your house. But it just depends on the person and i feel like if you dont want to fight you shouldnt be forced to because of a draft.
 #10 
Old 2002-10-20, 22:12
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fighting for "your" country

quote:
Originally posted by RejectJC:
I disagree with drafting and i feel its pathetic and useless.


I assume you are talking about countries other that the US. The US has an all-volunteer force.

The fact that you were required by law to register for the draft within days of your 18th birthday is a far cry from actually being drafted.

If you take a look at our opponents in the Gulf War, the majority of that force consisted of conscripts (aka draftees). Throughout history, conscripts have been horrible soldiers (as you would be as a conscript). The professional soldiers want a conscript by their side in battle as much as they would want an upset rattlesnake beside them.

Save yourself piles of worry and anguish over the draft bit. No one in your life-time has been drafted (in the USA), and short of an extremely critical, dire emergency, no one will be either.

Nox
 #11 
Old 2002-10-21, 20:51
RejectJC RejectJC is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fighting for "your" country

i was referring to all countries in general, and USA. I know drafting wont happen in USA for this war because there is so many volunteers but it could happen in the future in some other wars.
 #12 
Old 2002-10-21, 22:05
Renegade Renegade is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fighting for "your" country

I wouldnt fight for my country at this moment in time i dont know why but i just wouldnt.

If i could of fought in one war it would of been for Tibet when China invaded - those guys didnt do a thing to stir a war and i believe that that war was a war which needed to be fought from a lot of countrys that said NO.

Peace Renegade,
 #13 
Old 2002-10-22, 02:00
Cassius Cassius is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fighting for "your" country

I would fight for my nation, but not for my state(as in the US). I think our government is filled with traitors and collaborators, and they should all do the nation a favor and kill themselves. I might fight in a revolt, but I'm not gonna fight in our army or even sign up for the SS.
 #14 
Old 2002-10-22, 18:48
4ot 4ot is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fighting for "your" country

quote:
Originally posted by Joe Boo:
It's also a basic instinct to be a wolf and not a sheep.

have you been to a mall lately?
 #15 
Old 2002-10-22, 18:51
4ot 4ot is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fighting for "your" country

speaking of the draft: i didnt get my drivers liscence til i was 21. strangely enough i didnt get my selective service papers sent to me til about 3 months after i got my liscence.
 #16 
Old 2002-10-22, 19:01
MaijinKai MaijinKai is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fighting for "your" country

quote:
Originally posted by Nox:
In your topic Real Terrorists, I mentioned capitalization. This time I'll talk about the apostrophe. Using apostrophe's is good.

Nox



dont get me wrong, this isnt fighting talk but y r apostrophes so good? hehe im assuming u meant i should use them but y? they are there to signify something belonging to something or a missing letter, using them with a plural is incorrect
 #17 
Old 2002-11-04, 21:39
lifezucks lifezucks is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fighting for "your" country

FUCK YOU THIS IS THE GREATEST CONTRY IN THE WORLD EVEN THOUGH IT'S PRIORITYS ARE KIND OF FUCKED UP RIGHT NOW. IF I WAS BORN IN A DIFFERENT COUNTRY I WOULD MOVE TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.( Not that all of the other countries are bad)(but mine is better)

-kick ass
 #18 
Old 2002-11-04, 22:21
A-F Army A-F Army is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fighting for "your" country

quote:
Originally posted by Nox:

The fact that you were required by law to register for the draft within days of your 18th birthday is a far cry from actually being drafted.



Correct me if I am wrong, but I heard that they were thinking of bringing back the draft. (Maybe its just a stupid rumor going round the History classes.)

Just for the record, I disagree with the draft and believe that going to war and fighting should be something that you choose on your own.
 #19 
Old 2002-11-18, 19:46
Sisyphus on speed Sisyphus on speed is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fighting for "your" country

If your name means what I think it does:

Anti-flag fucking rule.
 #20 
Old 2002-11-27, 02:40
Armed&Angry Armed&Angry is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fighting for "your" country

1) Sisyphus speaks the truth - Anti Flag does indeed fucking rule.

2) I would consider it an honor to die for my country. For instance, if another nation directly assaulted the United States or violated its territorial integrity. However, I refuse to go off and die in a foreign land for what seems more and more like a geostrategic pissing contest.
 #21 
Old 2002-11-27, 02:44
buttthrax buttthrax is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fighting for "your" country

Yea, dude.

Straight-edge, vegan hardcore 4 life!!!

(Ha!)
 #22 
Old 2002-11-27, 02:52
buttthrax buttthrax is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fighting for "your" country

quote:
Originally posted by Armed&Angry:
1) Sisyphus speaks the truth - Anti Flag does indeed fucking rule.

2) I would consider it an honor to die for my country. For instance, if another nation directly assaulted the United States or violated its territorial integrity. However, I refuse to go off and die in a foreign land for what seems more and more like a geostrategic pissing contest.



So you like the music?...

Anti flag has the gayest political viewpoints. Given I like their music. However, don't buy into their bullshit.

This political punk crap makes no sense. They are the most selfish of all. They would not fight to defend the freedoms of others. They think that it is pretty cool to be oppressed. Seriously, they want oppresion, just so they can bitch! They think making money is bad. They [U]must[/U] be poor.

They make no effort to change shit.

Now, I like some punk. Listen to NOFX's "Liberal Animation", now that makes sense. Given that the album is half-assed, read the lyrics. They talk shit about peace punks and vegetarians.
 #23 
Old 2002-11-27, 05:34
XeNobiTe XeNobiTe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fighting for "your" country

quote:
Originally posted by lifezucks:
FUCK YOU THIS IS THE GREATEST CONTRY IN THE WORLD EVEN THOUGH IT'S PRIORITYS ARE KIND OF FUCKED UP RIGHT NOW. IF I WAS BORN IN A DIFFERENT COUNTRY I WOULD MOVE TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.( Not that all of the other countries are bad)(but mine is better)

-kick ass



WoW, arrogance on a whole new level. Dude, you got to teach me how to do that.

 #24 
Old 2002-12-01, 05:08
A-F Army A-F Army is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fighting for "your" country

First off I am not straight edge nor vegan, however there is nothing wrong with being straight edge or vegan...

quote:
Originally posted by buttthrax:
So you like the music?...



Yes, I do....

quote:
Originally posted by buttthrax:

Anti flag has the gayest political viewpoints.



Homophobia... Thats sad.....

quote:
Originally posted by buttthrax:

They would not fight to defend the freedoms of others.



Your mad because they refuse to go fight. Oh and by the way they are defending the freedoms of others, freedom of speach is one of them.

quote:
Originally posted by buttthrax:

They think that it is pretty cool to be oppressed. Seriously, they want oppresion, just so they can bitch! They think making money is bad. They [U]must[/U] be poor.



They want oppression... Holy shit, really hope that is sarcasm. They don't want opression, they speak out against it.
They are not exactly rich... Do you see em on MTV? Do you hear about them charging $100 for a show?

quote:
Originally posted by buttthrax:
They make no effort to change shit.



Really? Well I guess them going to play at an Anti-War protests isn't trying to change.
Now they make no effort to change.... Hmm.... Lets see, they go around writing lyrics teaching people to think for themselves. It shows people a whole new look at the world. Still don't get me? Take all the goddamn propaganda going around, now Anti-Flag is like reverse propaganda. Propaganda is used to make people think something. Anti-Flag spreads truth, makes people question their "Heavenly" capitalistic nation, instead of allowing them to fall slaves to mindless nationalism.
Butthrax, I have seen your posts and I have to say you make good points, and I agree with you on many of them. However on this one I put my foot down. Anti-Flag changed me when I first read through there lyrics a long, long, long time ago, when I heard "Their system doesn't work for you." Since they changed me, and I now they changed many others, obiviously they are making a change.

quote:
Originally posted by buttthrax:

Now, I like some punk. Listen to NOFX's "Liberal Animation", now that makes sense. Given that the album is half-assed, read the lyrics. They talk shit about peace punks and vegetarians.



Yes I agree, good album. However it doesn't talk shit about peace punks, it talks about hipocritical, poseur peace punks. (The ones who talk but don't do shit basically.) They do bash vegetarians though.
 #25 
Old 2002-12-06, 00:51
TheLaUghiNgHeretic TheLaUghiNgHeretic is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fighting for "your" country

I dont really see much of a point in fighting for my country in a war, either way people are gonna die on both sides, and either way the government is going to cover up as much truth about the war as possible, if ya dont believe me, you should take a look at the Gulf War
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics