About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Art > Printed Matter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Printed Matter Books, Magazines, and Newpapers. What you read and why you read it. Favorite authors, magazines you read, recommendations for future reading, unusual books and where to purchase them, and sources of strange mail.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-08, 16:13
MagusWarlock MagusWarlock is offline
Regular
 
Default Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Any of you fans of the SciFi/Fantasy genre?

That's all I usually read on fiction books, though the few normal books I've read are usually pretty good.

Let's here some favorites, if any of the genre.

My favorite Sci Fi author of all time has to be Neil Gaiman. His two books Neverwhere and American Gods are possibly my favorites of all time.

Other good SciFi books I've read were 'The I Inside', 'Infinity Beach', and 'Archangel' (Which is strangly SciFi, Fantasy and Romance all rolled into one...)

I could go on, but my all time favorite book is a tie between Neverwhere and American Gods.

Magus
 #2 
Old 2002-12-08, 19:12
quandary quandary is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Favourite sci-fi authors:

Asimov
Dick
Disch
 #3 
Old 2002-12-08, 19:56
brainuser brainuser is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy

The two greatest sci-fi authors are Asimov and Herbert. Foundation and Dune are the two greatest sci-fi serieses.
 #4 
Old 2002-12-10, 01:35
shadow knight shadow knight is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy

i'd say, that for fantasy novels, the series called "the magic of xanth" (it's pronounced zanth) by Piers Anthony is quite funny. you'd be surprised at how many nude, fighting, contemplating and "blonde moment" scenes there are in the series.
anywho, that's my 2-cents worth

Shadow Knight

P.S. that's CANADIAN cents!
 #5 
Old 2002-12-10, 03:03
StonedPoet StonedPoet is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Fantasy would be Feist's Riftwar Saga, and Feist's works in general. I think mostly because I was young when I read them, and I really enjoyed them, and it transferred over.

Scif-fi is the Otherland series. I've only read the first book (City of Golden Shadow) and am in the process of the second (River of Blue Flame). There are four in the series I believe, and so far I love them.

Tad Williams is the author, I believe...

Tata
~SP
 #6 
Old 2002-12-17, 23:27
Ignotum Per Igotius Ignotum Per Igotius is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy

I used to be a huge Fantasy reader

I always enjoyed
L.O.R. - Tolkien nuff said
Wheel of Time - Jordan rocks
The Riftwar Saga - it was stupendous to say the least
The Dragonlance stuff - weiss and hickman knew how to write some good stuff
The Thomas Covenant stuff by stephen donaldson etc etc
oh and ray bradbury - farenheit 451 one of my fav books ever

 #7 
Old 2002-12-17, 23:49
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Anything of Bradbury.
 #8 
Old 2002-12-18, 18:50
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy

I'd have to agree with Gaiman being a great fantasy author. He blends realism and fantasy very well.

Terry Pratchett is good as well. Thief of Time is a good book of his (as well as Good Omens, which he worked on with Neil Gaiman).

I read the Year's Best Fantasy and Horror collections a lot now. They have a lot of good stories by many good authors.
 #9 
Old 2002-12-18, 21:33
Quantized Quantized is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy

I'd have to give a second vote to Tad Williams Otherland. I read the series a while ago, it's probably one of the best series I've read in any genre.
 #10 
Old 2002-12-19, 19:02
Sol463 Sol463 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Anvil of Stars: by Greg Bear

[This message has been edited by Sol463 (edited 12-23-2002).]
 #11 
Old 2002-12-22, 21:05
Alykorn Alykorn is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy

My favorite fantasy is Mercedes Lacky with the "Valdemar" series. Pires Anthony is good also, I have the entire Xanth collection.
I mainly write, live and read fantasy. Not much into SciFi but "Archangel" is a good book.So is Jovah's Angel the next book.
 #12 
Old 2002-12-24, 05:28
Armed&Angry Armed&Angry is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy

If you've never read Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series, or "Guns of the South," my heart bleeds for you.
 #13 
Old 2003-01-13, 06:23
Anercian Chicken Killer Anercian Chicken Killer is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Battletech,LOR,Star Trek/Wars,Dune
and many others.
 #14 
Old 2003-01-13, 07:41
Mr. Orange Mr. Orange is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy

The Dune series by Frank Herbert for sci-fi, and probably Terry Pratchett/Tolkien for fantasy.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Orange (edited 01-13-2003).]
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics