About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Mad Scientists
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mad Scientists Science and Mathematics discussion-- theories, arguments, citations, proofs and pudding.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2003-01-10, 10:06
abacus3 abacus3 is offline
Regular
 
Default Mathematical & Scientific films

PI was a great film. Beautiful Mind was also pretty good. Anyone else know of any decent science-based films that are mainstream enough to find in a video store or on the net?
 #2 
Old 2003-01-10, 17:26
pink spid3r pink spid3r is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Mathematical & Scientific films

Planet 9. A very low budget film, and the director led an odd life along with his career. I once knew of one site that has old science fiction movies for download. Let me see if I can get a hold of that website.
 #3 
Old 2003-01-10, 18:34
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: Mathematical & Scientific films

Contact.
 #4 
Old 2003-01-10, 19:40
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: Mathematical & Scientific films

No, not contact. If you start going into alien movies you might as well say that Close Encounter with the third kind is scientific, or that star wars is scientific.

Hmmm a good scientific movie. Operation sord fish, Sneakers, hackers... Or does computer science not qualify?
 #5 
Old 2003-01-10, 19:49
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: Mathematical & Scientific films

Contact was a good scientific film. It showed a lot of different technologies and presented a time of space travel that could theoretically be possible. The movie is dumbed down version of the book, which is full of science (get Kip Thorne as a friend and it's hard to avoid).
 #6 
Old 2003-01-11, 01:26
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: Mathematical & Scientific films

Not so much a film as a book and a game: The Dig.
Goes on all about this think called space-time-six... but anyway its really interesting.

[This message has been edited by SpaceFalcon2001 (edited 01-11-2003).]
 #7 
Old 2003-01-11, 02:42
Regular
 
Redding, CA
Default Re: Mathematical & Scientific films

I agree with abacus3 'pi' was a great film. It was really fucked up, but great in the same instance.
 #8 
Old 2003-01-11, 05:45
biot biot is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Mathematical & Scientific films

2001 homies. allthough the movie losses most of the real science the books goes through.
 #9 
Old 2003-01-13, 11:00
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Mathematical & Scientific films

It may suprise you, ubergeek that I am, that I have never seen pi, or beautiful mind. In fact, I can't think of any other good math/science films. Though if you watch Nova on PBS there are some amazing subjects, everything from entemology to artifical diamonds (one of my favorites, half the lab equipment was made from 7-up 2 liters).

As for Contact, it was a dumbed down version of the book, but there was some interesting social commentary on human reactions when faced with the unknown.

I wouldn't even count hackers as computer science. Again there was the exelent social commentary built in, but lets be realistic. These people were drooling over 28.8 modems, downloading stuff at fantastic rates, pulling graphics that machines at that time were totaly incapable of doing, and videoconfrencing on a laptop that wasn't even connected to the phone. Not to mention the scene where the laptop screen was projecting on the wall behind it. Not to dis the movie or anything, it is one of my favorites. But in no universe could it be considered a computer science movie.
 #10 
Old 2003-01-13, 19:04
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: Mathematical & Scientific films

I've always wondered why I enjoy that movie even though I realize how horrible it is.
 #11 
Old 2003-01-13, 21:34
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: Mathematical & Scientific films

Prometheus is right, but what about something like say, Six days (getting off computer science)
or star trek is a little with the whole transporter thing and other stuff, the newer ... Dammit, whats the old show with the robot: DANGER DANGER WILL ROBINSON? Well the new movie is a little scientific... Thats all i can think of for now.
 #12 
Old 2003-01-13, 22:06
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: Mathematical & Scientific films

Lost in Space
 #13 
Old 2003-01-14, 01:06
corruption corruption is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Mathematical & Scientific films

quote:
Originally posted by Prometheus:
[stuff about Hackers]


I thought Hackers 2 was a lot better. I loved the ending when he goes to the ATM.
 #14 
Old 2003-01-14, 15:50
Chunkmiester Chunkmiester is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Mathematical & Scientific films

I thought that "Perfect Geometry" was a pretty good film. Some bloke played by Ewen McGregor (sp?) trys to figure out schematics of the universe or something and he ends up being able to remove things from existance. Its a pretty good film but i was drunk at the time so i don't remember all the details. In my opinion though, films that don't have much to do with the restrictions of reality and feasibility are normally better than those that stick to the rules of physics, or even those that stick with common sense.

[/Chunk]
 #15 
Old 2003-01-14, 19:50
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: Mathematical & Scientific films

Donald Duck in Mathemagical Land.
 #16 
Old 2003-01-14, 21:52
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: Mathematical & Scientific films

Stargate is kool.
 #17 
Old 2003-01-15, 08:34
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Mathematical & Scientific films

quote:
Originally posted by corruption:
I thought Hackers 2 was a lot better. I loved the ending when he goes to the ATM.


Are you shitting me? I have never heard of sequal.
 #18 
Old 2003-01-15, 21:46
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: Mathematical & Scientific films

The Lawnmower man is pretty good as well. We mentioned tron right?
 #19 
Old 2003-01-16, 03:51
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: Mathematical & Scientific films

quote:
Originally posted by xenosss:
Donald Duck in Mathemagical Land.


Hell yes! Best damn movie ever! I watched that thing 4 times in one week actually.

And anybody who hasn't seen War Games... Damn, great movie.

[This message has been edited by Zok (edited 01-16-2003).]
 #20 
Old 2003-01-26, 14:14
dcl dcl is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Mathematical & Scientific films

i remember seeing Until the end of the world a long time ago, has anyone else seen it, its basically about recording dreams, through some device- eventualy turning everyone psychotic. some interestintg ideas etc. id like to see some others on this theme if anyone knows of it, oh yeah i also thought existenze was a great film, but im not sure if it falls in the science category so smoothly.
 #21 
Old 2003-01-26, 15:09
redmanphu redmanphu is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Mathematical & Scientific films

quote:
Originally posted by xenosss:
I've always wondered why I enjoy that movie even though I realize how horrible it is.


angelina jolie!
 #22 
Old 2003-01-26, 17:32
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Mathematical & Scientific films

Hell yeah.

A friend of mine insists that everything in the movie is feasable, except the sprinkler test. While I admit the sprinkler test is impossible, there are other problems too.
 #23 
Old 2003-01-27, 01:13
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: Mathematical & Scientific films

Prometheus, not to tell you how to do your job (or exactly tell you how to do your job), don't you think some recent threads need to be deleted?
 #24 
Old 2003-01-28, 00:20
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Mathematical & Scientific films

Did some of that last night. I haven't been on in about a week cause of problems with my computer. I'm amazed and pleased that so little trouble sprouted up without my being here. Last time I had computer trouble I ended up with people screaming for my head on a pike. Such is life.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics