About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Mad Scientists
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mad Scientists Science and Mathematics discussion-- theories, arguments, citations, proofs and pudding.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-18, 23:23
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Divide by Zero

I read an article that shows how one can indeed divide by zero. They also proved why you can, not just how you can. Their reasoning behind not allowing it was that if you *do* divide by zero you get irrational statements like 4=0. Naturaly, as humans we can only think within the box. This exact same theory is what the fourth dimension is based off of. If I can find the article I will post a link but I have had some trouble locating it. If anybody knows what I am talking about go ahead and post the link.
 #2 
Old 2002-12-19, 00:09
ytrewq ytrewq is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Divide by Zero

quote:
Originally posted by Zok:
I read an article that shows how one can indeed divide by zero. They also proved why you can, not just how you can. Their reasoning behind not allowing it was that if you *do* divide by zero you get irrational statements like 4=0. Naturaly, as humans we can only think within the box. This exact same theory is what the fourth dimension is based off of. If I can find the article I will post a link but I have had some trouble locating it. If anybody knows what I am talking about go ahead and post the link.


hurry! post it! post it! i want i want! I've got a nasty div/0 bug in a program i'm writing and this might save me the trouble of fixing it. science is cool.
 #3 
Old 2002-12-19, 00:30
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: Divide by Zero

The way i think of it, 4/0 is 0 since it is 0 4 times. how many times does 4 go into 0? 0 times! how many times does 0 go into 4? 0 times! (or infinite times if you wanna play it that way)
 #4 
Old 2002-12-19, 02:41
jsaxton14 jsaxton14 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Divide by Zero

I would still have to insist that it is undefined, basically since according to my knowledge (granted I am only in trig), there are no real answers when you divide by zero. I would love to see a counterexample, PLEASE POST!
 #5 
Old 2002-12-19, 05:35
Quantized Quantized is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Divide by Zero

in first year calculus there are some instances where "imaginary numbers" are used, such as the square root of negative one. these numbers do not exist mathematically but they are sometimes used to help simplify complex equations. so using numbers that do not exist is not unprecedented.
 #6 
Old 2002-12-19, 05:38
Quantized Quantized is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Divide by Zero

oh yeah, first year calculus also assumes that in the equation x=a/h where a is any non-zero number as h approaches zero (limit h->0) x=infinity
 #7 
Old 2002-12-19, 11:27
jsaxton14 jsaxton14 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Divide by Zero

I am familiar with imaginary numbers as well, we had a unit on them last year in algebra II. However, I do not see how these could be used when dividing by 0. For those of you that don't know i simply means the square root of -1. I am familiar with asymptotes as well, but even in a function that creates an asymptote 0 is still undefined.

Again, I am very interested in this and look forward to seeing this article.
 #8 
Old 2002-12-21, 16:58
The Eternal Andy The Eternal Andy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Divide by Zero

Indeed. Please find and post!

Though I would feel slightly dubious about this method until I've seen it, as division by zero being defined would solve *so* many mathematical and physical problems that it would probably be quite big news.....
 #9 
Old 2002-12-21, 21:41
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: Divide by Zero

I think a bunch of us know you CAN divide by zero, it's just that you don't get a logical or defined answer. We can't process it. Though, then again, the way math was created you can't divide by nothing. You'd get into higher levels of math or new levels of math.
 #10 
Old 2002-12-22, 19:05
Forum Administrator
 
Columbus Ohio
Default Re: Divide by Zero

As I recal, to prevent irrational statements like 0=4 and stuff like that, they created a special annotation for 0 division, similar to i
 #11 
Old 2002-12-22, 22:36
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Divide by Zero

It would seem to me that any number divided by zero would equal infinity, and in turn infinity multiplied by zero could equal any number at all. Because infinity is a mathmatical abstract it would seem to fit in fine with a formula that demands an abstract answer.
 #12 
Old 2002-12-23, 02:32
Regular
 
somewhere up there
Default Re: Divide by Zero

What I wanna see, is the graph of a function with division of 0 involved.
 #13 
Old 2002-12-23, 09:25
Necron_With_Bionics Necron_With_Bionics is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Divide by Zero

It would probably be 4th dimesional though (aka hard to draw).

Oh and I might add that it is commonly accepted that the 4th dimension is 'time'. So now think about how to draw the graph!
 #14 
Old 2002-12-23, 21:08
localgh0st localgh0st is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Divide by Zero

Dimensions are units of measurement. A dimension can be anything like time, distance, children per family or price. You can't say that the 4. dimension is time, this is only true for some physical systems.

a/x goes to infinity if x GOES to zero(lim(x->0) a/x)This doesn't mean that a/0 is infinity. This is imortant and if you don't belive me consider the graph of f(x) = 1/x !
 #15 
Old 2002-12-24, 13:08
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Divide by Zero

Even in physics the 4th dimention isn't always time.
 #16 
Old 2002-12-25, 21:28
Fathomshot Fathomshot is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Divide by Zero


What I wanna see, is the graph of a function with division of 0 involved.


Graph (2x-3)/(3x-3)

When x equals 1, there will be a discontinuity because (3(1)-3)=0
and at this point it will be undefined.

You'll just have a little open space at x equals one, and then line will continue.
 #17 
Old 2002-12-25, 22:35
random5703 random5703 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Divide by Zero

My god, fathomshot, you really have to improve your math a bit. First the 1/I=R/V and now this!

That graph isn't like this. You don't have a small undefined dot in the middle of a regular curve, but you have a vertical asymptote at x=1. The graph goes to + infinity from left and to - infinity from right (and is of course undefined at x=1)

(Come to think of it, the two mistakes are kinda similar. Also for 1/I=R/V, zero in denominator isn't just one undefined point, but the graph goes to infinity. You really do have a problem with division by zero.)

An example for a graph involving an undefined (omitted) point in a regular curve is y=(6x-6)/(3x-3). The graph is a horizontal line at y=2 with a small omitted point (shown with a small hollow circle on the line) at the coordinates (1,2) [assuming you won't understand it, it means x=1, y=2].
Another example is (9x^2-9)/(3x-3) which is a line with the slope 3, intersection with y at (0,3) and an omitted-undefined point at (1,6)
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics