About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Art > Printed Matter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Printed Matter Books, Magazines, and Newpapers. What you read and why you read it. Favorite authors, magazines you read, recommendations for future reading, unusual books and where to purchase them, and sources of strange mail.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-11-24, 02:50
DaHc DaHc is offline
Regular
 
Default 1984

Thoughts?

~Mai Ancora

[This message has been edited by DaHc (edited 11-24-2002).]
 #2 
Old 2002-11-24, 05:17
Sol463 Sol463 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 1984

It appears to be four numbers placed together.
 #3 
Old 2002-11-24, 13:24
Doug-44 Doug-44 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 1984

that book kicks ass, orwell was ahead of his time. if you liked 1984, read PHILLIP DICK books. he is way better.
 #4 
Old 2002-11-24, 15:06
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: 1984

If 1984 kicked ass, what do Phillip Dick books do?

1984 was very good. Plusgood I'd say. It brought up a good, though not original, point and presented it in a very entertaining manner.

Read Anthem by Ayn Rand.
 #5 
Old 2002-11-24, 19:09
Doug-44 Doug-44 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 1984

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xenosss:
[B]If 1984 kicked ass, what do Phillip Dick books do?

what do you mean "what do phillip dicks book do?
 #6 
Old 2002-11-25, 00:07
govinda govinda is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 1984

I think he means in relation to

What was your very good point about 1984 xenosss?
I haven't read Anthem, but I've read Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugs... although I know I shouldn't of done I did actually enjoyed both books - that was a couple of years ago though (i think it was in the same way I would enjoy a fantasy book rather than her beliefs)... but by now I might be suitably closed minded.
 #7 
Old 2002-11-25, 01:26
Regular
 
VA
Default Re: 1984

What do you mean unoriginal? He was the first to do something like that.

Ayn Rand used to be my favorite author. Then I turned 11. I hope the reference was in a negative context. (I can't quite recall.)
 #8 
Old 2002-11-26, 00:19
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: 1984

I was unaware of Ayn Rand being an author suited only for the younger folk. No, it wasn't meant in a negative way.

1984, like Brave New World and Anthem and The Machine Stops and This Perfect Day, is about a utopia (or anti-utopia). All those books (and the one short story) have similar themes. I meant theme, not as much point. I wouldn't say Orwell was the first, since Rand predated him by many years.

And yes, I meant in relation, sort of. If 1984 kicks ass, and Dick is better, does Dick totally just rape ass?
 #9 
Old 2002-11-26, 03:43
A_M_P A_M_P is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 1984

Sol463: I salute your superiour snarking abilities. I was LMAO.
 #10 
Old 2002-11-26, 05:05
govinda govinda is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 1984

fountainhead and atlas shrugs hold the same kind of themes xenosss... a kind of pure utopian commercialism, and venefrigus I remember you mentioning ayn rand since I've known you which can't be longer than a year ago - also I remember thinking at the time how typical it was of you to like her.
 #11 
Old 2002-11-27, 23:26
Regular
 
VA
Default Re: 1984

I haven't mentioned Ayn Rand in a postive context since before I found TOTSE.

Unless I was joking.

1984 certaintly isn't Utopian, or anti-Utopian. It's Dystopian. People are being killed by missles from warring states, and all sorts of miseries are existent among the proles.
 #12 
Old 2002-11-28, 04:44
govinda govinda is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 1984

you don't really know there is war... thats just what they tell you.
 #13 
Old 2002-11-28, 21:48
ryanthemeister ryanthemeister is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 1984

I'm halfway through it just now. Winston has just joined the Brotherhood. Good stuff. Orwell was definetely before his time. Scary shit.
 #14 
Old 2002-11-29, 13:46
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: 1984

Ah, yeah, that's the word. I couldn't remember it (dystopian). What's wrong with Ayn Rand?
 #15 
Old 2002-11-29, 17:58
Regular
 
VA
Default Re: 1984

If there's no war, why do they keep switching the statue between Eurasia and Eastasia?

Ayn Rand is a failed philosopher, her stories contain malapropos sex scenes that distract from the plot, and the style is horrible. The morals are too transparent and advocate overproduction.
 #16 
Old 2002-11-30, 03:06
Alligator Jack Alligator Jack is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 1984

ive read the fountain head, i really liked it, but i think the reason shes a failed philosopher is because her characters are too unattainable
 #17 
Old 2002-11-30, 05:51
govinda govinda is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 1984

ahh I see venefrigus - if things are too clear it must mean bad philosophy?

they change the statue means they change the statue - it is beneficiary if the populace thinks there is war all the time - that doesn't mean there is... no outsiders are ever met, for all we know the other two countries could have been destroyed already.
 #18 
Old 2002-11-30, 09:03
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: 1984

quote:
Originally posted by DaHc:
Thoughts?




The world is becoming more and more like it with each passing day.
 #19 
Old 2002-11-30, 16:17
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: 1984

Well, I've only read Anthem so I can't comment on Ayn Rand as being an altogether good or bad author. I enjoyed Anthem. It was simple yet deep. It was definitely the first, or at least before Orwell and Huxley, that dealt with a dystopia.

With 1984, it's made clear that the two other countries do indeed exist. You're just left wondering if the war is real or not. I can't see it being real since it seems unrealistic that the enemy would change so quickly and so frequently.
 #20 
Old 2002-12-01, 03:53
Regular
 
VA
Default Re: 1984

Why would they destroy the other two countries? The war is useful to them. They'd change the statue because they were shifting alliances for some reason or another.
 #21 
Old 2002-12-01, 03:59
Regular
 
VA
Default Re: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeneFrigus
Why would they destroy the other two countries? The war is useful to them. They'd change the statue because they were shifting alliances for some reason or another.


The transparency is a reflection on the bad writing, not the bad philisophy.

Brave New World and Anthem are Anti-Utopian. 1984 is Dystopian. That is where the difference lies.

Brave New World was excellent because of it's positive identification of prominent social trends and it's following them to their logical conclusion.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics