Re: The Lucifer Principal
I will soon, the premise is something I can relate to:
from booklist
Author Bloom examines humankind to reveal the motivations of individuals and groups and the forces that drive history. He draws on current research in such fields as genetics, molecular biology, communications theory, and political science to develop the theory he calls the Lucifer Principle. Overall, his theory imparts a pessimistic slant to all human endeavor, past, present, and future, for his arguments are presented as immutable principles: that individuals inevitably subordinate personal interests to the group, which, in turn, functions as a superorganism, for example, street gangs, corporations, or nations; that humans instinctively strive for status in a pecking order arrangement, much like chickens or rats, and, thus, subjugating groups on the lower rungs of the ladder is instinctual. Utilizing historical examples, from the Roman Empire to Communist China, from Kamikaze pilots to terrorist bombers, Bloom pecks away at the edifice of "human kindness," "justice," and "peace." A disturbing book, but its broad generalities wear down the sharp edges of its arguments, leaving something that becomes food for thought rather than reason to despair.
I'll get back to you after I read it..after this semester..
|