About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Art > Printed Matter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Printed Matter Books, Magazines, and Newpapers. What you read and why you read it. Favorite authors, magazines you read, recommendations for future reading, unusual books and where to purchase them, and sources of strange mail.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-05-07, 21:49
kingenrage kingenrage is offline
Regular
 
Default best stephen king book?

I guess the title says it all.
mine is the dark half and needfull things
 #2 
Old 2002-05-07, 22:11
SUPERKILLER1911 SUPERKILLER1911 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

The Shining or the short story Stand by me was based on ???forgot the title????
 #3 
Old 2002-05-10, 03:27
somerlost somerlost is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

Haven't read any King for some time. The story of his I like best is "The Fog" which was a short story published in Nightshift. The book I like best is The Gunslinger series. Still waiting for the last or next episode.
 #4 
Old 2002-05-19, 05:12
xengoreth xengoreth is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

The Dark Tower Series and the Stand are among my favorite books, all of which I read when I was in Junior High and High School (except for Wizard and Glass which came out more recently). The only recent work I have read by him was Hearts in Atlantis which was excellent.
 #5 
Old 2002-05-19, 22:24
DMT DMT is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

Insomnia. It has a spiritual undertone and is really emotional (not that other king novels aren't)
 #6 
Old 2002-05-20, 19:32
Axlenemo Axlenemo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

You all can't forget "IT" the clown wich was just in the minds of everyone in Derry,Maine.
It had the thoughts of childhood and as an adult.Anyone can relate to the life of at least one child or adult,going through the stages of life.
 #7 
Old 2002-05-21, 01:41
ScorchedWeasel ScorchedWeasel is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

IT and Misery would be my favorites
 #8 
Old 2002-05-22, 01:32
Shadow Spawn Shadow Spawn is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

Penny Wise the clown.

I haven't read very many Stephen King books as a matter of factly I have only read one "Pet Cemetery".

But I have watched "Misery", "Night Shift", "IT", "Pet Cemetery I/II" and "The Shining".

My all time favorite is "The Night Flier" simply because it defies all general morale endind... THE BAD GUY WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Shadow Spawn (edited 05-22-2002).]
 #9 
Old 2002-05-25, 22:52
Alex Jacobson Alex Jacobson is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

I would have to say thinner
 #10 
Old 2002-06-04, 11:43
Renegade Renegade is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

Misery or shining both r as good as each other.

Peace Renegade,
 #11 
Old 2002-06-14, 13:50
Brent Brent is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

Steven King can't write. If I had to chose, hmm....... The Shining.
 #12 
Old 2002-06-26, 09:11
Droogian Droogian is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

the one that didn't make it to print.
 #13 
Old 2002-06-26, 15:18
quandary quandary is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

the shawshank redemption, that makes me cry everytime i read it, + the long walk which he wrote as bachman i think
 #14 
Old 2002-06-30, 01:28
-=-goatboy-=- -=-goatboy-=- is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

Thinner was by far the worst book I've ever read by anyone of his caliber.
It was bad.

Insomnia was good, and the Dark Tower series is, while very different, very the same, and very good.

Shit, most of his stuff is top-notch shit.
 #15 
Old 2002-07-13, 00:51
NapalmNate505 NapalmNate505 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

Dolores Claiborne

I like the book, maybe because its the only Stephen King book I ever read.
 #16 
Old 2002-07-25, 15:49
lillmutt lillmutt is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

definatly it has to be "the talisman"111
 #17 
Old 2002-07-27, 20:18
Renegadeboy Renegadeboy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

steven king smokes herb
 #18 
Old 2002-07-29, 06:27
Joe Boo Joe Boo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

The Stand
 #19 
Old 2002-08-08, 17:54
Thoughtmonger Thoughtmonger is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

I like his Richard Bachman work.
 #20 
Old 2002-08-10, 17:07
Cokeboy Cokeboy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

I loved "The Talisman", mostly because I first read it when I was the same age as the boy in the book. I really liked "The Stand" because it was so epic in scope. And his Richard Bachman stuff was mostly excellent. Apart from that though he's not very good, and I've read most of his work through sheer boredom/lack of anything else in the house.
 #21 
Old 2002-08-11, 15:23
Regular
 
The land of milk and honey
Default Re: best stephen king book?

The Stand. I don't even like Steven King but I thought the stand was fucking awesome.
 #22 
Old 2002-08-13, 22:18
piggarro99 piggarro99 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

quote:
Originally posted by SUPERKILLER1911:
The Shining or the short story Stand by me was based on ???forgot the title????


the title of the book was called THE BODY and was part of the "changing seasons" it had on it needful things and the breathing method as well as rita hayworth and the shawshank redemption...
 #23 
Old 2002-08-13, 22:38
Sweet Victory Sweet Victory is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

The Shining wasn't bad at all but I think its the only Stephen King book I've ever read. Not really my style of writing.
 #24 
Old 2002-08-16, 16:32
quandary quandary is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

it was "different seasons" and contained apt pupil along with the others you mentioned, not "needful things"
 #25 
Old 2002-08-16, 17:21
piggarro99 piggarro99 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

your right, sorry about that...

i was getting mixed up with changing seasons by "James Herbert"

sorry everyone.

do you like shawshank redemption film\book quandary
 #26 
Old 2002-08-28, 10:18
ryanthemeister ryanthemeister is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

The Stand is excellent & so is Insomnia. I also liked Desperation about the mining town. Short stories that are worth a mention include The Body (Stand By Me was based on it), The Long Walk, The Running Man (Brilliant), The Mist (Not The Fog as someone wrote - Thats by James Herbert but thats good as well), and loads of others are good too.
Christine is probably one of my favorites though - I so want a 1958 Plymouth Fury.
One thing I like about King's writing is that he will bring parts & characters from one story into another ie Christine sitting in a traffic jam in The Stand with the keys in the ignition with Arnie Cunninghams initials on them. I like that touch.
As far as the films go sometimes the ending lets them down but have you ever noticed that King plays a cameo role in all his films?
 #27 
Old 2002-09-07, 16:05
Doug-44 Doug-44 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

quote:
Originally posted by quandary:
the shawshank redemption, that makes me cry everytime i read it, + the long walk which he wrote as bachman i think


hey that book makes me cry also, well shawshank was good .
 #28 
Old 2002-09-18, 11:35
Eudoxus Eudoxus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

The Tommyknockers...

"tommyknockers, tommyknockers, knocking at the door..."

Fucky mind warping stuff.
 #29 
Old 2002-10-13, 00:33
Tooth Fairy Tooth Fairy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

Yes, the Bachman stories mentioned above do it for me -
it was 'Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption' - also a short story.

The Stand is terrific.

Brent - it is untrue that Stephen King can't write. He is, actually, very talented.
It is simple literary snobbery to say otherwise, and a common flaw of critics, who prefer 'the literary novel'.
There's nothing wrong with entertaining the masses.
 #30 
Old 2002-10-23, 09:40
canadiananarchyinjapan canadiananarchyinjapan is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

Mine is salems lot. It's really dark in a weird kind of way. I liked IT too but it was a bit too cheesy for me.
 #31 
Old 2002-11-03, 13:33
demonbob demonbob is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

quote:
Originally posted by ryanthemeister:
I like that touch.
As far as the films go sometimes the ending lets them down but have you ever noticed that King plays a cameo role in all his films?



What part did he play in the Shawshank Redemption

 #32 
Old 2002-11-04, 02:53
BuD02 BuD02 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

I think that the Dark Tower series is the best work he has ever down from the first book to the fourth they are great. I just hope he finishes the series soon.
 #33 
Old 2002-11-04, 14:58
chase161 chase161 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

THe dark tower series kicks ass, except that the gunslinger should have never brought that damn cripple into the mix. Under Bachman I would have to say that The running man is a damn good book.
 #34 
Old 2002-11-25, 02:54
Hootie McBoobity Hootie McBoobity is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

The Stand - the full version.
 #35 
Old 2002-12-02, 08:15
TheMostAmazingHumbleMan TheMostAmazingHumbleMan is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

I love Stephen King. I started reading him when I was 11 years old and I found the shining in my attic... I've read almost every single thing he's written. The Stand, Shining, and the Dark Tower Series are all amazing but for my money... it's his Richard Bachman stuff that kicks the most ass... there's just such a passion to it that I don't usually see in any other of his stories.

Specificly... "The Long Walk" was the most fucked up and amazing story that's ever been told. I know there's better stuff out there but it'll always be my favorite.
 #36 
Old 2002-12-05, 15:49
quandary quandary is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

Anyone read balck house, the relatively new collabaration between King and Peter Straub? Its pretty good, better than most of his other horror novels.
 #37 
Old 2002-12-06, 02:44
Dagon Dagon is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

"Rage" from the Bachman books is the best story ever. I dream of having the balls that Charles Decker the main charecter has. I mean who hasn't dreamed of just snapping one day and taking over the highscool they went to. I've read that story like 4 times.

And I agree "The Long Walk" is so messed up it's just awesome. Everysince reading The Bachman Books I've read every single Stephen King book.. I've tried reading other authors but I can't get into them.
 #38 
Old 2002-12-10, 23:25
Alex's Ashes Alex's Ashes is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

Cujo's my fav. Pretty much shows both sexes' worst nightmare.

Has anyone read "On Writing"? King talks about growing up, becoming successful, and the pitfalls along the way.

"Tabby began by dumping a trashbag full of stuff from my office out on the rug: beercans, cigarette butts, cocaine in gram bottles and cocaine in plastic Baggies, coke spoons caked with snot and blood, Valium, Xanax, bottles of Robitussin cough syrup and NyQuil cold medicine, even bottles of mouthwash. A year or so before, observing the rapidity with which huge bottles of Listerine were disappearing from the bathroom, Tabby asked me if I drank the stuff. I responded with self-righteous hauteur that I most certainly did not. Nor did I. I drank the Scope instead. It was tastier, had that hint of mint.�

A must read for King fans. It also has some good lessons for aspiring writers.


[This message has been edited by Alex's Ashes (edited 12-10-2002).]
 #39 
Old 2002-12-14, 19:44
KjeXz0r KjeXz0r is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

I've only read carrie, loved it though.
Maybe I'll buy another next time I'm outdoors.
Or a magazine, I have not yet decided.

- Kay
 #40 
Old 2002-12-14, 22:17
Regular
 
Date Registered Nov 2002
Default Re: best stephen king book?

i think taht misery is an excellent book, probably his best. next after that i rekon is the green mile
 #41 
Old 2002-12-17, 23:21
Ignotum Per Igotius Ignotum Per Igotius is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

I havent read any of King's newer stuff , but my favorite was always The Stand. I like long epics .
 #42 
Old 2002-12-17, 23:50
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: best stephen king book?

It - The movie version, I've never viewed clowns the same since. I swear on my life.
 #43 
Old 2002-12-19, 19:07
Vidimidi Vidimidi is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

I've only read three of his books: Desperation, The Stand and Black House (which he wrote with someone else)

I guess out of the three I would have to pick "Desperation".
 #44 
Old 2002-12-20, 09:41
quandary quandary is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

Black House was co-wrote with Peter Straub.
 #45 
Old 2002-12-29, 00:57
urinal2001 urinal2001 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

The Stand. It has to be. Ive read that book so many times, just always draws me in. Dont know which book it is, but my one of my girlfriend's had a REALLY bad phobia of clowns since reading a King book. Maybe ill have to track that one down sometime, lol.
 #46 
Old 2002-12-30, 21:34
lynxtor lynxtor is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

Personally I like "The Shining" the most. It's fucking mind warping shit, it fucked up my mind almost as much as Jack's.

"Cujo" is pretty good. I like it because it's (mostly) realistic; the thing I don't like about King's books is that they start off pretty good but eventually degenerate so much that they rely on ridiculous paranorma to get the "horror" across; something that doesn't "chill" or "horrify" me at all. "It" is one example; it starts off all realistic but eventually just decomposes into stupidity.

That's just my opinion though.

--lynxtor
 #47 
Old 2003-01-12, 16:23
Homesniper Homesniper is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: best stephen king book?

havent read any books but all the short-stories in Night Shift are great. Espes, BattleGround and Trucks, as well as The Ledge and The Man Who Loved Flowers. Its all good.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics