About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Art > Printed Matter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Printed Matter Books, Magazines, and Newpapers. What you read and why you read it. Favorite authors, magazines you read, recommendations for future reading, unusual books and where to purchase them, and sources of strange mail.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-09-16, 20:58
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default Alan Watts

Anyone familiar with his works or any of the other "intellectuals" of that era? I've studied a lot of the philosophies of that era but I don't know much about Alan Watts and he's been recommended to me several times, but I don't know where to begin.

Is there anything I should start with?

Cheers,
Lost
 #2 
Old 2002-09-25, 22:31
Regular
 
The land of milk and honey
Default Re: Alan Watts

Yea Allan Watts is good. Another of the early pioneers of the mod and beatniks, like Kerouac. I read a collected works of his called howl and other poems. Also, if you can, find the audio of Tom Waits reading allan watts america over piano. Good stuff.
 #3 
Old 2002-09-25, 22:34
Regular
 
The land of milk and honey
Default Re: Alan Watts

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_sage=heaven
Yea Allan Watts is good. Another of the early pioneers of the mod and beatniks, like Kerouac. I read a collected works of his called howl and other poems. Also, if you can, find the audio of Tom Waits reading allan watts america over piano. Good stuff.
 #4 
Old 2002-10-09, 21:33
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default Re: Alan Watts

Um... Alan Watts didn't write Howl or America. Allen Ginsberg did.

Alan Watts was a philosopher of that era. Like Ain Rand.

Cheers,
Lost
 #5 
Old 2002-10-10, 03:42
Regular
 
The land of milk and honey
Default Re: Alan Watts

Oh wait, I know who your talking about now, he wrote on alot of eastern philosophies. My mom's into that guy. Not say he isn't good reading, I liked what iv'e read.
 #6 
Old 2002-10-13, 02:15
Regular
 
The land of milk and honey
Default Re: Alan Watts

Yea, I just found a bunch of his books which are all really interesting. Nature man and woman, the watercourse way and the taboo against knowing who you are.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics