About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Art > Printed Matter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Printed Matter Books, Magazines, and Newpapers. What you read and why you read it. Favorite authors, magazines you read, recommendations for future reading, unusual books and where to purchase them, and sources of strange mail.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-01-11, 07:36
mcfryed mcfryed is offline
Regular
 
Default whats the best book you ever read?

mine has to be Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski
my second would have to be Painted Bird by Jerzy Kozinski
 #2 
Old 2002-01-11, 21:27
LostCause1 LostCause1 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Ham On Rye isn't my favourite, but it's definitely one of my top favourites. Did you read Women? It's kind of a continuation of Ham On Rye. Bukowsky is magnificent. And I know this sounds cliche, but probably Catcher In The Rye, just because I can sit down and read that thing over and over again and not get bored with it.

I'm in the midst of reading Steppenwolfe right now though, and it kicks major ass. But, since I haven't finished it just yet I can't really make a complete and thorough commentary on it.

Cheers,
Lost
 #3 
Old 2002-01-11, 23:31
mcfryed mcfryed is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

ive read just about every bukowski book. he is the shit. even his poetry is good, ever read his biography? he is probably the first successfull drunk.
 #4 
Old 2002-01-12, 22:56
Rustysickle Rustysickle is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

In my case, it would be the book:
Villians by Necessity, I forgot the author.
It gave me an interesting view at good and evil.
I also like most works of H.P. Lovecraft, I am so into this mythos genre. His succesors are not half bad themselves.
 #5 
Old 2002-01-13, 06:54
Fleeebyt Fleeebyt is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

"Diary of a Drug Fiend" by A. Crowley
I liked that one a lot.
 #6 
Old 2002-01-13, 06:57
Fleeebyt Fleeebyt is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Oh yeah....I also liked, "Your life: Why It Is The Way It Is and What You Can Do About it (Understanding the Universal Laws)" by Bruce McArthur. That was pretty cool.
 #7 
Old 2002-01-13, 20:33
sckbch sckbch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

wally lamb: i know this much is true.
 #8 
Old 2002-01-15, 22:45
El_hombre101 El_hombre101 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Villains by necessity was good, i also likea nything by robert heinlin, and greg bear's "songs of earth and power was good"

[This message has been edited by El_hombre101 (edited 01-15-2002).]
 #9 
Old 2002-01-16, 06:29
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

The Ten Things You Can't Say in America by Larry Elder. I listen to his radio show every afternoon.
 #10 
Old 2002-01-16, 23:42
LostCause1 LostCause1 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Hi, Lokil. I haven't gotten a chance to say hello to you yet. So, here it goes: Hello.

Cheers,
Lost
 #11 
Old 2002-01-20, 06:43
Sgt. Baker Sgt. Baker is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Catch 22
I've read it about five times now. It's just so damn funny that I love reading it.
 #12 
Old 2002-01-20, 08:37
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

hey LostGirl. the one time I spoke with your dad left me with an eerie feeling, so if I were in your spot, i wouldn't publish the poems..then again, 'they can't hurt you unless you let them'
 #13 
Old 2002-01-21, 00:11
LostCause1 LostCause1 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

I know, but I'm a sucker and can't help it.

By the way, I don't live with him anymore. I'm back in San Francisco. If you still have my number out here, you should give me a call.

Cheers,
Lost
 #14 
Old 2002-01-21, 03:07
groundcontrol groundcontrol is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

the hardy boys
 #15 
Old 2002-01-21, 18:45
Regular
 
VA
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

The Babbit was good.
 #16 
Old 2002-01-22, 02:06
kingenrage kingenrage is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

misery and needfull things by stephen king
he rules anyone that didnt read one of his books really should... it should get u hooked
 #17 
Old 2002-01-22, 16:28
chase161 chase161 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

A good book was the running man, by stephen king under his alternate name. It is nothing like the movie, and ten times better.
 #18 
Old 2002-01-22, 21:28
junglist junglist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

the babbit? i only remember babbit..

fav book? The Brothers Karamazov, maybe.

 #19 
Old 2002-01-31, 20:11
fourDegrees fourDegrees is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Solaris by Stanislaw Lem, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter Thompson, It Happened in Boston? by Russell Greenan, and The Shawshank Redemption by King.
Also Catch 22, but I don't remember it because I was stoned at the time.
 #20 
Old 2002-02-21, 23:43
Deviant Deviant is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

I bought Ham On Rye and just finished it yesterday. It is very good but it's not the best book I've ever read.
 #21 
Old 2002-02-23, 12:12
anarchy476 anarchy476 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Resident Evil 3 by S.D. Perry.
 #22 
Old 2002-02-27, 00:07
Deviant Deviant is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

That link doesn't work. I even went to the trouble of pressing "refresh." How dare you make me work so intensly. Have at thee coward.
 #23 
Old 2002-02-27, 09:18
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

"On the Road" - Jack Kerouac
 #24 
Old 2002-02-28, 08:47
LostCause1 LostCause1 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

I actually read On The Road while on the road. This guy gave me a copy of it. Very good stuff. And as much as I tried to tell myself otherwise, I really identified with Dean Moriarty.

Did you know that Dean Moriarty was really Neal Cassidy? I read that in a Palm Beach news paper when Ken Kesley died.

Cheers,
Lost
 #25 
Old 2002-02-28, 19:42
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Yup I've read alot about the lives of these writers, they all used pseudonyms for themselves and their friends. Like Japhy from Dharma Bums is actually the Poet Gary Snyder (who is still alive today)

Kerouac was very similar to Bukowski, Bukowski is considered by some to be an honorary beat writer. Mmmmmm alcohol.... I prefer Kesey, Wolfe, and Hunter Thompson's favorites though (the psychadelics).
 #26 
Old 2002-02-28, 19:43
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Not to be picky/anal but it is Dean Cassady.
 #27 
Old 2002-03-04, 22:43
Regular
 
-
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

notes from underground - dostoyevsky.
that book totally helped me through a really bad patch, its really good if u want to bring things into perspective.
 #28 
Old 2002-03-06, 00:46
hellis hellis is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

I will try again.
My favorite book is by Gary Jennings. It is a historical epic titled "Aztec". As the name suggests it is about the last MesoAmerican civilisation to exist before the arrival of Cortes and Christianity. The story revolves around one Aztec, who; by the order of the Roman Catholic church, is told to tell his lifes story in order for the King (Spanish) to learn about the culture. The story is violent, bloody, vivid and long, but incredibly readable. www.garyjennings.net/aztec.htm
This link actually works.

[This message has been edited by hellis (edited 03-06-2002).]
 #29 
Old 2002-03-14, 10:47
SacramentoJAY SacramentoJAY is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

really enjoyed "SHOGUN" also "THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER"
 #30 
Old 2002-03-16, 11:32
ChibiMiko ChibiMiko is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

ENDERS GAME OWNZZZZZZZZZZZ
 #31 
Old 2002-03-17, 05:00
Arthur Arthur is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

The 16th Round by Rubin "Hurricane" Carter. It's definitely the best autobiography I've ever read. For fiction I'd have to say Ocean's Eleven. I finished it in two sittings, very interesting.
 #32 
Old 2002-03-29, 07:25
Sugmrly Sugmrly is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

1984 by George Orwell or Story of B by Daniel Quinn, also Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy by Douglas Adams
 #33 
Old 2002-03-29, 08:50
polarain polarain is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

did anyone else ever read wild child about jim morrison? that was a good read
 #34 
Old 2002-03-31, 05:28
SUPERKILLER1911 SUPERKILLER1911 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Exterminator by William S Burroughs
 #35 
Old 2002-04-04, 06:01
bekgirl bekgirl is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

junkie by william s burroughs
 #36 
Old 2002-04-07, 01:56
SUPERKILLER1911 SUPERKILLER1911 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

You know it bekgirl
 #37 
Old 2002-04-07, 09:19
hepbeat hepbeat is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

gotta love burroughs even though he was a pedophile.


 #38 
Old 2002-04-07, 10:55
SunOptikos SunOptikos is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Howdy!
Hope this isn't tooooo long, LOL

*Red Earth, White Lies; Vine Deloria,

*Coroner; Thomas T. Noguchi, M.D., with Joseph DiMona,

*Inside Job, The Looting of America's Savings and Loans; Stephen Pizzo, Mary Fricker and Paul Muolo,

*Out Of Control, The Story of the Reagan Administration's Secret War in Nicaragua, the Illegal Arms Pipeline, and the Contra Drug Connection; Leslie Cockburn,

*Revised Edition, Psychedelics
Encyclopedia; Peter Stafford,

*Communication Between Man & Dolphin; John C.Lilly, M.D.,

*Secret Agenda, Watergate, Deep Throat And The CIA; Jim Hougan,

*No Contest, Corporate Lawyers And The Perversion Of Justice In America; Ralph Nader,

*JFK, The CIA, Vietnam, And The Plot To Assassinate John F. Kennedy; L.Fletcher Prouty,

*By Way Of Deception, The Making And Unmaking Of A Mossad Officer; Victor Ostrovsky & Claire Hoy,

*The Last Investigation; Gaeton Fonzi,

*One; Richard Bach,

*Witness To War, An American Doctor in El Salvador; Charles Clements, M.D.

More?????

[This message has been edited by SunOptikos (edited 04-07-2002).]
 #39 
Old 2002-04-07, 15:57
freon freon is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

I've read a fair few excellent books in my time and it's hard to say any one of them is the best in any absolute sense. But I liked:

"Silk," by Alessandro Baricco, although as a non-Italian speaker I had to read the English translation. It's very pretty.

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance," by Robert M. Pirsig. If I have a favourite book of all time, I guess I'd probably say this one is it. I've started recommending it to 'newbie hackers' as an introduction to hacking The stuff on Quality uniting classical and romantic thought is thought-provoking, and a good introduction to the 'hacker mindset' I think. Also, this book always makes me want to buy a motorcycle.

The last one I'll mention is "The Rum Diary," by Hunter S. Thompson. I love the way he writes.

- Freon
 #40 
Old 2002-04-07, 23:06
deptstoremook deptstoremook is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Either 1984 (George Orwell)

or tHe Basic WRitings of Sigmund Freud
 #41 
Old 2002-04-09, 06:45
Silent_Smoker Silent_Smoker is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

"What you can believe about drugs" dont know
"Hobbit" by: Tolken
"interview with the vampire" by: anne rice
and a book by thorow (sp?) that i can't remember the name of right now
 #42 
Old 2002-04-09, 14:50
THC 4 U and Me THC 4 U and Me is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Hobbit-Tolkein
Lord of the Rings-Tolkien
The whole Foundation series-Issac Asimov


[This message has been edited by THC 4 U and Me (edited 04-09-2002).]
 #43 
Old 2002-04-09, 15:45
The_Famicommie The_Famicommie is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Hmmm....

1984 was good. I also liked A Clockwork Orange. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was amazing. But, in a retarded spirit of Romanticism, I think my favorite may be The Count of Monte Cristo...
 #44 
Old 2002-04-11, 16:26
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Ok I'm changing my favorite book, It's now Naked Lunch by Burroughs. How could anyone like Junky or Exterminator better than that one. What a wacked out motherfucker! Crazy as a shithouse rat, I'm amazed he could put pen to paper.
 #45 
Old 2002-04-13, 09:01
majik majik is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

"The Talisman" and "Black House" by stephen king is the shit and crime and punishment..thoes are some good books....
 #46 
Old 2002-04-13, 09:05
majik majik is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

I also like books by Louis La'moure prolly "The Sacketts Land" te most.
 #47 
Old 2002-04-14, 17:58
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

quote:
Originally posted by Silent_Smoker:
"and a book by thorow (sp?) that i can't remember the name of right now

Thoreau
Walden?
 #48 
Old 2002-04-17, 02:22
hepbeat hepbeat is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

quote:
Originally posted by tryptamine:
Not to be picky/anal but it is Dean Cassady.


umm no it wasn't it was dean moriarty. neal cassidy was the inspiration for the book. Possibly your thinking about maggie cassady who was jack's love interest in his first book, the name of which escapes me at this moment......

but yeah..

Ken kesey met Kerouac at one point and it wasn't a good meeting. Kesey did something with the american flag, and Jack who by that time was a raging alcoholic got really pissed off and left the party. Neal Cassidy was their only connecting link, and Jack felt too isolated even from Neal in his later years to identify with him.
 #49 
Old 2002-04-17, 03:32
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

ok right hepbeat, what I meant was Neal Cassady, I was just correcting the spelling of his last name. I've read tonnes of beat culture stuff recently. Pretty fucked up individuals.
 #50 
Old 2002-04-21, 07:17
hepbeat hepbeat is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

I'd say so. I used to run a message board about the beats. It was my favorite literary period. I enjoyed Minor Characters a lot, it was Joyce Johnson's story. And it showed a different side of the entire culture. anyway...
 #51 
Old 2002-04-21, 15:27
zapplez zapplez is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

"Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"
"Clockwork Orange"
"Aztec"
"Shogun"
"The Silent Takedown" ( Non-fiction)
and anything written by Uncle Fester
 #52 
Old 2002-04-24, 09:34
cntrdcton0fate cntrdcton0fate is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

I just read the "bell jar"... I was impressed, but my favorite book changes every week, and every time I read something new...

...the simplicity of "jonathan seagull" impressed me. Yes. That will be my claim.
 #53 
Old 2002-04-25, 01:15
neon neon is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Yes Jonathan Livingston Seagull was a very good book indeed.
 #54 
Old 2002-04-26, 01:34
r0k r0k is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

A Wrinkle in time madeline L'engle
 #55 
Old 2002-05-03, 05:48
MR.SMITH MR.SMITH is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

I don't have one favorite, but i liked the myst series alot. All three were good but ide say the 3rd one, the book of D'ni was the best.
 #56 
Old 2002-05-05, 23:03
hellis hellis is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

quote:
Originally posted by zapplez:


"Aztec"
"Shogun"



Excellent choices!

[This message has been edited by hellis (edited 05-05-2002).]
 #57 
Old 2002-05-10, 03:49
somerlost somerlost is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

The best book I've read is Catch 22. It captures the whole of life. Book I've enjoyed the most is American Psycho. Bateman is priceless! The dialogue is great: "... his head looks like a talking vagina and it scares the bejesus out of me." One I would recommend is "Civil War Land in Bad Decline."
Can't remember who the author is and my daughter has the book. It's fiction, short stories, ironic, grim and hilarious.
 #58 
Old 2002-05-11, 14:02
SUPERKILLER1911 SUPERKILLER1911 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

How is the book "Post office" by Charles Botowski or however its spelled.
 #59 
Old 2002-05-12, 13:01
SUPERKILLER1911 SUPERKILLER1911 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

k
 #60 
Old 2002-05-12, 18:07
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

I'm currently reading 'The Tetherballs of Bougainville' by Mark Leyner. It's hilarious!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/067976349X/slide-show/lib_dp_sp_1/102-6322298-6524901#reader-link
 #61 
Old 2002-05-12, 19:23
mcfryed mcfryed is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

i thought post office was pretty good but women is better
 #62 
Old 2002-05-19, 05:24
xengoreth xengoreth is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

I have two favorites, currently:

The Foundation Trilogy- Isaac Aasimov
Cryptonomicon- Neal Stephenson

Unfortunately, I just read to much to have a static favorite book. These two selections will probably be different in a week-- I feel so inadequate...
 #63 
Old 2002-05-20, 02:55
ScorchedWeasel ScorchedWeasel is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

A few of my favorites are "The Hobbit," "Misery," and The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
 #64 
Old 2002-05-20, 04:50
Regular
 
Basking under my light bulb
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

The hobbit is a cute little book, but i have no idea why its so popular.
It seems to me that there was one goal in the story and other incidences were evenly spaced apart to make the journey more interesting.
 #65 
Old 2002-05-20, 21:08
ScorchedWeasel ScorchedWeasel is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Pretty much It's pure entertainment start to finish. No significant point and it remains simple, probally part of the reason it's popular. Like an old fairy tale without the moral.
 #66 
Old 2002-05-29, 17:24
sirenoftitan sirenoftitan is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Gender Trouble, by Judith Butler
 #67 
Old 2002-05-29, 17:25
sirenoftitan sirenoftitan is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

oh, and Naked Lunch

goood book

i suggest everyone reads it
 #68 
Old 2002-06-01, 10:49
psycH0 psycH0 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

I would have to say - Lord of the Flies.

I absolutely loved it. Coral Island isn't bad either.

laterz
psycH0
 #69 
Old 2002-06-16, 13:03
Renegade Renegade is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Tolkiens bought me alot of happy time whilst riding buses !

Peace Renegade,
 #70 
Old 2002-06-21, 14:28
ThunderChunky ThunderChunky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

I'd also have to say The Count of Monte Cristo is the best that I've read.
 #71 
Old 2002-06-22, 09:08
FireDaisyTrip FireDaisyTrip is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

oooo...no doubt its 1984.....i am reading it again too...big brother is watching...
 #72 
Old 2002-06-23, 09:38
ChibiMiko ChibiMiko is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

quote:
Originally posted by ChibiMiko:
ENDERS GAME OWNZZZZZZZZZZZ


HELL YA....that was my fav book...damn...that book was cracked

quote:
Originally posted by anarchy476:
Resident Evil 3 by S.D. Perry.


I dont know why but I used to read books based on video gaesm (Resident Evil 1, I got half way thru warcraft 1 but then I hated it, and starcraft 1 and 2)

And I loved all of em but the warcraft one and iv never played Resident Evil
 #73 
Old 2002-06-26, 09:23
Droogian Droogian is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

the stranger by Albert Camus.
read it if you ever decide to find out the true meaning of life...
 #74 
Old 2002-07-04, 20:31
Regular
 
VA
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Those Barren Leaves by Aldous Huxley

Mein Kampf

Beowulf

Beyond the Horizon by Eugene O`Neil

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick

This thread is great. I've found some good books through it.
 #75 
Old 2002-07-05, 00:20
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

i dont know about favorit but a few good ones i have read are:

fahrenheit 451
I Robot
fightclub
perl for dummies (of course)

....and a few others that i cant remember...
 #76 
Old 2002-07-05, 00:25
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

I just read Post Office by Bukowski and it was good. Got a little confusing at the end (although that could have been the heat mixing with how tired I was).
 #77 
Old 2002-07-05, 23:03
Joe Boo Joe Boo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan.
 #78 
Old 2002-07-08, 22:18
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

quote:
Originally posted by sirenoftitan:
Naked Lunch


Good book.

Ever read The Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut?

 #79 
Old 2002-07-10, 11:11
luse86 luse86 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Particular faves of mine........

The Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse

Count Zero/Neuromancer/Mona Lisa Overdrive by William Gibson

Valis by PKD

If This Is A Man/The Truce by Primo Levi

And just started reading Vonnegut so have to mention Breakfast of Champions & Slaughterhouse 5
 #80 
Old 2002-07-10, 11:15
XeNobiTe XeNobiTe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson

Imagica by Clive Barker
 #81 
Old 2002-07-10, 21:40
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Who wrote Fight Club and Choke and Survivor?
 #82 
Old 2002-07-14, 23:09
Regular
 
AIM/YIM: Kakkaraun
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Easy. It's a tie between all of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

J.R.R. Tolkien is the best author who ever lived.
 #83 
Old 2002-07-15, 17:56
Regular
 
Basking under my light bulb
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

The Hobbit aint all that
And Xenoss, it was Chuck Palanuik (last name maybe spelled wrong).
My fave book so far is The Princess Bride.
 #84 
Old 2002-07-17, 23:45
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

I've never read the book, but was Princess Bride as good as the movie?
 #85 
Old 2002-07-20, 04:21
Agent Boris_KGB Agent Boris_KGB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

''steal this book right now you fucker''
 #86 
Old 2002-07-20, 18:22
Regular
 
Basking under my light bulb
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Yeah
I think the book is fantastic
There is more background story about fezzik and inigo which makes inigos revenge much more satisfying
 #87 
Old 2002-07-21, 04:09
hp hp is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?


'Caligula' and 'The Stranger'; both by Albert Camus, and Sartre's 'No Exit'.

And to those who said the Hobbit, don't you guys think that the Lord of Rings trilogy was much better? The Hobbit was more like a kiddie book, whereas LOTR was totaly out of this world.
 #88 
Old 2002-07-22, 04:44
Global Dominator Global Dominator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

If you want a good book, nothing beats any of the 11 Horatio Hornblower books by C.S. Forester. They have it all; women, tall ships, the sea, plague, hanging, cannon duels between ships that carried at least 30 cannons or more to a side, blasting things on land, floggings, intrigue, cheating on your wife, wholesale slaughter, arson, pistol duels, hacking guys with a cutlass, killing rats with your teeth, the list goes on and on.
 #89 
Old 2002-07-23, 05:07
infofreek92 infofreek92 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

"Soulmate" By,L.J. Smith

That is the best book I have ever read,follows my life rather well....I love Thierry,Lord of the Night World,he is my favorite character.
 #90 
Old 2002-07-23, 06:46
James1rob James1rob is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Catch 22
 #91 
Old 2002-07-24, 22:05
kefak kefak is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?


The Reality Dysfunction was a good book

A Clockwork Orange aswell.
 #92 
Old 2002-07-26, 14:47
schmover schmover is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

chuck palahnuik wrote fight club and survivor. another good one by him is invisible mosnters, although, of course, bizzare.

desolationangels and on the road and dharma bums kerouac

collected poems of rimbaud

beowulf

neuromancer

diaries of john muir

three pillars of zen, anything on buddhism. escpecially by Robert Thurman.
 #93 
Old 2002-08-06, 20:11
Sweet Victory Sweet Victory is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

I couldnt say what my all time favorate is. The best book I've read recently is the chrysalids by John Wyndam. It was imaganative but also very believable.
 #94 
Old 2002-08-06, 23:09
djsam djsam is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Best book ever is Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron.
 #95 
Old 2002-08-06, 23:14
djsam djsam is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

quote:
by him is invisible mosnters, although, of course, bizzare.



I think Invisible Monsters is his best actually

Oh, and I changed my mind...American Psycho is the best book ever.

 #96 
Old 2002-08-07, 00:02
piggarro99 piggarro99 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

trainspotting is a very good book by irvine welsh
 #97 
Old 2002-08-07, 00:05
Sweet Victory Sweet Victory is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

i dont know why my post didn't show up before...that is like the 3rd time this week that has happened....anyway, my favorites are:

*fiction*
The Bell Jar
A Wrinkle in Time
The Great Gatsby
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

*non-fiction*
Gracefully Insane
A Genius in the Family
The Journals of Sylvia Plath

i am sure im forgetting one. perhaps ill remember later.
 #98 
Old 2002-08-07, 22:07
Cokeboy Cokeboy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Chuck Palahniuk is an excellent author, one of my all-time faves...
I really liked Alex Garlands "The Beach", a helluva lot better than the film. "The Tesseract" didn't work though.
"The Stand" by Stephen King is good, can't really be called literature(!) but the scope of it is brilliant.
Irvine welsh is great as well.
But I read a helluva lot, thats what I've really been reading in the last couple of weeks, so it's still on my mind, so don't quote me!
 #99 
Old 2002-08-20, 04:40
Dr Know Dr Know is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

A breif history of time - Steven Hawking
 #100 
Old 2002-08-25, 15:12
some_crazy_fool some_crazy_fool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

les mains sales -- sartre i cant beleive no one has mentioned him yet!
 #101 
Old 2002-08-25, 18:46
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

I have only read his short story The Wall but I'll look that one up at the library.
 #102 
Old 2002-08-29, 02:44
MaTrIXSpiirit MaTrIXSpiirit is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

The Bible, well the collection of books in there. I also enjoy other historic books. The only book I really liked was "A catcher in the Rye" or the play "The crucible." Other than that, I only read computer books or science related matter.

-=MaTrIXSpiirit=-
 #103 
Old 2002-08-29, 02:48
MaTrIXSpiirit MaTrIXSpiirit is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Oh yeah, and that book....ummm....

"Alive"

I guess I really like a lot of books.

-=MaTrIXSpirit=-
 #104 
Old 2002-08-29, 11:21
ryanthemeister ryanthemeister is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Haven't really got a top book ever as mine changes every couple of weeks but books that are definetely worth a read are: (in no order!)
Ringolevio - Emmett Grogan
American Psycho - Brett Easton Ellis
Fear & Loathing - HST (The Daddy)
The Beach - Alex Garland
Lord of the Flies - William Golding
On the Road - Jack Keroac
Mr Nice - Howard Marks
Tales of the Unexpected - Roald Dahl
Glue - Irvine Welsh (Hard to read if your from the US!)
Round Ireland with a Fridge - Tony Hawks
Whisky Galore - Compton Mckenzie
Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
The Stand - Stephen King
No Logo - Naomi Klein
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest - Ken Kesey

[This message has been edited by ryanthemeister (edited 08-29-2002).]
 #105 
Old 2002-08-29, 21:41
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

The Crucible was a very emotional play. It really moved me. It was one of those plays/books that makes you want to just stand up and scream at them for being so ignorant.
 #106 
Old 2002-09-17, 00:18
RedBananaMonkey RedBananaMonkey is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

the greatest book ever...

'The 48 Laws of POWER'

utterly brilliant, a must for evil dominators with plots of world domination everywhere!!!

 #107 
Old 2002-09-24, 05:36
Regular
 
eagan mn usa
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe


42
 #108 
Old 2002-09-27, 18:51
Swukker Swukker is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

As others have said - impossible to give an absolute answer but here are some I have enjoyed recently:

Tad Williams' Otherland series - The structure of epic fantasy in a unique sci-fi setting - 4 long books, one novel.

Many of Sherri S Tepper's books but especially The Family Tree - You need to suspend disbelief with the denouemnent but it brought a tear to my eye.

All of Jeff Noon's books, especially The Nymphomation.

Lord of the Rings - again!


 #109 
Old 2002-09-29, 15:17
Regular
 
VA
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Churchhill's History of English-Speaking People's

 #110 
Old 2002-10-11, 02:23
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Astral projection book,

CTR
 #111 
Old 2002-10-11, 04:58
Flim Flam Flim Flam is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Let's not forget Don Delillo
He's even an author that's still alive!
How many of those are out there nowadays?
As for something he has written, he confuses me so that i might as well be illiterate. Maybe that's the point: the reader has no clue what the author intended, but we can always pretend. White Noise, for instance, was about the continuance of cracker talk.

Dr. Seuss is the way i like it. Straight to the point. Hop on Pop. Cat in the Hat. Man with the yellow cat. Smelly Simon sat on a diamond, turned into a piece of clay. Have a jolly olly day!
 #112 
Old 2002-10-11, 11:30
Regular
 
Melbourne
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

quote:
Originally posted by fourDegrees:
Also Catch 22, but I don't remember it because I was stoned at the time.


Don't think it would've make much difference
that is one major trippy book

Heller - Catch 22
Pratchett - Soul Music
Dahl - Tales of the unexpected... that guy was tripped out
Golding - Lord of the Flies... boys will be boys
Clavell - King Rat... people will be people
Burgess - A Clockwork Orange... Pity the movie completely missed the point
and what I've read so far of Crime and Punishment

If plays count:
Miller - The Crucible
Sophocles - all three of them Theban plays
 #113 
Old 2002-10-12, 03:09
Regular
 
VA
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

I haven't read it yet, but from what I've seen, Cattus Pesatatus looks good.
 #114 
Old 2002-10-13, 00:42
Tooth Fairy Tooth Fairy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

The Border Trilogy - Cormac McCarthy

Miss Smilla's Feeling For Snow - Peter Hoeg

Anything by Elmore Leonard, James Elroy, Terry Pratchett's all good, Thorne Smith. Erm there's Sooooooooooooooooo many!!
 #115 
Old 2002-10-14, 17:37
guevara guevara is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
Fury
The Ground Beneath Her Feet

Trainspotting
The Waste Land (not technically a book, I know)
i - six nonlectures - e e cummings
Eqqus - Peter Schaeffer (again, not a novel)
Naked Lunch, just for sheer weirdness value
 #116 
Old 2002-10-27, 01:21
DaHc DaHc is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Shrodinger's Cat by Robert Anton Wilson.
 #117 
Old 2002-10-30, 17:14
stokesy stokesy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett or Snuff Fiction by Robert Rankin
 #118 
Old 2002-10-30, 19:54
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

quote:
Originally posted by DaHc:
Shrodinger's Cat by Robert Anton Wilson.


Any specific one? Or all three of them?
 #119 
Old 2002-11-02, 02:16
123Tool 123Tool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Neuromancer (predicted where the internet is going now... 20 years ago)

Steppenwolfe

Jitterbug Perfume (all you "hackers" should read this - you don't understand anything until you understand this author)

LOTR

Doctor Zhivago (again, anyone demanding a new world order NOW should read this book; remember revolution has been tried)

The Moor's last sigh

My book (when I finish it; currently untitled)

anything by Terry Pratchett but he's not as funny as Douglas at his best

Battlefield Earth (just kidding, it's the worst effing book I have EVER read, it made me want to throw up it was so inane... and that was before I found out about Scientology...)

 #120 
Old 2002-11-03, 11:21
demonbob demonbob is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

My favorite book is The Lord of the Rings (obviously)
But anything written by Terry Pratchett, Stephen King or David Gemmel
 #121 
Old 2002-11-05, 20:59
lamar lamar is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Dirty white boys by stephen hunter.
 #122 
Old 2002-11-09, 02:31
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

DUNE!!! DEFINATLY DUNE!!! ESPECIALLY THE NEW ONES! I HAVE TO READ EACH ONE, LIKE 5 TIMES THEY ARE SO KOOL!
 #123 
Old 2002-11-09, 15:42
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Space, do you even WANT us to take you seriously?
 #124 
Old 2002-11-10, 18:15
TribalMunkey TribalMunkey is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

I've always had a thing for the King Arthur stuff, and the best series I've found it the one written by A.A. Attanasio. He also wrote a kick ass Crow book called HellBound.

But I've always found the best books are the ones you kind of pick at random because nothing really seems to stick out.
 #125 
Old 2002-11-13, 18:38
Askr Askr is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Dracula the movies might suck but the book's pretty good.
 #126 
Old 2002-11-16, 06:10
blacksheep blacksheep is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

AGH! there's some many books noone else has mentioned... guess it means my selections suck... but i'll still share them with you
(i don't know many of the authors, sorry)
white oleander (the movie IS NOTHING compared to the book)
Slammerkin -emma Donoghue
the Sam Callahan series... skipped parts, sorrow floats, social blunders- Tim Sandlin
The Bell Jar- Sylvia Plath
Anything by Gertrude Stein ( i can't read to much of it at much but it's trippy as fuck)
Girl Interrupted (FUCKING AWESOME!)
Slaughterhouse 5
THE VAGINA MONOLOUGES -Eve Ensler
The Red Tent (AGAIN: FUCKING AWESOME!)

those are A FEW feel lucky that it's late at night and my memory is shot
-sharon
 #127 
Old 2002-11-23, 20:07
TheSell0ut TheSell0ut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

So difficult.
Any Tolkien book.
Any Raymond E. Feist book.
Poisons & Antidotes (simply because it seems very straight forward and no-nonsense).
 #128 
Old 2002-11-25, 02:51
Hootie McBoobity Hootie McBoobity is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

She's Come Undone - Wally Lamb
Knots - R.D. Laing
Hominids - Robert J. Sawyer

Some general "fun read" favorite authors:
Spider Robinson
Greg Iles
John Case
Nelson DeMille
Kyle Mills
Stephen King
Dean Koontz
Janet Evanovich

 #129 
Old 2002-12-03, 03:26
Regular
 
VA
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy is pretty good, and important in understanding Utopian thought and the dreams of an era.
 #130 
Old 2002-12-05, 15:51
quandary quandary is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Anything by:

Chuck Palahnuik
Stephen King
Iain Banks
Mario Puzo
Bret Easton Ellis

Oh, and the diceman by Luke Rhinehart.
 #131 
Old 2002-12-05, 22:39
Regular
 
umm that place near that other place
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

i like tolkien and all his books dealing with middleearth. i dont know if hes done anything else but i do know those are his best.
catch 22 is awesome.
 #132 
Old 2002-12-07, 07:47
Nyk Nyk is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

"Looking Backwards" is ok, in a REALLY naive way. Yeah, it helps you understand the way intellectuals viewed the future back then, but...well...it's just not realistic.

My favorites are the Chung Kuo series by David Wingrove.
 #133 
Old 2002-12-07, 19:17
Regular
 
VA
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

It's also funny in some ways. Instead of having music recorded or broadcast they have it transmitted through acoustic sound pipes.
 #134 
Old 2002-12-08, 20:01
brainuser brainuser is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Without a doubt, Dune is the greatest book ever written.
 #135 
Old 2002-12-09, 10:43
govinda govinda is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

dune is a great book on many levels not just sci-fi.
too bad nobody will make it a movie true to the book like lord of the rings is getting done - it has so much more to the story. nobody has even gone past the first 3 books.


my favs at the moment

Nausea - Satre
On the Road - Keourac (this book is so fun)
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Pirsig (i do not like Lila by same author)
and In Search of Lost Time - by Proust... this guy has orgasms about everything yet they seem totally geniune - haven't finished the whole collection yet but he can vividly talk about one object for half a volume.

[This message has been edited by govinda (edited 12-09-2002).]
 #136 
Old 2002-12-09, 11:03
The pharmacist The pharmacist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

The great shark hunt. HST
The Prince. Machiavelil
The Art of war. Sun Tso
Evervile. Clive Barker
The Stand. SK
Mucho mojo, the two bear mambo, rumble tumble, savage season,bad chilli, dead in the west. anything else by Joe Lansdale...great fun author.
 #137 
Old 2002-12-13, 06:22
govinda govinda is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

shit I forgot Huckleberry Finn... god I loved that book.
 #138 
Old 2002-12-15, 18:38
speedracer speedracer is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

the "electric kool-aid acid tests" by tom wolfe tells the whole story of Ken Kesey, Neal Cassidy (able to see around corners and such),the merry pranksters, etc...and Tom is good friends with Hunter S. Thompson (he used HST's tapes of the hell's angle's/merry prankster party in the book);my personal hero.
 #139 
Old 2002-12-15, 19:58
Terbo Terbo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

The Universe in a Nutshell - Hawkings

Not exactly light reading, it took me a long time to work through and grasp the concepts in that book, but it's mindblowing how much those people know!

And Fight Club absolutly ruled.
Also, Lost Moon - Jim Lovell is a really interesting book. Written by the commander of Apollo 13, it's pretty cool.
 #140 
Old 2002-12-17, 23:22
Ignotum Per Igotius Ignotum Per Igotius is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson and Bob Shea
 #141 
Old 2002-12-24, 18:39
Regular
 
VA
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini.
 #142 
Old 2002-12-24, 23:02
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

House of Leaves

It's a great, great book.
 #143 
Old 2002-12-28, 12:53
SilentBlob SilentBlob is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Mine would be Poe . comeon The Raven ,it dont get any better than that my kids.
and Angelas Ashes ,,any Irish guy will agree with me,brings back memories and alot of pride in that,right right.
 #144 
Old 2002-12-28, 16:15
CoffeeJunkie CoffeeJunkie is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Too many good books...
Walden-Henry David Thoreau
Prozac Nation-Elizabeth Wurtzel
The Prince-Machiavelli
Girl Interrupted-Susanna Kaysen
The Catcher in the Rye-J.D. Salinger
White Oleander-Janet Fitch
The Shining-Stephen King
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter-Carson McCullers
Catch-22-Joseph Heller
A tale of two cities-Charles Dickens (would have been better if it wasn't butchered in school)
 #145 
Old 2002-12-29, 08:26
Canyonero Canyonero is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon.
 #146 
Old 2002-12-29, 19:45
shadowboxer187 shadowboxer187 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

-Demian by Hermann Hesse
-On the Road by Jack Kerouac
-The Stranger by Albert Camus

these ones were very thought provoking to me
 #147 
Old 2002-12-30, 21:18
lynxtor lynxtor is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

"The Last Legends of Earth" by A.A. Attanasio

"Red Dragon", "Silence of the Lambs", "Hannibal" by Thomas Harris (They are all FAR BETTER than the movies)

The MYST Series (the Book of Ti'ana was the best in my opinion)

"The Shining", "Cujo" by Stephen King (again, they are both way better than the movies)

"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K. Dick (better than its movie, "Blade Runner", which incidentally is nothing like the book)

Anything by JRR Tolkien

"The Ants" by Holldobler and Wilson

"Skeleton Crew" by Stephen King (yes I know I have mentioned Stephen King already but I forgot this)

The Bible by... multiple authors (I'M NOT RELIGIOUS! I'm as atheist as they come! It's just really interesting to read the views of christians, and the stories and mythos of the Bible.)

--lynxtor

[This message has been edited by lynxtor (edited 12-30-2002).]
 #148 
Old 2003-01-02, 17:44
Lollypop_PornStar Lollypop_PornStar is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

Trainspotting, ya theres a movie too. who doesnt like herion addicts
 #149 
Old 2003-01-03, 09:14
ryanthemeister ryanthemeister is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: whats the best book you ever read?

quote:
Originally posted by Lollypop_PornStar:
Trainspotting, ya theres a movie too. who doesnt like herion addicts


Yeah it's good but if you liked Trainspotting then you really should read Pornno (Irvine Welsh) which is the follow up to Trainspotting and it really is excellent. Find out what happens to Renton, Begbie Sickboy and of course Spud.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics