About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Art > Printed Matter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Printed Matter Books, Magazines, and Newpapers. What you read and why you read it. Favorite authors, magazines you read, recommendations for future reading, unusual books and where to purchase them, and sources of strange mail.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-27, 01:03
DaHc DaHc is offline
Regular
 
Default Shrodinger's Cat

The GREATEST book ever. That was such a great book. I have to read it about 20 more times to fully understand it though. Robert Anton Wilson is a goddamned genious. He's in his 80's and he has the most disguisting mind imaginable. (Mary Margerette Wildblood and her beloved Ulysses). Now I have to read Illuminatus and every other book he's written. heh.
 #2 
Old 2002-10-28, 15:07
The_Famicommie The_Famicommie is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Shrodinger's Cat

Uh, really I thought that The Schrodingers Cat Trilogy was retarded. He wrote the book well after Cosmic Trigger and The Illuminatus Trilogy had shaped his role as an underground counter-culture leader. Most of the books he wrote after that are very egocentric, just Wilson tooting his own horn if you will. Most of his theories such as the SMART and RICH2 ideas are ridiculous idealisms that could never be accomplished, and, even worse, are thinly veiled ripoffs of Timothy Leary theories or Bucky Fuller theories. Also, Wilson establishes himself as an elitest in TSCT, which I found to be especially obnoxious...

If you really want to read his stuff, read Cosmic Trigger and The Illumintus! Trilogy. Be satiated with those.
 #3 
Old 2002-10-28, 18:57
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: Shrodinger's Cat

Fuck! I saw that book at my library for $0.50 and I didn't buy it. I have to hurry back now to get it. Hopefully it's still there.
 #4 
Old 2002-10-30, 02:05
The_Famicommie The_Famicommie is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Shrodinger's Cat

Which book xenosss?

Did you get the point of Ulysses DaHc?
 #5 
Old 2002-11-04, 22:23
DaHc DaHc is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Shrodinger's Cat

quote:
Originally posted by The_Famicommie:
Uh, really I thought that The Schrodingers Cat Trilogy was retarded. He wrote the book well after Cosmic Trigger and The Illuminatus Trilogy had shaped his role as an underground counter-culture leader. Most of the books he wrote after that are very egocentric, just Wilson tooting his own horn if you will. Most of his theories such as the SMART and RICH2 ideas are ridiculous idealisms that could never be accomplished, and, even worse, are thinly veiled ripoffs of Timothy Leary theories or Bucky Fuller theories. Also, Wilson establishes himself as an elitest in TSCT, which I found to be especially obnoxious...

If you really want to read his stuff, read Cosmic Trigger and The Illumintus! Trilogy. Be satiated with those.

Did you get the point of Ulysses DaHc?




lol of course i got the point. And I thought it was hilarious how every chapter he was able to mention how great he was. I love that arrogance in a story.
 #6 
Old 2002-11-04, 23:12
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: Shrodinger's Cat

Well, Schrodinger's Cat was still there when I got back. So I bought it (at the library) for a quarter. w00t. It's the Universe Next Door. DaHc, have you read all three of the series?

The Odysseus book by Carl Gustav Jung sounds interesting though I haven't been able to find anything about it.
 #7 
Old 2002-11-05, 15:19
The_Famicommie The_Famicommie is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Shrodinger's Cat

That book is a parallel in a parallel universe. In our reality it's called Ulysses, by James Joyce. It's the most acclaimed book of the 20th century. It was also banned in the US during the late twenties.
 #8 
Old 2002-11-05, 19:18
DaHc DaHc is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Shrodinger's Cat

quote:
Originally posted by xenosss:
Well, Schrodinger's Cat was still there when I got back. So I bought it (at the library) for a quarter. w00t. It's the Universe Next Door. DaHc, have you read all three of the series?

The Odysseus book by Carl Gustav Jung sounds interesting though I haven't been able to find anything about it.



The Shrodinger's Cat trilogy is the first I have read by Robert Anton Wilson. He has more than twenty books though that I have to read. I'm getting Illuminatus next.
 #9 
Old 2002-11-05, 20:30
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: Shrodinger's Cat

quote:
Originally posted by The_Famicommie:
That book is a parallel in a parallel universe. In our reality it's called Ulysses, by James Joyce. It's the most acclaimed book of the 20th century. It was also banned in the US during the late twenties.


Now I just feel stupid...
 #10 
Old 2002-11-06, 14:13
The_Famicommie The_Famicommie is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Shrodinger's Cat

Read Cosmic Trigger, and the Illuminatus Trilogy. After that, read the Illuminati Papers and you'll have gotten the best of his works and won't need to read the rest.
 #11 
Old 2002-11-06, 14:15
The_Famicommie The_Famicommie is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Shrodinger's Cat

quote:
Originally posted by xenosss:
Now I just feel stupid...


Don't. If you want to feel stupid, try reading Ulysses. I've been about 400 pages in for nearly 2 years...
 #12 
Old 2002-11-06, 22:54
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: Shrodinger's Cat

I read the first two pages and I'm already confused.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics