About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Art > Printed Matter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Printed Matter Books, Magazines, and Newpapers. What you read and why you read it. Favorite authors, magazines you read, recommendations for future reading, unusual books and where to purchase them, and sources of strange mail.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-05-24, 19:22
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default Dostoyevski

I'm reading Notes From The Underground right now and I'm kind of excited about it because so many people have told me that reading this has changed their lives and so forth. I got a compilation book of his and this one is in it.

Kind of reminds me of a cross between Steppenwolfe and Catcher In The Rye. I mean, the guy sounds like a cross between Hermann and Holden.

Anyways, I'm still near the beginning. Just thought I'd put this out there.

Cheers,
Lost
 #2 
Old 2002-05-29, 17:18
sirenoftitan sirenoftitan is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dostoyevski

I absolutely adored notes from teh underground. it certainly didn't change my life but it was a kick ass book, one of the best existentialist novels i've read. post again when you've finished, i Love to talk about this book
 #3 
Old 2002-06-16, 23:53
rambo_jane rambo_jane is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dostoyevski

thanks for reminding me, ive been meaning to pick that up. once i do, id be happy to contribute to conversation.

ps. notes from thee underground is also a kickass pigface album. but i digress...
 #4 
Old 2002-06-22, 18:15
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default Re: Dostoyevski

I finished Notes From Underground, In The Hospital, and Dream Of A Ridiculous Man.

I was very touched by all of them. And I'm still mulling over Dream Of A Ridiculous Man. It almost makes me question my nihilism...

Cheers,
Lost
 #5 
Old 2002-06-22, 18:52
junglist junglist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dostoyevski

now its time to move on to the novels. the brothers karamazov is one of my favorites ever. is it just me, or are russian writers from that period not just fucking great?

the "the grand inquisitor" chapter of the brothers karamazov is something ive read hundreds of times, very thought provoking.
 #6 
Old 2002-08-06, 16:19
Regular
 
The land of milk and honey
Default Re: Dostoyevski

I've just started reading devils (his third major work I think) and I'm really enjoying it. His characters come off has genuinely human, at times I actually laugh at the crazy antics of Stepan Trofimovich which really seem like the responses of a real person. I also enjoy the writing style, Its a pretty thick read but it flows smoothly (chalk that up to the translator in part). Anyway, If anyone else has read this one I'd like to hear their opinion.
 #7 
Old 2002-08-07, 00:07
piggarro99 piggarro99 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dostoyevski

i read crime and punishment and would like to know if i have gained the right idea of it.

with out screaming off on a torrent, are we supposed to see that although you have not been caught you punish your self for your crimes until you either die or confess.

i say this as we see the mental breakdown of our main character as the police cheif tries to get him down.

what was the idea behind the book if that was not it???
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics