About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Art > Printed Matter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Printed Matter Books, Magazines, and Newpapers. What you read and why you read it. Favorite authors, magazines you read, recommendations for future reading, unusual books and where to purchase them, and sources of strange mail.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-02-01, 07:46
t0ne t0ne is offline
Regular
 
Default Catcher in the rye

What the hell is up with this book?!? I've been told it's such a great book and all I find is a guys ramblings about his shit ass life...what's so special about this book? I'm on the 13th chapter, and it's getting to the point where I just don't want to read.

--and--

I've been told by a (net)friend to buy a book called, "Fight club" It came out recently but who was it by?!?! Jamopy mentioned it in another post but all he remembered was Charles...

Thanks
 #2 
Old 2002-02-01, 12:33
d0m d0m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Catcher in the rye

yea i didnt liek catcher that much either.
i think fight club is by Chuck Palahniuk
 #3 
Old 2002-02-04, 23:25
LostCause1 LostCause1 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Catcher in the rye

Catcher In The Rye is a character study more than anything else and what really intrigued me about the book was how that everyone in the book is someone you know. It's full of catches. For instance, Jane isn't even really a person. She's much more of a piece of Holden. The part of him that still cares about where everything is going in life.

I'm supposing you already got pass the duck and pond thing. The duck and pond thing (if you didn't notice) is a metaphor for Holdens own personal conflict. He just got kicked out of Pency Prep, so does someone come and get him (fix the problem) or is he supposed to do this on his own (fly away). Is he supposed to wait for life to find him or is he supposed to go out and find life.

I don't know if you already got to the part where he meets up with Pheobe, but Pheobe is very much a comfort symbol for him. He's very proud of his brothers and sister. For instance, he seems to feel he's the black sheep of the family and all and he's proud of DB's writing and pissed that he started whoring himself to the big Hollywood execs. About how upset he was when his kid brother died and how fucked up was that of Stradlater. I was pissed when Holden didn't connect with that.

In any case, I thought it was a lot better after reading twice. It makes a lot more sense, then.

Cheers,
Lost
 #4 
Old 2002-02-06, 01:13
t0ne t0ne is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Catcher in the rye

Whoa that was a cool post, I never read into it that deep heh
 #5 
Old 2002-02-13, 08:41
mcfryed mcfryed is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Catcher in the rye

read "Ham on Rye" by charles bukowski, that will cheer you up
 #6 
Old 2002-02-17, 04:54
LostCause1 LostCause1 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Catcher in the rye

Thanks, I really like that book. I've read it about a million times, and each time I read it, I pick up something more.

Steppenwolfe is a lot like that. So is Alice In Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass. Hermann Hesse and Lewis Carrol were fucking geniuses.

Ham On Rye is a great book, too. But, if you read Ham On Rye, you have to read Women directly afterwards.

Bukowski is such a good time. By the time you read Women, you actually like Henry Chinaski.

Cheers,
Lost
 #7 
Old 2002-03-05, 04:37
-=-goatboy-=- -=-goatboy-=- is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Catcher in the rye

The best part about that book was the ending. It left me freaking out, wanting to remain a part of that fucked up boy's life until he got things straightened out. (ie: he figured out that he really did want to be with Jane and all that shixx.) He never quite does what he wants to do. All I wanted the whole time was for him to just get up the fucking courage to go out to the midwest or whatever he wanted to do.

It's a deep book, but its also so glossy on the surface that I thought it was tough to put down. Unfortunately, I had to read it for school, but I'm glad I did.

Read Siddhartha next. That's deep.
 #8 
Old 2002-03-07, 06:07
Yuechi Yuechi is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Catcher in the rye

FIGHT CLUBS THE SHIT, THE MOVIES OK BUT THA BOOK IS THE SHIT AS I SED BEFORE< READ IT BEFORE I KILL YOU BITCH
 #9 
Old 2002-03-07, 06:10
Yuechi Yuechi is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Catcher in the rye

yea, fight clubs by chuck somthin, like dOm sed, read the bood before u see the movie, itl be better,
 #10 
Old 2002-03-07, 06:13
Yuechi Yuechi is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Catcher in the rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuechi
FIGHT CLUBS THE SHIT, THE MOVIES OK BUT THA BOOK IS THE SHIT AS I SED BEFORE< READ IT BEFORE I KILL YOU BITCH
 #11 
Old 2002-03-11, 06:32
LostCause1 LostCause1 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Catcher in the rye

*blinks*

*blinks again*

Is it just me, or did the IQ level just drop fifty points?

Cheers,
Lost
 #12 
Old 2002-03-11, 16:37
Deviant Deviant is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Catcher in the rye

I read Ham On Rye and I didn't think it was great. Don't build it up to be better than it is.
 #13 
Old 2002-03-13, 01:46
junglist junglist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Catcher in the rye

Bukowski is a badass. so is hesse. i liked narciussus and goldmund best though, not most ppls pick. but unlike t0ne, you need to be able to pick up on the metaphors. some books are more than "stories," ya know?
 #14 
Old 2002-03-15, 23:28
EmULAter EmULAter is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Catcher in the rye

If you like fight club, try reading invisible monsters.
 #15 
Old 2002-03-30, 22:07
Bongman Bongman is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Catcher in the rye

Inivisible monsters was really no good. Survivor, his second novel, was excellently written. It's far preferable over his other books. If fight club hadn't been his first novel it probably would have been better, or at least I would have enjoyed the concept more if it was written better.
 #16 
Old 2002-04-03, 05:42
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Catcher in the rye

catcher gets better in the end. i dont like fiction books so i didnt really enjoy this one or any for that matter. it just seems like a waste to fill three hundred pages full of fluff when you can do the same thing in two or three pages of prose.
 #17 
Old 2002-04-06, 19:32
Regular
 
Basking under my light bulb
Default Re: Catcher in the rye

Yeah i can confirm that fight club is by chuck palahniuk.
I havent read it but i read 'choke' by the same geezer.
I wasnt a great deal impressed but it had its ups and downs
Beany
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics