About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > News of the World
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News of the World Current events discussion and links to stuff that's happening right now. Who needs CNN when you have totse?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-09-14, 00:36
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default American pilots charged

I just heard on the news that the US F-16 pilots who bombed the Canadians in Afghanistan are being charged with criminal charges.

I am a former US military and from what information I have thus far (they were not cleared to attack and were specifically told not to) these clowns deserve the death penalty.

I will be curious to see the opinions from our Canadian Totse members. Be careful, Nox is advocating the death penalty.

Nox
 #2 
Old 2002-09-14, 00:57
Joe Boo Joe Boo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: American pilots charged

For negligence, sure, they do deserve it.
 #3 
Old 2002-09-14, 23:47
badforhealth badforhealth is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: American pilots charged

i just find its funny that these dumbos dropped a bomb on their allies. i mean how in god's name can a professional pilot do as such?
 #4 
Old 2002-09-15, 04:40
4ot 4ot is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: American pilots charged

american forces do seem to have a high rate of friendly fire incidents. does anyone know how we compare to other countries? if i remember correctly, in the first gulf war we lost more people to FF than to enemy fire.
 #5 
Old 2002-09-15, 04:57
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: American pilots charged

After flying countless hours without doing anything, I could see how they would get trigger happy and anxious for some action. That's no excuse and they should be held accountable. They are after all dealing with people's lives.
 #6 
Old 2002-09-15, 15:50
Regular
 
Default Re: American pilots charged

No need for the death penalty. A lengthy period of incarceration should be enough. Being a dumbass isn't the same as being a war criminal.

I don't expect they'll be flying hang gliders in future, let alone F-16s.
 #7 
Old 2002-09-15, 16:00
Renegade Renegade is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: American pilots charged

Didnt American attack British soldiers in the Gulf ?

Peace Renegade,
 #8 
Old 2002-09-15, 17:15
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: American pilots charged

quote:
Originally posted by FuckOffandDie:
No need for the death penalty. A lengthy period of incarceration should be enough. Being a dumbass isn't the same as being a war criminal.


True. But flagrantly disobeying a direct order is...especially when folks get killed/wounded. That is why the military has a command structure. Even more repugnant is the fact that one of those charged was the Squadron Commander. This goes way beyond mere dumbass and/or "the fog of war" which is a true (but poor) rationalization of what happened to the Brits in the Gulf War.

Nox
 #9 
Old 2002-09-15, 18:19
Regular
 
Default Re: American pilots charged

Let the Canadian families shoot at their heads with potato guns. That would be some way to die.
 #10 
Old 2002-09-15, 19:04
Viper2002 Viper2002 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: American pilots charged

Yeah it�s a disgrace that this could have ever happened, I would assume it would be bad enough finding out your son had been killed in battle with the enemy never mind killed by rogue allied pilots who should be protecting them and have been entrusted with power over them. I could think of a few good reasons to try to explain why these pilots chose to do what they did but at the end of the day no excuse is good enough, if you join the military you hand over power to someone one else these pilots decided to disobey this fundamental rule of the military with deadly consequences for innocent allied soldiers. I do think their sentence should be light though depending on there service history to their country, I probably sound soft but I wouldn�t want to see them doing above ten years assuming they have a good history and this was a one off fuckup that went so wrong for them.

v i p e r 2 0 0 2
 #11 
Old 2002-09-15, 23:01
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: American pilots charged

quote:
Originally posted by Viper2002:
I do think their sentence should be light though depending on there service history to their country, I probably sound soft but I wouldn�t want to see them doing above ten years assuming they have a good history and this was a one off fuckup that went so wrong for them.


If these clowns were a couple butter bars right out of UPT I might agree. These were both Majors- One was the Squadron Commander. And yes, they will not get the death penalty...but a light sentence...I hope not.

I am surprised at the lack of outrage expressed in this topic. It is a far cry from what was said when the initial topic was posted. Back then, I wanted the facts out before I reacted. Well, now the facts are out, I'm reacting, and it appears everyone else is calling for calm. Not me.

The responsibility of command is awesome. We do not have Lt William Caley or Capt Ernest Medina (ordinary ground grunts following orders). We have two Majors, one of whom is a decision maker and who FAILED to follow orders (as opposed to the Lt and Capt who were FOLLOWING orders).

I am not over-reacting here. And both those clowns can thank Allah I won't be on their Court Martial Board.

Nos
 #12 
Old 2002-09-17, 04:26
ScrewThirdHeartbeat ScrewThirdHeartbeat is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: American pilots charged

I would agree with them getting the death penalty if only I supported such a thing. Did any of them offer a public apology?
 #13 
Old 2002-09-17, 10:12
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: American pilots charged

quote:
Originally posted by ScrewThirdHeartbeat:
Did any of them offer a public apology?


You jest.

Nox
 #14 
Old 2002-09-17, 20:16
Canyonero Canyonero is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: American pilots charged

I don't know military rules, but what they committed seems to be manslaughter, which is criminally different by definition from murder. I think the death penalty would be a bit harsh, but life in prison with the knowledge of the innocent men they killed would be punishment enough.
 #15 
Old 2002-09-19, 20:20
LutherX LutherX is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: American pilots charged

quote:
True. But flagrantly disobeying a direct order is...especially when folks get killed/wounded. That is why the military has a command structure. Even more repugnant is the fact that one of those charged was the Squadron Commander. This goes way beyond mere dumbass and/or "the fog of war" which is a true (but poor) rationalization of what happened to the Brits in the Gulf War.


Actually, disobeying a direct order in times of war is/can be considered treason, and as such is most definitely grounds for the death penalty.

 #16 
Old 2002-10-15, 07:47
hellis hellis is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: American pilots charged

If they did bomb us purposely then I would agree with a trip to the gas chamber (not all of us are opposed to the death penalty) I doubt that was the case, if they did, it would piss off alot more countries then mine.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics