About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Art > Printed Matter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Printed Matter Books, Magazines, and Newpapers. What you read and why you read it. Favorite authors, magazines you read, recommendations for future reading, unusual books and where to purchase them, and sources of strange mail.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-08-16, 02:49
Agent Boris_KGB Agent Boris_KGB is offline
Regular
 
Default Comic Books

I've noticed that we have some comic collectors on this fourm so i was wondering what are some of your favourites,I'm talking about your favourite characters,issues,artists.Im interested in what you punks are reading these days...
 #2 
Old 2002-08-16, 12:36
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: Comic Books

Let's see...

I was reading Planetary before the artist (John Cassaday) moved to the new Captain America comic. I pick up Promethea (Alan Moore), a bunch of the CrossGen titles (Ruse, Scion, Mystic, Sojourn), all four of the Superman titles even though they aren't so good, JLA, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, the Punisher, Queen and Country and a few other miniseries now and then. I've always got recommendations.

What do you read?
 #3 
Old 2002-08-16, 15:29
Agent Boris_KGB Agent Boris_KGB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Comic Books

everything ,I love to see how bad under ground comics are getting these days but some are actually pretty good.
 #4 
Old 2002-08-29, 02:34
runaway runaway is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Comic Books

I only read a few comics...Peter Parker, Spiderman; Stray Bullets (el capitan comix), and Pendelum (the ICP comics from Chaos!). I hope the new Static X comics come out before Chaos! goes under..
 #5 
Old 2002-08-29, 13:37
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: Comic Books

Stray Bullets is a great series. I was going to mention it to Agent Boris but you said it first. Good, good reading. For some other not so underground but indie at least comics, Strangers In Paradise and Bone are good.
 #6 
Old 2002-08-29, 15:52
Renegade Renegade is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Comic Books

My favorites are.

Hell Cop
Masters of Kung FU
Gambit
Dark Knight
Wolf Pack

Masters of Kung Fu are really good but they are hard to get to and if you can they are really expensive.

Hell cop is really dark and pretty violent for a comic.

Gambit - best mutant to spawn from a comic.

Dark Knight - the greatest batman installment.

Wolf Pack - pure 80's comic book crime fun.

Peace Renegade,
 #7 
Old 2002-09-01, 16:40
Ulsterman Ulsterman is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Comic Books

Archie & Jughead meet the Punisher--

classic issue
 #8 
Old 2002-09-05, 22:30
EmULAter EmULAter is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Comic Books

I stick to the oldies but goodies when it comes to comics. I like Mutant X, Spawn, X-men, and so on. I also like almost any comic with the letter �X� in the title.
 #9 
Old 2002-09-07, 15:43
Doug-44 Doug-44 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Comic Books

im into the comedy side of comics, i dont mean like sunday newspaper kiddie comics, check out To Much Coffee Man. http://www.tmcm.com/

to much coffe man is sort of like an indie comic,
http://www.ryaninteractive.com/comicvault/indie.htm

[This message has been edited by Doug-44 (edited 09-07-2002).]
 #10 
Old 2002-09-12, 04:47
soda soda is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Comic Books

my favorite comic strip is Red Meat its fucking hilarious http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/

 #11 
Old 2002-09-16, 15:16
Slyck Slyck is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Comic Books

My favorite writer is Warren Ellis and Transmetropolitan but the just ended this last month, cassada is still doing planetary but he's a little behing. And the greatest comic series of all time was Neil Giman's Sandman.

Other good series:

Deadpool(now Agent X)
Astro City
Ultimate Spiderman
Black Panther
Daredevil
Powers
 #12 
Old 2002-09-16, 17:17
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: Comic Books

Cassaday has put Planetary on hold. He'll go back to it once he's done with Captain America.
 #13 
Old 2002-09-16, 20:09
Renegade Renegade is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Comic Books

Daredevil was good when Kevin Smith got involved.

Peace Renegade,
 #14 
Old 2002-09-16, 22:09
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: Comic Books

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade:
Daredevil was good when Kevin Smith got involved.




And Frank Miller.

*is ashamed*

[This message has been edited by xenosss (edited 09-17-2002).]
 #15 
Old 2002-09-17, 00:15
RedBananaMonkey RedBananaMonkey is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Comic Books

SOme of the new stuff is good, but if you haven't read these, then you don't know comics well enough...
*Ostrander/Mandrake's Spectre series
*Book of MAgic (the original mini-series)
*The Golden Age (mini-series)
*Anything Frank Miller puts his name on
*ditto Alan Moore
*double ditto Neil Gaiman

oh, and if you haven't admired the artwork of Joseph Michael Linsner (ahem...DAWN) then you have missed out!!!

 #16 
Old 2002-09-17, 16:58
mcfryed mcfryed is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Comic Books

zap comics
fabulous furry freak brothers
anything by skip williamson
 #17 
Old 2002-09-17, 18:56
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: Comic Books

I think Marvel, DC and Crossgen are the big three now. Image and Top Cow are out of it. Crossgen has some of the best artists. DC and Marvel of course have the best artists and writers working for them. I'd have to say I'm a Marvel/Crossgen fan though. I used to get JLA but now it's gone a little downhill.
 #18 
Old 2002-09-19, 03:38
rev_DXM rev_DXM is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Comic Books

i used to be a huge comic collecter, but i got outta the game a few years back. however, my favorite series of all time is definately Quantum and Woody. probably the most intelligent and underrated series in comicdom.
 #19 
Old 2002-09-19, 16:58
Slyck Slyck is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Comic Books

Yeah Q&W rocked. The writer went on to write Black Panther with pretty much the same style so that one's is good to.
 #20 
Old 2002-09-21, 06:19
Dishliquid Dishliquid is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Comic Books

I like the stuff Dark Horse publishes. Slave Labor comes out with cool shit too, though it has a whiny goth kind of thing.
Jhonen Vasquez is a genius, but the ultimate counterculture comic series is motherfuckin' Tank Girl. But the movie is more valuable if you wanna see how shitty the movie-comic crossover can get. Though the first Batman movie was decent, the next three were like canned bullshit. Spiderman kicked ass.
Superman (the comic) always sort of ticked me off. It was so damn American. Any superhero who wears tights should be shot, except Spiderman and Batman, but it would be too depressing to see what they've done with my childhood idols these days, because MAINSTREAM COMICS SUCK!!!
Crossgen's on to something though.
 #21 
Old 2002-09-23, 17:24
The_Famicommie The_Famicommie is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Comic Books

Arsenic Lullaby.

Ghost World and Caricatures.

Maus.

Battle Chasers.

The X-Men 2099 series.

Anything in the Strife saga.

Spiderman variations.
 #22 
Old 2002-09-23, 18:24
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: Comic Books

*has sex with Famicommie*
Oh no.. better hide the baby... the census workers will get it.

I found Ghost World to be okay, not that good. The movie was pointless, the ending in the comic was much better.

Maus is and will always be a spectacular comic book.

Battle Chasers is good when it comes out... Damn you Madeuria (sp?)!!

All the more realistic comics (like Authority and Batman) where they either don't fight supervillians as much or at least things that happen could happen in real life (if superheroes really did exist) are much better than Superman and such. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is another good example of this. And Scion and Ruse and...
 #23 
Old 2002-09-24, 02:25
The_Famicommie The_Famicommie is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Comic Books

Really? I liked Ghost World a lot. As in the movie and the comic book. The movie was well acted, written, and directed. Prolly one of the best movies of that year. I liked the fact that I knew a lot of people who are representitive of the different clique's throughout the movie. I liked the comic more, true dat, but is the movie ever better than the book?
 #24 
Old 2002-10-09, 03:04
Regular
 
The land of milk and honey
Default Re: Comic Books

I'm a huge fan of cerebus or anything else Dave Sim puts out. Ash was a great series, Joe Quesada is an amazing artist. I have the entire appleseed collection because I'm a Masamune Shirow fanatic (Joe Maduria praises this guy as the god of anime). I love Neil Gainman's work wether it be books or comics, the same goes for Alan Moore. Frank Miller is also a master, Dark Knight and Sin city both rocked. Warren ellsi kicks ass. Man, theres too many to list.

I'm a big fan of strange takes on the classics. Earth x was fucking amazing, so was marvels and kingdom come, Alex ross's paintings are drool worthy.
 #25 
Old 2002-10-09, 19:39
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: Comic Books

I enjoy the whole Earth X, Paradise X series though sometimes it becomes a little confusing. He did this? He is really who? What?! Yeah.. it's good.

Kingdom Come is right up there with my favorites (along with Watchmen, Batman: Long Halloween/Dark Victory, Planetary and Batman: Year One.
 #26 
Old 2002-10-09, 21:29
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default Re: Comic Books

Gloom Cookie, Squee, Love and Rockets, that's pretty much it. There's some others I read but not ritualistically.

Cheers,
Lost
 #27 
Old 2002-10-31, 03:18
likuidsmoke likuidsmoke is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Comic Books

Spider man: Maximum Carnage--blood death and gore in NYC all thanks to the crimsom sybiote

Death and the return of superman: the catylyst and the defining moment of comicdoms turning point and the coming years are defined from these stories

Crisis on Infinie Earths/Zero Hour: I love anykind of massive crossover in which reality is bent, anything and everythign can happen all at once.

Kingdom come/Marvels:
Different universes, one of the past and the orgions, the other of the end and the tribulation. With enough art to fill 3 museums (all of it worthy thereof) Alex Ross rules.

X Men: Age of apocolypse: Great Story, great concept, fuck with teh continuity and change everything back but have it matter somewhat.

best comic story ever read:
Amazing Spider Man (2nd vol) #38
right afer teh WTC attack, written by J M Strazynski, poignient and telling it just as it is, from our point of view, but detached.

======we live each day in a strike of infinite justice but in reality it is infinte wisdom we seek======
 #28 
Old 2002-10-31, 19:40
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: Comic Books

I didn't like the Spiderman WTC story. Dr. Doom cries? It was stupid. It would have been much better if the WTC attacks had been left alone.
 #29 
Old 2002-11-03, 11:30
demonbob demonbob is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Comic Books

I'm a big fan of any D.C title, especially any Batman titles, but I also like Green Arrow and Action Comics.

The Jay and Silent Bob comics and the Tank Girl comics were great also.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics