About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Art > Printed Matter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Printed Matter Books, Magazines, and Newpapers. What you read and why you read it. Favorite authors, magazines you read, recommendations for future reading, unusual books and where to purchase them, and sources of strange mail.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2001-05-27, 07:46
atomictied atomictied is offline
Regular
 
Default Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Flies is the best book.
Since it was written in the 50's, refrences to the cold war, WWII, and communism are hidden throughout the book.

A)What did you think about the book?
B)What are your interpretations of symbolism and refrences to the cold war and WWII
 #2 
Old 2001-05-27, 10:18
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: Lord of the Flies

Themes I've found:

People will abuse power when it's not earned.

When given a chance, people often single out another to degrade to improve their own security.

You can only cover up inner savagery so long before it breaks out, given the right situation.

It's better to examine the consequences of a decision before you make it than to discover them afterward.

 #3 
Old 2001-05-28, 01:45
atomictied atomictied is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Lord of the Flies

quote:
Originally posted by Lokil:
Themes I've found:

People will abuse power when it's not earned.

When given a chance, people often single out another to degrade to improve their own security.

You can only cover up inner savagery so long before it breaks out, given the right situation.

It's better to examine the consequences of a decision before you make it than to discover them afterward.



Yeah, I found those on a site though.

What I saw regarding the cold war was this:

Piggy + Ralph + Glasses + Conch = Democratic countries

Jacks Tribe = Communists

Lord of the Flies = Ideas driving Communism

Sweeping Ululation = Dominoe theory

Parachute "Beast" = Result of Lord of the Flies and product of war

The cookout where all the kids go to Jack's tribe = dominoe theory

Piggy, Ralph, Samneric going to castle rock=
War where the remaining countries are forced into communism

And also, the being of unity, Samneric, split up into Sam and Eric after Piggy's glasses are stolen. This has to do with the saying "Together we stand, devided we fall," because they are then captured by Jacks tribe

Thats just what I saw, I could be wrong, and theres more stuff that I don't know and that I didn't say, so feel free to add to or correct my statements
 #4 
Old 2001-05-28, 03:07
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: Lord of the Flies

Did I say I made them up or "found them" I'm a lawyer dude, leave me alone.
 #5 
Old 2001-05-28, 05:18
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default Re: Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Flies, Animal Farm, Alice In Wonder, and Catcher In The Rye are my two favourite books. Lord of the Flies is definitely on top.

The older version of Lord of the Flies is a lot better than the newer version, mostly because I think the acting was better and I feel that the characters better fit their parts.

Very heavy stuff, especially if you're into politics. It really makes a lot of things clear just about human nature and the way things work in government.

Cheers,
Lost
 #6 
Old 2001-07-03, 12:27
Dr.Fumanchu Dr.Fumanchu is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Lord of the Flies

I'm sorry but I think you have all analyzed the book in the wrong way. Golding's own remarks on the book had nothing to do with polilical hidden meanings. What he said was that is was mostly about man's ability to have a dark side. In which every man is capable of evil.
In what ways do you see Jack as a Communist?

Furthur more, the word Beelzebub translates into Lord Of the Flies.
The conch and piggy represented civilization. Jack represented a man currupted by evil.

The references Golding made to the war was not for political reasons. It was to contrast the similarities of the boys on the island and the "grown-ups". Throughout the book you can find the boys saying things such as "I wish an adult was here, they'd know what to do". But the ironic thing was that adults were no better, fighting in the war.

I don't really thing Willy was trying to send subliminal messages about communism in his work. But who knows. What I've said is the commonly accepted interpretations of his work.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics